Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Alien movies should be mean

strong agree, it's cosmic horror. if you're a human you either die or go insane. not great news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I don’t like the implication that the xenomorph isn’t some ancient horror that the crew of the Nostromo woke up, but rather something created by an android only 18 years before.

My head canon is that the xenos have always been that way, and that David’s experimentation didn’t change anything one iota, outside of variance we’ve already seen (dog alien, etc).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

As much as I love Prometheus I also like to think the space jockey ship is just another version of the Nostromo. The galaxy is full of cosmic awfulness and even the giant space elephants are dumb idiots who got their poo poo hosed up cause one of them couldn't help but look inside an egg.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I don’t like the implication that the xenomorph isn’t some ancient horror that the crew of the Nostromo woke up, but rather something created by an android only 18 years before.

My head canon is that the xenos have always been that way, and that David’s experimentation didn’t change anything one iota, outside of variance we’ve already seen (dog alien, etc).

Going by the mural in the canister chamber(?) and the creation of the Trilobite & Deacon in Prometheus permutations of the Xenomorph have always been linked to the black goo and it isn't a novel creation of David, he just got it to be expressed in the particular incarnation we see in the Alien films and he's still just dipping his toes in the unknowable waters of whatever the hell the black goo actually is

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

After months of people shrieking that they don't want to wear a mask and they want to pretend everything is normal so they can go back to Great Clips, any lingering qualms I had about horror movie characters making dumb decisions in dangerous circumstances have washed away.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

After months of people shrieking that they don't want to wear a mask and they want to pretend everything is normal so they can go back to Great Clips, any lingering qualms I had about horror movie characters making dumb decisions in dangerous circumstances have washed away.

If God wants me to follow this creepy evil android into the basement to peer inside an extremely sus egg, then he'll take me

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 23, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

His character did think that

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

multijoe posted:

Going by the mural in the canister chamber(?) and the creation of the Trilobite & Deacon in Prometheus permutations of the Xenomorph have always been linked to the black goo and it isn't a novel creation of David, he just got it to be expressed in the particular incarnation we see in the Alien films and he's still just dipping his toes in the unknowable waters of whatever the hell the black goo actually is

Yeah David was working on it for some time from already existing concepts and the xenomorph itself as he already saw portrayed+read about. It's not like he personally created or invented them.

I do wish we had gotten a third flick to wrap things up. I know as of last like May he was officially developing one but there hasn't been anything since then so I assume it's dead.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/gray/status/1275377090527924227

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah David was working on it for some time from already existing concepts and the xenomorph itself as he already saw portrayed+read about. It's not like he personally created or invented them.

It's crazy how many people came away from the films not getting this. But in a way I understand why, because so much of David's learning comes without any obvious exposition. Like in Prometheus, how he basically goes around learning the ship's systems but it's not like there's ever a conversation where he lays all of this out to the audience. You just see him doing it.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Alien movies should be mean

I disagree. The two best movies in the series (in my opinion) both ended on somewhat positive notes. In Alien, Ripley not only saves herself and kills the Xenomorph, but she also saves Jonesy. In Aliens, she destroys the alien colony, kills the alien queen, and saves both Hicks and Newt. Sure, tons of bad things happen along the way, but if bad things happen 100% of the time, I think the movies change from engaging to depressing. I would argue that the first major misstep of the series was killing Hicks and Newt at the beginning of Alien 3, robbing viewers of the semi-happy ending that Aliens implied.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DorianGravy posted:

I disagree. The two best movies in the series (in my opinion) both ended on somewhat positive notes. In Alien, Ripley not only saves herself and kills the Xenomorph, but she also saves Jonesy. In Aliens, she destroys the alien colony, kills the alien queen, and saves both Hicks and Newt. Sure, tons of bad things happen along the way, but if bad things happen 100% of the time, I think the movies change from engaging to depressing. I would argue that the first major misstep of the series was killing Hicks and Newt at the beginning of Alien 3, robbing viewers of the semi-happy ending that Aliens implied.

Wait until you have goons coming out saying that Hicks and Newt dying was the best thing that Alien3 did which I never understood.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
e: lol ^^^

Killing Hicks and Newt sucks if you're a fan of Aliens (and I am) but it kind of owns as a decision for the general Alien universe, where things range from "God is indifferent and cruel and you are meat" to "God hates you, personally."

Aliens is really the outlier.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sigher posted:

Wait until you have goons coming out saying that Hicks and Newt dying was the best thing that Alien3 did which I never understood.

I just say that because it makes people mad. lol

But I do think it was a positive because it made for a really great deeply nihilistic film, which is perfect somedays when you're feelin real lovely lmao.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Alien 3 is kind of about theodicy only its take on God seems to be “he doesn’t exist and we’ll all die trying to do the right thing but you gotta try anyway.” Or maybe it’s the xenos who are coded as God and Ripley crucifies herself to destroy Jesus.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The xenos are the tools of an uncaring god, but Ripley forces herself into the Jesus role by means of self-crucifixion. The universe acquiesces and she is allowed to resurrect (takes a little bit more than 3 days tho).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's ironic because one of the rejected Alien 3 scripts was some kind of religious allegory about monks living inside a wooden moon

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

I just say that because it makes people mad. lol

But I do think it was a positive because it made for a really great deeply nihilistic film, which is perfect somedays when you're feelin real lovely lmao.

You know, I think you made me realize one of the reasons I don't like it that much, there's no point in the film where you feel good, there's no relief since Ripley dies at the end instead of escaping a nightmare for the third time in a row so you don't get that "She made it" moment. It really is dreary and a total downer.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's ironic because one of the rejected Alien 3 scripts was some kind of religious allegory about monks living inside a wooden moon

Yeah a lot of the religious stuff in the movie is leftover from that like the monastic simple farming life/etc. It all got changed around for them being prisoners but it's definitely there. But IIRC the wooden planet one ended with I guess what would have been the equivalent of the Clemens character living to the end but sacrificing himself to save Ripley/kill the last alien. Newt's death was meaner too as it involved her getting facehugged and then the alien busting out of her early because she was a kid/died from the process and going into Ripley. that was originally meaner with it growing in Newt but then leaving too early and going into Ripley. And at the end it was removed from her (I think it just ledves through her mouth?) and gets into that character, who immolates himself to kill it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
They should get a bunch of different filmmakers to all make new Alien 3 movies, release them all, but have all or none of them be canon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sigher posted:

You know, I think you made me realize one of the reasons I don't like it that much, there's no point in the film where you feel good, there's no relief since Ripley dies at the end instead of escaping a nightmare for the third time in a row so you don't get that "She made it" moment. It really is dreary and a total downer.

It is, but I dunno. Sometimes I enjoy a good bleak flick. I do think it’s happy, in a way. Ripley doesn’t suffer any more, and she ride the universe of the alien on her terms. I think it’s kind of a beautiful downer ending, and the music really helps. One of my favorite pieces of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_4nAJsUYe0

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

alf_pogs posted:

strong agree, it's cosmic horror. if you're a human you either die or go insane. not great news

see, i kind of don't like this take. an uncaring universe, as the first four movies present, is not the same thing as a hateful universe, as Prometheus and Covenant present.

in the "original" Alien movies, sure, the xenomorphs are horrifying, can easily demolish someone in a straight fight, and will probably kill you if you're not very prepared for them. but you can be prepared for them, and if you know what you're getting into and how to fight them, or if you're drat good at learning that stuff on the fly, you'll probably make it out. the universe doesn't contort itself to gently caress Ripley over, or present her with an insurmountable foe; it simply puts her in a very difficult situation, that she is able to rise to.

in the late Scott movies, the universe almost feels like it's actively contorting itself to give humanity the middle finger at every turn. it's not presenting its characters with a difficult, but surmountable, situation; it's presenting them with their own deaths, plain and simple, and the only variable is what hosed up way they're going to die in.

i don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, and i like the Scott movies, but it's not the same tone as the other Alien movies, and frankly i don't want it to be. they're good as separate-but-related things.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like, compare what happens to Shaw to what happens to Ripley after the first Alien, and you'll probably notice what I'm talking about. Shaw actually does rise to the situation and make it out alive... and it just gets her vivisected by David, because the universe hates humanity. she doesn't get to keep going. she doesn't get to actually survive. all that's left of her in the next movie is a broken recording of her singing Country Roads and a bunch of scattered parts.

that's a drat good gut punch in and of itself, but it also brings the tonal change into sharp relief. the late Scott movies are distinctly nihilistic in a way that the franchise, even at its darkest, never was before, and I think anyone expecting that out of non-Scott Alien stuff needs to seriously recalibrate their expectations.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

in the late Scott movies, the universe almost feels like it's actively contorting itself to give humanity the middle finger at every turn. it's not presenting its characters with a difficult, but surmountable, situation; it's presenting them with their own deaths, plain and simple, and the only variable is what hosed up way they're going to die in.

What are some examples of this? Seems to me the characters keep putting themselves in harm's way.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lord Krangdar posted:

What are some examples of this? Seems to me the characters keep putting themselves in harm's way.

first off, I feel like a lot of why it comes off as that is because we know the dangers and are relatively detached from the situation, whereas they have no loving clue what they're getting into and, by the time they do, are generally having to think fast (which doesn't generally equate to thinking smart). the characters in the late Scott movies behave fairly realistically, and it turns out that real people tend to make dumb fuckups pretty often, especially when they're having to think on their feet in unfamiliar situations.

but past that, the whole plot of Prometheus is more or less an example: Weyland devotes huge amounts of time and effort to trying to find "humanity's forefathers" and wakes up an Engineer... and it just snaps his neck and starts rampaging, because it turns out humanity's creators hate us for existing and actively want to kill us. that's not even subtextual, it's a very explicit thing in the movie. there's also, as I mentioned, how Shaw turns out. there's nearly the entire cast in Covenant, who get deliberately lulled into a false sense of security by David so that he can slaughter them in horrifying ways (and he even lets Daniels think she can survive, only so he can experiment on her the same way as Shaw).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you view David as the protagonist like I do, both Scott sequels are very uplifting.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

as someone said before, it seems unfair to criticise people in Alien movies for the way they behave when you look at how a lot of folks are handling coronavirus

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

first off, I feel like a lot of why it comes off as that is because we know the dangers and are relatively detached from the situation, whereas they have no loving clue what they're getting into and, by the time they do, are generally having to think fast (which doesn't generally equate to thinking smart). the characters in the late Scott movies behave fairly realistically, and it turns out that real people tend to make dumb fuckups pretty often, especially when they're having to think on their feet in unfamiliar situations.

but past that, the whole plot of Prometheus is more or less an example: Weyland devotes huge amounts of time and effort to trying to find "humanity's forefathers" and wakes up an Engineer... and it just snaps his neck and starts rampaging, because it turns out humanity's creators hate us for existing and actively want to kill us. that's not even subtextual, it's a very explicit thing in the movie. there's also, as I mentioned, how Shaw turns out. there's nearly the entire cast in Covenant, who get deliberately lulled into a false sense of security by David so that he can slaughter them in horrifying ways (and he even lets Daniels think she can survive, only so he can experiment on her the same way as Shaw).

It seems like the first part of that is the answer to the second. The characters behave pretty realistically, and make huge mistakes like real people do (even smart people). And their biggest mistake is assuming that a member of their creator race gives a poo poo about them or what they want. As David points out, the Engineers aren't necessarily going to treat humans any better than humans treat him. So when that expectation comes crashing down spectacularly, its not really the universe contorting itself against them. Its just the inevitable conclusion of their own chosen course, that they all failed to see coming. Its less of a mean or nihilistic concept, and more of a cautionary tale.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

see, i kind of don't like this take. an uncaring universe, as the first four movies present, is not the same thing as a hateful universe, as Prometheus and Covenant present.

The Alien/Final Destination shared universe.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

alf_pogs posted:

as someone said before, it seems unfair to criticise people in Alien movies for the way they behave when you look at how a lot of folks are handling coronavirus

Yes but most of the population is quite dumb. In Covenant and Prometheus the only one capable of making any good decisions are Shaw and David, everyone else is just dumb.

At least in the Alien films you have people who are in over their heads but try logical solutions to deal with the bullshit they're dealing with to the best of their capabilities but it doesn't matter because the bullshit at hand is way beyond anyone's control since they're truckers, grunts (No offense) or prisoners. In the prequels you've got the brightest minds together all doing really dumb things just for the sake of them getting killed on camera.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I can believe that a lower-class person like a trucker can be undeserving of life, but you’re telling me that a millionaire president and his entire staff would be disastrously incompetent? Well that’s just a bridge too far!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

When the protagonist is a villain their winning isn't uplifting (this isn't a judgment on the quality of the films). The ending of Hereditary is treated as triumphant but that magnifies the horror.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I can't help but giggle everytime someone complains about the "dumb" Prometheus crew

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Something I realized too, is that the series is saying blue collar people, who have to make more hands-on decisions, are better at decision making than white collar people, who don't.

Alien had it all covered via Ripley nope-ing letting them onboard and it literally took the Company to override it.

Shaw is the exception, but she was also trying super hard to prove herself and overachieved constantly in life probably. Idris Elba's crew was cool, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If anybody cares given the current mess regarding Lowtax and more domestic abuse:

Kaedric posted:

https://breadnroses.net/

Go to an offsite that was created in reaction to the lovely moderation and nazis on SA instead of one created because people weren't allowed to be nazi enough, for a change.

WampaLord posted:

Anyone who wants an invite, just go to https://breadnroses.net/ and register, I will approve, let me know the username you select if it is different.

Also be patient if it takes a little bit, there is a queue I am getting through as quickly as I can.

BreadnRoses already has a lot of people who've moved over, seems rad and actually has good QOL features SA doesn't have (dark mode is freakin' nice). If you want to register they're letting everyone in for free while GBS burns and the entire admin/mod team is in some kind of standoff with Lowtax for apparently beating a third woman so yeah.

Posting this here because I freakin' love this thread and don't want the community to die. BnR seems cool and is being flooded right now but seems promising, kinda like when NeoGAF imploded and everyone went to ResetERA.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

SUNKOS posted:

If you want to register they're letting everyone in for free while GBS burns and the entire admin/mod team is in some kind of standoff with Lowtax for apparently beating a third woman so yeah.

Where is this information? I can't see it on the site.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

There's a stickied thread at the top of this and every forum. Also a huge thread in GBS that's moving faster than anyone can keep up with. What's important is the victim is now safe with friends however.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SUNKOS posted:

BreadnRoses already has a lot of people who've moved over, seems rad and actually has good QOL features SA doesn't have (dark mode is freakin' nice). If you want to register they're letting everyone in for free while GBS burns and the entire admin/mod team is in some kind of standoff with Lowtax for apparently beating a third woman so yeah.

Posting this here because I freakin' love this thread and don't want the community to die. BnR seems cool and is being flooded right now but seems promising, kinda like when NeoGAF imploded and everyone went to ResetERA.

Registration still requires an invite code to submit on my end.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Weird. I don't know what could cause that. I registered without one and it took me to the next page to complete registration. I closed it and sent the PM to WampaLord saying my username was different to my SA name and I was approved after a while. Maybe shoot him a PM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bread+Roses is a really stupid name for a forum. Also you can't even browse it without signing up?