Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Amazon Lightbox was trash. Just gonna hunt down some little portable light diffusers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Last time (only time) I ordered replacement parts from them they sent damaged parts each time.

I’ve had pretty good luck with them in past. This time the parts aren’t broken, they’re just wrong

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So hopefully I can get an answer before the forum crashes and burns:

Can someone recommend an airbrush that is decent for detail work on minis? I have a badger Patriot 105 that is great for priming, base coating, terrain, and vehicles, but I'd like one for the small fiddly spaces. Preferably no more than $300.

Does such a thing exist?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Iwata hpcs

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Perfect, thanks!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

What? That's just stupidly lazy.

Swear to god. Heres the box art;

Note the Watcher at the back, wing with obvious foreshortening as the right wing is pointed towards the viewer

Heres the back of the box, with the 3d render

So far, so good, its a good match for the pose in the art. Tiny wee feet give a small contact point, but thats Malifaux.

Heres the model on its own

Something doesnt look quite right, but hey, its difficult to get all the model in focus, its probably making the foreshortening look weird as one wing is pointed towards the camera, right?

Heres the model from above;

And that is why when you are moving your production from hand sculpting to 3d renders you really need to make sure than an actual human casts a critical eye over the result. One wing is just drastically smaller than the other. There is, for the record, no indication on the model that the wing is being unfurled or anything, no creases or anything like that. He just has one big wing and one wee wing. Dude is just going to be flying in circles.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
That would drive me ape poo poo.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I mean, sure, but what can you do about it? If you trim the big wing down it'll still look wrong (the vanes on the big wing are much much longer than the vanes on the small wing), scratch building a replacement wing would be a massive pain and beyond my sculpting ability (I can more or less manage gap filling and maybe making a replacement for a missing knife blade or some tentacles or something). I kind of find it more funny than anything else. It does look more or less fine from straight on, its just from any other angle it looks wrong. I think if I played the model it might bug me more, but I mainly just enjoy painting the malifaux figures, I've never actually played the game. I assume they'll make a new sculpt if/when they make a 3E box for the "Augmented" keyword.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I kinda thought Malifaux had folded, tbh. It certainly dried up in my local scene.

Doubt anyone really plays it...probably they just play with the minis.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Meeple posted:

Does that help enough?

Thank you, this is excellent!

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Seldom Posts posted:

So hopefully I can get an answer before the forum crashes and burns:

Can someone recommend an airbrush that is decent for detail work on minis? I have a badger Patriot 105 that is great for priming, base coating, terrain, and vehicles, but I'd like one for the small fiddly spaces. Preferably no more than $300.

Does such a thing exist?

I’ve heard good things about the Badger Sotar!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

I mean, sure, but what can you do about it? If you trim the big wing down it'll still look wrong (the vanes on the big wing are much much longer than the vanes on the small wing), scratch building a replacement wing would be a massive pain and beyond my sculpting ability (I can more or less manage gap filling and maybe making a replacement for a missing knife blade or some tentacles or something). I kind of find it more funny than anything else. It does look more or less fine from straight on, its just from any other angle it looks wrong. I think if I played the model it might bug me more, but I mainly just enjoy painting the malifaux figures, I've never actually played the game. I assume they'll make a new sculpt if/when they make a 3E box for the "Augmented" keyword.
That's just the silliest-bad Malifaux model I've ever seen. There're 3 different Watcher cards, so they might be re-sculpting that one.

Gameko posted:

I kinda thought Malifaux had folded, tbh. It certainly dried up in my local scene.

Doubt anyone really plays it...probably they just play with the minis.
3rd edition is actually really good, uses the same models, and the rulebook and cards are free to download and print. It's had a bit of a resurgence around here, but it's still a pretty hard sell.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
May as well keep posting until the forums actually implode. I finished up 3 plague marines in the Dusk Raiders colors, to supplement the little kill team I have based on the Space Marine Heroes 3 set.

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 25, 2020

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Thank you!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Giant Ethicist posted:

May as well keep posting until the forums actually implode. I finished up 3 plague marines in the Dusk Raiders colors, to supplement the little kill team I have based on the Space Marine Heroes 3 set.

Fantastic! Love the scheme and how it pops.

The colors and highlights on the tentacles and gross bits is slick. Highlights everywhere really!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

The Sotar has been great for me, but I haven't tried any other high end brushes so I can't say how it compares to the competition. Also, 2020, the year of the Sotar, is your chance to get a gold plated one http://badgerairbrush.com/Special_Offer_YOTS.asp

Seems silly but it probably appeals to someone.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I have a Sotar and I really like it, but the tank is a little small and sometimes it's a little annoying if you have to do large batches. And you also can't really mix in it because there's not much room. But that's basically nitpicking, everything else is really good.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I have a Badger 105, I like it. Some day I would like to try another airbrush, what's the difference between Sotar and the Patriot 105?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i got a sotar in their birthday offer in january, it should arrive any month now!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

I have a Badger 105, I like it. Some day I would like to try another airbrush, what's the difference between Sotar and the Patriot 105?

Sotar is designed even more for fine detail. Standard needle is smaller, smaller paint cup, and has an adjustable needle stop. You can get pretty small needles for the 105, too, although my Sotar sprays nicer. That could just be my 105 being a bit clapped out, though.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I went with the Iwata HP-BH over the C for my detail brush because the smaller cup size helped a lot for not obscuring my vision. The Sotar 20/20 is similar in design, obviously not something you'd want to use to say, prime an entire army. But I have a larger brush already so the combination is perfect and also keeps it easier to keep my detail brush perfectly clean as I never spray primer through it.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I’ll hop in and suggest the Sotar too. It’s been my workhouse the last several years. Amazing for detail work and versatile enough to do batch priming.

It’s relatively cheap on Amazon rn too

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

In celebration of the forums surviving, here's some Godsworn Hunt progress

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Giant Ethicist posted:

Ahhh, not only is it fab, but the Dusk Raiders colour scheme give me good lore vibes too.

Also also I've been following your contrast recipe and it's been giving me great results! Thanks again GE, I appreciate ya!

FAKE EDIT: Huzzah at SA continuing!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

DrDraxium posted:

Ahhh, not only is it fab, but the Dusk Raiders colour scheme give me good lore vibes too.

Also also I've been following your contrast recipe and it's been giving me great results! Thanks again GE, I appreciate ya!

FAKE EDIT: Huzzah at SA continuing!

Glad it's working out - you'll have to share!

I'm digging the Dusk Raiders scheme, at least in part because I occasionally get sniffy "well, that's an unusual scheme for Nurgle" comments and get to feel all superior inside.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

In celebration of the forums surviving, here's some Godsworn Hunt progress

I already praised these on discord but drat they are great.

I just painted this fancy yelling magic man.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Lizard update: I've been putting off doing the bastiladon from before while I work up the nerve, and in the meantime I've tried my hand at a terradon. Except I've now come up against all sorts of new and innovative problems!

This is what I managed, hopefully you can see what I was going for here but it was a real painful process. I tried to glaze purple into the shadows instead of washing the model, and it kinda worked, except it looks fairly muddy and patchy. Presumably it's the purple colour and I just need something else. The underside looks "wrong" to me for some reason, like it's too red, but I can't figure out what it needs to make it look better...

The attempt at freehanding speaks for itself :v: not that I'm very surprised, but it was a real chore just getting paint off the brush at all. Is this a job for flow-improver? is it bad brushes (shedding straight out of the back ftw) or is it bad technique? The yellow stripes went as badly as the last time and I really don't get how I would make them look good, but also the bone part of the markings looks very thin and chalky too for some reason, no matter how many layers I put down. I might just swap them out for more traditional purple markings next time.

And finally, the head looks very... plastic? which I think is from drybrushing and washing too hard. When I do the other 2 I'll probably start with black and work it back up to grey instead.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
im just painting rats

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

gently caress I really like the... idk, “comic book” aesthetic of the faces? Looks awesome

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Nebalebadingdong posted:

im just painting rats

It's hard to develope a competent but recognizable personal style in this hobby like you have, good job!

Cross posting my thing:

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Still working on my animal themed knights and posting them in our final days!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It's hard to develope a competent but recognizable personal style in this hobby like you have, good job!

I feel this way too, I feel I could pick something you’d painted out of a tableful of minis, a rare achievement.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Lizard update: I've been putting off doing the bastiladon from before while I work up the nerve, and in the meantime I've tried my hand at a terradon. Except I've now come up against all sorts of new and innovative problems!

This is what I managed, hopefully you can see what I was going for here but it was a real painful process. I tried to glaze purple into the shadows instead of washing the model, and it kinda worked, except it looks fairly muddy and patchy. Presumably it's the purple colour and I just need something else. The underside looks "wrong" to me for some reason, like it's too red, but I can't figure out what it needs to make it look better...

The attempt at freehanding speaks for itself :v: not that I'm very surprised, but it was a real chore just getting paint off the brush at all. Is this a job for flow-improver? is it bad brushes (shedding straight out of the back ftw) or is it bad technique? The yellow stripes went as badly as the last time and I really don't get how I would make them look good, but also the bone part of the markings looks very thin and chalky too for some reason, no matter how many layers I put down. I might just swap them out for more traditional purple markings next time.

And finally, the head looks very... plastic? which I think is from drybrushing and washing too hard. When I do the other 2 I'll probably start with black and work it back up to grey instead.

Okay so apparently vallejo bronze fleshtone is actually light yellow-orange and not the light brown I thought it was??? It has great coverage so this solves all my problems.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

im just painting rats

I love these, every time I look at one it tricks my brain into thinking it's a painting.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nebalebadingdong posted:

im just painting rats

I love the NMM on these guys and also how it looks like a cel-shaded game

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
thanks! my camera pics are still not the greatest. everything comes out too pink...

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
What are peoples favorite airbrush-ready paints? I tend to mix my own w/ flow improver plus whatever color I like, but I'm just absolutely terrible at maintaining/hitting the right consistency; I consistently over thin =(

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
There's the Vallejo air line, but I still wouldn't use 'em straight from the bottle.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the vince venturella video on quickly cleaning your airbrush is also lowkey the bible on how much to thin your paints for airbrushing

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

I already praised these on discord but drat they are great.

I just painted this fancy yelling magic man.

Thanks, your eye turned out great as well!

Finished another half-naked dude

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Crosspost from the 40k thread.

JackMann posted:

Finished up the first of the rubric marines!

Pretty much all contrast, aside from the freehand on the tabard and right shoulder (the eye of Horus). And of course the side of the head where I was experimenting with various methods. And a wash of white in the runes on the gun. But other than that, all contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Giant Ethicist posted:

Glad it's working out - you'll have to share!

I'm digging the Dusk Raiders scheme, at least in part because I occasionally get sniffy "well, that's an unusual scheme for Nurgle" comments and get to feel all superior inside.

To outdo a grognard on lore is one of life's enjoyable bonuses.