Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The ADTRW discord's great for jrpg discussion imo and has a lot of posters from this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

The ADTRW discord's great for jrpg discussion imo and has a lot of posters from this thread.

Is there one that has existed prior to earlier today? I'm in one but it looks brand new

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they're talking about an older one that isn't really official and is more casual about discussing stuff. i don't have links tho

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ah well, i decided to make a casual one anyways for general rpgs and megaten plus some other rpg series (i dunno if some of them already have their own discords though)! :v: this is only a temporary invite for a day, but if anyone's late + interested they can just pm me! https://discord.gg/jvbg3M

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Stelas posted:

There are a couple other discords which might be smaller and more managable, snail's at https://discord.gg/GEe3Sp and FirstAidKite has one in the chat thread

that link doesn't work, invalid

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Uhhh I guess it timed out, maybe check if another one got put in the chat thread or ask there?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SE is making a new TWEWY..........anime!

https://subarashiki-anime.jp/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

SE is making a new TWEWY..........anime!

https://subarashiki-anime.jp/

They better drat-well engage with the fashion mechanics for better stats. :colbert:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So. I'm old and can't focus on or enjoy super dialogue-heavy anime-trope filled games any longer. I was looking for a sprite-based RPG recently and checked out Radiant Historia 3DS and had like 3 battles in the first hour of play, which was certainly something.

I'd love a suggestion for something:
- that clocks in at like 20 hours max
- tight/fast story without a ton of side-quests
- doesn't feature the usual JRPG trope characters of "meek cleric beta male," "feisty attractive female fighter," "stoic knight" and such
- preferably playable on a portable system (which can include emulation of old systems)

Thanks for any moderately serious consideration of my old man shouts at clouds question.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's nothing sorry

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ShaneB posted:

So. I'm old and can't focus on or enjoy super dialogue-heavy anime-trope filled games any longer. I was looking for a sprite-based RPG recently and checked out Radiant Historia 3DS and had like 3 battles in the first hour of play, which was certainly something.

I'd love a suggestion for something:
- that clocks in at like 20 hours max
- tight/fast story without a ton of side-quests
- doesn't feature the usual JRPG trope characters of "meek cleric beta male," "feisty attractive female fighter," "stoic knight" and such
- preferably playable on a portable system (which can include emulation of old systems)

Thanks for any moderately serious consideration of my old man shouts at clouds question.
you're looking for chrono trigger.

if you've already played chrono trigger, i have bad news for you. also the only portable thing it's on is the DS

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Amppelix posted:

you're looking for chrono trigger.

if you've already played chrono trigger, i have bad news for you. also the only portable thing it's on is the DS

OK I will finally make myself finish CT. Is there a definitive version? I can emulate anything that it was on at this point I suspect.

I also just got the GBA modded rom of FF6 with the SNES music and color pallet fix, so maybe that? But I remember that being long. I finished it back in high school and never played it again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chrono is a beta male and all the girls are feisty fighters, rejected

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

with that many 'not actually like a jrpg' criteria you're probably looking at western indie game takes on the genre like Cosmic Star Heroine

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tales of Woe posted:

with that many 'not actually like a jrpg' criteria you're probably looking at western indie game takes on the genre like Cosmic Star Heroine

I think my question does read "recommend me a JPRG that isn't a JRPG" but I would definitely be interested in non-JRPG-RPGs as well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Frog is a stoic knight....

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shadow hearts, tales of eternia unless you want to get really sticky about what counts as those jrpg stereotypes?

i dunno why those party stereotypes are counted as a jrpg thing when they're just kinda generic fantasy party archetypes though. you're not really going to find a ton of games that adhere strictly to them that aren't already adhering to pretty basic fantasy

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Colonel posted:

i dunno why those party stereotypes are counted as a jrpg thing when they're just kinda generic fantasy party archetypes though. you're not really going to find a ton of games that adhere strictly to them that aren't already adhering to pretty basic fantasy

It's less the character roles and more the character dialogue.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ShaneB posted:

- doesn't feature the usual JRPG trope characters of "meek cleric beta male," "feisty attractive female fighter,"
What jrpgs are you playing and where can i find them

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
Masquerada: Songs and Shadow kind of fits your requirements. It's short, linear and has some pretty drat good characters.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
english fan translation released for metal max 3

https://metaldreamers.redhook.duckdns.org/metal-max-3-english-translation/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amu264knZ9M

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ShaneB posted:

OK I will finally make myself finish CT. Is there a definitive version? I can emulate anything that it was on at this point I suspect.
yes, and it's the DS version. The steam version is the exact same featurewise but it's a bit rough (for example it ran kinda choppy at 30 fps when i played it)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How long is Nier? I think that might be a good one.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Endorph posted:

What jrpgs are you playing and where can i find them

Radiant Historia

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Id argue Octopath is light in text and anime tropes (for the most part). Generally you get a quick vignette, then a dungeon to run through. Might still be too much though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

are you trying to say radiant historia is somehow free from the dreaded curse of the character archetypes

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Amppelix posted:

are you trying to say radiant historia is somehow free from the dreaded curse of the character archetypes

No I meant I read that post as asking what I was playing with those particular archetypes and that was the game that kinda triggered my consternation.

If they meant "what games did you play WITHOUT those" then yeah the list beyond western RPGs is ... zero?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

Frog is a stoic knight....

and so is rosch for that matter lol but i misread that and thought they were using radiant historia as an example of a game where there isn't one.

you know what jrpg doesn't have a stoic knight is Chocobo's Dungeon 2

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 25, 2020

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What is an RPG where every party member is a stoic knight

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ShaneB posted:

No I meant I read that post as asking what I was playing with those particular archetypes and that was the game that kinda triggered my consternation.

If they meant "what games did you play WITHOUT those" then yeah the list beyond western RPGs is ... zero?
no i meant what games did you play with those

the frail male healer thing is in like... 3? games i can think of

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

What is an RPG where every party member is a stoic knight

final fantasy tactics

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

final fantasy tactics

ogre battle

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Frozenzen posted:

Masquerada: Songs and Shadow kind of fits your requirements. It's short, linear and has some pretty drat good characters.

It's absolutely this. Definitely fits what you want.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hosed up to say that meek beta males do not deserve representation.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Endorph posted:

final fantasy tactics

No stoic knight would ever say "I got a good feeling!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

no i meant what games did you play with those

the frail male healer thing is in like... 3? games i can think of

Yeah, and all of my examples are Fire Emblem games.

When people ask for JRPGs but with none of the tropes my only guess is they just want a Western RPG but with the color and maybe artstyle you get from a JRPG. So Brock Lesnar as a knight a more normal sized olympian-level athlete swordsman and then a lady thief in a bodysuit or a half top and small shorts or something.

edit: Thinking about this like I'm not trying to make a shitpost, I think the ideal JRPG for them is just a game where the cast looks like most of the characters in Resident Evil.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 25, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Super Mario RPG is a jrpg. Play Super Mario RPG, it's good. Hell, even if you've played it before.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
play twewy

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

When people ask for JRPGs but with none of the tropes my only guess is they just want a Western RPG but with the color and maybe artstyle you get from a JRPG. So Brock Lesnar as a knight a more normal sized olympian-level athlete swordsman and then a lady thief in a bodysuit or a half top and small shorts or something.

I specifically did not ask for a JPRG, just an RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ShaneB posted:

I specifically did not ask for a JPRG, just an RPG.

I was just speaking in general, that's why I didn't quote you.