Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

RareAcumen posted:

Since there's nowhere else I can think to take it, what would people want from a Hyrule Warriors 2?

Oh, with BotW out now you'd obviously have to add Teleporting-Gliding-[spoiler]ghost-king[/spoiler].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's tutorial info, you don't have to spoiler it.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, with BotW out now you'd obviously have to add Prince Sidon and the 4 Champions as well.

You could probably get movesets out of Paya and Riju as well.

Also give me Link from the Oracle games but his ‘weapons’ are just the different animal buddies

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Can anyone explain affinity/elements how they work in builds/battle? I mean in general but I am playing dw8xl.

E; also forgot my boy dian wei dies right away.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 21, 2020

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

How well does the PC version of 8XL run? I had the vanilla version of it on PS3 a while ago but never finished everything, and kind of have an itch to play it again. Would getting PS4 be better?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Irisize posted:

How well does the PC version of 8XL run? I had the vanilla version of it on PS3 a while ago but never finished everything, and kind of have an itch to play it again. Would getting PS4 be better?

I don't recall any major issues with it. DW9 on the other hand struggles on PC

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Ulio posted:

Can anyone explain affinity/elements how they work in builds/battle? I mean in general but I am playing dw8xl.

E; also forgot my boy dian wei dies right away.

If you use the colour your opponent is weak against, you do more damage, more stun, and your attacks build up to use a Storm Rush, an invincible highly damaging mass attack.

If you use the colour your opponent is strong against, your attacks won't make the enemy flinch, and the AI gets to use Storm Rush against you whenever it wants.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

isk posted:

I don't recall any major issues with it. DW9 on the other hand struggles on PC

DW8XL, like other early Koei Warriors PC ports, has some major issues with controllers sometimes. From randomly having terrible default bindings that you can only fix by going in, manually removing all the bindings via keyboard, and remapping, to having some INCREDIBLE issues with analog deadzones and diagonal movement, and weird issues like bindings not being applied consistently in menus. I dunno if patches have helped fix this any since I last played it in 2018, but that was still over three years after it's release so I have my doubts.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I never had any controller issues with 8XL other than the silly custom buttons icons they displayed for inputs.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Largepotato posted:

I never had any controller issues with 8XL other than the silly custom buttons icons they displayed for inputs.

And thankfully there's a mod for that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey the big Sengoku Basara 15th anniversary announcement is that they're re-releasing the game made for the 10th anniversary but as a GOTY edition with all the DLC. No they're not porting it to anything else or localizing it or anything like that. It's just Sengoku Basara 4, with the DLC, and you can buy it physically maybe with an art book attached.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Policenaut posted:

Hey the big Sengoku Basara 15th anniversary announcement is that they're re-releasing the game made for the 10th anniversary but as a GOTY edition with all the DLC. No they're not porting it to anything else or localizing it or anything like that. It's just Sengoku Basara 4, with the DLC, and you can buy it physically maybe with an art book attached.

Dear Capcom,

Please localize Sengoku Basara 4. Please.

Signed, everyone.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ah man why don't they just dump it on PC with no marketing. PS4 architecture is the same or is there some rule your game has to have some english in it to be on worldwide stores?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If they just threw the expanded version (Sumerugi I think?) up on Steam with no translation I'd buy it. Again.

I'd get it twice (myself and my brother) if it had online multiplayer but I don't think the original has that and if they're just throwing it out there they definitely wouldn't make that kind of change.

I got the original for my brother on his birthday and we played it together when we hung out. But I'd really love to have it on PC.

We'd probably even have an English fan patch within a month.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

We'd probably even have an English fan patch within a month.
You may be overestimating the capabilities/size of this niche fandom.

Before its repackaging on Steam a year back, DW7 had a japanese PC release in 2012 that only managed to get a partial menu translation that was abandoned.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

lurksion posted:

You may be overestimating the capabilities/size of this niche fandom.

Before its repackaging on Steam a year back, DW7 had a japanese PC release in 2012 that only managed to get a partial menu translation that was abandoned.

Don't crush my dreams man. :smith:

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Cernunnos posted:

Dear Capcom,

Please localize Sengoku Basara 4. Please.

Signed, everyone.

*Monkey's paw curls*

Capcom announces the localization of Yukimura den

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
On a capcom note, their stinginess makes more sense when I heard Street Fighter V is a top 10 seller all-time for them, at only 4.5 million sales.

The companie's a hell lot more poorer than I thought.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ryoga posted:

*Monkey's paw curls*

Capcom announces the localization of Yukimura den Devil Kings 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tae posted:

On a capcom note, their stinginess makes more sense when I heard Street Fighter V is a top 10 seller all-time for them, at only 4.5 million sales.

The companie's a hell lot more poorer than I thought.

Do you work for Square-Enix or something

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ulio posted:

Ah man why don't they just dump it on PC with no marketing. PS4 architecture is the same or is there some rule your game has to have some english in it to be on worldwide stores?

Koei Tecmo has dumped all of their old PC games on American Steam even though none have English (even in cases where English versions were made and exist) and it doesn't seem to be something they intend to update/fix in the future. Of course, nobody cares because nobody's chomping at the bit to play Genghis Khan II & Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV. Whereas, I think Capcom knows that releasing an untranslated version of the game would just evoke ire and scorn, especially for a game series that fans have been asking to be brought back overseas for a while.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 21, 2020

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

FanaticalMilk posted:

Koei Tecmo has dumped all of their old PC games on American Steam even though none have English (even in cases where English versions were made and exist) and it doesn't seem to be something they intend to update/fix in the future. Of course, nobody cares because nobody's chomping at the bit to play Genghis Khan II & Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV. Whereas, I think Capcom knows that releasing an untranslated version of the game would just evoke ire and scorn, especially for a game series that fans have been asking to be brought back overseas for a while.

Wall of Fire? That was my first RotTK game back on the original Playstation. You're saying I can replay that and all I gotta do is learn Japanese?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Wall of Fire? That was my first RotTK game back on the original Playstation. You're saying I can replay that and all I gotta do is learn Japanese?

Hell yeah:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/521730/Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms__with_Power_Up_Kit___with/

To be fair I haven't looked far enough into it to see if any of these have mods/fan patches to add localization but none of them have any out of the box.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 21, 2020

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

For reasons I cannot fathom, Dynasty Warriors 9 made the PS4 Greatest Hits budget line.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I haven't played a Musou in years. Any good Empires releases lately? Need to check Hyrule Warriors.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jupiter Jazz posted:

I haven't played a Musou in years. Any good Empires releases lately? Need to check Hyrule Warriors.

I picked up Warriors Orochi 4 after playing dozens of levels of Hyrule Warriors and it felt so slow, clunky, and complicated in comparison I probably didn't even get to the good part before I sighed and just put the disc back in the case for good.

Much like Crash Team Racing has left me unable to adjust to Mario Kart's controls, I can't go back to normal Musou games it seems.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

I picked up Warriors Orochi 4 after playing dozens of levels of Hyrule Warriors and it felt so slow, clunky, and complicated in comparison I probably didn't even get to the good part before I sighed and just put the disc back in the case for good.

Much like Crash Team Racing has left me unable to adjust to Mario Kart's controls, I can't go back to normal Musou games it seems.

Warriors Orochi 3 is the best Musou ever so this comes as a surprise.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Glad I'm not the only one. A lifetime of Mario Kart muscle memory annihilated by half a year of CTR

To be more on topic, suddenly having a jump button again after playing lots of Hyrule/FE Warriors was jarring

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Warriors Orochi 3 is the best Musou ever so this comes as a surprise.

It plays just like WO3. The problem is that HW is way more fluid and interesting in its animations and maps, so by comparison, WO4 comes off as a downgrade.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dev side the only differences between DW/Orochi and the Nintendo spinoffs is that Team Ninja helped with the Nintendo spinoffs. Maybe they just had more people work on the core gameplay aspects.

Btw anyone play the pirate warrior games on PC? I have Pirate Warriors 3 and I enjoy One Piece but haven't played it yet. Or I might just go for another playthrough of DW8XL, that game is a blast.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Takoluka posted:

It plays just like WO3. The problem is that HW is way more fluid and interesting in its animations and maps, so by comparison, WO4 comes off as a downgrade.

Ah, that would explain it. I played tons of 3 on my 360 before double dipping on HW on the 3DS and Switch and I remember it being a lot of fun. But I also had Gundam 2 and 3 as well so they might've felt different compared to those as well.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Glad I'm not the only one. A lifetime of Mario Kart muscle memory annihilated by half a year of CTR

I've never played Mario Kart before so going from a game where the karts are all cosmetic to one where you have to be choosy about what you're driving because they all have stats was already throwing me off even before the control scheme.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Takoluka posted:

Can you expound upon HW's map design? What's interesting about it? Are they big and sprawling like Musou of old? (Think SW2 here)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RareAcumen posted:

Ah, that would explain it. I played tons of 3 on my 360 before double dipping on HW on the 3DS and Switch and I remember it being a lot of fun. But I also had Gundam 2 and 3 as well so they might've felt different compared to those as well.

The Gundam model has a stiffness that comes from the player being a giant robot, so you're already in the mindset. On top of that, the gameplay loop for the Gundam games was always about territory control, so the objective alongside the characters and models works really well.

Warrior Orochi games have always been very linear in their Story Modes, carried entirely by their narrative and setting. WO4 doesn't have a particularly good story to tell that wasn't told better with the previous trilogy, and the stages of DW8 and SW4 are just set pieces with weird routes this time around. "A war criminal sealed in time wants to die at the hands of the greatest warriors of history" is way more interesting than "And then Zeus showed up and thought that whole thing with the Hydra was really cool so he wants them to do it again to beat Odin." The gameplay loop is basically "take your squad, send them from what waypoint to the next, use magic and super moves to demolish whatever's there, and repeat." To me, it felt like I was driving a car around a battlefield, meeting ends that I had no motivation for. I still love Orochi games on principle, and I will see it through to the end for the sake of Da Ji and Wang Yuanji, but I'm not having "fun" the way that Orochi 1-3 made me feel.

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Can you expound upon HW's map design? What's interesting about it? Are they big and sprawling like Musou of old? (Think SW2 here)

They just have very good layouts, and the ability to sprint around them really helps that feel big but not overwhelmingly so. The areas really make it feel like you're in an interesting area set in the world of Hyrule and its surrounding lands, especially with areas like the temples. In the perspective of SW2, the Battle of Anegawa felt like I was fighting by a river with routing affected by the currents. In SW4, it feels like every other battlefield, except I can splash some water around. HW has that overall old Anegawa/Kitagahara/etc. feel, where as WO4 feels like a bunch of interchangeable SW4 areas with the same look.

Takoluka fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 25, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Takoluka posted:

The Gundam model has a stiffness that comes from the player being a giant robot, so you're already in the mindset. On top of that, the gameplay loop for the Gundam games was always about territory control, so the objective alongside the characters and models works really well.

Warrior Orochi games have always been very linear in their Story Modes, carried entirely by their narrative and setting. WO4 doesn't have a particularly good story to tell that wasn't told better with the previous trilogy, and the stages of DW8 and SW4 are just set pieces with weird routes this time around. "A war criminal sealed in time wants to die at the hands of the greatest warriors of history" is way more interesting than "And then Zeus showed up and thought that whole thing with the Hydra was really cool so he wants them to do it again to beat Odin." The gameplay loop is basically "take your squad, send them from what waypoint to the next, use magic and super moves to demolish whatever's there, and repeat." To me, it felt like I was driving a car around a battlefield, meeting ends that I had no motivation for. I still love Orochi games on principle, and I will see it through to the end for the sake of Da Ji and Wang Yuanji, but I'm not having "fun" the way that Orochi 1-3 made me feel.

They just have very good layouts, and the ability to sprint around them really helps that feel big but not overwhelmingly so. The areas really make it feel like you're in an interesting area set in the world of Hyrule and its surrounding lands, especially with areas like the temples. In the perspective of SW2, the Battle of Anegawa felt like I was fighting by a river with routing affected by the currents. In SW4, it feels like every other battlefield, except I can splash some water around. HW has that overall old Anegawa/Kitagahara/etc. feel, where as WO4 feels like a bunch of interchangeable SW4 areas with the same look.

This sounds great.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Is there a RotTK thread on the forums or somewhere else I can complain about how bad XIV is

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

No just complain here it's where I complain about XIII too

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
XIII with PUK isn't too bad. I had a lot of fun playing around with it.

I haven't bothered with XIV, so not gonna try to argue over that.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Gone back to DW3XL to get some more neat ornaments 5th Weapons. The swing between difficulty & requirements for this stuff when it comes to each character can be so bizarre; Zhang Liao has to kill a some mook archers in towers. That's it. No officers-on-a-shitlist or rushing from one side of the map to the other, nothing like that. Just shoot a bunch of nameless bowmen after one event happens but before a second event triggers, if it even triggers at all!

Xiahou Dun on the other hand gets some loving ridiculous nonsense involving a strict time limit & four officers which have to be killed off in a certain order (hurrah for invisible sub-officers that you can't locate on the map!), all while avoiding a specific other officer and dealing with stacks of mooks that just won't gently caress off because you don't have enough time to deal with the Gate Captains.

I'm glad I'm doing this in co-op because that second one was already a loving nightmare and I dread to think how horrible it must be if playing solo.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Man I remember doing those 3XL weapon missions too. That was a nightmare, and I'm so thankful that I was in college at the time so I had friends nearby to be 2P so I could actually complete those goals. I remember doing one (Dian Wei?) where I came around a corner to dozens of crossbowmen who just unloaded on me and brought me to death from full health in the blink of an eye.

And I might be misremembering, but I thought you could see the locations of the sub-officers by clicking into the individual officer on the pause menu? But that might have been DW4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

wielder posted:

XIII with PUK isn't too bad. I had a lot of fun playing around with it.

I haven't bothered with XIV, so not gonna try to argue over that.

You can’t control poo poo in XIV. The entire game is basically assigning guys to areas, telling everyone who isn’t doing anything to search and smashing the next turn button.