Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

mysterious frankie posted:

I presume if you were in his shoes you'd also be a multimillionaire because either you'd have had the sense to sell while it was still boppin', or kept the site and not mismanaged it to the point where it's the internet equivalent of a North Korean old folks home & halfway house combo.

What I'm saying is, boy no-brained, do no-brain things.

someone mentioned purchase offers during the height of SA's relevance. was there ever any evidence of solid offers with real numbers? i just can't imagine someone offering more than low six figures for this place, even in the mid to late aughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

whatever comes after zoomers will never even know all the legends of SA, let alone how much online poo poo is 1 or 2 degrees of separation from here

please archive SAClopedia and the best threads

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Phil Layshow posted:

someone mentioned purchase offers during the height of SA's relevance. was there ever any evidence of solid offers with real numbers? i just can't imagine someone offering more than low six figures for this place, even in the mid to late aughts.

Ebaumsworld got $15 million in 2007. The new-media bubble was loving bonkers before the crash.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

GrimGypsy posted:

whatever comes after zoomers will never even know all the legends of SA, let alone how much online poo poo is 1 or 2 degrees of separation from here

please archive SAClopedia and the best threads

did any goons invade imgur after memes became a thing there and say "ackshually, what you call memes are image macros."

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
dang i didnt know that about ebaumsworld. lowtax you wife beating buffoon

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I am hopeful but not for the continuation of this specific platform.

I think it's a bit premature to begin looking at outcomes. The #1 goal right now should be to ensure Logan is somewhere safe and away from the unhinged serial abuser and it looks like that's what the mods are doing. Threats about ruining Lowtax's livelihood can come after the victim is safe from repercussions. Until then I don't think anyone is at a place for negotiations of any kind.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Phil Layshow posted:

Any offer in ~2007 would have had 7 zeroes most likely. Now the $150k jase1 has offered is probably the best lowtax could get. I hope he sells, because no way he gives up control without it and the place will just die otherwise.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
so i get that this forum soon won't exist and people are trying to make folks join bnr while they still can but, uh, giving lowtax more cash by buying transphobic avatars about it isn't how you do that lmfao

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

I think it's a bit premature to begin looking at outcomes. The #1 goal right now should be to ensure Logan is somewhere safe and away from the unhinged serial abuser and it looks like that's what the mods are doing. Threats about ruining Lowtax's livelihood can come after the victim is safe from repercussions. Until then I don't think anyone is at a place for negotiations of any kind.

I think there's room for both, since there are more than a handful of people involved, and delegation of tasks and specialization have been a thing since the start of human civilization (even if they were only really codified in the industrial age).

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I think there's room for both, since there are more than a handful of people involved, and delegation of tasks and specialization have been a thing since the start of human civilization (even if they were only really codified in the industrial age).

It's not really delegation of tasks I am concerned about, it's Lowtax reacting. If he sees the loss of his primary (only?) reliable income stream disappearing he might take rash and violent action. Think any dictator who is losing power starting to see assassins behind every curtain.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Truga posted:

so i get that this forum soon won't exist and people are trying to make folks join bnr while they still can but, uh, giving lowtax more cash by buying transphobic avatars about it isn't how you do that lmfao

lol no one in cspam bought that avatar, it was 100% poo poo stirring

for example, let me introduce you to the negrotown thread, where for years it was common for someone to buy anyone who got into an argument with the regulars there a racist/homophobic/transphobic av for the sole purpose of making the regulars look bad.

hell, more recently, just look at $500 worth of trump avatars someone's bought.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

is the discord in the OP the main one or are there others?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr. Nice! posted:

Any offer in ~2007 would have had 7 zeroes most likely. Now the $150k jase1 has offered is probably the best lowtax could get. I hope he sells, because no way he gives up control without it and the place will just die otherwise.

Hard lol at this forum even being worth a 10th of that. It's not exactly a growth industry, it'd need serious investment to fix a lot of poo poo that's been neglected because of lousy owner/code combo. But hey, not my money.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Truga posted:

:thunk:

you do know that someone(s) have spent somewhere north of $500 of giving people who dare to question the democrats trump 2020 avs, right?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Oh Snapple! posted:

lol no one in cspam bought that avatar, it was 100% poo poo stirring

for example, let me introduce you to the negrotown thread, where for years it was common for someone to buy anyone who got into an argument with the regulars there a racist/homophobic/transphobic av for the sole purpose of making the regulars look bad.

hell, more recently, just look at $500 worth of trump avatars someone's bought.

i hope honestly you're right.

Phone posted:

you do know that someone(s) have spent somewhere north of $500 of giving people who dare to question the democrats trump 2020 avs, right?

yeah, but it wasn't adtrw

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

forkboy84 posted:

Hard lol at this forum even being worth a 10th of that. It's not exactly a growth industry, it'd need serious investment to fix a lot of poo poo that's been neglected because of lousy owner/code combo. But hey, not my money.

"Worth" here is highly subjective. In terms of a profitable business investment...yeah, it's probably not that anymore without relying on the random kindness of patreon donors.

But in terms of "this is a community of good people that I don't want to see scattered to the winds" then, well, maybe that is worth $150k to him. poo poo, if I were dummy rich to the point where $150k was a rounding error on my bank statements or whatever, I could see trying to buy it just to keep this place going.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

i saw someone say in another thread that jase1 made an offer, but i didn't know if it was a joke comment. 150k to me sounds like a generous offer for the shambling corpse of SA. i don't know anything about jase1. is he a poker goon that made it big? did he make his money on orange juice futures? not that it matters to me either way. i was thinking everyone who gave a poo poo would pitch in what they could to make lowtax an offer, but i figured that would end up like 50k tops.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

icantfindaname posted:

is the discord in the OP the main one or are there others?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929079

Breadnroses.net has now passed the 5000 members mark

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

Not keeping track of who buys bigoted/phobic/etc. avs was one of the fundamental flaws of this site that would have prevented so, so much unnecessary bullshit. But like other people have said there's no reason to think that anyone from bnr did that. It's just someone poo poo-stirring.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Sharkie posted:

Not keeping track of who buys bigoted/phobic/etc. avs was one of the fundamental flaws of this site that would have prevented so, so much unnecessary bullshit. But like other people have said there's no reason to think that anyone from bnr did that. It's just someone poo poo-stirring.

yeah, or in CanPol we had at least two people get doxxed by someone buying them avatars containing their personal information

how the gently caress people let that system continue is beyond me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sharkie posted:

Money was more important than a good user experience
Even if it meant gate-keeping essential functionality

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i'm going to log off SA for a bit unless something new happens. Gonna give BnR posting a shot.

gently caress you lowtax, you absolute oval office

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Truga posted:

yeah, but it wasn't adtrw

cspam, for all of it's terrible reputation, usually doesn't participate in cross forum gross av buying

buying back fellow cspammer's their avs or gang tags? sure.

drudging up stuff from e/n, tgrs, etc? that has never been cspam's mo.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Dreylad posted:

someone in QCS suggested unbanning everyone who was permabanned and it's a really funny idea if probably unfeasible

they also suggested bringing back fyad so that should be a good combo and a lot of fun for everyone still here

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
ngl, im terminally online more than id like to admit. it already seems like people are posting less across the threads i watch. i dont know if that is due to people giving offsites and discords a shot, or goons reading the signals, or what.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Phone posted:

cspam, for all of it's terrible reputation, usually doesn't participate in cross forum gross av buying

buying back fellow cspammer's their avs or gang tags? sure.

drudging up stuff from e/n, tgrs, etc? that has never been cspam's mo.

cspam also doesn't do forums invasions despite how much mods whine about it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

LK you served cpsam as admirably as any other and caught a lot of poo poo for it.
Good on you for doing the right thing this one last time

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sharkie posted:

the solution to this was developed recently, like as in... last week, and the scope of it was to give moderators the ability to blank out avs on an adhoc basis. i think what moved the needle was someone receiving a title over their recently passed grandma?

going after the root of the problem isn't in the cards; however, the management has taken your valuable input that maybe they should lock down buying other people an av to be gated by having to log in, and it will be considered going forward.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i mean the fact that people are posting about some sort of adtrw/cspam/bnr rivalry (i've never heard about it but i'm not up in all the forums drama) instead of what a piece of poo poo lowtax is and how much bullshit (including chud bullshit) was allowed to fester on these forums should tell you everything you need to know about why that av was bought.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sharkie posted:

yeah, lowtax knew very well why that "flaw" was never gonna change. banned bigots aren't gonna buy $500 worth of trump avs lmao

Sharkie posted:

i mean the fact that people are posting about some sort of adtrw/cspam/bnr rivalry (i've never heard about it but i'm not up in all the forums drama) instead of what a piece of poo poo lowtax is and how much bullshit (including chud bullshit) was allowed to fester on these forums should tell you everything you need to know about why that av was bought.

welp

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

oxsnard posted:

i'm going to log off SA for a bit unless something new happens. Gonna give BnR posting a shot.

gently caress you lowtax, you absolute oval office

:hmmyes:

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

LK you served cpsam as admirably as any other and caught a lot of poo poo for it.
Good on you for doing the right thing this one last time

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Dustcat posted:

they also suggested bringing back fyad so that should be a good combo and a lot of fun for everyone still here

ive suggested reopening every archived forum and unbanning everyone then letting chaos reign because who gives a poo poo but theyre busy giving ban/30s for goatse and 'ill make the website'ing in some private vent chat or whatever lol

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Everyone please :siren: stop posting that you have registered :siren:

We are aware and are working through the queue. It's a lot of users.

registered as communism bitch

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Giga Gaia posted:

ive suggested reopening every archived forum and unbanning everyone then letting chaos reign because who gives a poo poo but theyre busy giving ban/30s for goatse and 'ill make the website'ing in some private vent chat or whatever lol

anyone still doing serious moderation for the goat man is loving lol but i don't blame some of the mods who from the sounds of it have web development experience from trying to salvage this dumb place

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

is there no plan to set up an alt site yet?

There are at least three different alt-sites goons are migrating to.

Bread and Roses
CSPAM.xyz
Something-Waffle

The vast majority seem to be going to Bread and Roses though.

That said there doesn't seem to be that much hopping in total. ResetEra for example has over 50,000 members (which to be fair is over the course of 2 years) while Bread and Roses doesn't even have a tenth of that.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
the only people who do forum invasions these days are the loving mods

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

There are at least three different alt-sites goons are migrating to.

Bread and Roses
CSPAM.xyz
Something-Waffle

The vast majority seem to be going to Bread and Roses though.

That said there doesn't seem to be that much hopping in total. ResetEra for example has over 50,000 members (which to be fair is over the course of 2 years) while Bread and Roses doesn't even have a tenth of that.

Pedantically BnR does have more than a tenth of that now, the migration has been impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

What's BnR