Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I felt bad that I :filez:'d brigador and hadn't yet actually bought it but now I don't lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
With all hindsight going off maybe the Brad Buckmaster ebook partnership and selling fascist inspired pins at PAX were warning signs the whole time.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know, recent events have put Brigador lore in a new perspective. The setting is a corporate dystopia where an interstellar corporate elite plunders colony worlds for profit. The "villains" the corporate media have designated are the post-colonial revolutionaries who threw off the shackles of off-world dominion. Think Cuba, or the Bolivarian revolution. An innocent reading of it is that at least this regime managed to provide welfare and basic needs to the populace, and the remaining authoritarianism was merely an ugly reality and a foible of the Leader's personality. The new reading is: the corporations are the villains because they are cosmopolitan and hedonistic and woke.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phobophilia posted:

You know, recent events have put Brigador lore in a new perspective. The setting is a corporate dystopia where an interstellar corporate elite plunders colony worlds for profit. The "villains" the corporate media have designated are the post-colonial revolutionaries who threw off the shackles of off-world dominion. Think Cuba, or the Bolivarian revolution. An innocent reading of it is that at least this regime managed to provide welfare and basic needs to the populace, and the remaining authoritarianism was merely an ugly reality and a foible of the Leader's personality. The new reading is: the corporations are the villains because they are cosmopolitan and hedonistic and woke.
I think calling that "because they are woke" is really a gotcha, what with literal the baby eating.

It's a really skilled blank slate because all three sides are bad. You can gaze into it and find the reading you want because just at face value it's a pitch perfect fictionalization of the US as a colonizer both in the late 19th century and mid-late 20th century. If you throw your lot in with any one of the sides there's a "heh so you throw your lot in with Amerikkka/Che Gueverra/Papa Doc?"

The recoloring I'd point out is that Solo Nobre wasn't up and coming in spite of a fascist regime, but maybe more like because it was a fascist regime. No room for democracy without it being vulnerable to the corporate interests in other words. The innocent reading is neoliberalism bad. The new context is neoliberalism is bad and fought with strong central autocracy.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
Solo Nobre seemed to be described as a stagnant shithole so I don't think that tracks. I also don't think interstellar megacorps that hire space born mercenaries best described as vampires who keep whole worlds population as cattle to torture behind the SNC would be described as woke or cosmopolitan either.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
brigador, the death in june of video games. shitshow.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

zedprime posted:

I think calling that "because they are woke" is really a gotcha, what with literal the baby eating.

It's a really skilled blank slate because all three sides are bad. You can gaze into it and find the reading you want because just at face value it's a pitch perfect fictionalization of the US as a colonizer both in the late 19th century and mid-late 20th century. If you throw your lot in with any one of the sides there's a "heh so you throw your lot in with Amerikkka/Che Gueverra/Papa Doc?"

The recoloring I'd point out is that Solo Nobre wasn't up and coming in spite of a fascist regime, but maybe more like because it was a fascist regime. No room for democracy without it being vulnerable to the corporate interests in other words. The innocent reading is neoliberalism bad. The new context is neoliberalism is bad and fought with strong central autocracy.

This is spot on. I went the straightforward neoliberalism bad reading and didn't consider these alternatives, but whew lad it looks like that was not the intent.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm just hypersensitive to fash who attempt to make point that corporations are exploitative and hide behind the language of wokeness and international cooperation. It's just that their ideal world, once corporate power structures have been cowed into submission by fascist forces, is muster those captured hierarchies to exterminate foreigners and minorities. So beware of fash who try to hide behind the language of oppression.

LifeLoveLive
Jun 25, 2020

uber_stoat posted:

brigador, the death in june of video games. shitshow.

There's this, all the twich abuse crap, the Cards Against Humanity crap, Chris Avellone getting cancelled, I think Wizards of the Coast had some crap that they were dealing with, Warren Ellis and Charles Brownstein... this poo poo just runs really deep and is pervasive to everything. I at least like to stay optimistic and hope that the death flows into rebirth. Every new thing that gets exposed is an opportunity to heal.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
And the director of the newest Assassin's Creed can be added to the pile.

Stepped down after he was exposed as cheating on his wife with fans.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but Assassin's Creed is boring

LifeLoveLive
Jun 25, 2020

Cool poo poo lol...

LifeLoveLive fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 25, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Meltdown May overtime

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

LifeLoveLive posted:

There's this, all the twich abuse crap, the Cards Against Humanity crap, Chris Avellone getting cancelled, I think Wizards of the Coast had some crap that they were dealing with, Warren Ellis and Charles Brownstein... this poo poo just runs really deep and is pervasive to everything. I at least like to stay optimistic and hope that the death flows into rebirth. Every new thing that gets exposed is an opportunity to heal.

It's so pervasive that indeed one begins to wonder -- it's almost as if we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Or as if all quests for personal moral purity are ultimately an expression of malevolent individualism that blinds us to the vastly more consequential forces of economics, culture, and bureaucracy. Can't quite put my finger on it.

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 25, 2020

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

C.M. Kruger posted:

Goddamn terrible, regret shilling the game and buying a shirt.

It looks like Brad Buckmaster, the guy who wrote the audiobook, has also deleted his account.

When you delete your Twitter account you have 30 days to reactivate it before it goes away forever, they're probably just doing it to cover their asses while waiting to see if it blows over; the game is already obscure and there hasn't been any articles written about it on places like Kotaku or Polygon, they're probably hoping they can do an Ion Fury and just roll it all back after a few days and just accept trading in PAX invitations for spite purchases from dudes with wojak avatars.

The good news is that thanks to the fanbase being so small and close-knit the numerous trans and minority fans are taking it very personally that Gauss was cynically lying to their faces and acting like they were peers while posting hate speech and calling them mentally-ill subhumans behind their backs and won't forget this. It's ironic that he posted that these people don't matter and were never really going to buy a game like his, because a quick search on Twitter shows the only people even talking about Brigador anymore are fans of the first game who feel betrayed.

https://twitter.com/quantumdotdot/status/1275632778399354881

https://twitter.com/Capntastic/status/1275634845595480064

https://twitter.com/KaptainSuz/status/1275593156432723970

https://twitter.com/ExpiredPopsicle/status/1275925652860878848

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1275580931638562816

https://twitter.com/Lobsterkun_/status/1275704846096764928

hepatizon posted:

It's so pervasive that indeed one begins to wonder -- it's almost as if we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Or as if all quests for personal moral purity are ultimately an expression of malevolent individualism that blinds us to the vastly more consequential forces of economics, culture, and bureaucracy. Can't quite put my finger on it.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

I'm fine with this, but finish the metaphor: the peasants' idea of improving society is to form mobs to punish their peers for adultery and hate speech, while the feudal lord, the actual cause and beneficiary of their misery, escapes notice.

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 25, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

hepatizon posted:

I'm fine with this, but finish the metaphor: the peasants' idea of improving society is to form mobs to punish adultery and hate speech, while the feudal lord, the actual cause and beneficiary of their misery, escapes notice.

Weird leap from this to thinking transphobia is okay.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I can recognize who's in charge and loving me over at the same as I can get mad at some guy who's acting like an rear end in a top hat, I can juggle those ideas simultaneously.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Weird leap from this to thinking transphobia is okay.

This is a nice rhetorical sleight-of-hand -- the framing of "is okay" presumes that purity of thought and ideology is the wellspring of all real progress, and it just ain't so, because otherwise progress wouldn't exist! The people who create change are never themselves ideologically pure or morally perfect, and so people must either hide their imperfections -- living in fear of being canceled -- or retreat from public life entirely. This impossible bar for leadership is why purity crusades fail, whether the crusader is Augustus Caesar or Joseph McCarthy, and it's why your innocuous-sounding "is okay" is not only self-defeating but an outright concession of power to your greatest enemies.

uber_stoat posted:

I can recognize who's in charge and loving me over at the same as I can get mad at some guy who's acting like an rear end in a top hat, I can juggle those ideas simultaneously.

I find it hard to juggle when one of the balls weighs 1 billion times the other, but maybe the weight difference is imperceptible to you.

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 25, 2020

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

hepatizon posted:

This is a nice rhetorical sleight-of-hand -- the framing of "is okay" presumes that purity of thought and ideology is the wellspring of all real progress, and it just ain't so, because otherwise progress wouldn't exist! The people who create change are never themselves ideologically pure or morally perfect, and so people must either hide their imperfections -- living in fear of being canceled -- or retreat from public life entirely. This impossible bar for leadership is why purity crusades fail, whether the crusader is Augustus Caesar or Joseph McCarthy, and it's why your innocuous-sounding "is okay" is not only self-defeating but an outright concession of power to your greatest enemies.

I find it hard to juggle when one of the balls weighs 1 billion times the other, but maybe the weight difference is imperceptible to you.

Chud leave

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Overbite posted:

Chud leave

Chuds love purity crusades more than anyone, you should find one and make out

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

It's really not that hard to recognize trans people are people or to stop using bigoted slurs. I guess to assholes it looks like an impossible purity test.

coma posted:

I don't think there's any mecha-terrorism simulator that matches up against Brigador

That's true. To be clear, if you still want to play Brigador or whatever, that's fine, it's your prerogative, I was just arguing that each individual does have an effect even if it's small.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tagichatn posted:

It's really not that hard to recognize trans people are people or to stop using bigoted slurs. I guess to assholes it looks like an impossible purity test.

It's real loving easy. It's real drat easy to not say things that are as breathtakingly easy to disprove as he did.

Silver lining is from talking to him, he's reacted like he genuinely understands how much he's hosed up people who love his work. So I'm pissed and hurt now, but I've got hope for the future.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
He's lying, hth

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Brigador is a good game. I definitely don't regret buying it and I'd buy it again even knowing what happened.

Yes, one of the devs voiced some very Bad opinions, but the game wasn't affected by those opinions and should stand on its own merit rather than being *omg it's TAINTED* ...

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

xthetenth posted:

It's real loving easy. It's real drat easy to not say things that are as breathtakingly easy to disprove as he did.

Silver lining is from talking to him, he's reacted like he genuinely understands how much he's hosed up people who love his work. So I'm pissed and hurt now, but I've got hope for the future.

He doesn't understand poo poo lmao. He's been two-faced for a while now and he is continuing to lie because that's what he knows. He still thinks trans people are subhumans and game devs who "give in" to social justice warriors are soyboyz.

Nevertheless, Brigador is a good game and Brigador Killers will likely be as well.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
breaks my heart

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hepatizon posted:

peasants' idea of improving society is to form mobs to punish their peers for adultery and hate speech,

It was typically the lords setting peasants against each other to distract from the suffering they'd caused. This type of pattern has been present through the entire history of European antisemitism

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

gauss is a chud for having regressive un-woke views and engaging in 4chan-type slurs, but to recontextualize a stock cyberpunk sci-fi game as having fascist overtones is really reaching. being "anti-PC" or open to bigotry is a stance, but it isn't an ideology. there are toxic trolls on /pol/, vs. toxic trolls on all the other non-political spaces. it's like claiming that JKR is pushing fascist-friendly messages because she's a TERF, when she's just a mere neolib Blair Labourite pushing a romanticized English boarding school view of the world. There are different types of right-wing.

What happened in the wake of GamerGate and all the culture wars of the past decade is that you get this population in many different interest groups who are upset about the social change and dig in. some like the One Angry Gamer blog overtly try to push back against the tide, perhaps getting a nice grift out of it. others disappear into anonymous communities (not so anon in this case lol). idk what anyone intends to do about the groups that self-isolate- doxx them and drag them into the light? Make them recant their views? Give them the chance to make restitution and be rehabilitated? Firebomb them entirely?

in the meantime, if a creator holds despicable views and engages in detestable language, customers should be free to withhold their support. that is clear and obvious

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
It isn't hard to not be a recursive ouroboros shithead though, it's actually quite easy.
I don't buy his apology or his new found respect for people's opinions that love his work. He's poo poo, and people don't need or desire cool arts because there are aprox. a billion other sources for cool arts especially on this eve of destruction of Something Awful dot com that don't come from a homophobic trashfire.
He's scrambling because reality of today is incompatible with him and his dumbass posts are having consequences.

He's the one responsible for all of this.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

xthetenth posted:

he literally said the apology was a lie to cover his rear end in the dms to the takfiri chuds who disowned him anyway for making the apology in the first place

also theres not gonna be any more screencaps from their forum, theyre apparently doing some weird poo poo where they obsessively check access logs and are trying to put a hidden watermark in the forums so they can track who screencaps what.

because you know thats the type of stuff you do when you know what you say is cool and normal. im not gonna risk the safety of a homie to get some more juicy gossip. the core three stellar jockey guys (the brothers gauss and the karlnp or something guy) are virulent bigots, i dont know anything about the music or lore people.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

KakerMix posted:

It isn't hard to not be a recursive ouroboros shithead though, it's actually quite easy.
I don't buy his apology or his new found respect for people's opinions that love his work. He's poo poo, and people don't need or desire cool arts because there are aprox. a billion other sources for cool arts especially on this eve of destruction of Something Awful dot com that don't come from a homophobic trashfire.
He's scrambling because reality of today is incompatible with him and his dumbass posts are having consequences.

He's the one responsible for all of this.

I'm playing this post on a speaker pair strapped to my Tauros as I fire war crimes gas into the yellow jackets

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

juggalo baby coffin posted:

he literally said the apology was a lie to cover his rear end in the dms to the takfiri chuds who disowned him anyway for making the apology in the first place

also theres not gonna be any more screencaps from their forum, theyre apparently doing some weird poo poo where they obsessively check access logs and are trying to put a hidden watermark in the forums so they can track who screencaps what.

because you know thats the type of stuff you do when you know what you say is cool and normal. im not gonna risk the safety of a homie to get some more juicy gossip. the core three stellar jockey guys (the brothers gauss and the karlnp or something guy) are virulent bigots, i dont know anything about the music or lore people.

seems like an awful lot of work just to be able to say slurs, sounds exhausting, but what do I know.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

i dont know anything about the music

keep Makeup and Vanity Set outta this

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

uber_stoat posted:

seems like an awful lot of work just to be able to say slurs, sounds exhausting, but what do I know.

I don't know why these people don't just post on 4chan or something, it's real fuckin easy to say slurs on there and no one is going to connect your career to your 4chan shitposting so you can keep pulling the wool over the dreaded SJW's eyes. I guess I appreciate chuds being dumb as gently caress so they get outed, but it's real loving weird.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Maximo Roboto posted:

keep Makeup and Vanity Set outta this

Wonder if they know actually....

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Luceid posted:

I'm playing this post on a speaker pair strapped to my Tauros as I fire war crimes gas into the yellow jackets

You don't get that games aren't real do you
Do you live vicariously through games? Do you find that you want to do things at times, and then choosing where to do them? Does that choice include different games side-by-side with different physical spaces without any obvious differentiation or sorting?

Because then you might already be on a watch list somewhere. Who knows what they have on you now, you better change your passwords as a precaution, they might come after you too soon. Who to trust? Can you trust me? You should trust me. And you should go gently caress yourself lowtaxnazi.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
There's a really fun piece of bigot psychology where they try and rationalize that the people calling them out are unreasonable by hyperfocusing on the most minute thing possible. Like when Paula Deen was cancelled for using the n word and talking about how black people were better off as slaves the racists defending her acted like the outrage was over the fact that she said "black" instead of "african american" rather than the numerous transgressions she had performed.

Case in point, all the people trying to paint it like Gauss was cancelled for saying Wolfenstein 2 was bad.

About that, the Top Secret Goon Discord still has access to badgame. They've purged all lurker accounts but the guy capping everything is an active participant so he's not going away.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
kinda glad i never got a pin and now im not sure if I can still think it looks cool because im pretty sure its inspired by bad bad things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Sleeveless posted:

There's a really fun piece of bigot psychology where they try and rationalize that the people calling them out are unreasonable by hyperfocusing on the most minute thing possible. Like when Paula Deen was cancelled for using the n word and talking about how black people were better off as slaves the racists defending her acted like the outrage was over the fact that she said "black" instead of "african american" rather than the numerous transgressions she had performed.

Case in point, all the people trying to paint it like Gauss was cancelled for saying Wolfenstein 2 was bad.

About that, the Top Secret Goon Discord still has access to badgame. They've purged all lurker accounts but the guy capping everything is an active participant so he's not going away.

it is funny that at least two of their active posters whove been there for like 10 years are the ones screencapping poo poo. real great community they built. idk if your guy can find any of this poo poo my guy talked about wrt the other stellar jockey guys being awful