Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

spanky the dolphin posted:

Breadnroses.net has potential maybe as a post SA site? If the poo poo hits the fan maybe we can rebuild a new Awful app there. It'll be fun coming up with a new app name!

Bmr seems to have the most potential so far but could really use an app like this. It’s a little hard for me to read and makes me very aware of what a great job you guys did with awful.app. Thank you! I used the gently caress out of it and loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Snowy posted:

Bmr seems to have the most potential so far but could really use an app like this. It’s a little hard for me to read and makes me very aware of what a great job you guys did with awful.app. Thank you! I used the gently caress out of it and loved it.

Change the style (on BnR). They have a ton of options including some minimal ones that read much better on mobile. An app would still be great, though!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Change the style (on BnR). They have a ton of options including some minimal ones that read much better on mobile. An app would still be great, though!

Surely the BnR admin can pay for the mobile Xenforo app?

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/forumapps-presents-native-xenforo-apps-for-ios-and-android.128866/

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I will say that I love this app. It works so well and it was always cool that actual forum members created it and took ideas that other forum members had to make the whole app even better. That has always made this app feel different and better than other apps I have used.

Thanks for all your amazing work in creating such an amazingly intuitive set up for users.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I’ve been registered here a long time but I rarely post and honestly this app is the only reason I check SA multiple times a day so take that for what it’s worth everyone who helped build this app you guys are amazing and turned this janky rear end site into one of the better apps out there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Any reason why imgur has been broken on ios for the past week or so?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

Any reason why imgur has been broken on ios for the past week or so?

Pretty sure that happens at the end of every month, it uses one imgur account that runs out of monthly uploads.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Makes sense.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It would be pretty neat if the app could somehow disable the feature if it isn't going to work.

Like I don't know if there's some kind of central microservice that could be added to the main site where like, if one user's imgur upload fails, it sets a flag on the central SA server (or somewhere else, maybe even something like a gsheet) and then everyone else's iOS app knows not to even try posting images anymore, and maybe show a banner saying why not, and then the flag gets cleared at the beginning of the month, or something like that.

Of course it would be way more ideal if the quota just didn't fill up in the first place. And this would be a finicky and fragile solution, and maybe involve more recurring maintenance than is warranted. But I dunno, just throwing it out there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We could let people auth with an account and then it would count against their own quota (which they would never use all of), and leave people on the default shared one if they don’t auth.

Or we could register for 5 more imgur app keys and randomly select between them to spread it out...

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
or just link out to that Shortcut

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Pretty sure that happens at the end of every month, it uses one imgur account that runs out of monthly uploads.

Is this the same reason the app has trouble opening twitter sometimes? Like, I’ll click the link and the app will try to open it, but just say “website name” at the top and stay there. Restarting awful app usually fixes it, but I’ve never noticed before if it only happens at the end of the month or not...

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Subjunctive posted:

We could let people auth with an account and then it would count against their own quota (which they would never use all of), and leave people on the default shared one if they don’t auth.

Or we could register for 5 more imgur app keys and randomly select between them to spread it out...

I’m not really some programmer dude but I think the API calls used are counted against the app itself not a user account. I think the issue is that Awful isn’t paying/they’re using the free tier so unless the devs want to pay a monthly fee there isn’t too much that can be done. Don’t take that as gospel though, I’m sure someone will tell me how wrong I am soon.

Edit: yeah it’s an app wide api call limit, not user based. 1,250 api calls per day, I don’t see a monthly limit but I didn’t look very deeply.

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 30, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

101 posted:

or just link out to that Shortcut

Yeah.

Honestly everyone should just use the shortcut at this point. I haven't bothered with the app version for well over a year now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

`Nemesis posted:

I’m not really some programmer dude but I think the API calls used are counted against the app itself not a user account. I think the issue is that Awful isn’t paying/they’re using the free tier so unless the devs want to pay a monthly fee there isn’t too much that can be done. Don’t take that as gospel though, I’m sure someone will tell me how wrong I am soon.

Edit: yeah it’s an app wide api call limit, not user based. 1,250 api calls per day, I don’t see a monthly limit but I didn’t look very deeply.

Ah, we’re hitting this perhaps:

quote:

If the daily limit is hit five times in a month, then the app will be blocked for the rest of the month.

The API is really designed for services rather than apps, probably because they want you to use the imgur app instead.

I wonder how stuff like ShareX manages it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I've used other stuff that shares to Imgur and I've always just logged into imgur with my own credentials. Can that not be done here?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Definitely a bug but a funny one

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My app suddenly doesn't show the index under the forums tab, only the announcements. I tried updating/reinstalling to no avail.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fool of sound posted:

My app suddenly doesn't show the index under the forums tab, only the announcements. I tried updating/reinstalling to no avail.

Mine’s been doing this for a few days as well

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

heated game moment posted:

Mine’s been doing this for a few days as well

Did it happen after an iOS update? I can’t get it to happen on mine but my phone hasn’t updated in a week or two. If it’s a recent thing for both of you I could see a recent update being the culprit.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did it happen after an iOS update? I can’t get it to happen on mine but my phone hasn’t updated in a week or two. If it’s a recent thing for both of you I could see a recent update being the culprit.

Yeah it's since the last iOS update I think.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
What happens if you go to settings within the app and hit clear cache?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

`Nemesis posted:

What happens if you go to settings within the app and hit clear cache?

No change

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Ah, drat.

fwiw, I’m running 13.5.1 which is the latest iOS with no issues. I wonder what the difference is? Based on what I’ve seen before in this thread sometimes some little setting can break things. Happen to know of any non-default things you’ve set in iOS? Especially related to accessibility or anything that affects display?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Authentication seems to be broken in the app now. I can log in via the website fine, when I use the same name and password in the app, I get no dice.

Any thoughts? I still love the app and use it several hours a day...

Edit: killing the app and relaunching it logged me in again somehow, but now I’ve also lost the forums list. Good thing I only read bookmarked threads?

Ultimate Mango fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 3, 2020

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Something must have changed with either the call we make to get the list of forums or how we handle the result. Let me see if I can get it to happen in the simulator...

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

For what it's worth, I'm on 13.5.1 on an iPad Pro 11 with no issues.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah, I couldn’t get this to happen no matter what I tried, sorry everyone. Hopefully pokeyman recognizes the behavior and can tell what’s causing it.

I also encountered two separate crashes around logging in/out: One involving the managedContext not being available on the thread that was trying to merge updates when logging in, and one involving the login view controller not being initialized on logout if you change to dark mode. Couldn’t make heads or tails of either of them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If SA's not quite dead, I'd like to suggest a minor feature for Awful. Would it be a lot of work, and something others don't mind, to make pressing the bookmarks button when already viewing bookmarks scroll the page to the top? Just a way to make refreshing the tab more convenient.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 4, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How do you post gifs from the iOS photo album?

I tried posting like an image but it didn’t animate.

E- sorry if this isn’t quite the right thread but I’m using Awful

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Snowy posted:

How do you post gifs from the iOS photo album?

I tried posting like an image but it didn’t animate.

E- sorry if this isn’t quite the right thread but I’m using Awful

This is a recent broken thing, used to be you could long-press, choose {img} and then {from library} and it would upload a gif to imgur, now it just uploads a static png.

Test:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This is a recent broken thing, used to be you could long-press, choose {img} and then {from library} and it would upload a gif to imgur, now it just uploads a static png.

Test:

Oh Elvira. Even while only seeing the punchline, you are wonderful.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Test:

Yeah this is probably an Imgur thing. Might be easier to just setup a shortcut

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this is probably an Imgur thing. Might be easier to just setup a shortcut

I wish I knew how. Anyone done this successfully already? Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snowy posted:

I wish I knew how. Anyone done this successfully already? Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I thought it was in the OP, but I was dreaming or something.

This is the one I use:

You can change the first part to pull from the clipboard if you’d rather (I have both), and I guess omit the JPEG conversion step if you’re uploading a GIF.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Pretty sure I saw someone mention it on one of the previous pages, but Awful App seems to eat punctuation randomly. Quotation marks and em dashes will appear in my post’s text, and in the preview screen, but then disappear at time of posting. When other users quote my post, the punctuation is missing from the quote, so I guess it somehow never made it to the forums? Edit: but other times it appears to work normally. I am very confused.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 7, 2020

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The twitter embeds have been broken for awhile right? Wasn't sure if that was just me or not, figured that would be something people would rush to fix in a beta build.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

The twitter embeds have been broken for awhile right? Wasn't sure if that was just me or not, figured that would be something people would rush to fix in a beta build.

They seem to be working for me?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
They break (and Twitter itself refuses to load images) whenever I use a VPN. Could that be the issue?

I don't think it's Awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grundulum posted:

Pretty sure I saw someone mention it on one of the previous pages, but Awful App seems to eat punctuation randomly. Quotation marks and em dashes will appear in my post’s text, and in the preview screen, but then disappear at time of posting. When other users quote my post, the punctuation is missing from the quote, so I guess it somehow never made it to the forums? Edit: but other times it appears to work normally. I am very confused.

I’ve had that happen and when I go back to edit the post, the quotation marks are still there, it’s making it to the server somehow but not displaying.