Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Renegret posted:

The Beignets are one of the many reasons why Port Orleans is the best resort.

I'm sorry, I think you misspoke. Sure, visiting Port Orleans is great. But hiding at Fort Wilderness is pretty great.

Empress Brosephine posted:

carousel of progress and tom sawyer island are absolutely the next things going away imho

gently caress tom sawyer island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

This was faked, by the by. Sorry for posting it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Look if they can ruin my childhood Transformers, I don’t see why they can’t ruin your childhood Disney rides. :colbert:

(I keed I keed lest Braksgirl whaps me upside the head with a Mickey frying pan)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Neither Tiki Room or Tom Sawyer Island were included in the list of rumored attractions being reviewed.

quote:

1. Splash Mountain
2. American Adventure
3. Hall of Presidents
4. Country Bear Jamboree
5. Whoop De Doo Review
6. Carousel of Progress
7. It's a Small World
8. Peter Pan's Flight

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Haha Carousal of Progress. I kind of enjoy that the future segment has so many things that actually exist now.

Omne posted:

LOL disboard never lets me down....

I desperately want the "should it be changed to Disney IP World?" person to elaborate because... everything in Disney World is Disney's IP. It's Disney IP World by design

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Zero One posted:

Neither Tiki Room or Tom Sawyer Island were included in the list of rumored attractions being reviewed.

Well I'm hoping #3 gets changed in November for obvious reasons.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Macaluso posted:

Haha Carousal of Progress. I kind of enjoy that the future segment has so many things that actually exist now.

I desperately want the "should it be changed to Disney IP World?" person to elaborate because... everything in Disney World is Disney's IP. It's Disney IP World by design

We're also desperately pretending here that Song of the South wasn't an IP... :v:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I will go live in Florida forever, condemning myself to literally impossible summers and no winters ever again, if I can personally torch the American Adventure legally.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/joe_rohde/status/1276230540241166336?s=21

Joe Rohde thinks it's going to be great.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he said the same about navi river journey

https://d23.com/exclusive-walt-disney-imagineerings-bob-weis-discusses-reimagining-splash-mountain-for-tiana-and-her-friends/

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Macaluso posted:

Lots of older, "classic" attractions pre-date their IP (Pirates, Jungle Cruise) and some don't have any (Big Thunder, Space Mountain, etc.). What's funny about that person is that Splash *was* based (loosely) on IP, just not a very well-known one. When they got rid of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, one of the reasons was that people no longer associated it with its IP.

People just like to bitch. That person is apparently against any re-theming that adds or changes the IP of the original attraction.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Brer Rabbit is one of the oldest characters in human existence, representing the use of personal ingenuity to escape precarious situations.

The only images of this story in american culture are being removed from view.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What exactly is wrong with Carousel other than being charmingly old-fashioned? Did I forget a scene where the dad refers to some negroes moving into the neighborhood?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

edit: nope

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

wtf gently caress this thread

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

Brer Rabbit is one of the oldest characters in human existence, representing the use of personal ingenuity to escape precarious situations.

The only images of this story in american culture are being removed from view.

You still have Bugs Bunny, dude.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I am very on board for the re-theme

For anybody worried they won’t get to say goodbye - there is no way this happens for a while. You will have time to go and ride the OG.

And worst case, go to Japan. They have OG Redd on pirates too so.... you can absorb all the old a Disney stuff you want.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

chitoryu12 posted:

What exactly is wrong with Carousel other than being charmingly old-fashioned? Did I forget a scene where the dad refers to some negroes moving into the neighborhood?

Yeah I mentioned back when it was brought up that the only thing I can think of is that it’s purely a white middle class happy go lucky look at the 20th century and the 20th century suuuuuuucked for anyone else. If they had each scene be a different family from a different background they wouldn’t even have to show the bad stuff but just show their journey to and through America at that time or something. It could be a lot more cosmopolitan and realistic without being bleak.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah I mentioned back when it was brought up that the only thing I can think of is that it’s purely a white middle class happy go lucky look at the 20th century and the 20th century suuuuuuucked for anyone else. If they had each scene be a different family from a different background they wouldn’t even have to show the bad stuff but just show their journey to and through America at that time or something. It could be a lot more cosmopolitan and realistic without being bleak.

I mean, the family does kind of devolve from fairly cutting edge to poor typical bleak suburbia sitcom dad. Isn't that punishment enough

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
For attractions like CoP, AA and HoP it's more likely that Disney wants to improve them with a more inclusive story of America. They aren't "bad" (except current HoP) but they could be better.

For Peter Pan and Small World it's going to be removing the racist dolls while keeping everything else.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Peter Pan is too legacy to ever remove it completely (I think they should absolutely just start over in that spot with a different movie) but they could really stand to shut down the ride and give it a full redo. Everything about that ride is SO dated now. At the very least give the ride proper animatronics. You see Ursula over there?? You aint got poo poo on that Ursula, Captain Hook

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ah yes, the great city of Anaheim, Florida.

(I know what they meant but just say Orlando, wtf)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The comma is serving as a separator for the Anaheim and Florida locations. Common use of a comma in headlines.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

The comma is serving as a separator for the Anaheim and Florida locations. Common use of a comma in headlines.

It reads awkwardly because they used city in one and state in the other and it’s not like there are multiple parks in California to confuse readers. It’s bad style.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hazo posted:

Ah yes, the great city of Anaheim, Florida.

(I know what they meant but just say Orlando, wtf)

Orange County.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Peter Pan is too legacy to ever remove it completely (I think they should absolutely just start over in that spot with a different movie) but they could really stand to shut down the ride and give it a full redo. Everything about that ride is SO dated now. At the very least give the ride proper animatronics. You see Ursula over there?? You aint got poo poo on that Ursula, Captain Hook

Can we please make the Darling bedroom larger so people can just walk around me while I grab shadow butterflies forever, while we're doing this?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Circutron posted:

We're also desperately pretending here that Song of the South wasn't an IP... :v:

It was the first toon IP to escape the confines of Fantasyland. Which has become more of a problem in the 21st century.

During Splash's final months of construction and first weeks of operation, I spent more time at the parks than I did any time in my life. Disneyland had actual periods where the crowds were dead, characters didn't have lines form to meet them but instead entertained small crowds and picked kids out of a mob, many rides had little to no waiting. Splash was the new big thing so I feel like I kinda understand how boomers feel watching it fade into history. The new ride sounds fine, but I hope they don't use this as an excuse to rip 50+ animatronics out.

Also hoping the "Splash Mountain" name sticks, it's a classic title that has gently caress-all to do with Song of the South specifically.

And finally I'd put my money on Peter Pan's Flight being next. The ethnic stereotypes in that make up very little of the ride and aren't as memorable as flying over the city or Captain Hook.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 26, 2020

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Silly Burrito posted:

Well I'm hoping #3 gets changed in November for obvious reasons.

The rumor is that they’ll give up on it entirely rather than put Robotrump in the crowd o’ presidents.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So it's basically impossible to get thru to disney at the moment to cancel our APs, that's awesome. I tried all day yesterday and got sorry circuit is busy at the moment message all day long.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

mattfl posted:

So it's basically impossible to get thru to disney at the moment to cancel our APs, that's awesome. I tried all day yesterday and got sorry circuit is busy at the moment message all day long.

Wasn't there something coming in July that was supposed to offer a better refund or something? Or is it rolling now? I'm interested in cancelling mine.

Edit: Well the park pass reservation system seems less on fire today from what I can see. Got as far as hitting confirm on Hollywood studios for July 22nd. Didn't click through confirm for the final part of it but it seems better than what they had a few days ago.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 26, 2020

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Also hoping the "Splash Mountain" name sticks, it's a classic title that has gently caress-all to do with Song of the South specifically.

I'm only going by pictures I've seen of New Orleans since I've never been there, but I don't think there are mountains there

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Craptacular! posted:

And finally I'd put my money on Peter Pan's Flight being next. The ethnic stereotypes in that make up very little of the ride and aren't as memorable as flying over the city or Captain Hook.

I'd bet on jungle cruise. especially with the new movie due soon

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

If they had each scene be a different family from a different background they wouldn’t even have to show the bad stuff but just show their journey to and through America at that time or something. It could be a lot more cosmopolitan and realistic without being bleak.

The problem is that nodding toward the multi-cultural history of America without addressing how insanely lovely things were for people deemed not white is arguably as much a problem as just "this one family we're going to follow is white."

Like, Ragtime (the musical) starts at the turn of the century with the main character talking about how great America is because now he gets to own a car, then some firemen destroy it, then his wife gets shot by police, then he gets shot by police. The show also ends with a variation on there's a great big beautiful tomorrow, but it sort of earns it. The park's naive optimism is wonderful but also hard to imagine meshing with reality in any meaningful way.

EDIT: Yeah, I'd bet money the scene with the natives is going to get exorcised from Jungle Cruise, and good riddance. There'll probably be Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt animatronics put in, which isn't great, but its still probably a net improvement. There's a compelling argument that Trader Sam should be reworked, and a version of the character that's, like, comic relief trader rather than "shrunken head witch doctor" is probably the best outcome from the movie.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 26, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Macaluso posted:

I'm only going by pictures I've seen of New Orleans since I've never been there, but I don't think there are mountains there

No mountains in space either.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Had zero trouble getting reservations today, just to see what it was like. Not sure I'll keep the reservations, but the issues from the 22nd seem gone.

Next experiment: seeing if it'll be possible to get a random, 2PM reservation to get in to Epcot

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Boxman posted:

The problem is that nodding toward the multi-cultural history of America without addressing how insanely lovely things were for people deemed not white is arguably as much a problem as just "this one family we're going to follow is white."

Like, Ragtime (the musical) starts at the turn of the century with the main character talking about how great America is because now he gets to own a car, then some firemen destroy it, then his wife gets shot by police, then he gets shot by police. The show also ends with a variation on there's a great big beautiful tomorrow, but it sort of earns it. The park's naive optimism is wonderful but also hard to imagine meshing with reality in any meaningful way.

EDIT: Yeah, I'd bet money the scene with the natives is going to get exorcised from Jungle Cruise, and good riddance. There'll probably be Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt animatronics put in, which isn't great, but its still probably a net improvement. There's a compelling argument that Trader Sam should be reworked, and a version of the character that's, like, comic relief trader rather than "shrunken head witch doctor" is probably the best outcome from the movie.

The main goal of the parks (especially MK) is to entertain, not educate. Certain elements of rides fail to entertain due to racist or otherwise problematic caricatures, and so they either have been dealt with (redhead in Pirates) or will/should be (Peter Pan, small world, etc.). Carousel is meant to talk about technological progress, and I think they can update it to be more inclusive and keep to its theme. American Adventure is a more appropriate setting to talk about how lovely things were for people; doing so in Carousel doesn't make sense.

John: "Give's you something to do after you get home. I kind of like it, you know? A guy named John Cameron Swayze gives us all the news and then they have all this singing and dancing. A lot of fluff, but it's fun. I even heard of a woman in Alabama who refused to give up her seat on a bus to a white woman, can you believe that? Just goes to show you that There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrrroooooooow"

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Omne posted:

I even heard of a woman in Alabama who refused to give up her seat on a bus to a white woman, can you believe that? Just goes to show you that There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrrroooooooow"

This is a good take, but now I want this line in there

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'd prefer they leave Jungle Cruise alone forever, and just strip the narrative out of Splash Mountain and keep the songs. And the vultures.q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My problem with Magic Kingdom is that it always felt like a time machine to me. I feel like the vast majority of the park needs a serious modernization but there's a lot of "classics" that are untouchable. Like, the country bear jamboree is loving boring as hell, but I will watch it every time I go because it's a classic, and I enjoy the animatroinics and being impressed with what they were able to pull of with the technology of the time. But it totally feels like I stepped into the past to a time way before I was born.

I love Jungle Cruise but the way the natives are portrayed makes me feel real dirty. I always have to let go and just remind myself, it was something that was generally accepted at the time when the park was built.

I find it funny that the time machine thing is ultimately what's biting them in the rear end. I'm hoping a little bit of editing can help make the park feel a lot more modern too.

I'm also super pumped for the new Tron coaster, Magic Kingdom needs it.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 26, 2020