Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lol I just found an easter egg/cool attention to detail

Go to a campfire and pull out a marshmallow as the cycle ends. Bonus points, mash the prompt when it appears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

It’s on Giants Deep. On two of the islands. Platform with a blue spirally lines coming up.

Yes I have my spacesuit on. It’s not ghost matter.

I think maybe you mean what I kind of treated as landing pads for my ship, they have downward gravity fields to keep your ship stable if the island gets rocketed into space. I think you might be dying on them by standing on them for a long time because the gravity is heavy on that planet, and the gentle field of the landing pad still gives you enough rope to slam yourself dead into the ground once going from zero-g in space, back to 2x on the planet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Look Sir Droids posted:

It’s on Giants Deep. On two of the islands. Platform with a blue spirally lines coming up.

Yes I have my spacesuit on. It’s not ghost matter.

Is it one of these things?

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 25, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Cojawfee posted:

Is it one of these things?

Yes, top one.

I will try landing on them but Im a dogshit spaceman. I generally land like a bowling ball lol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Those are for landing your ship in places that might go to space or are in space. So you don't have to worry about your ship floating away.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yes, top one.

I will try landing on them but Im a dogshit spaceman. I generally land like a bowling ball lol.

Always use your landing camera to land, assuming from that comment you're not, it's really good at it. A few lets plays I watched almost all of them seemed to totally forget it's there.

minema
May 31, 2011
Landing camera is for cowards, I prefer to aim for the nearest tree and do repairs afterwards.

Also what kind of person is everyone: when you hear the music start do you
a) drop everything to watch as the music plays; or
b) frantically try to discover everything you possibly can in the area you're in?

Me and my husband are taking it in turns and I like to watch, he likes to keep searching, I feel like we're too different. I will leave unread text/objects to get a good viewpoint and just stand there for a minute (as long as it's not in a horrible time locked area, I'm not a monster) and he hates it.

Also I love this game so much and desperately want to finish it but also never want it to end!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Cactus posted:

Always use your landing camera to land, assuming from that comment you're not, it's really good at it. A few lets plays I watched almost all of them seemed to totally forget it's there.

I use the landing camera but I just let the ship fall where it’s going. I thought it was automated.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

I use the landing camera but I just let the ship fall where it’s going. I thought it was automated.

Nope.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

minema posted:

Also what kind of person is everyone: when you hear the music start do you
a) drop everything to watch as the music plays; or
b) frantically try to discover everything you possibly can in the area you're in?

a. Embrace the cleansing beauty of what is coming.

Glad to see more people discovering this gem.

spaceblancmange fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 25, 2020

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just realized another way this is a horror game - every time the cycle ends everything probably gets hotter and hotter, resulting in searing pain in the last seconds before the nova brings the merciful release of death. And then the cycle repeats, and you remember every second of pain.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ymgve posted:

Just realized another way this is a horror game - every time the cycle ends everything probably gets hotter and hotter, resulting in searing pain in the last seconds before the nova brings the merciful release of death. And then the cycle repeats, and you remember every second of pain.

I mean, that also goes with suffocating in the depths of space and being slowly crushed by rising sand. Being vaporized to the atomic level is probably a relatively pleasant way to go.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ymgve posted:

I like to think the body would stop feeling anything before pain got unbearable.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I never used auto pilot or the landing cam cause I thought flying around like maverick was just too drat FUN :D basically I just wanted Feldspar to be proud

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I like to think the body would stop feeling anything before pain got unbearable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHdRFUJuptU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I'm having a bit of trouble dealing with the jumps to get in to the I think it's the South Observatory on Brittle Hollow, but it may be something different. I finally made it once but then something (I don't know what, a giant ball of blue light) killed me before I could even finish the first Nomai message board. Whatever it is, it's the first settlement built around their escape pod. I'm finding it a bit tedious because the rickety walkway that collapses when you touch it is not working well for me with my bad jetpack skills. Then if I miss any of those jumps or stumble at all, in to the blackhole. Am I missing an easy approach here?

I did manage to make it to White Hole Station, then back to Brittle Hollow via warping. But it's a bit of a slog to have to keep attempting this maneuver to get under the escape pod/station thingy.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble dealing with the jumps to get in to the I think it's the South Observatory on Brittle Hollow, but it may be something different. I finally made it once but then something (I don't know what, a giant ball of blue light) killed me before I could even finish the first Nomai message board. Whatever it is, it's the first settlement built around their escape pod. I'm finding it a bit tedious because the rickety walkway that collapses when you touch it is not working well for me with my bad jetpack skills. Then if I miss any of those jumps or stumble at all, in to the blackhole. Am I missing an easy approach here?

I did manage to make it to White Hole Station, then back to Brittle Hollow via warping. But it's a bit of a slog to have to keep attempting this maneuver to get under the escape pod/station thingy.

i mean this with nothing but a heart full of love and respect but it thrills me having watched you post about this game for a week now across a couple of threads, and you're still yet unaware of what keeps killing you

anyway instead of loving around with the rickety stairs, can you find a faster way to get under the crust? can you fly your ship under the crust? what about that big basket looking cylinder thing sticking up out of the ground?

also giant spoiler about your repeated death: the sun is going supernova and destroying everything in an inescapable ball of flames every 22 minutes because you are stuck in a time loop

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Man I am having such a good time with this game again and it looks marvelous at 4K. Given that this game is indie it's unbelievable to me how well polished it is and that it doesn't crash every 30 seconds with everything going on that it's tracking. Since this came out on Steam last week I've been slowly going through it again a year later with a self-imposed ruleset of pretend-playing as though it's my first time (Only going to places cold and just groping around aimlessly like a teenager making out for the first time and only exploring/solving puzzles that I find definitive clues for) and my goodness it's a good time. I'm hoping this way I can unlock the chieve for filling out the computer naturally without looking anything up!

I just found coordinates for the eye of the universe after the hints my pal Feldpsar gave me about passing through the electrical shield. Great, I now know what the coordinates for what is likely the Eye of the Universe are but I don't have anything to use them on! Now that Giant's Deep is fully explored I should go tinker around more with that scary Brittle Hollow planet. Last time I was there I happened upon the Giant's Deep rip currents solution by rock-climbing near where I found my friend Riebeck but my ship tells me there's some sort of massive hanging city I should check out. Lots of references to something called "Ash Twin" project as well but it can't be that important since I couldn't find anything about it on its surface... Probably just some red herring :rolleyes:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

luxury handset posted:

i mean this with nothing but a heart full of love and respect but it thrills me having watched you post about this game for a week now across a couple of threads, and you're still yet unaware of what keeps killing you

I'm very dumb!

Also, I knew about the supernova but I'm not very good at judging how much time has gone by, so I didn't think that was what was killing me. I also did not expect a supernova to be blue and the blue ball seemed smaller than the sun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There’s an audio cue for that that’s very hard to miss, it takes about 60 seconds and is audible no matter where you are

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

There’s an audio cue for that that’s very hard to miss, it takes about 60 seconds and is audible no matter where you are

Also, on PS4, your controller starts to gently rumble as the time approaches.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Lore question:

Why does the probe launcher keep firing in random directions even AFTER the probe computer knows the location of the Eye? Shouldn't it have stopped once it found its goal?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Lore question:

Why does the probe launcher keep firing in random directions even AFTER the probe computer knows the location of the Eye? Shouldn't it have stopped once it found its goal?

late game stuff: the probe launcher is programmed to fire in a random direction and the probe is programmed to report back what it finds. It's likely they didn't program it to stop when it found something because it wouldn't really matter. If the sun station had worked, they would wake up back in time, and check the logs, see it worked, and then stop the sun station. If the probe launcher had already fired again and broke, oh well, not like they need to use it again anyway. There's no reason to program in a log check when you want as much time as possible for the probe to find the eye.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Lore question:

Nomai expected to be around to turn off the sun station blowing up the sun as well as the cannon when they found it, the had abandoned the project when the sun station failed and didn't expect to/plan on getting interloper'd

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Lore question:

No need for an automated shutoff, they were supposed to turn the whole project off manually.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I feel like my one criticism with the overall story is how the interloper and ghost matter just all of a sudden interrupts everything and just immediately ends the story for the nomai. I understand entirely that it's all about how unforgiving and unexpected space can be, I just found it a bit lacking on a narrative front where everything felt so crafted and connected, but the thing that ended it all was just a stroke of unluck. But I guess even that too could play a balancing act in that structure, to have all this meticulously interconnected narrative just collapse due to some random variable that just Appears one day

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's how life works though. There's no story or plan to how your life will go. Sometimes you're in the wrong place at the wrong time and you die for no reason. It happens all the time. It's a big issue going on in the news right now.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Futaba Anzu posted:

I feel like my one criticism with the overall story is how the interloper and ghost matter just all of a sudden interrupts everything and just immediately ends the story for the nomai. I understand entirely that it's all about how unforgiving and unexpected space can be, I just found it a bit lacking on a narrative front where everything felt so crafted and connected, but the thing that ended it all was just a stroke of unluck. But I guess even that too could play a balancing act in that structure, to have all this meticulously interconnected narrative just collapse due to some random variable that just Appears one day

Yeah a lot of people get mad at that but for me it's just like their curiosity got the best of them. They would just naively dive head-first into everything they were curious about, throwing caution to the wind until one day they paid the ultimate price. It's almost karmic retribution for the reveal on the Vessel that the extinct nomai culture that we run across the whole game straight-up abandoned their entire fleet to pursue the Eye without even notifying anyone about it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

Yeah a lot of people get mad at that but for me it's just like their curiosity got the best of them. They would just naively dive head-first into everything they were curious about, throwing caution to the wind until one day they paid the ultimate price. It's almost karmic retribution for the reveal on the Vessel that the extinct nomai culture that we run across the whole game straight-up abandoned their entire fleet to pursue the Eye without even notifying anyone about it.

The Nomai didn't have anything to do with the Interloper ghost mattering them all to death, didn't they? It was going to happen, one way or another; the only thing their expedition changed was that a few of them got a horrifying warning about what was about to happen to their entire people.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I think the Core rupturing during their exploration was not a coincidence, but there's no evidence

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

dmboogie posted:

The Nomai didn't have anything to do with the Interloper ghost mattering them all to death, didn't they? It was going to happen, one way or another; the only thing their expedition changed was that a few of them got a horrifying warning about what was about to happen to their entire people.

They didn't. They saw the interloper was coming into the star system and went to go check it out. I'm assuming that being heated by the sun is what caused the core of ghost matter to explode and spread the ghost matter around the system. All the logs showed was that the two nomai were examining the core and that pressure was building up inside. Maybe it's possible their equipment could cause it to rupture, but I think it was just they happened to be there right when it happened. Their curiosity might have gotten them lost in this system, but all their curiosity did this time was cause two of the nomai to die a little bit sooner than everyone else. There was nothing that could be done to save them.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

beep by grandpa posted:

honestly the nomai seem rad as heck and i was rooting for them

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I found the fate of the nomai sad, but satisfying in that it mirrors the end of everything that you have to face by the end of the game. It's not fair or planned that everything is coming to an end just as your civilisation is starting to explore the universe, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. All you can do is leave something positive behind to help whoever comes next.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The interloper being the cause of the extinction of the nomai is definitely also meant to be a bait and switch. You expect it to be hubris that brought them down due to risky science but then it turns out it was just a tragic natural disaster. The game does the same thing with the supernova. You expect it to be caused by the sun station or some other left over nomai tech but it also turns out to just be a natural disaster and the remnants of the nomai are actually saving you

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Man, I hate games like this...

Because I always feel so down once they're all over.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

definitely never had a game I wanted to eternal sunshine away as much as this one

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I ate up this game last week. Might be my favorite game of all time. Might be one of my favorite things of all time? I could gush about why forever. It’s just so good.

I got my partner to play it and he’s just as hooked. I’ve been just sitting watching him play. It’s the closest I’ll get to being able to play it over again for the first time, and it’s super fun seeing him figure stuff out.

It’s also REALLY interesting seeing what other people do and in what order. He went to a couple of places right off the bat that I never made it to until super late game on my playthrough.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Does Outer Wilds have a save any time system that unlocks after the tutorial? After getting softlocked twice during it and having to start from the beginning, I'm kinda over dealing with its jank unless there's a solution once you get past it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It saves, at a minimum, once every twenty two minutes.

e: Also, how on earth did you get soft-locked during the tutorial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
First time I got stuck in or under a railing, second time I walked over a tree root and got stuck in a falling animation.