Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I hate how this ecosystem can't be replicated. This is like watching white rhinos get shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

corgski posted:

If you hate the SA mods bread and roses exists. The posting revolution you desperately want will be won by just loving going anywhere else holy gently caress.

what kind of mod community drama am I escaping

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

fauisuseless posted:

New management always tries to make a mark, it'll still veer to one extreme on the spectrum because the kinda person to take over is the kinda person who wants that power, SA works because the owner is a pillhead who doesn't care and lets it run wild

I'd still love to see a proper open forum where the site belongs to all users, and users vote in anonymously for mods for each section with a mandatory term limit and where other mods/admins can also quickly react to remove anyone being problematic. It can't be worst than the current system and would prob allow for very different community minded posters to feel mentally safe to post in their respective sections much like they do now.

also

hemoptysis
Jan 4, 2007

y-y-YAY
:ohdear:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Nurge is Lowtax pass it on

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Muscle Wizard posted:

i dunno how much responsibility we can expect from people that do this poo poo on a volunteer basis. its easy now in hindsight to see that thing have become really bad but mods and admins have their own lives to deal with too. it wouldnt hurt to get a loving apology though.

yea the people who banned people for posting about the abuse in the past should at the very least loving apologize (and should probably not still be in a position of power)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

you can tell these are ancient shmorky pics cause hes drawn like he used to look, like fat herbert west reanimator

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

witchy posted:

The "mods have lives" things rings hollow when you can trigger a psychotic break by posting baba booey at the podcast mod or the en mod stalks someone into other subforums to scold them. The end result of having a notoriously strict mod crew but also vaguely defined standards is that people who have little sense of boundaries between themselves, others, and the forum are selected for and actively enabled. The whole thing of having to be recruited in the first place by like minded mods doesn't help

i dont think you can expect the podcast mod to take a personal interest in lowtaxes social life though when they just wanna talk about podcasts.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Squiggle posted:

Every megathread in Games is its own community, poo poo

I really want an admin to drop the access logs that show % of hits against people's own bookmark page vs. hits against any forum listing

SA really codified the concept of living in your own bookmarks

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao whats the origin story of that sock puppet penis

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Popoto posted:

btw for those that were concerned about BnR having a sexpest mod, he was unmodded [edit]and banned[/edit] in like half an hour after the allegations came up there. just goes to show discourse IS possible.

Good

G.A.P.O.
Jun 24, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MorningMoon posted:

Y'know, given everything we've heard about LowTax, he probably has a treasure chest buried in the middle of nowhere with like 50K dollars.

He probably hauling rear end out there in his GTR now with an axe and a crowbar

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

It sucks that SA cant be moved elsewhere without the orb generating the island's power, which will disintegrate if touched

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Only registered members can see post attachments!

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

why does/did lowtax owe tax anyway? was he just literally too stupid to pay his taxes and got caught or what?

kinda amazing considering he’s under the impression that his tax rate is somehow 50%

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
Why am I serious posting about this dead gay site. gently caress you lowtax, this is beyond saving. Mods please step down and open the mod forum so we can see how terrible things kept happening right under your noses.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

this may come as a surprise to you but SA isn't "a whole community", it's like 10 communities wrapped in a trench coat pretending to be one forum and any time there's cross pollination between 2 of them it blows up in drama, bans, reports, and QCS threads that goes completely unnoticed by the other 8 communities until months after the fact when there's a PYF saga post about it

Yeah but you can also go into a subforum you've never frequented, for specific advice and get 5 people responding to help you regardless if you're part of their specific slice of things. Idk where you're getting the 'cross pollination drama' from, but drama like that almost always comes from within. When it's broken up with people not necessarily a regular part of the more 'focused' areas, where anyone can come in and post anywhere, imo there will be less insular thinking and infighting based on fractional differences of opinion. With a few exceptions of course, notably the ones that feel they need to split off from the main body to have their 'own' thing.

Like BnR.

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

:five:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

if you say two blatantly false things and one true thing, is it really that surprising that the people who know the first two things are false are going to assume the third is as well

the situation was handled in less than a day from accusation to execution so sitting on something awful of all places and trying to claim "that's terrible" is pretty hilarious

So far from what I've seen it is two true things: One outed a trans individual against their will (which is being written off as "that person deserved it" which is *super disgusting* even before you get to people using the fact that a mod banned them here as an excuse) and the other was a sex pest. Even if only the second one was true it still began at "Oh well that has to be false" which is the exact loving mindset that is supposed to be unacceptable. Trying to cite how fast the demodding came afterwards doesn't really do much. Was the person also banned? Because if you're demodding someone for being a sex pest and not banning them what does that say?

(And I feel the same way about SA mods, especially with how much has come to light over the past few days. That poo poo is inexcusable.)

I am sitting on SA because I'm interested in the resolution of this. Once it is resolved I'm gone. v:shobon:v I can't imagine any situation where this gets resolved that isn't a hilarious trainwreck and I've already made contact with the people I want to stay in contact with.

Edit: I missed the banned edit thing so that is good!

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
like yeah the podcast mod could strike out against lowtaxes horrible ways but theyd just get banned, have anything they said removed, and lose access to a community that they care enough about to moderate.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao whats the origin story of that sock puppet penis

I sucked it so hard the structural integrity failed

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Realtalk, Here is the only way forward for the forum. No offsite will work as they are always at one extreme of the forum spectrum. Either a pussy hugbox tumblr like BnR where thought policing is the entire point of it's existence, or extremely comically racist like SomethingSensitive.

1.) depose lowtax somehow?

2.) institute a double jeopardy leper's colony, where i personally decide if a mod action was justified and if not their punishment gets applied to their stupid idiot rear end instead. Not one minute more of this unaccountable crouching rear end in a top hat hidden bitch moderation.

3.) undo all bans and permabans. There has been a decade of stupid petty rear end in a top hat tyrants like FactsAreUseless ruining this site with their stupid petty rear end in a top hat tantrums. We can re-sort out the true shitheads that deserve bans on the second round through, with the double jeopardy system. If AATrek isn't in jail somehow and came back you'd better believe that's a permaban. If Burt Sexual throws yet another tantrum and tries to ban someone for making a funny joke then he is getting thrown to the curb until he quits coming back or stops having crybaby tantrums. Problem solved.

4.) Lower the cost or eliminate the cost of most forum features. Once the giant parasitic leech has been removed from the revenue equation then someone who isn't a gigantic piece of lying poo poo can explain what really happens with money around here. We can keep traditional features like the membership cost or something (maybe at $5) but if we aren't buying Porsche and mansions for useless drunks that refuse to work then we can probably scale back and make the forums a bit more attractive with a free archive, smilies, in-site ads and avatar changes.

5.) Upgrade the forum once #4 is figured out.

Unfortunately since it's impossible to remove Lowtax from this forum this is impossible. He registered a domain 20+ years ago so he deserves millions of dollars from other people's content and thoughts. The only actual way forward is an offsite, which won't work. Even if we don't get a horrible extreme like BnR or SASS then we would just have unaccountable mods/admins ruining the place from the start instead of taking 20 years to kill the momentum this forum's community had with their actions.

This is 100% correct, and why I'm coming to terms with the end of the forums, at least as we know it.

SA has that nice balance, like you said, and all you have to do is look at QCS to see. It's filled with people wanting to go from one extreme to the other, basically changing what the Something Awful forums are. The mods and admins have done a decent job of trying to keep that middle ground, letting the forums grow with the times while also keeping enough of the attitude that makes SA what it is.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

G.A.P.O. posted:

He probably hauling rear end out there in his GTR now with an axe and a crowbar

He has a ton of traffic violations in the missouri courts case system so this is probably very accurate

maybe he hosed up his spine by spinning out one too many times

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

you can tell these are ancient shmorky pics cause hes drawn like he used to look, like fat herbert west reanimator

i like the newer art where klurfs who look and act like children masturbate while pissing and making GBS threads themselves and people paid money to see it on shmorkys patreon

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I really want an admin to drop the access logs that show % of hits against people's own bookmark page vs. hits against any forum listing

guaranteed there are loads of people happily posting in megathreads via their bookmarks that have no idea about any of this because no one has dropped them a link yet.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

this may come as a surprise to you but SA isn't "a whole community", it's like 10 communities wrapped in a trench coat pretending to be one forum and any time there's cross pollination between 2 of them it blows up in drama, bans, reports, and QCS threads that goes completely unnoticed by the other 8 communities until months after the fact when there's a PYF saga post about it

it says sooo much about you that you think that sa is just a bunch of entirely different and totally incompatible factions existing side by side

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

drunken officeparty posted:

you awaken to find yourself stranded on a dessert island. which of the following do you choose:

1. Fruit roll up
B. Gushers
3. Fruit by the foot

choose wisely....

Soda Licious :rip:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
lol BnR

James Woods posted:

They rejected my application almost immediately. Hope you don't have a name that makes them think you're a chud. This is especially funny since I've spent the last month streaming protests and setting up fundraising pages for injured protesters.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

garfield hentai posted:

beaten pages ago kinda but eh

lmaooo

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
close thread and goldmine

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

fauisuseless posted:

New management always tries to make a mark, it'll still veer to one extreme on the spectrum because the kinda person to take over is the kinda person who wants that power, SA works because the owner is a pillhead who doesn't care and lets it run wild

there are plenty of small time people who just quietly dont want this place to die and would happily just let it run without being The Guy but weirdly someone like that wouldnt be seen as the right person or "involved in the community" enough i think.

dont forget 1) this place probably DOES make money 2) without lowtax suckling on the teat there will be money to hire a few more full/part time employees.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

corgski posted:

If you hate the SA mods bread and roses exists. The posting revolution you desperately want will be won by just loving going anywhere else holy gently caress.

Breads and Roses sounds like a lovely place just based on their mile long list of forbidden topics on the front page.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Muscle Wizard posted:

i dont think you can expect the podcast mod to take a personal interest in lowtaxes social life though when they just wanna talk about podcasts.

like i said a bunch of times, i dont blame every mod. the niche forums folks might be obsessive in their fiefdom but not have much awareness of wider forum events. the mods making the decision to hide evidence and ban people for talking about it are the problem. i dont know the structure of the mod or admin team or whatever, but the people responsible for that should not be mods any more.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

My own bookmark was straight to Games for like 10 years until I finally figured out bookmarking threads and the User Control Panel

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Problem is when you go around calling pussies and saying corny stuff like "thought policing" you also sound like a nimrod. IMO all is doomed

and on a good forum you would have every right to whine about what I said and I could say that you are being a pussy too.

You don't have to have a complete lock down on the posted words of other people, trying to chase a posting utopia where no one is ever offended by anything anyone ever says anywhere, to avoid the ultraracist chaos of SomethingSensitive.

This is why Bread and Roses is a joke and it's why I'm mocking it. Goons just have trouble with anything that isn't BLACK or WHITE.

You can roast me for using "Thought Policing" then I can explain that I'm not using it as a wicked Republican takedown of THE LIBERALS or whatever, just that i think the literal definition of the words applies to what happens at bread and roses. Then we can further a conversation on the baggage certain terms have and learn things. Or i guess over there I could be banned from existence.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 26, 2020

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

lmao

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
In the thread, rated 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002