Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

baka kaba posted:

the best part about this is if you're anything like me you just spent 5 minutes deciding what to do while everyone at the table makes exasperated noises, so I like imagining how impressed they are when kiryu pulls out that move

I tried an online version once and lol

Everyone just HANG ON, I need to page through the rulebook again to see if this thing is an 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.
Gonna pick up Life is Strange 2 I think but unsure what else.

Anyone have recs for games focusing on murder mysteries? Doesn't have to be the entire focus but some kind of gameplay involved in deduction and investigation.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
drat, Cities Skylines got a ton of dlc. I probably won't get it, was just browsing, noticed the complete collection and :gonk:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn is borderline; officially its min spec requires a discrete GPU, but she might be able to get by without? It's not on a huge discount this sale, so it might be one to leave for another time.
I played it without issue on an ancient integrated GPU (macbook pro with intel HD graphics 3000), it's a game that can run on fairly minimal gpus. Same for The Talos Principle, I think Croteam put in the work so that it'll run on a toaster if you use min settings.

e: Recursed and Stephen's Sausage Roll are my go-to recommendation for complex puzzle games beyond what has already been mentioned.

e2: my craptop also handled Portal 2 just fine, now that I think about it

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 26, 2020

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Edmond Dantes posted:

drat, Cities Skylines got a ton of dlc. I probably won't get it, was just browsing, noticed the complete collection and :gonk:

Haven't purchased the last two DLC but yeah, there's a ton of stuff. You can skip a lot of it - the content creator and the radio packs, for example. Also Natural Disasters.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Edmond Dantes posted:

You just need Mass Transit. Everything else is flavor or what might interest you.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

too much dead rat posted:

Anyone have recs for games focusing on murder mysteries? Doesn't have to be the entire focus but some kind of gameplay involved in deduction and investigation.

Return of the Obra Dinn is the ultimate murder mystery game, and one of the best narrative puzzle games ever made.

The Painscreek Killings is a full-on murder mystery where you have an entire abandoned town to explore, but with the size of the place you'd better be prepared to search every drawer and keep your own notes.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Doom Eternal is ridiculously well optimized. My computer (CPU especially) is no spring chicken and DE hums along at a solid 60 FPS with most/all of the bells and whistles on.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

phoenix wright

edit: Hollow Knight is a story in which you investigate how a kingdom was murdered.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 26, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jamfrost!! Thank you so much for Glass Masquerade 2!!

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

The Sherlock Holmes games are solid.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
You're welcome. I'm hoping to become the master of all Steam coins. Muahahaha.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Return of the Obra Dinn
Disco Elysium
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (lots of mysteries but only a little murder)
Unheard

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

100 points in 14 days which cost them 300 points to send. Woo?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

The entire Sherlock Holmes library is on sale. Crimes and Punishments and The Devil's Daughter are pretty good.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Outer Wilds is my second nomination for investigation games, after Obra Dinn.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Anyone have strong feelings about Spellforce III? I remember liking the original a long time ago, and this looks very pretty/seems decently well received.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Anno posted:

Anyone have strong feelings about Spellforce III? I remember liking the original a long time ago, and this looks very pretty/seems decently well received.
It doesn't offer the same character building flexibility as the earlier titles did. The three-ish picks you make at the start of the game pretty much hard what you will be limited to, instead being able to branch out into basically anything. However, everything else about the game is just smoother and better. The race choices are pretty limited (down to three) but since so much about having 12 different races or whatever felt dumb and redundant anyway, it's less of a loss than you'd expect.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Holy loving poo poo! In rear end Creed 1, if I want to exit the game to my desktop, I have to pause the matrix world game and first exit the animus, then exit the machine I’m hooked up to, then pause the game in the real world and select exit, then from the main menu I have to select my profile again, and only then can I exit to desktop?!

What the ever loving Christ?!!!! It’s like 7 layers of Inception just to quit!

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Cartoon Man posted:

Holy loving poo poo! In rear end Creed 1, if I want to exit the game to my desktop, I have to pause the matrix world game and first exit the animus, then exit the machine I’m hooked up to, then pause the game in the real world and select exit, then from the main menu I have to select my profile again, and only then can I exit to desktop?!

seems easier to just end task

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

This is why when I'm done playing a game I just yank the cord out of the wall.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cartoon Man posted:

Alt-F4.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

FreeKillB posted:

I played it without issue on an ancient integrated GPU (macbook pro with intel HD graphics 3000), it's a game that can run on fairly minimal gpus. Same for The Talos Principle, I think Croteam put in the work so that it'll run on a toaster if you use min settings.

Fair enough; I remember the Gehenna hub in Talos Principle really struggling on even a dedicated GPU, but that was many generations ago and I probably didn't really try the settings. Plus integrated graphics have obviously come a long way since its release.

FreeKillB posted:

e: Recursed and Stephen's Sausage Roll are my go-to recommendation for complex puzzle games beyond what has already been mentioned.

Yeah, I'd absolutely agree with Recursed for someone who enjoys the programming aspects of Zachtronics games. Gets pretty complex, too.

Stephen's Sausage Roll... it's a very good puzzle game. I would say it's one of the densest and most mechanically interesting puzzle games ever made, and Stephen Lavelle might be the most innovative and influential puzzle game designer currently active. I just don't like any of his games, because they never teach the player anything; they only ever test. But that's very much a taste thing, plenty of people love them.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Anno posted:

It's great, all Spellforce is great. Everyone should buy all the Spellforce games.

Spellforce 1 is still the winner for craziest video game plot, and the Spellforce 3 plot almost manages to match it. Not in it's craziness, but what they did without making any mention of it.

Seriously please someone ask me about the Spellforce 1/3 plots because they are incredible.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Definitely. I’m having fun with the game or I’d consider a refund. Though Altair is a mega dick.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah it's a bit uhhh yeah

if you reach a point where you start getting sick of the game just skip ahead to 2, the leap in quality is serious. and if for some reason you don't like that one, try brotherhood because it's another big leap and makes the combat a lot better.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Is Heavy Rain worth playing nowadays or should I just get Detroit? I watched a LP of Beyond Two Souls years ago and I'm not interested in that one. There's no continuity between the three, right?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Not gonna lie, me and my friends had fun playing through Heavy Rain when it first came out, solving mysteries together and voting on decisions, but Cage games are all fundamentally flawed even if some are entertaining, and Heavy Rain might not have aged well.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rookersh posted:

It's great, all Spellforce is great. Everyone should buy all the Spellforce games.

Spellforce 1 is still the winner for craziest video game plot, and the Spellforce 3 plot almost manages to match it. Not in it's craziness, but what they did without making any mention of it.

Seriously please someone ask me about the Spellforce 1/3 plots because they are incredible.

I am asking you about the Spellforce 1/3 plots.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

wait, how far back do the steam points go? because if it is only back to the 2020 lunar sale then I am coming to a worrying realization about my purchase habits

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they said its everything after the end of that sale i believe

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cartoon Man posted:

Definitely. I’m having fun with the game or I’d consider a refund. Though Altair is a mega dick.

You'd consider a refund because the exit button's inconvenient? I don't even remember the last time I used one.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Awesome! posted:

they said its everything after the end of that sale i believe

Oh god

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Chad Jihad posted:

wait, how far back do the steam points go? because if it is only back to the 2020 lunar sale then I am coming to a worrying realization about my purchase habits

You can view your points history from the point shop and it'll give you a detailed breakdown

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

How many points?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.
Thanks for the recs. Seems like piling on Sherlock Holmes games will be the solution for me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Octopath Traveler still full price, nice. Other than I got everything I wanted.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Hot drat, on top of a sale the 3rd (of 4) campaign add-on for Borderlands 3 dropped today. The first two were a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P3Rltxo8tQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay good news I CAN play Command and Conquer