Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_book_burnings

what the gently caress did they have against Felix Mendelssohn

He was Jewish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jewish and also hated by Wagner for ruining music by being an 'atonal Jew' and therefore incapable of higher art.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The famous “nazi book burning” photos are specifically them burning the library of the Institut für Sexualwissenschaft, setting back LGBTQ studies, and especially the T part of those studies, back decades.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institut_f%FCr_Sexualwissenschaft

None of these people actually disagree with Hitler anyway.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 25, 2020

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

It continues (black is me, red is original poster, blue is crazy fucker that likes all of his own posts).

I really hate “agree to disagree”

Then it goes into masks equal Nazis followed by a video about how Hollywood is secretly making us satanic (in it, a girl says that Beyoncé becomes a demon “Queen Bey” when she performs)

Then this fucker just starts going off on how essentially nothing is real and SNOWFLAKES!!!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Should just find a quote generator thing and make one of Trump saying All Cops Are Bad and send it to them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Invalid Validation posted:

Should just find a quote generator thing and make one of Trump saying All Cops Are Bad and send it to them.

*APAB

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Those kinds of people are the loving worst. They post some easy-to-debunk boomer image meme bullshit, get rightfully called out on it to the point where they actually admit the information they shared was illegitimate, and then proceed to tell you that all of your sources of information and education are wrong. And they're like 80% of Facebook's active users.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hm seems weird that the cops who callously murdered a guy on camera didn't try to save his life

E:
lol same guy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A 'police office' who can't tell the difference between police uniforms and Hennepin EMS uniforms.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Then it goes into masks equal Nazis followed by a video about how Hollywood is secretly making us satanic (in it, a girl says that Beyoncé becomes a demon “Queen Bey” when she performs)

i love poo poo like this 'if you exclude the deaths and the strokes and the permanent organ damage its just like the common cold, just ask me, a person with very little relevant expertise'

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

They're SO CLOSE to getting it! Nobody seems to understand that "expecting to get shot" should not be a thing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

10,000 deaths:
"the flu kills more people every year!"

100,000 deaths:
"actually it's just the common cold!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

jivjov posted:

They're SO CLOSE to getting it! Nobody seems to understand that "expecting to get shot" should not be a thing.

yeah it's great

"cops would never commit murder, Floyd must be secretly alive somewhere, but also you should expect cops to commit murder and act accordingly"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

VitalSigns posted:

Hm seems weird that the cops who callously murdered a guy on camera didn't try to save his life

This could be 100% true and the question would still be "ok, why do our hero cops not follow procedure when it's a black person in danger?"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This could be 100% true and the question would still be "ok, why do our hero cops not follow procedure when it's a black person in danger?"

because those weren't real cops, they were crisis actors!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i love poo poo like this 'if you exclude the deaths and the strokes and the permanent organ damage its just like the common cold, just ask me, a person with very little relevant expertise'

I believe if you look, you will see that she is actually a respiration therapist.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Yeah there's no shortage of people who claim to be medical workers but who also make some of the most wildly uninformed comments on COVID.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I had a "medical professional" tell me at the beginning of the outbreak that a mortality rate of 3.4% was tiny and forgettable, and besides the real killer is the flu. So I responded that if I let 3.4% of my patients die I'd lose my license so fast my head would spin off my neck like a top. Then I asked what possible kind of medical worker he could be, because at that rate, if covid-19 had as many cases as the flu we would see ~17 Hurricane Katrinas worth of deaths (this was early March). They immediately ignored me and pivoted to calling someone else a mealy-mouthed bitch and got blocked, but that's the general rear end in a top hat public for you.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 25, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I had a "medical professional" tell me at the beginning of the outbreak that a mortality rate of 3.4% was tiny and forgettable, and besides the real killer is the flu. So I responded that if I let 3.4% of my patients die I'd lose my license so fast my head would spin off my neck like a top. Then I asked what possible kind of medical worker he could be, because at that rate, if covid-19 had as many cases as the flu we would see ~17 Hurricane Katrinas worth of deaths (this was early March). They immediately ignored me and pivoted to calling someone else a mealy-mouthed bitch and got blocked, but that's the general rear end in a top hat public for you.

Someone did that to me for the 0.2% rate and said we needed herd immunity. I walked them through the calculations for how many dead that would mean and asked them for a citation on what they meant by herd immunity. They sent a screenshot of a google search - when I found the paper, I pointed out that it was talking about vaccines and that based on its R factor we'd need an immune populace of 80%; if they wanted to do that with regular exposure, that worked out to about 3 million dead Americans.

They kept trying to lean on their "medical experience" and as best I can tell they were a nurse or an orderly

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is there a term for when a person learns one slightly esoteric fact about a subject and uses it to justify massive idiocy, as people who invoke herd immunity to justify letting the plague run rampant?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
That'd be covered by the Dunning-Kruger Effect, I think.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

This is literally why I took the Facebook app off my phone.

I don't miss it. Actually, my stress level is way down.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Dr Christmas posted:

Is there a term for when a person learns one slightly esoteric fact about a subject and uses it to justify massive idiocy, as people who invoke herd immunity to justify letting the plague run rampant?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A conservative friend of mine on social media. I, and my other friends who know him, don't know what happened to this guy. He's always been pretty conservative but we thought he was pretty intelligent and thoughtful, even if we didn't agree with him on most things. I don't know whether it's shelter-in-place or something else going on but he seems to have taken a real nutty turn in the past few months.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A conservative friend of mine on social media. I, and my other friends who know him, don't know what happened to this guy. He's always been pretty conservative but we thought he was pretty intelligent and thoughtful, even if we didn't agree with him on most things. I don't know whether it's shelter-in-place or something else going on but he seems to have taken a real nutty turn in the past few months.

I've lost a few people to the crazy side over the last 4 years. Hey, I do agree with him that it's become politicized when it shouldn't have...but probably for other reasons.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just in case the forums self-destruct, this has probably been my favorite thread while here, and it's been a wild ride.

It's been great getting to know all of you, I've really enjoyed sharing the crazy stuff we got from our grandmas back when it was FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:TRUTH ABOUT THE CLINTONS, all the way through the years to it being the President of the US posting the exact same kinds of stuff on Twitter.

If things go south, I hope I see you guys on one of the Discord channels now and again.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just in case the forums self-destruct, this has probably been my favorite thread while here, and it's been a wild ride.

It's been great getting to know all of you, I've really enjoyed sharing the crazy stuff we got from our grandmas back when it was FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:TRUTH ABOUT THE CLINTONS, all the way through the years to it being the President of the US posting the exact same kinds of stuff on Twitter.

If things go south, I hope I see you guys on one of the Discord channels now and again.

Check the most recent announcement, Doc.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Check the most recent announcement, Doc.

One small detail in that announcement has me wondering if it's 100% legit, but hopefully things work out :)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
the goatse or the possibly radium-induced avatar?

Random Axis
Jul 19, 2005

the_steve posted:

I once had a supervisor who swore that the Civil War was never about slavery, even when shown literal historical documents where Civil War leaders say "Yes, this is about slavery. We are very clearly and unambiguously stating in no uncertain terms that we are seceding because we loving love slavery and want to continue owning people as property."

The best innocent-sounding follow up question is to ask "States' rights to do what exactly?" The Revolution wasn't about nebulous rights. It was about taxation without representation & later the grievances in the Declaration. Except oops when we go to the articles of secession slavery is all over the place.

Only pointing this out in case you're from Texas. That's the only place that has seceded from TWO countries in order to keep owning slaves.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Random Axis posted:

The best innocent-sounding follow up question is to ask "States' rights to do what exactly?" The Revolution wasn't about nebulous rights. It was about taxation without representation & later the grievances in the Declaration. Except oops when we go to the articles of secession slavery is all over the place.

Only pointing this out in case you're from Texas. That's the only place that has seceded from TWO countries in order to keep owning slaves.

I know we all know this, but they loved slavery so much they trampled on States' Rights to NOT have slavery with things like the Confederate Constitution (members MUST allow slavery) and before that the Fugitive Slave Law (you gotta let us come into your state and capture people we say are escaped slaves even if you've outlawed slavery yourselves)

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

I know we all know this, but they loved slavery so much they trampled on States' Rights to NOT have slavery with things like the Confederate Constitution (members MUST allow slavery) and before that the Fugitive Slave Law (you gotta let us come into your state and capture people we say are escaped slaves even if you've outlawed slavery yourselves)

Bit worse than that, not only MUST allow slavery, but also may never abolish slavery (neither partly nor wholly).

CSA Constitution: Article 1, Section 9, Item 4 posted:

No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.

Some people suggest slavery would've ended on its own if given enough time; they're morally and legally wrong.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Medullah posted:

I've lost a few people to the crazy side over the last 4 years. Hey, I do agree with him that it's become politicized when it shouldn't have...but probably for other reasons.

This particular friend is one of the last I would have expected this from, but this has been a 'masks off' kind of year.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Were there people during Watergate claiming that the Democrats broke into their own offices and also they placed the tapes in Nixon's office? This is what I would expect today if it happened.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

jjack229 posted:

Were there people during Watergate claiming that the Democrats broke into their own offices and also they placed the tapes in Nixon's office? This is what I would expect today if it happened.

This is what is happening now in terms of current problems - they claim the riots and looting are only happening in 'Democrat controlled' cities, same with institutional racism and poverty.

It's fun to press them for details to determine what exactly Republicans are doing to prevent riots and poverty in their own cities, since it gets conveniently vague. You'd think they could attribute legislation or social policies on their part but nope, it's apparently merely the act of being not Democrat that magically does it!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

jjack229 posted:

it was almost that ridiculous

at first Nixon offered to not turn over the tapes but instead to let the oldest deafest arch-segregationist Democratic senator, and only him personally, listen to the tapes and report on what was in them

after the Supreme Court ruled he had to turn them over, one of the tapes recorded a few days after Watergate had an 18 minute gap in it, his secretary claimed she accidentally hit the 'record' pedal with her foot while listening to the tapes and trying to answer the phone at the same time, in this incredibly natural position that anyone could contort their bodies into for 18 minutes by accident

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 26, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

really makes you think

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Ovid is not, of course, the Latin for sheep.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mean, neither does C mean that in the only ancient language in which it was part of the alphabet. Nor 19.

Man I wish I could go back in time and rewrite every academic paper I ever wrote to be sourced to just "an ancient society said this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

"Co" is the prefix meaning mutual, or together. "Vid" is shorthand for video. "19" is the amount of ounces of urine an adult can fit within their bladder before having to relieve oneself.

So, "together" in a "video" featuring a lot of piss.

THE PISS TAPE IS REAL!