Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Verman posted:

Saw that a while back. I would so much rather have a monkey than a grom.

:same: I'd never touch a grom but desperately want a numonkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My first second motorized vehicle was a Honda trail 70 which is why monkeys really appeal to me. I wish my dad never got rid of that thing. My uncle restored it from the ground up, powder coated everything, new decals and it was practically a brand new bike. I would kill to have that thing now.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'm trying to sell my SV650. What, if any, pics are good?

https://imgur.com/a/kuycOMN

v v v thanks!

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 19, 2020

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

pun pundit posted:

I'm trying to sell my SV650. What, if any, pics are good?

https://imgur.com/a/kuycOMN

1, 8, and I guess 13 to show the top box. Odo pic is a good one to include even if it’s not a good picture.

E: not the first pic, the one labeled “1”

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
When I look at bikes my good enough picture portfolio is:
Dead on from all 4 directions
Focus on tire/wheel/spokes both wheels
Odometer picture
Focus picture of any aftermarket part mentioned in the ad.
Focus picture of any defect mentioned in the ad.

Sure you can include tilt shift fancy angels of it as much you like, but atleast give me this.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 19, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Related topic, currently at the shop we have two (2) GL1500 goldwings, a Voyager XII, and a Venture Royale. All four of them have factory cassette decks and the Royale literally says "Royale" on it in cursive.

Mhmm. Mhmm. That’s what we in the industry call a “touch of class”

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That's the special edition EFI 1200? That is some baller rear end poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Didn't know this was a thing holy poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88eb0WQ8Sn8

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

No, doesn't look like it, but I encourage everyone to look up that special edition, it's amazing

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I want one of these real bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcS98U4aBF4

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Those look so fun.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've wanted an electric trials bike forever.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I would ride the poo poo out of one of those too. Some of them are sub 200 pounds and look like you could toss it in the back of a hatchback.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I've been eyeballing a Sur Ron for quite a while, I think dirt range would have to be 100 miles + before I seriously considered one

I'm thinking 2025

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i cant emphasize enough how tiring riding a trials bike as a woods bike was to me. was totally whipped, hats off to those dudes

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

i cant emphasize enough how tiring riding a trials bike as a woods bike was to me. was totally whipped, hats off to those dudes

Yeah, all I could think was "how are you doing that without sitting?" . I get that you are standing up most of the time on dirtbikes but sometimes you gotta take a load off.

I'd be super down with an ebike, as usual. An e-dirtbike even more so. That looks fantastic. But I also worry about being stuck in the middle of the woods with a dead battery and a paperweight. When I used to commute on escooters in the early 2000's, running out of juice a mile or two from home was normal. It sucked.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trials is like the ideal use case for electrics because none of the huge drawbacks matter - you don't need range, you don't need sustained speed, you don't need it to sound nice. All you need is immediate torque.

I wonder though: those guys rely on the engine flywheel effect to correct the bike's attitude midair, and for balance. IDK how that would work with an electric motor that doesn't turn when you aren't using it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Trials is like the ideal use case for electrics because none of the huge drawbacks matter - you don't need range, you don't need sustained speed, you don't need it to sound nice. All you need is immediate torque.

I wonder though: those guys rely on the engine flywheel effect to correct the bike's attitude midair, and for balance. IDK how that would work with an electric motor that doesn't turn when you aren't using it.

It's got a hydraulic clutch so I say spin that motor all loving day and use the clutch to hop rocks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Agreed, I remember seeing this video for the first time and thinking "holy poo poo, thats perfect".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKkgVhyZgD8

After watching this video, this made me possibly want a SunRon bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4FIpPGqGFg&t=425s

Slavvy posted:

Mountain bikers/bmxers do it all the time without the engine gyro effects. Your wheels have some effect but honestly its more about how you hit the jump and use your body to manipulate the bike in the air if needed. The weight of these things are so low (100lbs) compared to a moto that you can physically move it around in the air. The way this guy is jumping is basically the same as I would jump a bmx or mountain bike with lots of tweaking. You can brake/throttle to drop the front or rear in the air and if anything its easier to tap the rear brakes because you dont have to worry about stalling the engine.

I need to find a few thousand extra dollars.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

This guy has a few demo models in his shop in Hawaii.
He did a video looking at the clutch and flywheel on the race and the belt drive on the non-clutch models.
The flywheel is an option for the lower models.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROChgp1kb9g

The Su-rons look interesting but they'e pretty expensive here and from the videos I've watched most guys immediately dump a load of expensive DH mtb parts onto them.
That channel has a video of him out with a gang of them where he also takes the electric motion for a bath.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSRNZH1OoJ0

echomadman fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 23, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYXEQp5s0MU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

echomadman posted:

DH MTB parts

Since taking an interest in Sur Ron I've seriously considered buying the OEM chassis and other parts from AliExpress and assembling one myself, + - building the battery. You could then tailor what parts are on it from the get go..

But that's level 30 wizard talk

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

:psyboom:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Someone posted this on imgur.
"Found in the wild. Saddlebags are wooden, too" https://imgur.com/gallery/huBM41u

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm... intrigued by the exhaust

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I’m intrigued what they bashed that exhaust tip against

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I don't think there's a single part I'm not intrigued by.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

of course it's a jesus thing

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

of course it's a jesus thing

Well he was the son of a carpenter...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m the dent in the front rim

No wait I’m the wooden velocity stack

No wait I’m the hole saw exhaust

No wait I’m the exhaust that definitely doesn’t add any power, but curiously probably doesn’t lose any either.

Nope. I got it. I’m the leather lacing in the wooden velocity stack

E: oh poo poo I am definitely the right side kickstand

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm the wooden helmet

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Couldn't ride it though.

Wooden start.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

I'm the wooden helmet

I’m betting that’s a hydro dip

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I saw this the other day. I just noticed the tank appears to be held in place with a bungee and a belt.

There’s a ~900’ tall hill in the middle of the city. I found some goats up top, so I pushed my bike over and took this picture! Goats are very cute.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm guessing the wooden bike guy will soon die for his sins, so at least he has that. If he really wanted to impress me he would have done a wooden exhaust.

*edit*
This is way past my knowledge but I thought you typically want to minimize bends in your exhaust

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Couldn't ride it though.

Wooden start.
:golfclap:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

This is way past my knowledge but I thought you typically want to minimize bends in your exhaust
On a bike that gets ridden down the road, yeah. This thing is on/off trailer only

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm the Tail of the Dragon sticker on the helmet. I hope someone can find the Killboy photos of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m betting that’s a hydro dip

I mean, probably, but I'm not totally ruling out actual veneer.