Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ded posted:

does this mean no more PT tests since no one is allowed to exercise?

:lol: who am i kidding :lol:

Literally yes. They canceled the spring PFA and at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if fall cycle gets the axe as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I combed over the FRAGO and it feels like it's back to April rules for off base stuff but everyone still works and the train keeps moving forward (since the off-limits is a "shall" and telework/postponing major events is "encouraged.")

I can't wait to see how this goes over on joint bases where one side's people are able to do whatever and the Navy people are sitting around fuming.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

:chiefsay: That's it, fast cruise all-day-everyday. Also no slider Wednesday

Has to be happening somewhere right now. Just imagine getting ready for INSURV right now.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Literally yes. They canceled the spring PFA and at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if fall cycle gets the axe as well.

Air Force is doing the same thing for tests due during COVID. And in the Guard, we test every 12 months, regardless of score. So that means my unit that tested in June of 2019 won’t be due again until June 2021.

That’s going to be an absolute poo poo show.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So do military people actually follow orders to do covid precautions? Lots of civilians will literally shoot anyone who doesn't enable their plague denial.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

shovelbum posted:

So do military people actually follow orders to do covid precautions? Lots of civilians will literally shoot anyone who doesn't enable their plague denial.

Mostly. Contractors DGAF though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's been about 75% here. Mil and civ about the same.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Good luck getting Seabees to follow any loving guidance there in NCBC MS, CAPT Your Kid Still Enlisted

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

shovelbum posted:

I had my first covid drill weekend recently, and things seemed fairly normal here in SC, but this was before the big spike we’re dealing with now. The only place masks were required was in the small BX. every building had bottles of sanitizer some local distillery made by the entrances, but other than that, it seemed like people didn’t care. I’m just glad I escaped without catching anything.

Hopefully.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m on a ship with a crew of about 40. We have to wear a mask if we go to the pier to shop and we can’t leave base. However we don’t have to wear a mask on the ship thankfully.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m on a ship with a crew of about 40. We have to wear a mask if we go to the pier to shop and we can’t leave base. However we don’t have to wear a mask on the ship thankfully.

I mean, ideally you would wind up wearing a mask on the ship too because its in close quarters areas with limited airflow where it is most likely to spread. On the flipside, if someone in the crew gets it, all 40 of you will get it in short order, probably before the first person gets sick.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

Is this one of the ones where even the civmars are in cramped berthings?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

orange juche posted:

I mean, ideally you would wind up wearing a mask on the ship too because its in close quarters areas with limited airflow where it is most likely to spread. On the flipside, if someone in the crew gets it, all 40 of you will get it in short order, probably before the first person gets sick.

If it's anything like I expect they've probably been effectively confined to ship for months as it is. Long enough that even the dumbest koolaid drinkers start to put 2 and 2 together.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/status/1276270111905767426?s=20

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
he knows more about navy ship building than any other president in history

believe me!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ded posted:

he knows more about navy ship building than any other president in history

believe me!

I know this is a joke but lol at a modern president implying he knows more about it than either Roosevelt

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/US5thFleet/status/1276170967245565952?s=20

Air Det not wanting to wear coveralls

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

I can only imagine the amount of bitching about that COs need for a photo op.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Just laughing at how pissed those sailors have got to be. So glad I got out! Enlistment during Covid must really blow.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Lou Takki posted:

Just laughing at how pissed those sailors have got to be. So glad I got out! Enlistment during Covid must really blow.

I punched out after almost 14 years right before everything went to poo poo and that was the best decision ever

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
My squadron managed to rescue a pilot we had farmed out on TAD to the Ike a little while ago; I don't know how they managed it but it's possible they classified him as a piece of autopilot equipment to get around the restrictions on personnel transfers.

It does not sound like they're having a stellar time out there.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

160 days at sea with no major systems breaking? Actually kind of impressive.

Really hosed up for the crew tho. Everyone must be out of the extra stuff they brought with.

:chiefsay: think of all the qual time!

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

ded posted:

Really hosed up for the crew tho. Everyone must be out of the extra stuff they brought with.

Can't they just order poo poo on Amazon and have relatives mail that to tye FPO address? Don't they still get mail/package deliveries on surface ships?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MonkeyFit posted:

Can't they just order poo poo on Amazon and have relatives mail that to tye FPO address? Don't they still get mail/package deliveries on surface ships?

Yes and I will say (not surprisingly) I got mail quicker in Kabul than when I was shipboard. So many Bodybuilder dot com boxes in the hangerbay during mail call

Edit: Some naval history I don't recall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-OXc_ltf_M&t=205s

I was watching YT video instead of playing video games or doing anything useful and was like "why is his rating on the right side" and found my answer

"The Navy separated personnel between the executive branch, which was charged with operating ships, and the line branch, which was the corps branch. If in the corps branch, the petty officer would wear their insignia on the left sleeve, and if in the executive branch, the right sleeve."

That's your naval history minute

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 26, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MonkeyFit posted:

Oh heh. Actual mail call while at sea. How novel.

We never had that. :smith:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

In my time we wore white, then blue shirts under coveralls. Have we moved on to tan now?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

IncredibleIgloo posted:

In my time we wore white, then blue shirts under coveralls. Have we moved on to tan now?

got to wear whatever the gently caress poo poo we wanted under coveralls while at sea

most of a-gang of course wore nothing

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

How much fun is it to be 160 days underway, on a cruiser? Because due to that photo I am thinking about enlisting right the gently caress now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

shovelbum posted:

Is this one of the ones where even the civmars are in cramped berthings?

No they got state rooms. We have currently have 4-8 people per berthing area for the sailors.

We got a lot of empty room and have a bunch of containers with AC in the cargo deck we could stuff diseased people in.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yep, so we only have two different types of undershirts--white for service and tan for NWUs and Coveralls

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

No they got state rooms. We have currently have 4-8 people per berthing area for the sailors.

We got a lot of empty room and have a bunch of containers with AC in the cargo deck we could stuff diseased people in.

so i am curious

how often do you hear

sweepers sweepers man your brooms!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms! Give the ship a clean sweepdown fore and aft. Sweep down all decks, ladderwells, and passageways. Bring all trash to the trash compactor on the aft hangar bay, away sweepers.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

Sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms! Give the ship a clean sweepdown fore and aft. Sweep down all decks, ladderwells, and passageways. Bring all trash to the trash compactor on the aft hangar bay, away sweepers.

*5 minutes of whistling*

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

*5 minutes of whistling*

That bosun was really proud of his whistle

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I wonder how many years off your life 160 days straight of watch rotation sleep patterns takes.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I think we did 60 days straight or something like that and got a lovely beer day once. It was never that bad for us (FCs) because our spaces are pretty loving huge comparatively. On last cruise we had 5 guys in the shop and we literally all had our own little tv nooks in computer central.

Probably sucked for anyone without a giant space though, lmao.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
we did around 90 days or so on deployment in 2011 without a liberty port. we didn't get a beer day, though, because we were pierside in Saudi Arabia for a joint exercise planning conference and some gala hosted on the flight deck. We had no liberty and could not leave the ship except to run on a small section of the pier if we wanted. Effectively we just sat in the NAG for 3 months doing nothing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Effectively we just sat in the NAG for 3 months doing nothing.

#21stcenturycruise

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stultus Maximus posted:

#21stcenturycruise

Well, I mean just on that stretch. The bulk of the entire 8 months at sea was in the NAG. I think we had three stops in Bahrain and one in Abu Dhabi. On the trip from Hawaii to the gulf we hit up Guam, Thailand, and Malayasia. On the way back we stopped at Palau and Guam. Palau was loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Out at sea for the last 160 days? Oh boy do they have a surprise waiting for them when they get back to this hell world.