Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

No.1 Special posted:

Lurker here. I've lurked here since I was in college, finally buying an account around 2012, specifically because of this sub-forum. Even though I've fallen out of love with wrestling over the years, I still love coming here and watching wrestling gifs and seeing everyone's reactions. I hope things work out with this transfer of power and things improve for this site. Thanks for all the fun and I hope things stay fun for the foreseeable future.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Make Gavok mod but don't tell him

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Glad that it looks like I still get to post with you folks for now

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i didn't register to here because my best friend wanted to create his own somethingawful and he was very ambitious in a lot of ways but would abandon things rather quickly. but i was too young to realize that. the forum was called not applicable, or notapp for short. if our forum had taken off, it would have ended in 2007 when he passed away. So it's a good thing for all of you to have come here to the popular website back in 2000-2001 instead of an obscure one that no one could ever find out about unless they already came to a particular irc channel or certain other forum with a special interest.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!

I've just recieved a PM from the new Anonymous FIGHT ISLAND Moderator:

It just says "big yeehaw" :shrug:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've somehow been using Internet forums for half my life, and I think Jru is a real good mod. It'll be sad to see them go if it happens, but I'm happy also to have these forums themselves open for a bit longer.

As an aside, as someone who doesn't follow much forum politics, parts of this thread have been like sitting in the break room on your first day at a new job. It's pure surrealism, what you're hearing makes no sense to you but a part of you still can't help but wonder what it is that people are talking about.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Can someone put the belt on the pig

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

whoever the new mod is please don't be on underground cave in Siberia time zone like the other two tia!!!

(remember Eastern time is God's time, aka what the Real World uses)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
There's a reason the sun rises in the east, its because the east coast makes the days worth continuing

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i live on the east coast!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cavauro posted:

i didn't register to here because my best friend wanted to create his own somethingawful and he was very ambitious in a lot of ways but would abandon things rather quickly. but i was too young to realize that. the forum was called not applicable, or notapp for short. if our forum had taken off, it would have ended in 2007 when he passed away. So it's a good thing for all of you to have come here to the popular website back in 2000-2001 instead of an obscure one that no one could ever find out about unless they already came to a particular irc channel or certain other forum with a special interest.

Someone I met randoml.y on the internet told me that I would be a good fit for this place in like . . . 2002. But I was doing the same thing as your friend. I actually didn't post for like a year after registering, I started posting in the Raw threads when they were still in regular SAS.

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 26, 2020

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I hope the new mod is one of my friends so I can point them at the trolls and sycophants whenever they call me niennoob

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hang on. Lowtax is still the owner. Because "transferring all Something Awful LLC assets" and him not being "in charge" are nothing. It's literally where we already were.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

wouldn't one of the assets be the website/forum?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Hang on. Lowtax is still the owner. Because "transferring all Something Awful LLC assets" and him not being "in charge" are nothing. It's literally where we already were.

wrong

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nowhere in the announcement did they say he was selling it. Nowhere did they say he wouldn't profit from it.

Are we trusting in the goodness of the heart of the literal serial abuser now to just give up his source of income because it's the right thing to do?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jeffrey says in their announcement that nothing is signed but an agreement has been reached, and they'll try to answer questions tonight to make things a bit clearer. My assumption (and this is purely my assumption) is that Jeffrey is buying SA, and that Lowtax is basically done having anything but a historic connection to it once that is done. We'll know more when Jeffrey gives us more information, but I think it's been made pretty powerfully clear by basically everybody who uses these forums that they're not interested in an SA where Lowtax is still part of it in any way.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
Lowtax is transferring [ownership of] all SA LLC assets to Jeff, for a profit

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I own sa now

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Shawn Michaels will superkick Jeffery From **O* and sign his name under the contract and it will be a triple threat match between J of **O*, HBK and a problematic person we're going to do our best to forget.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Jeffrey has 30 million bitcoins he can buy reddit if he wants

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay, but why should any of us believe any of this?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Okay, but why should any of us believe any of this?

I should not make fun of you because honestly you could end up being right, but I think everyone wants to have hope and relief for a little while, if that makes sense.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Anyway I'll start with the easy ones. Any agreement I will sign will involve the complete and immediate divestment of Lowtax and, when it is executed in the immediate short term, he will not receive any sort of continuing revenue from something awful. It will be a complete transfer with no outstanding obligations to him, or it won't happen. I'm not making any random radical changes to suit my whims or yours, unless they're funny enough. This will remain the premiere source of internet comedy on the web and hell, I'll be here with you. I dutifully promise that I will never allow myself to become SA's absentee landlord, and if I find that one day I am no longer interested, I will make sure they end up in good hands. I will see to it that funds used to purchase things on SA are used to improve SA, or saved for a time of need. I recognize that I am in no way the owner of this community, merely its steward, and this transition depends on my good will with you all as much as anything. I'm going to be crazy overwhelmed with messages for....awhile and I'm sorry if I don't respond to something.

Thanks a shitload to all of the other admins, mods, and users who hung in there. This place is great because of you all and it has nothing to do with me, or Lowtax. This is by far the best website on the internet and it will continue to be. This poo poo was really scary and sad and I really hope we can move forward a stronger community for it.

Also I'm gonna remove the (non-goon) ads. gently caress ads. Thanks to everyone who bought no-ads, maybe I'll give you some sort of perk, probably not though!!!

Here's what Jeffrey has to say about the pending agreement, fwiw.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rick posted:

I should not make fun of you because honestly you could end up being right, but I think everyone wants to have hope and relief for a little while, if that makes sense.
I get it, but there's no transparency here. The company isn't public. The most likely move is PR. Pretend Lowtax is gone so he can keep making money.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Yea ok

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I felt like the Discord was a passable alternative but not everyone was going to join that and it would’ve been fundamentally different. I’m happy. We can post with friends until the heat death of the universe :unsmith:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hey, fuckers. I want to believe too. Don't accept this just to assuage your guilt. All of us, from admins down, don't know poo poo.

We believe that SA isn't profitable because a serial abuser said so.

We believed he needed money for medical procedures because he said so.

Are we really gonna' believe he'd do a good deed here for our benefit?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

NienNunb posted:

I own sa now

Hold on a second Jeffrey, the name on the contract does say "of YOSPOS"...

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
We're taking Jeffrey of YOSPOS at his word, not necessarily Lowtax's, at least that's what I'm doing.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Yeah no, I'm totally bracing for the possibility that dear richard renegs or tries to foist dumbass terms into the process or something. But we can't really know until it happens.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
according to the latest rumor, Jeffrey was about to sign the paper that would make him the owner of Something Awful, but a filthy Virginia opossum jumped out of a bush and leaped onto the paper, leaving a footprint. that Virginia opossum is now the legal owner of Something Awful, and a team has been sent to retrieve it from the forest.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

finally, the leader we deserve

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Hey, fuckers. I want to believe too. Don't accept this just to assuage your guilt. All of us, from admins down, don't know poo poo.

I'm with you, I'll believe it when I see it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Seth Rollins posted:

according to the latest rumor, Jeffrey was about to sign the paper that would make him the owner of Something Awful, but a filthy Virginia opossum jumped out of a bush and leaped onto the paper, leaving a footprint. that Virginia opossum is now the legal owner of Something Awful, and a team has been sent to retrieve it from the forest.

Update: it turns out the Virginia opossum is racist

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is the active thread in GBS where Jeffrey is currently answering questions directly.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

:agreed:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

There's a world of difference between cautious optimism and calling anyone who doesn't immediately spit on this news a sheep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Seth Rollins posted:

Jesus wep owns the site?