Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I wish this somehow fit into a title.

argh horrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dot_matrix
Nov 14, 2003

I feel it closing in,
Day in, day out,
Color me shocked

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dot_matrix
Nov 14, 2003

I feel it closing in,
Day in, day out,
Please purchase some mangosteen. It has benefits.

dot_matrix
Nov 14, 2003

I feel it closing in,
Day in, day out,
much thanks such grateful

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

dot_matrix posted:

much thanks such grateful

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Scholtz posted:

My boson is also named Borticle.

:kiss:

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkcFkTiSbDc

A Grand Egg has a new favorite as of 07:13 on Jun 26, 2020

Rhetoric-o-Tron
Jan 5, 2009

by Pragmatica

DustyNuts posted:

You can learn something about Guy by watching his Hot Ones episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRc1_CATfo

I think he is completely trapped by the character. He'd cut all the bleached, sunglasses poo poo out if it wouldn't hurt the people that work for him and his brands. Emeril is the same, he has this whole industry built under him that would collapse if he just walked away.

super late to this reply but i've worked with Guy since we were both pretty lucrative in what we did.

he's way beyond nice. Gordon can be really nice when it isn't his kitchen -- but Guy is just nice all the time.
imagine if you had a stoner friend that had their poo poo together, took a draw off a vape pen every now and again, and just really liked food / the people that make it / the process they use in making it. like, pure foodie. that's Guy. and yeah, off camera he's down to talk about a lot of poo poo that isn't just reactions to him tasting food from the ingredient buckets before they're added to a mix.

i'm super judgmental because i'm a callous prick at heart. Guy is one of the few rare jewels you'll run into that The Food Network didn't sentence to death like the guy doing Man v Food -- or Gordon whose anger ended up actually test marketing poorly enough for HD to look for more constructive ways for him to use his experience.

also regarding the sunglasses and tips: i hate to tell you this but if you have money or you have a endeared characteristic like being a 7' giant -- no one gives a poo poo what you look like. especially in his case, it works for him and he's ridden the branding for that to a chicken franchise where the chicken has a goatee.

watch me milkshake duck the gently caress out of myself but i actually had him sign that menu. he was laughing at "donkemole" for a few hours after.

anyhow thanks for coming to my tedtalk

if i'm going to post a novel i guess here's some half-hearted content

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
it makes me so happy to hear that Guy Fieri actually owns :allears:

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
I live near Guy Fieri in Northern California. During the wildfires he cooked at the shelters and for the firefighters, working long days like the rest of us. He also shows up to target a few weeks before Christmas, late at night with a big box truck and buys all the kids bikes to give away. The times I’ve met him at meals he’s done for first responders, he’s been very chill and friendly despite being obviously exhausted.

Rhetoric-o-Tron
Jan 5, 2009

by Pragmatica

Code Jockey posted:

it makes me so happy to hear that Guy Fieri actually owns :allears:

i shot over an email to see if he'd want to do a GwS AMA or something. that's probably a bad idea but whatever, we've been through a few bad ideas together.
to this day i can't overstate that Discovery doesn't know what an actual gem they have / they do and they're trying (for the first time) to not wear it out because he's got a ton of mileage left on him and his sister (2010) and best friend died.

like i said. i'm told i'm a good person but at heart i am caustic.
Guy is alright. everyone has issues but his issues aren't slapping the interns' asses. or demanding poo poo. or flipping poo poo because things aren't going right. or -- i could probably make this a 3k "or ..." reply but this is a meme thread. i'm a pretty rigid judge of character because i spend a lot of time practicing on myself.

in terms of people i've worked with -- and they don't have some (not uncommon) issue with power/women/power-and-women -- he's a good man.
and it's rare i'll call someone a good man.

Rhetoric-o-Tron
Jan 5, 2009

by Pragmatica

Rhetoric-o-Tron posted:

i shot over an email to see if he'd want to do a GwS AMA or something.

but Discovery is also a shitshow right now and i'm on a board of folks saying we're about to go into the Ice loving Cool Zone so we need to --- nm. i'll save it for another thread or like, write a book about it. this ain't the place and thank you for humoring me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s ok, I’m up at 4am reading the forums because I had a dream about what a lovely rear end person I am and I’m never getting back to sleep, but these posts (and the forum situation in general) are reminding me that the bar for being a good person in a position of power is really not unreasonably high. This might actually do the trick

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

You're alright dude, as is Guy.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Rhetoric-o-Tron, when you say Gordon, are you talking Gordon Ramsay?

To this day I've never understood how anyone in the states could watch him. His whole shtick is like the antithesis of (what I think of) as American, so it's interesting to hear he did actually come across poorly over there

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Amphigory posted:

Rhetoric-o-Tron, when you say Gordon, are you talking Gordon Ramsay?

To this day I've never understood how anyone in the states could watch him. His whole shtick is like the antithesis of (what I think of) as American, so it's interesting to hear he did actually come across poorly over there

The US version of Kitchen Nightmares is famously edited to cut out as much footage as possible of everything but him yelling at people. They love the angry man.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

oldpainless posted:

I’ve considered all aspects of this case and after careful deliberation I’ve decided everyone who finishes reading this sentence is my friend

more like old painless :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is untrue.

The Something Awful comedy fora were founded by Hatsune Miku on 11 September 2001.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
You'd think she'd be too busy creating Minecraft, and we'd get a lesser Vocaloid, like Margerine Luca or whatever her name is.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

What can we say, shes a prolific polymath. Minecraft, the SA forums, Harry Potter, a bunch of the writing in Fallout New Vegas and Planescape: Torment, that comedy routine about how white folks are afraid of getting treated like they've treated minorities, the list goes on and on. Shes just created so much of our pop culture.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/mikumiku_ebooks/status/1269403406088708101

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Guy Fieri is likeable, apparently :shobon:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He's also obviously a Pokemon Gym Leader

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Whenever you see Gordon Ramsay with kids or amateurs who actually want to listen to his advice he's patient as gently caress

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Splendid posted:

Whenever you see Gordon Ramsay with kids or amateurs who actually want to listen to his advice he's patient as gently caress

Most of the time he blows up on someone it's because their head is up their rear end and they think they're hot poo poo or think they're too good for menial tasks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The US version of Kitchen Nightmares is famously edited to cut out as much footage as possible of everything but him yelling at people. They love the angry man.

Yeah, I was gonna say. In the British version as often as not he was calmly giving business advice to people who were in over their heads, but in the American version every single episode was him screaming at idiot petty tyrants who believe themselves to be geniuses and don't understand about cleaning out the fridge. I guess it's what we want/understand

It sure seems to be of a pattern with, like, when Whose Line Is It Anyway was brought over. In the UK it had games like LITERARY STYLES. Can you even imagine an American audience trying to engage with comedians doing James Joyce and Agatha Christie impressions

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Last night I watched my roommate give a toddler-level lecture about why the Civil Rights Act was passed and that Segregation was a Not Good Thing to her fuckbuddy-- a 35 year-old homeowner. "People raised by the 'mammies' did not like the way their mammies were being treated."

No I can't imagine the US parsing "literary styles." I can't picture them parsing "Sitcom styles."

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Gordon Ramsay is hands-down my wife’s favorite celebrity so I was very pleased when he was friendly about signing and shipping a cookbook for her as a birthday gift this year during lockdown. It’s her favorite gift ever and she has cooked some bomb-rear end recipes out of it.

What I want to know is if Jeffrey of yospos is a good guy because like 90% of things mentioned on this website, I’m completely in the dark about the fella

Also here’s a meme

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Data Graham posted:

It sure seems to be of a pattern with, like, when Whose Line Is It Anyway was brought over. In the UK it had games like LITERARY STYLES. Can you even imagine an American audience trying to engage with comedians doing James Joyce and Agatha Christie impressions

I don’t know if it was just the later seasons, as I don’t remember the earlier ones as well, but I always recall it being “Film, TV, and Theater Styles” on both the UK version that got syndicated in America, and both the old and new US versions.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He's also obviously a Pokemon Gym Leader

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fietti strikes me as the kind-of dude who got way way nicer after he made his money and never had to hustle the way normal people have to hustle again. I remember coming up a lot of the hate was basically from a place of "Who the gently caress is this radioactive goblin-man hawking nacho cheese at me?"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Does anyone know if Alton Brown is an rear end in a top hat irl? I’ve kind of always suspected it but I’m perfectly happy to just assume he’s good Bill Nye off the set.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Kitchen Nightmares UK is probably my favourite Ramsay show just because of how decent of a human he is. Like, he knows his poo poo, and he's not gonna tolerate your nonsense, but also he's not gonna go abusively off the handle at the drop of a hat.

US-produced Ramsay shows are kinda fun but you can only see him yell at people so many times before it gets trite.

content:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I know a guy who was a production assistant for Hell's Kitchen...he said that Ramsey is super nice irl.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

freeedr posted:

What I want to know is if Jeffrey of yospos is a good guy because like 90% of things mentioned on this website, I’m completely in the dark about the fella

He's not good at street fighter

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Magnificent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

My favorite ramsay thing was when he cooked Thai curry for a professional Thai chef and tried so, so hard to get it right, and the Thai chef was just like "well, it's OK, you tried your best"

He looked so crestfallen, and I liked that moment not because I enjoy him failing but because you could see that he actually cares deeply about cooking good stuff, and that's respectable.