Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Roth I love your avatar and it reminds me I need to watch Sailor Moon, I downloaded all of it ages ago but never got around to it. I haven't seen it since the dub got aired on TV in the late 90s.

That said, how is the Sailor Moon RPG (Another Story) on SNES? Worth a shot? How does it fit in with the show's canon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Code Jockey posted:

That said, how is the Sailor Moon RPG (Another Story) on SNES? Worth a shot? How does it fit in with the show's canon?

It's really not good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh

Oh no

Code Jockey posted:

Roth I love your avatar and it reminds me I need to watch Sailor Moon, I downloaded all of it ages ago but never got around to it. I haven't seen it since the dub got aired on TV in the late 90s.

It's a fun show, though I'd recommend not bingeing it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lol okay, thank you, I will read this instead. I haven't read a good SSLP in ages

Roth posted:

It's a fun show, though I'd recommend not bingeing it.

noted

I used to tape the episodes off TV, and I swear I had like 30 tapes of it filling up a cabinet in my parents' house. My dad must've been so pissed that I kept asking for tapes and taping over his sci-fi movies and westerns with this dumb cartoon with schoolgirls in it, but he never said a word

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Stan Taylor posted:

What kind of price is a good deal on a vita? Seeing them listed around $200 but I’expected them to be cheaper? I know I want the oled screen, which I think is both model numbers 1000 and 1100.

I think OLED screen keeps the price high on those. 2000+ models should be a little cheaper with the LCD and normal USB port Sub-$100 probably. Also, you'll probably have better luck buying one for a reasonable price locally than on Ebay or something.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I'm kinda amazed they never did a Musou style game for Sailor Moon, it would be a pretty decent for it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My dream is for ArkSys to make a new fighting game for Sailor Moon.

Though I guess "X anime as an ArkSys fighter" is just something everyone requests now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'm kinda amazed they never did a Musou style game for Sailor Moon, it would be a pretty decent for it

A magical girl crossover musou would own extremely hard. Let the scouts, Precures and Symphogears work together.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

kirbysuperstar posted:

A magical girl crossover musou would own extremely hard. Let the scouts, Precures and Symphogears work together.

I have a buddy who has been trying to design a totally-not-bootleg Super Robot Wars but for magical girls and I hope she someday puts all of the pieces together in a public form.

Also I still have no goddamn idea how it is that Sailor Moon, one of the biggest properties worldwide in the 90s, stopped getting any non-mobile game representation at the DS... and the lone DS game only came out in Italy. Ignoring that, we drop back to the 32-bit era! And the majority of them were fighting games!

edit: I started rereading that old LP of mine because of the link and wow I swore too much in my writing when I drank

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 26, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

END ME SCOOB posted:

Also I still have no goddamn idea how it is that Sailor Moon, one of the biggest properties worldwide in the 90s, stopped getting any non-mobile game representation at the DS... and the lone DS game only came out in Italy. Ignoring that, we drop back to the 32-bit era! And the majority of them were fighting games!

I think no one near the franchise has thought up of any gaming concept that will work, mobile or console-wise. I mean, give it to Platinum, ArcSys (they also do VNs!) or, hell, Suda51.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

I have a buddy who has been trying to design a totally-not-bootleg Super Robot Wars but for magical girls and I hope she someday puts all of the pieces together in a public form.

Super interested if it ever gets there.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Sailor Moon: Another Story did get an updated fan translation last year that tidied up the translation and fixed some bugs, but I can't say if the actual game quality is any good overall. I only played half of the original translation before losing my save or something, I remember it being a bit grindy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

That would be fun, they'd need to stick some really out there choices in along with the more standard stuff, like I want to see people just have their brain melt at say Jungle De Ikou getting in

END ME SCOOB posted:

edit: I started rereading that old LP of mine because of the link and wow I swore too much in my writing when I drank

Definitely intrigued about this one

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

2reachmu posted:

I think OLED screen keeps the price high on those. 2000+ models should be a little cheaper with the LCD and normal USB port Sub-$100 probably. Also, you'll probably have better luck buying one for a reasonable price locally than on Ebay or something.

I found this listing and pulled the trigger. Nothing jumped out at me as to why it would work for me and a bunch of local people seem to have lost their charging cables. None were cheaper than this and none had the model number listed.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Roth posted:

My dream is for ArkSys to make a new fighting game for Sailor Moon.

Though I guess "X anime as an ArkSys fighter" is just something everyone requests now.

I’d love another Sailor Moon fighting as horrifically and hilariously unbalanced as Sailor Moon S: Jougai Rantou Shuyaku Soudatsusen was/is.

KariOhki posted:

Sailor Moon: Another Story did get an updated fan translation last year that tidied up the translation and fixed some bugs, but I can't say if the actual game quality is any good overall. I only played half of the original translation before losing my save or something, I remember it being a bit grindy.

Note that the retranslation also includes an optional anti-grinding patch the halves the encounter rate for random encounters but doubles the XP rate for each one.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you're remotely interested the anti-grind patch is a must if you decide to play on an SNES classic.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Saoshyant posted:

I think no one near the franchise has thought up of any gaming concept that will work, mobile or console-wise. I mean, give it to Platinum, ArcSys (they also do VNs!) or, hell, Suda51.

Suda does Sailor Moon would be... interesting, but I don't think it would be something a fan of the series wants.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm a little bitter about Sailor Moon because, it replaced Ronin Warriors on the TV channel on which I watched the latter. I loving loved Ronin Warriors. I'd probably appreciate SM more now, I think.

The Sailor Moon arcade beat-em-up is interesting in that it's not completely terrible and it was one of only three arcade games developed by Gazelle, who were former Toaplan employees. The other noteworthy game they made was Air Gallet, which has hilariously bad American voice acting, absolutely gorgeous pixel art backgrounds by Junya Inoue, and quite arguably the last game of it's type (pre-danmaku, non-manic shmup). Gazelle also did the console ports of Batsugun, Kyukyoku Tiger 2, and Toaplan Shooting Battle I (Tiger Heli/Twin Cobra for PS1).

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
apparently the wii is getting a new game this year. https://nintendoeverything.com/shakedown-hawaii-coming-to-wii-and-wii-u/

anyone know if its any good?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

apparently the wii is getting a new game this year. https://nintendoeverything.com/shakedown-hawaii-coming-to-wii-and-wii-u/

anyone know if its any good?

It’s a sequel to Retro City Rampage so if you liked that you’ll probably like this, it’s on Switch and PS4 too

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Thanks to Covid Chinese shipping is so incredibly broken at the moment. I ordered a Chinese Everdrive N8 clone from an aliexpress seller in China on April 28th, a wii pro controller from Wish (China again) on April 20th and last week I ordered one super yellowed Japanese Saturn from an ebay seller in Japan on June 18th. They all showed up today. It had been so long that I actually forgot I'd even ordered the Wii controller. Maybe this will teach me not to order crap that's probably going to turn my NES into a fire hazard.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm feeling you. My copy of Holy Diver I ordered from a German eBay seller in May and my Play Asia order from April are finally in the States. Don't know which state though. Will I be waiting another month? Who knows!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm feeling you. My copy of Holy Diver I ordered from a German eBay seller in May and my Play Asia order from April are finally in the States. Don't know which state though. Will I be waiting another month? Who knows!

My Play Asia order has been in the States since the 9th, still no sign of where it is after that though :ohdear:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Some Goon posted:

Suda does Sailor Moon would be... interesting, but I don't think it would be something a fan of the series wants.

I mean Sailor Moon is already a pretty weird series when you get down to it, so a Suda written game for it wouldn't be as out of place as you're thinking

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Domestic shipping has slowed significantly for me too. In the last three months I've ordered a lot of stuff just to keep me busy/keep me from going crazy while on furlough and that Saturn got from Japan to where I live in NY quicker than most things I've ordered from Oregon.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm glad that sailor moon LP exists because when I tried playing it way back in the day, I got stuck on the boss of Mercury's solo stage, underlevelled and unable to find any more enemies to fight before the boss---just slowly chipping away at the boss and realizing the mathematics of not having enough MP to actually win the fight (but enough to make the fight last approximately forever)

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Not sure if this is the right thread for this or not. Just got me a PS3 again to play some of my older digital purchases. I want to get another controller, but if the internet is to be believed there's a proliferation of fakes out there. Any tips on finding a legit DualShock 3?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

dog nougat posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this or not. Just got me a PS3 again to play some of my older digital purchases. I want to get another controller, but if the internet is to be believed there's a proliferation of fakes out there. Any tips on finding a legit DualShock 3?

eBay and have fun finding used ones that don’t have garbage sticks.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Djarum posted:

eBay and have fun finding used ones that don’t have garbage sticks.

Gotcha. Would kinda like a new one, but they're kinda pricey. Looking around, found a couple things to look for with regards to packaging on fakes. Still nervous about dropping $50+ on a potentially fake controller. I imagine the dumb camo controllers prob are real, but they seem the most likely to be worn out used.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Can't you use a PS4 controller on PS3 these days?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

drrockso20 posted:

I mean Sailor Moon is already a pretty weird series when you get down to it, so a Suda written game for it wouldn't be as out of place as you're thinking

I've actually never seen a lick of Sailor Moon, and now I'm both curious and horrified.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Some Goon posted:

I've actually never seen a lick of Sailor Moon, and now I'm both curious and horrified.

The second arc involves criminals from the future under the tutelage of a man named Death Phantom who, after roughly a millenium of peace, reinvented murder. His punishment from the immortal god-queen of the universe was to be sealed inside a barren planet.

He's still in the planet when he seeks revenge.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Sorta. Some games are fine, some games don't like the triggers or sticks, some don't like it at all and I don't think the Home button does anything.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't have the analog face buttons. I plan on playing through the Metal Gear Solid series and I'm not sure how it'll behave with them. Apparently rumble doesn't work with the dualshock 4 on a PS3.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i honestly keep forgetting the ps3 still had the analog face buttons

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I need a specific revision of the Wii for the WiiDual but I'm struggling with how to buy one off of ebay or similar without being able to pop it open. I'm also unsure if most sellers would deign to do that upon request.

Per this page, you can see a code if you unscrew a small panel in the back which will then tell you which revision of the console it is.

The revisions that work with the WiiDual are:

RVL-CPU-40
RVL-CPU-50
RVL-CPU-60
RVK-CPU-01 (No Gamecube Ports)
RVK-CPU-02 (No Gamecube Ports)

I'm mostly curious about the RVK models since it would seem to be an easy way to narrow down which consoles will work with the mod. Besides lacking GC ports, is there anything else those models had stripped from them?

EDIT: If you search ebay for the specific RVL-CPU-## code, you get a shitload of working replacement Wii motherboards at decent prices. Is it a dumb idea to just buy a board and swap it into a Wii I already have?

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 27, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Some Goon posted:

It's all* on Hulu so if you have that you can hop right in(both subbed and with a new dub they made a couple years ago)

*well minus the movies

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I need a specific revision of the Wii for the WiiDual but I'm struggling with how to buy one off of ebay or similar without being able to pop it open. I'm also unsure if most sellers would deign to do that upon request.

Per this page, you can see a code if you unscrew a small panel in the back which will then tell you which revision of the console it is.

The revisions that work with the WiiDual are:

RVL-CPU-40
RVL-CPU-50
RVL-CPU-60
RVK-CPU-01 (No Gamecube Ports)
RVK-CPU-02 (No Gamecube Ports)

I'm mostly curious about the RVK models since it would seem to be an easy way to narrow down which consoles will work with the mod. Besides lacking GC ports, is there anything else those models had stripped from them?

EDIT: If you search ebay for the specific RVL-CPU-## code, you get a shitload of working replacement Wii motherboards at decent prices. Is it a dumb idea to just buy a board and swap it into a Wii I already have?

I think those might be those really crappy budget versions they released towards the end of the Wii's life that also didn't have online capabilities and are overall supposed to just be bad compared to the earlier versions

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Corporate Sonic the Hedgehog still sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I mentioned to my supervisor that I feel like all I do is sort people's trash. She sarcastically said, "I don't call it trash. I like to call it revenue."