Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Xander77 posted:

It's been a while since I played through PS:T, and I don't really remember the specifics when people talk about abandoning their evil playthroughs.

But I had to play as a pure rear end in a top hat for guide writing purposes, and there's one specific moment where Volition calls you out that hit me hard.
Going for the good outcome with Durkon actually makes me feel bad, so I can understand evil actions making people even more uncomfortable. .Just recalling memories when you snap necks was major deterrent for going down that road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fister Roboto posted:

He also has a functional SPINAL CORD.

ftfy

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DrDraxium posted:

Looks like we're seeing the origin story of Harry Dubois, aka Rich Kyanka.

How dare you compare my lovable but broken rockstar Harry with that piece of poo poo. Harry’s a Saint.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Fister Roboto posted:

As far as we know, Harry was not a domestic abuser.

He also has a functional spine.

Someone didn't play a Sorry Cop

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

ThaumPenguin posted:

It's based on Soviet anti-radiation drugs

So if you can dig up any info on what those were like, you'd probably know

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%90%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%BE%D1%84%D0%B5%D0%BD

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Fister Roboto posted:

As far as we know, Harry was not a domestic abuser.

He also has a functional spine.

As much as I don't want to expand on my tasteless joke (and agree wholeheartedly with the second part of your post), it's never quite clear why his wife left him so who knows?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Sure it is, he got sad and hosed up by his job and the relationship broke down. Multiple times in fact.

You have a ton of moments of clarity throughout all over the place, saying how it was both your faults, and also kind of no-one's fault, and that ultimately the thing that fucks him up is that they were in love and it didn't work. The end, no great tragedy or mystery to it. It just didn't work out. And he can. Not. Make that fit in his head. And it's killing him.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

She wasn't even his wife.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

harry did do this according to sorry cop

You held a young woman by the arm and kept her in your apartment for 20 minutes against her will.

i guess at least he didn't beat his significant other buts its still p. hosed up, but not irredeemably so.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

DrDraxium posted:

As much as I don't want to expand on my tasteless joke (and agree wholeheartedly with the second part of your post), it's never quite clear why his wife left him so who knows?

i mean, he is a cop, it's a 40/60

i don't think the text supports it, tho, you'd think it would come up

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Peanut Butler posted:

i mean, he is a cop, it's a 40/60

i don't think the text supports it, tho, you'd think it would come up

I feel like a Sorry Cop for even suggesting it tbh.

I change my position and suggest current day Dan Harmon as my pick for IRL Harry Dubois casting choice.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Roobanguy posted:

harry did do this according to sorry cop

You held a young woman by the arm and kept her in your apartment for 20 minutes against her will.

i guess at least he didn't beat his significant other buts its still p. hosed up, but not irredeemably so.

When I saw this my thoughts were "he held someone so he could go through all their dialogue trees and try to get quests." Not sure if that's true though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he wouldn't be sorry about that

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
He’s a human can opener!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DrDraxium posted:

I change my position and suggest current day Dan Harmon as my pick for IRL Harry Dubois casting choice.

We said that Harry was ultimately redeemable, try again.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It is interesting how many gameplay conveniences (running constantly, constant questioning, ect.) Are very smoothly contextualized within the narrative of the game. Even the U.I design being a list of options for conversations is called out in a manner that feels like it speaks to the character of HDB.

It's the kind of thing that usually wouldn't land as well in other games, and I wonder how the sequel will deal with following a similar design with a different character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The loading screen hint does flat out say 'You are an authority figure, you can get away with poo poo'.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

When I saw this my thoughts were "he held someone so he could go through all their dialogue trees and try to get quests." Not sure if that's true though.

I got the impression it was a reference to Dora leaving. That it's part of the inspiration for the island dream sequence.

Seems the only thing worth specifically calling out for Sorry Cop. Also in the dream sequence you kiss her unwillingly and the description is vicious enough that I believe it might be based on a memory too.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

JustaDamnFool posted:

It is interesting how many gameplay conveniences (running constantly, constant questioning, ect.) Are very smoothly contextualized within the narrative of the game. Even the U.I design being a list of options for conversations is called out in a manner that feels like it speaks to the character of HDB.

It's the kind of thing that usually wouldn't land as well in other games, and I wonder how the sequel will deal with following a similar design with a different character.

Also the UI itself is based on the FELD tape computer, occasionally you even see the brand name

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

DrDraxium posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nicholas Cage, he has precedent.

Apparently the Ancient Reptilian Brain is what Harry sounds like?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

That's pretty good. But I'll reiterate Vincent Cassel in Black Tide.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 26, 2020

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Wait, what? This is a thing? A confirmed thing?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
No. the devs have indicated they'd like to work on one and have floated ideas such as "you're a pregnant woman" but nothing has been confirmed.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ah well.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

a small moment in the game that was the third or fourth most emotional for me was calling a number that turns out to be the apricot-scented one in the middle of the night. I think it'd be very easy to miss.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Doc Hawkins posted:

a small moment in the game that was the third or fourth most emotional for me was calling a number that turns out to be the apricot-scented one in the middle of the night. I think it'd be very easy to miss.

I missed that my first time through and was shocked to learn about it. Definitely did it the second time through.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
‘Disco Elysium’ TV Series Adaptation in the Works From ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Producer (EXCLUSIVE)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably good news for ZA/UM financially at least. Bring on the trainwreck though

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

can't wait for the action packed fight scenes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lest I remind you that Sonic the Hedgehog was the last box office hit in the world

I personally cant wait to see why type of cop harry is going to be in the series and how they treat his skills. Will each have their own voice?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it'd make great prestige television.

i want to watch an entire episode that's mostly just the conversation with the deserter.

e: gently caress, just show me a film test of a good actor saying they realized that the bourgeoisie are not human

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 26, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

[ Conceptualization - Heroic: Failure ]

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cold Case Files, starring Big the Cat

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

I can't tell if that's Germaine Clement or Benicio Del Toro

although searching for pictures of the former yielded this

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Mulva posted:

Sure it is, he got sad and hosed up by his job and the relationship broke down. Multiple times in fact.

You have a ton of moments of clarity throughout all over the place, saying how it was both your faults, and also kind of no-one's fault, and that ultimately the thing that fucks him up is that they were in love and it didn't work. The end, no great tragedy or mystery to it. It just didn't work out. And he can. Not. Make that fit in his head. And it's killing him.

I feel like I got most of this, although it had slightly more of a slant toward him being a total mess and alienating her. I felt like if they were once very much in love, she heavily downplayed it and made it seem like she didn't feel the same way he felt. In general I played a high volition/empathy/logic sorrycop with a big ol' weakness for diving headlong into the pain of this particular relationship and wanting it back, so I'm curious if there were still any subtleties I wasn't exposed to on my playthrough.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Someone make a mod that replaces Cuno with Sonic

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"i think i'm already hooking for Sonic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k