Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Trickyblackjack posted:

I wish Amid Evil had a demo. I think I would like it, but I think also maybe it's just too fast for me, an old. How does it compare to Doom2016, which I played and dug (normal difficulty was a challenge though)

If you can beat Quake 1 on Normal then you can beat Amid Evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I thought I'd gift everything I have left as the forums burned, but now... I guess I'll gift people in celebration?

Anyways. Add me:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77

Tell me your favorite genre(s).

Receive a gift.

Ride the gift train \ write a short impression of the game in whatever thread.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Trickyblackjack posted:

I wish Amid Evil had a demo. I think I would like it, but I think also maybe it's just too fast for me, an old. How does it compare to Doom2016, which I played and dug (normal difficulty was a challenge though)

Just give it a go for an hour and you can be refunded by the end of the day if you so wish.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Trickyblackjack posted:

AE on Hard is about equivalent to Normal Doom imo

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
How is Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr now after a bunch of updates? The always have to be online is kind of worrying and I heard the launch was pretty bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BexGu posted:

How is Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr now after a bunch of updates? The always have to be online is kind of worrying and I heard the launch was pretty bad.

Games like that always make me wary because in 3-5 years are they going to patch out the server auth or just abandon the game and everyone is stuck with an unplayable game because a dev company cared too much about data collection?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Anyone else got all the games they want? Even though I have 305 titles on my 'wishlist', I don't think I'm going to buy a single one this sale.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

BexGu posted:

In one sense i had fun playing it but on another something about the pacing makes me all sleepy. It's not a bad game but I was never too excited to play it. If you like WH40k any (as opposed to being indifferent to it) you might get a lot more out of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ambaire posted:

Anyone else got all the games they want? Even though I have 305 titles on my 'wishlist', I don't think I'm going to buy a single one this sale.

I'm actually at a weird point where I still have 600+ items on my wishlist and there's stuff in my top ten that I want, but.... I don't want to spring for them. I want them if the gift train wants me to have them, but I've done all the putting stuff into my cart I want this sale. Feels weird, but like, I'm too busy playing games to care.

*I might make a few exceptions by the end of the sale because I really wanna play Magic 2014 and World of Horror and Alder's Blood and such. We'll see.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Trickyblackjack posted:

In terms of normal difficulty, it's definitely easier than Doom 2016. It's also a fair bit shorter too.

It might be "faster" than Doom, but it's certainly not as frantic because on the default difficulty things don't do too much damage. You can be attritioned down, but there will rarely be a situation where you took like 4 big hits and died.

I say just buy it and see how you feel about an hour in. If you're not digging it, refund it.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I had one demo from that recent demo event that had a time limit on the library entry like free weekend games usually do, so I assumed the rest of them would stick around afterwards. I get the idea but I also have already forgotten the names of all 6-8 games I uninstalled, and they're not on my wishlist, so rip.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

amid evil rocks beans, get it

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Trickyblackjack posted:

Amid Evil is like Heretic pretty much.

It's more old-school as DO4M but with all the nice things of modern gaming.

If you are good with the art style and enjoy FPS that aren't military shooters, go buy it. It's one of the best recent shooters with marvelous levels and cool weapons.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

amid evil rocks beans, get it
:yeah:
Easily my GOTY 2019.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I hope one day I will have every single skull emote on steam

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Digging through my list I'm seeing Metro Exodus, and I remember I own but have never played Metro 2033 and Last Light.

Metro 2033 is the one where the easier modes are actually worse because the enemies do way less damage but also you do less damage to them so it becomes a tedious crawl? I think someone said Ranger mode is the best because the player and enemies take way more damage but in a sneaking stealth game that's what you want.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Thanks for the input on Amid Evil y'all! Gonna launch me some planets at cthulus.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

pentyne posted:

Digging through my list I'm seeing Metro Exodus, and I remember I own but have never played Metro 2033 and Last Light.

Metro 2033 is the one where the easier modes are actually worse because the enemies do way less damage but also you do less damage to them so it becomes a tedious crawl? I think someone said Ranger mode is the best because the player and enemies take way more damage but in a sneaking stealth game that's what you want.

Do you have 2033 Redux or the original version? If you have OG 2033 then yeah, I think the recommended was Ranger Easy (ranger hardcore is the same difficulty only you got no HUD which is immersive but has some weird issues).

For Last Light (non-redux) just play it on Normal, they balanced the game around that.

If you have the Redux versions, just go on Normal; Survival for 2033 and Spartan for LL, which is what they were balanced around respectively.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

pentyne posted:

I know that people say that, but I also know people said that about STALKER, and that turned out to be outright false (STALKER had a different issue, where enemy flinching animations have invulnerability frames).

But yeah, you might as well play on Ranger difficulty regardless, it's pretty good.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 26, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

As an fps bad I found both Amid Evil and Dusk very approachable. And amazingly fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Things I expected from Outer Wilds: not what I experienced, whoa. I went to a cute little alien/spaceflight museum and saw a cool fish and I think I'm gonna like this game a lot!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

BexGu posted:

Honestly I can't really recommend it unless you're into 40k. Some of the mission generation systems are interesting and innovative for the ARPG genre, and there's some neat options for building a character, but the gameplay itself is a bit janky and the power curve isn't especially satisfying in the way you'd hope for from an ARPG. If you like the 40k flavour, fighting Nurgle's poo poo and Dark Eldar is a fun diversion from the usual 40k game fare of Space Marines/Khorne/Orks, there's definitely a bit of lore breaking nonsense, but I think they do a pretty good job with the source material. I think it outstayed it's welcome - still trying to deliver and develop mechanics past where I got a bit tired of the gameplay. Fun enough for a while though.

The always online is definitely annoying, with server maintenance issues and apparently poor netcode if you do play multiplayer (I did not). If you're playing single player, it runs everything locally so there's no lag or anything but you do have to have a stable connection that won't get you booted.

66% off is a pretty good price point if "40K ARPG" sounds like a thing you'd be into, but if you're not a particular fan of one or both of those I'd pass.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

BexGu posted:

I like ARPGs and i bought it on PS4 and beat the story once a while back. I liked it. Some of the systems are more opaque than they should be. There are a few missions that are garbage and more for show. But overall, I liked it.

It is annoying that it is always online for some reason.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Things I expected from Outer Wilds: not what I experienced, whoa. I went to a cute little alien/spaceflight museum and saw a cool fish and I think I'm gonna like this game a lot!

It's a joy to experience everything and felt so fresh and original when I played it last year. Excellent soundtrack that adds much to the atmosphere of the game as well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm already replaying Celeste, please don't make me want to replay other good games tia

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Obligatory shoutout to This Land is My Land - I need to play more, only 15 minutes in it so far but it plays like third-person pov janky Far Cry with a theme I've never seen in a game before. There also seem to be cool mechanics involving deploying your warriors to do stuff/make items, and territory control, and frankly I want to play more. I want to play more of everything I've gotten this sale so far. It's good.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Obligatory shoutout to This Land is My Land - I need to play more, only 15 minutes in it so far but it plays like third-person pov janky Far Cry with a theme I've never seen in a game before. There also seem to be cool mechanics involving deploying your warriors to do stuff/make items, and territory control, and frankly I want to play more. I want to play more of everything I've gotten this sale so far. It's good.

I had my eye on that one this sale as well, but wasn't overly happy with the limited discount. If you play more, please post more impressions here.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Man with Mindustry being meh and not having heard a lot of opinions on Barotrauma, maybe this sale is gonna be Mordhau (bought), Viscera Cleanup Detail and Rust (friend insists we should play it and I'll indulge her). Fewer and fewer games every sale.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kragger99 posted:

I had my eye on that one this sale as well, but wasn't overly happy with the limited discount. If you play more, please post more impressions here.

Will do, I'll make a point of playing it more before the sale ends.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Man with Mindustry being meh and not having heard a lot of opinions on Barotrauma, maybe this sale is gonna be Mordhau (bought), Viscera Cleanup Detail and Rust (friend insists we should play it and I'll indulge her). Fewer and fewer games every sale.

Barotrauma is super fun if you only play with friends. I haven’t played with pubbies.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Barotrauma is super fun if you only play with friends. I haven’t played with pubbies.

how about alone tho?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Barotrauma is supposed to be great with friends. Haven't had the time to play yet but I heard only positive things from ppl playing it

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

how about alone tho?

I haven’t tried it, but I’m gonna go ahead and guess “not great.”

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
If you have games on your wishlist that have been there since the previous year, consider removing them to de-clutter it. Chances are that if you aren't going to buy it now, you'll never buy it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

If you have games on your wishlist that have been there since the previous year, consider removing them to de-clutter it. Chances are that if you aren't going to buy it now, you'll never buy it.

Plus, if it hasn't gone on sale since then for the price you wanted it likely won't. It seems mostly anecdotal but I'm rarely seeing anything more then a 50% on games when its not a big franchise sale.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Qtamo posted:

Can you elaborate on what's wrong with the THQ expansions? I beat both Spellforce 2 and the first expansion ages ago, and the other expansions have been pretty high on my "up next" list but it'd be good to know if there's no point playing them.

Couple reasons.

- They are both really short. Faith in Destiny is maybe 10 hours? Demons of the Past is maybe 20. Compare this to the 100 or so hours you can get out of 1, the 60ish of 2, and the 50ish of 3. It's just not enough time to develop a real plot.

- Faith in Destiny feels like a demo for Demons more then an actual game.

- Faith has some....ok quests? But some really weird choices. You can't make a female character anymore, but there is zero story reason given as to why this is a thing. Demon has a LOOOOOOT of really basic fetch quests.

- Several of the Demon levels are just the Faith levels, but you start at a different point and the level looks slightly different. To the point it felt like they saw the "too short" response, and fleshed out Demon by having you run back through those levels again rather then making new content.

Both games also suffer from a uh. Like the Spellforce storyline ends pretty well with Dragon Storm I felt. By that point you'd dealt with most of the problems in the world, things were going back to normal, congrats. Franchise done. Spellforce 3 subverts that in some smart ways. FiD and Demons don't! They basically just say, ah yeah, gotcha though, there was actually another force that was barely mentioned in any of the other games, and now you have to deal with that also! It's a sequel for the sake of being a sequel, rather then fleshing stuff out.

At $7? or so it's probably worth it if you liked Spellforce, and treat them as just a weird little side thing, especially because they have good free play modes. But in my case I replayed 3/1/2/Dragon Storm beforehand, and remembered how good the franchise was, and they somewhat disappointed.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Here's a question for you fine folks.

Rise of the Tomb Raider for $7.49

if I get this, should I also get:

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Season Pass for $4.99?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Here's a question for you fine folks.

Rise of the Tomb Raider for $7.49

if I get this, should I also get:

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Season Pass for $4.99?
I'd say yes if it isn't too much of a burden financially. The Baba Yaga DLC is pretty good, if short.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The DLCs for Rise are pretty what they say on the tin. It's got some really good tombs, a neat experimental survival mode, some more story stuff. A lot of it was pretty positively received, people tend to be pretty polarized on the survival mode but that's just kinda how that goes. The rest of it is cosmetics with some minor gameplay stuff that isn't remotely necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Some reviews of Desperadoes 3 mention that there's a major difficulty spike and a lot of trial and error "better quicksave your way through the level" design.

Anyone here played the game yet? Opinions?