Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
3 people stabbed on the beach in Bournemouth as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

sorry for not copying pasting I'm on a thrilling seminar on number theory.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

When you say "It's much easier to call for a moderate center-left pragmatic approach when it's inexpensive to avoid rural starvation" I assume this is implying that it would have to move politically right if it wasn't inexpensive? How would this help? Feeding the populace via hopefully cheap trade? If so I understand that but it seems like it'd be a precarious situation of its own. Because it seems like the populace lives or dies by the government on the left, or by foreign trade on the right. And I can see more people falling through the cracks on the right.

The right wing solution is not to feed the population; the left wing one is to get the resources to feed them from not-starving people. The graph of how many resources you can extract from non-starving people generally trends upwards based on the methods used, from ‘asking nicely’ to ‘gulags’.

Politics is really a lot easier when you can get the lines of requirements and availability to cross somewhere on the left hand half of the graph.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Twentington

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ha.

At least it's over now after 6 hours and my brain is a pulp.

Well I've remembered why I ditched Pure Maths after year 1 of uni!
My brain gets all twisted in a knot (The term knot is also applied to embeddings of S j in Sn, especially in the case j = n − 2. The branch of mathematics that studies knots is known as knot theory, and has many simple relations to graph theory just trying to understand what they're on about.
Also, 'live action python programming' of totients by the speaker is not conducive to concentration.

Give me differential equations any day.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I would actually quite like to see a "Boyle's law" of apples because it would doubtless involve the flow of apples through orifices and I think that might be right up the thread's alley. Metaphorically speaking of course.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think the only bit of maths that I actually enjoyed learning was symmetry groups

I still remember the disappointment of the lecturer when we were going over the exam answers afterwards and he revealed that at least one person had answered that methane is square planar

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Is it true that if you do pure maths your teeth fall out?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

methane is square planar
It is if you're referring to the skeletal structure. :pseudo:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
My brain just completely refuses to deal with any maths that can't be done on a Casio calculator watch - the moment you throw letters (Roman or Greek) into things I just put it in the mental box marked "Just Google it if it ever comes up".

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I didn't realise this was your band! I was going to attend one of your shows in Cheltenham a few years back. Unfortunately my wipers stopped working the night of and it decided to piss it down so I couldn't make it. Hopefully next time you're round that way I'll be able to make it.

New album is great.

You could have driven with your head out of the window.

Honestly, where's the commitment?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ha.

At least it's over now after 6 hours and my brain is a pulp.

Well I've remembered why I ditched Pure Maths after year 1 of uni!
My brain gets all twisted in a knot (The term knot is also applied to embeddings of S j in Sn, especially in the case j = n − 2. The branch of mathematics that studies knots is known as knot theory, and has many simple relations to graph theory just trying to understand what they're on about.
Also, 'live action python programming' of totients by the speaker is not conducive to concentration.

Give me differential equations any day.

I read something recently about an old problem with knots being solved.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/graduate-student-solves-decades-old-conway-knot-problem-20200519/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

XMNN posted:

I think the only bit of maths that I actually enjoyed learning was symmetry groups

I vaguely remember Su3 being important in nuclear & particle physics (though when I went to the uni library a year or so ago and looked up the actual papers I had sat and passed over 30 years ago I didn't understand the questions at all!)

When people ask me about my PhD, depending on their age, I ask them to cast their minds back to school days when they had to choose between Latin, German & Woodwork. If Hawking is Latin, my PhD is woodwork (but is actually used by people so that's not so bad - at least it's not just gathering dust on a library shelf in Senate House!)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think I must have engineer brain, because things like differential equations and imaginary/complex numbers make sense as ideas when you're e.g. designing an oscillating tank circuit they can suddenly stop being imaginary and start being on fire very quickly, but when people are talking about slicing magic spheres in 4D space I'd be hard pressed to tell if they were talking Dungeons and Dragons, drugs, or mathematics.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Guavanaut posted:

I think I must have engineer brain, because things like differential equations and imaginary/complex numbers make sense as ideas when you're e.g. designing an oscillating tank circuit they can suddenly stop being imaginary and start being on fire very quickly, but when people are talking about slicing magic spheres in 4D space I'd be hard pressed to tell if they were talking Dungeons and Dragons, drugs, or mathematics.

This was me at A level. Mechanics and Statistics, no problem. Once we got to the Further Maths section of pure, my brain just slid off

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I barely even remember basic algebra

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Same, I forgot algebra between school and college which made chemistry difficult.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You could have driven with your head out of the window.

Honestly, where's the commitment?
Unfortunately I wear glasses, so I'd still be driving rain-blind.

A non-poo poo Keir from Forward Momentum's written a pretty interesting article on Novara on where to go next.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jel Shaker posted:

Is it true that if you do pure maths your teeth fall out?

I did mostly-pure maths at uni for 4.5 years and my teeth are terrible, though that is probably more to do with the nonstop consumption of excessive sugary foods than the mathematics

i miss being able to understand abstract topology. that was fun

(the .5 is because I dropped out due to a combination of depression and trying to understand category theory, which is not a good mix let me tell you)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

LMBO the US charged Assange with further crimes, such as "conspiring" with dastardly hackers out to do no good to the United states by publishing on the website:

quote:

7. As of November 2009, WikiLeaks's "Most Wanted Leaks" for the United States included the following:

a. "Bulk Databases", including an encyclopedia used by the United States intelligence community, called "Intellipedia", and the unclassified, but non-public, CIA Open Source Center Database; and
b. "Military and Intelligence" documents, including documents that the list described as classified up to the SECRET level, for example, "Iraq and Afghanistan Rules of Engagement 2007-2009 (SECRET)"; operating and interrogation procedures at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; documents relating to Guantanamo Bay detainees; CIA detainee interrogation videos; and information about certain weapon systems.

Oh what terribly secret documents with zero public interest those are, publishing those would be an undeniably great crime against natural justice.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 26, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why didn't he just go to Sweden and do 5 years in a human rights compliant prison for the rapes he did, maybe learn to cook while inside, instead of hiding in a cupboard until his bones dissolved?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tarnop posted:

This was me at A level. Mechanics and Statistics, no problem. Once we got to the Further Maths section of pure, my brain just slid off

Hard same. Got a U in my Core 4 paper and like 96% in Mechanics, came out with a B overall which felt fair.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Why didn't he just go to Sweden and do 5 years in a human rights compliant prison for the rapes he did, maybe learn to cook while inside, instead of hiding in a cupboard until his bones dissolved?

Whatever reasons he had, be it not wanting to admit to it or thinking it's a set up, really have little bearing on the US trying to nab him for absolutely insane reasons.

Which I remind you they strenuously denied before they knew they had him.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1276527349597712384?s=19

Oof.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Probably because he's the type of person who is insistent he did nothing wrong. (He never does anything wrong.)
That was why he sat inside an embassy waiting on the statute of limitations in Sweden to count down.
And that's why he is now inside a British prison for failing to turn up in court.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
On the one hand, only 16% of labour think it was wrong? loving hell

On the other hand it's YouGov and i would not even be remotely surprised if they pulled those numbers directly out of an arse as part of an ongoing effort to delegitimise and dishearten the left

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Assange was an idiot (rapist) for not following the most basic of rules - never gently caress the fans

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Breaking bird news

A pigeon has appeared in my kitchen. It seems to have gotten itself in via the boiler?!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Well yea all the news has been reporting is as "sharing an article with a anti-semetic conspiracy theory" which on the surface sounds like something you should be sacked for.

Except it's utter bollocks, but if you're not already on the left-media train you're not going to hear that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
We got pigeons nesting outside out bathroom window and they won't stop cooing. Like come on, you've already hitched up and banged each other, you don't need to coo any more, put a loving sock in it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

sebzilla posted:

Hard same. Got a U in my Core 4 paper and like 96% in Mechanics, came out with a B overall which felt fair.

Holy poo poo really hard same. It sounds like we did different exam boards (my pure maths was 6 modules spread over two a levels) but yeah, scores in the high 90s on mechanics, an E and an N on pure maths 5&6, and a B overall for my Further Maths

None of the universities I applied to cared about my further maths grade, which was bad for motivation.

The heavens just opened in West Yorkshire. Bring on the cleansing rains

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Everywhere has just reported it as 'sacked for sharing antisemitic conspiracy theory' with no further depth so it's not really surprising. Can also be how it's explained in the poll, stuff like that is really easy to manipulate and you can get people to support whatever position you want if they're not already informed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When people ask me about my PhD

The one truly worthwhile piece of advice that I can give to everyone in the UKMT is this: never ask someone about their PhD. They will tell you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the one hand, only 16% of labour think it was wrong? loving hell

On the other hand it's YouGov and i would not even be remotely surprised if they pulled those numbers directly out of an arse as part of an ongoing effort to delegitimise and dishearten the left

Labour voters, not labour party members.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

The Question IRL posted:

Probably because he's the type of person who is insistent he did nothing wrong. (He never does anything wrong.)
That was why he sat inside an embassy waiting on the statute of limitations in Sweden to count down.
And that's why he is now inside a British prison for failing to turn up in court.

Yeah that's about what I think too. Although ever since seeing the incredible lengths the US went to get him I'm honestly a bit more inclined to doubt what really happened.

There's "believe the victim" but when you literally have the US state department and intelligence community out for your blood (see Clinton as a secretary threatening to drone strike him) then it doesn't seem absolutely insane that the US could have paid off the women in the first place.

Ironically if they never tried to vilify him I'd be a lot less forgiving in the first place.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

Whatever reasons he had, be it not wanting to admit to it or thinking it's a set up, really have little bearing on the US trying to nab him for absolutely insane reasons.

Which I remind you they strenuously denied before they knew they had him.
Yeah, it's poo poo. I can't see any metric by which he'd not have been safer from this poo poo inside a Swedish prison though. They were willing to give him more immunity from extradition than most other places would, partly due to their own laws. Unless he really believed that US black helicopters would intercept him.

And now you get all the bullshit charges, because you always do when the real crime is having made the US look bad by pointing out the things they're actually doing.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
suspect there's a fairly high baseline of people who would have said he was right to sack her just on the basis that it's Rebecca long bailey, corbynite 5th columnist tbh

at least it's going down well with Keir's target audience

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

We got pigeons nesting outside out bathroom window and they won't stop cooing. Like come on, you've already hitched up and banged each other, you don't need to coo any more, put a loving sock in it

open the window and let one of the cats have a look out, those pigeons will gently caress right off in a hurry

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

Yeah that's about what I think too. Although ever since seeing the incredible lengths the US went to get him I'm honestly a bit more inclined to doubt what really happened.

There's "believe the victim" but when you literally have the US state department and intelligence community out for your blood (see Clinton as a secretary threatening to drone strike him) then it doesn't seem absolutely insane that the US could have paid off the women in the first place.

Ironically if they never tried to vilify him I'd be a lot less forgiving in the first place.
iirc he admitted in a police interview that he did what he was accused of doing, but didn't believe it met the standard for rape and also Sweden were going to hand him over to Navy SEALs or some such poo poo.

So I believe what happened, I just think he's made poo poo a lot harder for himself than if he'd just gone to Sweden. He spent more years in worse conditions than a Swedish prison cell and now the US gets him as their person to throw poo poo rear end charges at anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

The one truly worthwhile piece of advice that I can give to everyone in the UKMT is this: never ask someone about their PhD. They will tell you.

Considering the amount of effort it takes to get one can you really blame them?