Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Warbird posted:

Does anyone know if Alton Brown is an rear end in a top hat irl? I’ve kind of always suspected it but I’m perfectly happy to just assume he’s good Bill Nye off the set.
If you want to see a more sincere Alton Brown, watch Quarantine Quitchen. Seems like the vibe I got the handful of times I got books signed and talked for a minute or so to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

The Merkinman posted:

If you want to see a more sincere Alton Brown, watch Quarantine Quitchen. Seems like the vibe I got the handful of times I got books signed and talked for a minute or so to him.

There's an awesome moment where him and his wife are pretty drunk and she starts talking poo poo about him owning a "unitasker" and he's giving her dirty looks, it's so good. Then she tells him to get some furikake from the closet and he hates the stuff so he's lying saying they don't have any. They're so cute.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's not good at street fighter

gently caress

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

mind the walrus posted:

No I can't imagine the US parsing "literary styles." I can't picture them parsing "Sitcom styles."

Sure, but they did have Ryan Stiles, which is close!

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation
I don’t want to be a bummer, but two of my favourite chefs absolutely lost me recently Gordon Ramsay fired 500 staff at the start of lockdown in the UK instead of using the gov backed furlough scheme. Rick Stein went one better and sacked a load of people and failed to pay them for time worked. It’s a bummer.

Wholesome memes:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I went to a Whose Line taping once and I can confirm that Ryan Stiles is as funny when the camera is off as when it is on

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I went to a Whose Line taping once and I can confirm that Ryan Stiles is as funny when the camera is off as when it is on

Definitely the strongest participant in every lineup he was in

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The weirdest thing about Kitchen Nightmares UK is that every episode has a shot of him bare chested putting on the chef's jacket. "No time to start filming while I'm buttoning up, I'll tell you what I think the restaurant's biggest problems are right now while I'm showing my nipples."

Maybe weird is not the right word...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

The weirdest thing about Kitchen Nightmares UK is that every episode has a shot of him bare chested putting on the chef's jacket. "No time to start filming while I'm buttoning up, I'll tell you what I think the restaurant's biggest problems are while I'm showing my nipples."

Maybe weird is not the right word...

British cooking shows always have a lowkey thirst element. Watch some Nigella Lawson, you'll see.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
No poo poo about Nigella.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY2rDYUPx38

Another chef is Giana De Laurentiis, whose cooking shows almost exclusively have her wearing low-cut tops to show off her cleavage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SphkdEGQStI

One good thing about her is that she actually paid her dues working her way up from culinary school & working in kitchens. I mean, she could've used her family wealth to get in (her grandfather was film producer Dino De Laurentiis) but she busted her rear end like anybody else to the point noted culinary curmudgeon Anthony Bourdain spoke highly of her in regards to other Food Network personalities.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I feel like if Bourdain wasn't such a grouch, he would have hung dong on cam eventually.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Amphigory posted:

Rhetoric-o-Tron, when you say Gordon, are you talking Gordon Ramsay?

To this day I've never understood how anyone in the states could watch him. His whole shtick is like the antithesis of (what I think of) as American, so it's interesting to hear he did actually come across poorly over there

I didn't know he was on the outs, but (some) Americans do (did? I don't keep up anymore) enjoy watching a bitchy British man telling other Americans off.

When he came over here he did shave away most of his persona from the BBC days, leaving "screaming man" as his dominant trait, which does get a little repetitive.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

LifeSunDeath posted:

I feel like if Bourdain wasn't such a grouch, he would have hung dong on cam eventually.

I miss Bourdain :(

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Giada's director or producer or somebody has a hand fetish. there are or were all these lingering closeups when she'd mix ingredients. it made Tarantino look subtle.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Warbird posted:

Does anyone know if Alton Brown is an rear end in a top hat irl? I’ve kind of always suspected it but I’m perfectly happy to just assume he’s good Bill Nye off the set.

I heard he's really religious which is not necessarily bad but probably kinda annoying

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lol

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Warbird posted:

A goon put a tattoo on him and had really good things to say about him, and I know people who saw his live traveling show (basically good eats in person) and they said he was super warm and friendly.

Also Guy Fieri famously visits small mom&pop shops or local flavor places that could use a boost, and the place he hit in Columbus at the North Market (think fancy market with food stalls) was a Nepali place that still has a photo of him being there thats signed. Such a small thing for Guy to do, and I've definitely heard people point out the Guy photo then go order something. Good dude, cannot wait to rename Columbus to Flavortown. edit: https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/oh/columbus/momo-ghar-restaurant hell yeah

Lobsterboy has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Jun 26, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

mind the walrus posted:

Fietti strikes me as the kind-of dude who got way way nicer after he made his money and never had to hustle the way normal people have to hustle again. I remember coming up a lot of the hate was basically from a place of "Who the gently caress is this radioactive goblin-man hawking nacho cheese at me?"

It was the sunglasses. They put me in a rage.

I, too, am happy to hear that he's a decent guy. :)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had to go digging for this but it was worth it

https://twitter.com/AaronChewning/status/600669115544637440?s=19

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ChickenWing posted:

Kitchen Nightmares UK is probably my favourite Ramsay show just because of how decent of a human he is. Like, he knows his poo poo, and he's not gonna tolerate your nonsense, but also he's not gonna go abusively off the handle at the drop of a hat.

US-produced Ramsay shows are kinda fun but you can only see him yell at people so many times before it gets trite.

His shows on Fox in the US are curated for drama. The judges on Masterchef are dicks, Hell's Kitchen is the worst service of your life every night, Kitchen Nightmares' first episode had a fistfight. Hell's Kitchen is interesting, he'll push a contestant right to the edge, but won't push them over. But generally, Fox is all about shouty Gordon.

His UK shows are 100% different. For example, you should watch all 7 of the Great Escapes videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIkSvz333k

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lobsterboy posted:

A goon put a tattoo on him and had really good things to say about him, and I know people who saw his live traveling show (basically good eats in person) and they said he was super warm and friendly.

I thought I'd heard that the scuttlebutt was that he's a big rear end in a top hat backstage, but I'd be very gratified to learn that that is not the case.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I've eaten at two Guy Fieri-endorsed restaurants and both of them rocked my socks; one of them is local and now my go-to BBQ place (or it will be one day, again, soon, I hope).

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Data Graham posted:

I thought I'd heard that the scuttlebutt was that he's a big rear end in a top hat backstage, but I'd be very gratified to learn that that is not the case.

He still totally could be, and I wouldn't be surprised if hes a bit of a control freak with how detail oriented he is (like, he used to pre-record Good Eats segments and listen to them on the non-shown ear so he could pace himself properly), but at least real person interactions he seems totally fine.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Another chef is Giana De Laurentiis, whose cooking shows almost exclusively have her wearing low-cut tops to show off her cleavage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SphkdEGQStI

One good thing about her is that she actually paid her dues working her way up from culinary school & working in kitchens. I mean, she could've used her family wealth to get in (her grandfather was film producer Dino De Laurentiis) but she busted her rear end like anybody else to the point noted culinary curmudgeon Anthony Bourdain spoke highly of her in regards to other Food Network personalities.

Hahah there was a Thankgiving will all the men kinda day drunk watching Giana, my mom came in and said, "What's she cooking?" and none of us had an answer because we were all more focused on her boobs than the food. She called us pigs and left the room.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Pokey Araya posted:

Hahah there was a Thankgiving will all the men kinda day drunk watching Giana, my mom came in and said, "What's she cooking?" and none of us had an answer because we were all more focused on her boobs than the food. She called us pigs and left the room.

food network knows what they're doing

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Lobsterboy posted:

He still totally could be, and I wouldn't be surprised if hes a bit of a control freak with how detail oriented he is (like, he used to pre-record Good Eats segments and listen to them on the non-shown ear so he could pace himself properly), but at least real person interactions he seems totally fine.

I don't think I could have worked on the Good Eats set because I would have ruined every take where he mentioned not liking single use tools in his kitchen by loudly snorting derisively. YOU MADE A loving TUPPERWARE ENCLOSURE FOR PEELING CORN, ALTON! ADMIT YOUR FORBIDDEN LOVE FOR MONOPURPOSED OBJECTS!

dot_matrix
Nov 14, 2003

I feel it closing in,
Day in, day out,
Do you have stairs in my house?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There is no god

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
the terrible secret of space was right in front of us the whole time...

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Don Gato posted:

Most of the time he blows up on someone it's because their head is up their rear end and they think they're hot poo poo or think they're too good for menial tasks

I was watching a Swedish cooking show about our top chefs and they offhandedly mentioned that Gordon is a complete rear end in a top hat who basically abused his staff when he worked in the kitchen. People accepted it because prestige chefs are apparently mostly insane and rule their kitchens like feudal lords

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's time I showed you guys my (and a friend/coworker's) 2001 Halloween costumes

dot_matrix
Nov 14, 2003

I feel it closing in,
Day in, day out,
ooof

Only registered members can see post attachments!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Warbird posted:

Hes not a jerk, but he is pretty openly a dom who constantly refers to himself as 'Daddy' and makes contestants use BDSM gear on the show.

quote:

We met Alton Brown at a show he did here - we paid the extra cash to meet him and get a blurry cellphone pic with him and have him sign a picture. He noticed my (male) companion’s pocket watch, and proceeded to order him to take it out of his pocket. It wasn’t obnoxious, it was in a Dom tone that brooked no argument. So he complied. When he found out it wasn’t wound, and so not working, he was deeply disappointed, and told him to do better next time.

If this guy isn’t a Dom, I’ll eat that spreader bar.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Talking about TV chefs, I remember that time Delia Smith got loving wasted and spoke to the crowd at a Norwich City FC match lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiC679ASOyA

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RandomFerret posted:

Hes not a jerk, but he is pretty openly a dom who constantly refers to himself as 'Daddy' and makes contestants use BDSM gear on the show.

Sounds like he likes to watch

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Looked this up, actually worse in video form, wow.

Comes off as more serious and less like joking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQJP1ksFVyM

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

some guy on the bus posted:

Looked this up, actually worse in video form, wow.

Comes off as more serious and less like joking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQJP1ksFVyM

oh it was 100% serious, he was just trying (and failing) to deliver it like he was joking. he was legit mad lol

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

dot_matrix posted:

Do you have stairs in my house?

Is this a robot from One Must Fall?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

He got his rear end beat after talking all kinds of poo poo. He deserved to be knocked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That’s fairly mundane and more or less tracks with the head chef crowd.

Lobsterboy posted:

(like, he used to pre-record Good Eats segments and listen to them on the non-shown ear so he could pace himself properly)

What’s this about his ear?