Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The amount of fraud that just shot through the supply chain on PPE is lol, just from the tiny morsel of stories I've picked up. I mean of course it was. Planet Money is doing stories about entire states fast tracking procurement through some random guy who knows a guy who knows a Chinese guy who all do a deal together for millions that another state tries to run in and bid on and it all ends with people driving a paper check across the state - and that's just one random story that happened to make the news. The ones that haven't made the news that I know of are all exactly this, but repackaging in the US would be small scale. The large scale is done overseas where it's not detectable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

zoux posted:

Oh hey Jeffery of YOSPOS has purchased the forums so now I can keep spamming yall with misery inducing tweets and opinions for the forseeable future

:hellyeah:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Polls this far out are basically meaningless and historically have a bias to over representing D. Abandon all hope, there is no good timeline.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

zoux posted:

Oh hey Jeffery of YOSPOS has purchased the forums so now I can keep spamming yall with misery inducing tweets and opinions for the forseeable future

:stoked:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I thought about telling Greg Abbott to resign, but then I remembered who would become Governor in that event and I changed my mind.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i love how much national press our oscar and felix are getting this week. patrick's on ingraham tonight yelling about something or other

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
It’s going to be very interesting to see what the downballot races look like. Trump winning/losing Texas ultimately won’t matter, but if it swings some races it could be big. Right now I have my suspicions that there will be a lot of “anti-trump” voters that are Republican or Republican-leaning independents that hate Trump, but won’t be voting for any Democrats.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so lady antebellum is now lady A, but the dixie chicks just changed their name to the chicks. should've gone with "the D chicks"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

i say swears online posted:

so lady antebellum is now lady A,

They should have changed it Lady Antifa or Lady Appomattox

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Lady Appomattox

this is good

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
The "A" clearly stands for "Alan Parsons".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't imagine the Dixie Chicken will be changing its name but oh the Aggie rage if they did

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

zoux posted:

I don't imagine the Dixie Chicken will be changing its name but oh the Aggie rage if they did

There would be outrage for sure but I would be okay if it changed to "The Chicken" since thats what everyone calls it anyway

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

good morning

https://twitter.com/cbs11doug/status/1276509820141686792

e: details

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1276515526878154753

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa, I'm irl shocked. poo poo must be even worse than it looks.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Closing bars is good. It is also too little, too late.

zoux posted:

And yet, still no statewide mask order!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Blotto_Otter posted:

Closing bars is good. It is also too little, too late.

And yet, still no statewide mask order!

"Too little too late" is still better than I expected from Abbott at this point

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

zoux posted:

This pandemic is by definition always way worse than it looks, if you remember the 3-4 week trail that we saw in NY. Texas has gone over the edge already.

The people who will be occupying makeshift convention center hospitals already have the virus in their bodies, at this moment.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The fact that Abbott was trying to blame millennials (and DeSantis in Florida trying to blame Hispanics) was the signal they would bring back restrictions eventually. After the sacrifice to the blood god.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, the political pressure from the right to go full steam ahead is immense, a single step back is mortally wounding to basically every argument the far right has been making regarding the pandemic. I expect they'll have Dan burn him in effigy live on Ingraham tonight. This is massively embarrassing to the sneering anti-public health pundit class.

Also, since numbers are only going to continue to go up for at least 2 more weeks (assuming this modest change does anything), now that the seal is broken, why shouldn’t we expect to keep seeing rollbacks? They'll crucify him for this as bad as if he sent DPS around with orders to shoot anyone who leaves their house on sight, might as well do a mask order

Man again I gotta say, if Empower Texans wasn’t completely PNG right now, I wonder if this happens

E: also note they shut down tubing as well, what's going on there

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 26, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

zoux posted:

A deliberate shot at "the youth" who are being scapegoated

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gotta keep those drat kids from their risky behaviors like ... outdoor activities.

*keeps churches open so people can go sing with each other in close quarters every week*

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Pretty sure that's just to keep photos like this from headlining articles:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

FBS posted:

A deliberate shot at "the youth" who are being scapegoated

It's because of San Marcos tbch

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

It's because of San Marcos tbch

San Marcos does small numbers compared to the Comal and Guadalupe. I have never seen the Guadalupe that busy outside of a holiday. Even the surrounding parks which may have been somewhat busy on a Saturday were wall to wall people and parking was overflowing into the streets. I am Canyon for the next week or so and I'm curious if the rivers empty since the Sheriff has been dying to kick people out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1276533849141514242

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Feel free to quote me in the years to come if Texas is still a corrupt one-party state led by morons, but this is a seismic debacle. The state government has completely failed to keep people safe and I can't see how Republicans stay in power the way that they have before.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Feel free to quote me in the years to come if Texas is still a corrupt one-party state led by morons, but this is a seismic debacle. The state government has completely failed to keep people safe and I can't see how Republicans stay in power the way that they have before.

Failed to keep people safe? The state government actively hindered and shut down local regulations designed to keep people safe. Let's call it what it is.

The state government made the active decision to hurt the people its supposed to protect.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

There is a network of official and unofficial media sources that will only say favorable things about the right wing and will twist everything to be a favorable thing for the right wing. A sizable portion of the country and especially Texas gets their news exclusively from these sources and believes anything contrary to them is baseless propaganda.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Let me put it this way: Once everyone's parents and grandparents are dying, is there really any political rhetoric capable of explaining that away for folks? Maybe I'm idealistic to a fault, but I think there's a chance that could wake a lot of people up.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

Also, since numbers are only going to continue to go up for at least 2 more weeks (assuming this modest change does anything), now that the seal is broken, why shouldn’t we expect to keep seeing rollbacks? They'll crucify him for this as bad as if he sent DPS around with orders to shoot anyone who leaves their house on sight, might as well do a mask order
Yeah, I think this is the first step towards eventually going full lockdown in the slowest, silliest way possible. Abbott's going to ease in some new restriction here and there as the numbers continue to get worse each day, and then they're going to keep getting worse for two weeks after that. This will be even worse for the economy than just going hard with restrictions right now, but that requires a little too much cognitive reasoning ability for the state GOP, so here we are.

edit:

Let me put it this way: Once everyone's parents and grandparents are dying, is there really any political rhetoric capable of explaining that away for folks? Maybe I'm idealistic to a fault, but I think there's a chance that could wake a lot of people up.
I think so too. Abbott might be scared of the Dan Patricks and Ken Paxtons right now, but once people are dying at the NRG Park Field Hospital, he's going to be a lot more scared by how many of his constituents are going to be frothing mad and screaming for someone to do something. Those people aren't going to magically turn into Democrats, but I think they're going to get a lot less excited about voting for the Dan Patricks in the future.

If one wanted to design a crisis meant to smash faith in the modern GOP's ideas of small government, I don't think you could do much better than this. It's going to be a miserable experience for a lot of people.

super edit:
https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1276542389977579520
Is there a worse Texas Democrat own-goal this decade than Beto running for president instead of senate?

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 26, 2020

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Oh good, the bare loving minimum. This state administration is so loving trash. They really need to shut down the loving beaches as well.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Beto came within 3 points of Generic GOP Senator based on vigorous campaigning, being charismatic, and gently caress Donald Trump.

As much as I will never believe in Dems winning statewide in TX until it suddenly happens (especially living amongst smug right wingers with money), add pandemic deaths and economic calamity to Beto's performance and yeah, I can see it.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/MarcDuvoisin/status/1276534399643914240
No poo poo the timing is "not good"! (I have no idea what the reason is for the resignation, the article does not provide any details.)

https://twitter.com/emfoxhall/status/1276529941304217607
Harris County judge signaling that she'd be instituting stay-at-home orders if a certain someone would let her.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Blotto_Otter posted:

super edit:
https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1276542389977579520
Is there a worse Texas Democrat own-goal this decade than Beto running for president instead of senate?

Just more evidence no politician should ever take Barack Obama's advice ever again.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

duz posted:

Just more evidence no politician should ever take Barack Obama's advice ever again.

Let's be honest here Beto always had that goal in mind, he was always going to try for it. Obama inadvertently did us the favor of having his mask pulled off first before it was too late.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Love too be the control group in the Laboratory of Democracy

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Obama told Beto to run for President??

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

KRGV posted:

DALLAS (AP) - American Airlines said Friday that it will start booking flights to full capacity next week. The move comes as the United States sets records for new reported cases of the coronavirus. United Airlines already does not block any seats. But other major U.S. airlines including Delta and Southwest leave middle seats open or limit bookings to create space between passengers to minimize contagion. Almost all U.S. airlines require passengers to wear face masks, and in a few cases they have banned customers who refuse to comply. American says it will notify customers when a flight is likely to be full, and will let them change flights at no extra cost.

https://www.krgv.com/news/american-airlines-will-book-flights-to-full-capacity

Let's see how fast they back track on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My concern is that we've over corrected our earlier mask error and are giving the false impression that masks are perfect solution to the issue. AA seems to think it's fine to pack people into a metal tube as long as they have masks and that's not at all the case.