Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Outrail posted:

Topical: Could admins/mods/posters somehow legally wrest control from taxman?

only if any of them had membership interests in the llc that owns it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Furthermore, for those that choose the correct answer: islay, or speyside?

islay when you want the peat, speyside when you're not feeling it
favorite islay: caol ila
favorite speyside: aberlour

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EwokEntourage posted:

only if any of them had membership interests in the llc that owns it

That's interesting, is there a way to see who the board members of Something Awful LLC are? Seems like it would be a public knowledge thing. Certainly I don't want anyone doxxed but I'm curious if it's a "put all my closest friends and family on the board" or if there's some rogue stakeholders like I dunno, Schmorky.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zero VGS posted:

That's interesting, is there a way to see who the board members of Something Awful LLC are? Seems like it would be a public knowledge thing. Certainly I don't want anyone doxxed but I'm curious if it's a "put all my closest friends and family on the board" or if there's some rogue stakeholders like I dunno, Schmorky.

I'm going to save you a click, it's almost certainly just Lowtax, creating an LLC so that if some idiot goon murders a bunch of people and says "Richard 'Lowtax' Kyanka got me to do it on his murder webforum, also it's where we launder all of the drug money through", and all of the money dries up, his unpaid hosting bills won't follow through to him too. Or so goes the idea.

IANAL but that's the whole point of an LLC.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

yea maybe you should not be a lawyer

you might be able to find who the members are, and whether its a member-managed LLC or manager-managed LLC, depending on where the llc was registered and what the state requires to be filed. you most likely cannot get the operating agreement or any info on membership interests beyond who the members actually are (if you can get that)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

With the supreme court case from last week (two weeks ago?) that said discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation is covered under "sex" in the Civil Rights Act, does that mean the same is also true in any other federal laws that prohibit discrimination based on sex? Will each one have to be litigated each time it comes up?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Well that's one way to open yourself up to legal action.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bad Munki posted:

Furthermore, for those that choose the correct answer: islay, or speyside?

Islands. Particularly talisker.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Speyside is great until it gets too peaty and you wake up the next morning feeling like you huffed a cat's rear end in a top hat.

iAnal. This sounds just about right for me. I love my peaty scotch.. gotta taste the lands its created from.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Badger of Basra posted:

With the supreme court case from last week (two weeks ago?) that said discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation is covered under "sex" in the Civil Rights Act, does that mean the same is also true in any other federal laws that prohibit discrimination based on sex? Will each one have to be litigated each time it comes up?

Each one will have to be litigated.

tater_salad posted:

iAnal. This sounds just about right for me. I love my peaty scotch.. gotta taste the lands its created from.

I read that as 'crotch' for some reason.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Bad Munki posted:

Okay, here’s an actual real legal question:

Hypothetically, bourbon, or scotch?

Texas whiskey

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I maybe have a drink once or twice a year, but when I do, its Scotch.

There is a lawyer in our office who's a BIG time wine drinker, like collect good bottles, has a wine cellar and everything.

Whiskey for the rest of them - No Craft Beer

Edit: Texas, Y'all

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don’t really drink anymore and I was never a big fan of the zillion varieties of whiskey or other similar charred barrel aged spirits.

If I am going to drink liquor, I prefer vodka.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
How dainty.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm a bit of a basic bitch when it comes to scotches. Macallan (age based on how my wallet's feeling), Highland Park, Oban, sometimes even Johnnie when it's all the bar has.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

joat mon posted:

I read that as 'crotch' for some reason.

love a nice peaty crotch :mmmhmm:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

tater_salad posted:

I mistook the i as an upside down Spanish question mark

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Arcturas posted:

I'm a bit of a basic bitch when it comes to scotches. Macallan (age based on how my wallet's feeling), Highland Park, Oban, sometimes even Johnnie when it's all the bar has.
Just drink what you like. If anyone gives you poo poo about that, gently caress 'em.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Dik Hz posted:

Just drink what you like. If anyone gives you poo poo about that, gently caress 'em.

Oh don’t worry. I have some fantastic cheap apple ciders in my fridge.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arcturas posted:

highland park isn't basic bitch scotch
i approve of your whisky choices (oban is overpriced tho)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Has anyone prepared the paperwork for a Non-Profit Organization? I was going to buy a book on and prepare a report for a couple people who want to incorporate and show them the options. I was going to prepare the paperwork and what not for them and then have a local attorney review it (or at least that is what I will advise them to do) I'm just curious if there is a recommended book, there's a few on Amazon and I can't necessarily tell them which to do (they're still debating between llc vs nonprofit vs nonprofit charitable).

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Just legalzoom it bitchass

Then legalscotch it bitchass

Also don’t do any of what you are trying to do if you’re in this thread looking for a practice book

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Has anyone prepared the paperwork for a Non-Profit Organization? I was going to buy a book on and prepare a report for a couple people who want to incorporate and show them the options. I was going to prepare the paperwork and what not for them and then have a local attorney review it (or at least that is what I will advise them to do) I'm just curious if there is a recommended book, there's a few on Amazon and I can't necessarily tell them which to do (they're still debating between llc vs nonprofit vs nonprofit charitable).

Your friends should probably see if there's a local legal clinic or something that helps with non profit paperwork instead and can advise them on it instead of you freehanding this poo poo and whatever attorney you show it to letting out a long sigh.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I do 501(c)3 applications and it's pretty common to have well meaning potential clients come in having already formed the entity to "save time." I have never once been able to use what they had and then redo everything from scratch. It's more complicated than most laypeople think and every detail has to be perfect for the IRS.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

pseudanonymous posted:

You are the 3rd worst kind of client; I don't mean this as an attack on you specifically, but hear me out.

1) "My first two lawyers were awful and blah blah blah...." Huge red flag, never take these clients. They likely won't pay you, won't listen to you, and won't stop doing what you specifically tell them not to.

2) "Hey, after I called you yesterday, I thought of something else. What happens if blah blah blah..." These people don't inherently trust you. Not in a malicious way, but they are anxious, don't really understand everything thats going on but also don't trust you when you tell them whats going on. Plus they don't realize that you charge more per hour to talk to them than a therapist would, and then they get made that you charged them to talk to them.

3) "Ok, I just want you to review/look over/tell me if its legal to/file this one thing..." These people think they can "save a little money" by doing part of it themselves, like some sort of construction project. "Oh, I'll install the ceiling fans after you wire the house." Its the WebMD diagnosis patient. They think they have it all figured out already, but they just need the lawyer to do the last little bit.

Except ya'll have it backwards - the foundational work like wiring the house is the important part (like researching and drafting the proper corporate entity) and installing the fans are the finishing touches (reviewing the document.) A lawyer is responsible for the whole transaction, and a good lawyer won't gently caress with "just reviewing a document." You can find a bad lawyer to "just review a document." but why would you hire a bad lawyer?

Just like no good contractor wants to let you do the most important part of their job for them to "save a little money" but be on the hook for all the liability related to your work, no good lawyer wants that either. If you want good, competent representation, pay for it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Anyone got a referral for an NYC lawyer with Missouri business law experience? Just wondering, no reason, PM me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Anyone got a referral for an NYC lawyer with Missouri business law experience? Just wondering, no reason, PM me.

I linked this post in the lawyer thread as well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Mr. Nice! posted:

I linked this post in the lawyer thread as well.
ty

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dik Hz posted:

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to give someone poo poo and, in return, they hosed me, would we run afoul of prostitution laws? Let’s say this is taking place in Portland. I don’t care which one.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
How much do I have to make someone cry before the salt water puts us in admiralty jurisdiction? Enough to be navigable?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

pseudanonymous posted:

I work for a non for profit charity and there's a good reason I have zero interest in getting involved in the legal poo poo. From what I hear the jump from 'basic not for profit' to 'tax exempt charity that can hand out tax deductible donation recipts' is huge and a giant pain in the rear end.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Nonexistence posted:

How much do I have to make someone cry before the salt water puts us in admiralty jurisdiction? Enough to be navigable?

Just get a gold fringe.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Eminent Domain posted:

Just get a gold fringe.

And look like some sort of flaggot?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Outrail posted:

I work for a non for profit charity and there's a good reason I have zero interest in getting involved in the legal poo poo. From what I hear the jump from 'basic not for profit' to 'tax exempt charity that can hand out tax deductible donation recipts' is huge and a giant pain in the rear end.

Our lawyer had a really fun time getting everything together for the fire department to be a 501(c)(3) - the department was organized in the mid 1800s and still operates on that charter. He was less than pleased, but he got it done.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Eminent Domain posted:

Just get a gold fringe.

when i don this garment i am above the laws of man

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Majestic.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Outrail posted:

My counter experience is that we set up a 501c3, ran it for about 8 years, and subsumed it into a larger 501c3 when the initial purpose no longer existed. No lawyers were involved at any time and it worked out perfectly fine. Articles of incorporation and the tax paperwork weren't very difficult. I suspect it depends on the scale and purpose of your organization. If your worst enemy would agree that you qualify as an exempt organization and you're working with less than 10,000 a year the paperwork isn't bad at all. The IRS website has a step by step walk through so figuring out the corporate structure is the only really hard part.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Leviathan Song posted:

My counter experience is that we set up a 501c3, ran it for about 8 years, and subsumed it into a larger 501c3 when the initial purpose no longer existed. No lawyers were involved at any time and it worked out perfectly fine. Articles of incorporation and the tax paperwork weren't very difficult. I suspect it depends on the scale and purpose of your organization. If your worst enemy would agree that you qualify as an exempt organization and you're working with less than 10,000 a year the paperwork isn't bad at all. The IRS website has a step by step walk through so figuring out the corporate structure is the only really hard part.

What if everyone involved are idealistic but lazy with no experience in managing anything and constantly take the easiest option with zero foresight ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Thank you for keeping me employed