Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

DRAFT: B Let's fill the holes before worrying about luxuries.

FREE AGENCY: A Pay the man what he's due.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

B, but also look for a fun/cool name if possible

And yeah let’s pay Filimon

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Oh, man, I just realized I overwrote my orders to find Sleepers in the draft, and that's why I don't have advanced knowledge of all the low guys, and I only have knowledge of guys projected around 58. I really wonder about that find sleepers order. Does 2k actually sometimes put high potential guys in the low 100s on the draft list? That'd be way better than I give them credit for, usually

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Pay Filimon, but tell him I expect a 25 assist game next season.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

FartingBedpost posted:

B, but also look for a fun/cool name if possible

And yeah let’s pay Filimon

This sounds good to me.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

1 A
2 A

Sad that our expansion rivals vanquished us but it sets up a good story.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 10, 2025-2026 Part 4, 2026 Off Season

Well, this was a pretty fun draft. I've got some big trades that went through to show off (none involving us) as well as an audience participation announcement

We kick things off with the Charlotte Hornets taking the can't-miss Craig Payton with the first overall pick. His NBA comparison is apparently Kevin Durant, but more importantly, his current rating is like, 84, so if he never improves his game at all, he'll be a productive NBA player.

Then, I think we have the biggest draft day trade yet in our simulation:

Former Finals MVP and star of the Portland Trail Blazers, Damian Lillard went to the Pistons, and somehow the Pistons also got a draft pick. What? Yeah, Portland blowing up their roster bodes really well for us, as we have their unprotected pick in 2027/next season. Trading away two firsts to make sure I kept that first seems like an even better idea now.

If this guy develops into like, a 78 overall player, this will be one of the most lopsided trades I've seen in a 2k game.

The Celtics decide they don't want to be upstaged and send last year's runner up for Rookie of the Year to the Magic in exchange for a draft pick and apparently Evan Fournier.

Gonna have to keep track of this guy vs Patsatzoglou.

This is the last Dirk Schroeder I am letting in the Draft. :frogsiren: Audience Participation :frogsiren:
NBA2k keeps producing guys with the same drat name in the draft. Most of them haven't been successful, but this guy is 9th overall, and that's way too likely to actually be good. He's also the third Dirk Schroeder drafted that I know about. So.....
Anyone who wants to name an NBA player, now's your chance. In future drafts, I will replace any instances of Dirk Schroeder and Hakan Mansiz (Stefen Schumakers will continue to get initials) with submitted names. Be advised, I won't make it exactly the submitted name---I'll at least try to make it 1)Namelike and 2)Something that the announcer will say, so you might wind up with an approximation.

Fournier doesn't stay along very lone at all as he's also flipped for picks.

This is the guy that the Celtics traded for. Apparently he's a huge steal at this point in the draft, and the Celtics seem pretty confident in him.

:eyepop:
Correction. They seem VERY confident in him. The Celtics have completely blown up their team. I think Marcus Smart is the only veteran with ability left. Interestingly, Kemba Walker will almost certainly not be starting for the Spurs, as their starting point guard, Brook Teague, is better. (Hey, remember when he was one of the early "Most Improved Players"? Yeah, he was second in votes for "Most improved player" last year. He's pretty good.) Having a third string point guard be 80 overall is an embarrassment of riches at the point for San Antonio.

This isn't as exciting, but I said I'd record 80+ player trades, and so I shall.

This is one of the players we gave up for Donta Greene

More "Eh" trades.

This one, however, is big. That's an all-star Center going to play with Giannis, and for a shockingly non-valuable pick.

Try as I might, there were no players (that I could tell) that would make our rotation, so I defaulted back to potential. I like the first and last parts of that scouting report.

Say Hello to Archie (something), our newest Honu. My PC ate my screen grab, so you get this full body shot from the editor instead. He's a shooting guard that I signed to a two-way contract and immediately stuffed into the G-league. He's not likely to amount to much, but gently caress it, the gamble felt like one worth taking. (He has over 90 potential, but he's really raw and kinda old for that high of a ceiling)

Mr Irrelevant 2026 is Paul Posey, who also has gobs of potential, and has an outside shot of being a real NBA player.

Nothing like bringing in 5 rookies after the draft.

2k once again glitches out and decides that 2 > 3, and states that Memphis isn't allowed to keep its stash players because it'd exceed their limit, which is three. I take pity on the Grizz, since the guy they have set for one more year, and taken in last year's draft, is actually really good, and so is the guy from this year's draft. And it's bullshit of the highest order they can't do both. So I edit last year's guy into coming over to the states a year early, and let the Grizz sign him to his rookie deal.

But seriously, 2K, you guys are loving lazy pieces of human garbage.

Our team options are all no-brainers.

Filimon is signed by the Trail-blazers, but since he's an RFA, I get to match their contract. This is roughly what he was asking for. No one signs Hollins so he takes his qualifying offer of 1.86 million, which is good, because he wanted like, 10, which seems impossibly optimistic for a guy who played about 15 games on the back end of a rotation. (I hate there being no salary cap and also inflation----why build the game to model inflation? Why is that the one thing the game tries to make realistic? I hate you.)

This is a bit out of order, but here's a look at Filimon's passing relevant stats after progression, to give you an idea of why I wanted this guy so badly. (Also note: Esteban Barea has a shockingly good post game for a wing/guard)

He also has these three hall-of-fame passing badges.

Bol was eligible for an extension, so I made sure to do so right away, in case he won any more awards and wanted even more money.

Aaron Holiday finds himself a new home---hopefully this is a good fit. The Bulls are terrible, but are a young team that could benefit tremendously from having a steady veteran hand at point, which Aaron definitely is at this stage of his career.

Outside shooting god Herbert Curry replaces Bogdan Bogdanovic's role on the successful Grizzlies in what is at this point in their careers a straight upgrade.

The Hawks extend Colin Sexton to a massive deal and then completely counterfeit it by also poaching Zach Norvell Jr. from the Rockets

The Lakers win the Jaxson Hayes sweepstakes.

The Nuggets pull a Vancouver and sign a bunch of different players at once to long-term deals, including two of Vancouver's key pieces, Anfernee Simons and Dimitris Dourekas (who was arguably their best player) Also Rui Hachimura from the Pistons

The Raptors grab a high value Center and Free-throw-shooting god Landry Shamet

The Ravens lost Jabari Parker as well as Simons and Dourekas, which is great, but they recover from two of those three losses with TJ Leaf and Jalen Brunson

The Rockets also swiftly recover ZNJ's loss by adding Jokic and Bridges, who is way better for every other team he's been on other than the Honu. Spy that they signed Omar Santiago----for the second consecutive year, the Golden State Warriors had a competent (actually good) backup point guard to Steph Curry and then waived him for no loving reason.

Remember how weird it was when Mike Conley Jr. Had the biggest contract in the NBA? I think Marquese Chriss now has the biggest contract in the NBA.

:smithicide:

Actually, as bad as this looks, this is almost certainly a net positive for us------there's no reason for the Mavs to make this move, especially for this much money. They still have Julius Randle, who has been their starting Power Forward for years now, and just looking at last year's stats, he had a better season than Parker, but because of how the AI favors overall rating vs actual performance (it'll eventually swing the other way depending on coach) this is almost certainly paying 28 million dollars a year to downgrade their starting Power Forward, while simultaneously downgrading the Ravens, because Hachimura is not as productive as Jabari Parker. Money makes people stupid.

:suicide:
This, however............. Hey, remember what I said about Wiggins having no defense? Well, at least this team goes to absolute poo poo once I run Curry ragged, which is easier to do now that he's pushing forty years old.

But, with Phoenix's Deandre Ayton up for grabs, can you guess who won the sweepstakes for best available free agent?

Did you guess "The best team in the league last year?" They had a fantastic Center anyhow, but gently caress it, let's upgrade to the best in the league.
And then add in Anton Gornev, who, while not a bust, had been somewhat disappointing as a #1 pick. As a PF in New York, he's got the least amount of pressure on him as possible, as every other position in New York is stacked beyond belief.

Also, New York runs a rotation now of four #1 draft picks.

What comes next?

I don't know.

:(

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 25, 2020

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

This guy is a staff member of 2K that does player ratings. In MyCareer he always replaces the first coach to be sacked.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I've enjoyed this LP immensely VSM, I've always enjoyed a sports franchise mode and watching you steer the ship with goons has helped make the lack of sports more tolerable.

Obviously everything with this site is up in the air right now and I'm making my plans to move on, but I hope you get a chance to continue this.

Go Honu

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Thank you for that post! I hope we get to continue this.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, it's been real. I'm not terminating my account or anything. I am watching the relevant threads for news of what's up, and I am on the Discord if all things collapse. If at all possible, I would like to continue, somewhere.

I wanted to do a project like this for years.... At least since 2016. It hurts deeply to have it potentially die before I feel like I can get to the real good stuff.

I'm usually terrible, I mean absolutely terrible at keeping any kind of project going on a consistent basis. But this dumb basketball game thread was/is keeping me sane in a hard, hard time. I am not handling the slow death of seemingly the whole world very well. Last Wednesday morning I had (I hope) a panic attack bad enough to go to the ER----I was hyperventilating hard enough to lose feeling in my face. Waking up yesterday to see that even this tiny little refuge might be ripped away is seriously loving with me.

Everyone here has been great. I'm touched anyone is reading this thread at all, but seeing consistent faces around really makes my day. If everything breaks and there's no plan B, I want everyone to know how thankful I am to have been able to bring anyone any entertainment in what's been an unbelievably miserable year.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Really hoping this survives in some fashion, whether here on SA or on the new Beach that people are talking about on the Discord.

As for actual in-game stuff, I'm pretty sure that after a year like this, 20-some teams would immediately revolt and lock out the players to re-institute the salary cap.

Namewise, let's fire up an online name generator for alliterative names, presented without comment:
Andrei Anthony
Larry Lawrence
Gordon Getty
Max Miller
Pedro Penderson
Randy Reginald
Edward Evans
Klaus Kennedy
Hansen Helios
Vito Vittorio

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

quote:

This is a bit out of order, but here's a look at Filimon's passing relevant stats after progression, to give you an idea of why I wanted this guy so badly. (Also note: Esteban Barea has a shockingly good post game for a wing/guard)

It occurred to me that this image got deleted from the post, so I'm editing it in, but here's what I was referring to:

99/96/99 in the three most relevant passing stats.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Floyd has 99 balls.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm still watching the news of the forums, but for the time being, I am tentatively still posting the thread here.

Chapter 11, 2026-2027 Part 1, 2026

I forgot to post some salary situations for these big spender teams, so thought maybe I should do that now:

Look at these idiots.

Meanwhile, our rivals have a much more reasonable figure, albeit, still a little high.

And the Celtics somehow have the lowest Salary I have ever seen in this game. Multiple teams have that salary tied up in two players.

We had an OK start, I guess. Just 12 in a row. No big deal.

Gheorghe Filimon rapidly begins justifying his contract---by the year's end, he's second in PPR and First in AR and Assists/36. He's also one of the league leaders right now in Effective Field Goal Percentage

Keep gettin' dem checks, Golden State.

Not even the Knicks are standing up to us

Even with Bol and Harry Francis down with minor injuries, we have a team that can generate wins. Here's fringe rotation player and former second round pick/G-leaguer Wayne Hollins starting out of position and leading our team to victory with 25 points.
EDIT This picture was missing, and I originally stated he scored 26 points.

While checking out career/game highs for some reason, I notice Michael Porter Jr. had a 61 point game, so I hustled over there to see what was going on, and discover that Vancouver's coach, which is apparently not their old coach, is a complete dumbass, just a comedic parody of Mike D'Antoni.

Look at that idiocy. Even with losing three players, the Ravens are one of the absolute deepest teams in the league, and this idiot runs a 6 man rotation. SIX. The Honu run 11.

The top five leading players in minutes per game are on the Ravens. Two of them being injured is not a surprise

No team update just yet. We're largely the same as last year, only every player is better. What I will say is our record going into 2027: 25-4. Top of the league.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 27, 2020

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Looking at those first few images, I'm wondering: Does NBA2K simulate individual owners/include anything about team sales? Because ye gods, in a world where teams are firmly in the $200+ mil salary range, no salary cap, and a luxury tax that's half a loving billion dollars per team, there'd be a grand stampede of owners trying to bail out.

Nice to see Thibs is back coaching in the league for the Ravens under a pseudonym. Playing three guys 48 minutes a night on some random regular season game that was over at halftime, good to see nothing's changed buddy.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 26, 2020

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I'm glad to see the Knicks doing well in your simulation.

2k is the only place where they can be good.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Thanks for posting again. I hope we can stay here!

How are the Celtics doing with that salary? I'm always fascinated by what AI does in games like this. Like the Ravens having a 6 man only rotation with 4 guys playing 48 minutes. That's hilarious to me.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

beejay posted:

Thanks for posting again. I hope we can stay here!

How are the Celtics doing with that salary? I'm always fascinated by what AI does in games like this. Like the Ravens having a 6 man only rotation with 4 guys playing 48 minutes. That's hilarious to me.

Hahaha, Holy poo poo. Oh, you know. About as well as can be expected.

EDIT
Our 12 game streak to start the season ties us with the 1996-1997 Chicago Bulls for fifth best start overall.

The Celtics' insane 25 game losing streak is the worst ever by a country mile. This puts them ahead (behind?) the absolutely putrid 2015-2016 76ers and 2009-2010 Nets by a whopping seven games

EDIT 2
Marcus Smart and literally every single other member of the Celtics that is not on a multi-year deal has already vowed that under no circumstances will they be returning to the Celtics next year.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 26, 2020

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

So based on this, they started the year 0-25, finally got a win over a team that should quit the NBA in shame, then another 8 in a row. Would love for you to keep tracking this and let us know just how bad their losing streaks are.

The first post-LeBron Cavs had a stretch where they went on a 1-36 run...and this might be more awful than that.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, now that I know, I can't not look. I'm gonna see if I can find that one win, too.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I had been meaning to ask: now that there's no salary cap, would it be much work for you at the end of the seasons to divide payroll by wins to see each team's individual purchase price of victory?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Was there a screenshot missing for Wayne Hollins' 26 point game?

For names I saw this rookie in my new season of MyCareer.

I have always been mildly amused by people having the same first name as surname.

Growing up in Australia there was a Formula Ford racer named Dougall McDougall.

Some other names could use

Bevan Bevin
Carl Karl, the fictional son of George Karl
Davis Love IV, the real son of the former pro golfer Davis Love III
Jordon Jordan
Matthew Matthews
Simon Simone
Wilson Wilson

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Can you even call it a rotation when you only take out one player :psyduck:

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Mmm I’m just imagining the bill Simmons tears in a world where the Celtics cheaped their way into a 1-33 record.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

tomanton posted:

I had been meaning to ask: now that there's no salary cap, would it be much work for you at the end of the seasons to divide payroll by wins to see each team's individual purchase price of victory?

You mean that literally? Divide their millions by wins? Sure. I like being on top of statistics. I'm not gonna bother figuring playoffs into that, for sanity's sake.

Largepotato posted:

Was there a screenshot missing for Wayne Hollins' 26 point game?
Apparently. Will be fixed when I get home. Been having issues with not registering my copy paste keystrokes lately.

oldskool posted:

Can you even call it a rotation when you only take out one player :psyduck:

The real rotation is their active players to the hospital.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just found this LP, so too late to vote, but could you post the city stats for Montréal? Sorry if I missed them elsewhere in the thread, but it's been occasionally whispered as a possible real-life NBA expansion site it is one of the biggest cities in North America without a team and it's sort of my home town, so I wondered how accueillant it was in-game.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

JustJeff88 posted:

I just found this LP, so too late to vote, but could you post the city stats for Montréal? Sorry if I missed them elsewhere in the thread, but it's been occasionally whispered as a possible real-life NBA expansion site it is one of the biggest cities in North America without a team and it's sort of my home town, so I wondered how accueillant it was in-game.

It's one of the better cities to start with.

Seattle is the best by far with 90 interest to go with 6x pop & income.

There are a few cities that have 6x in all 3 stats. Next best cities are similar to Montreal in rating.

e: Not sure what would qualify for 100 pop rating though, New York has 20mil and only 70 rating.

Income is the same, highest I could find is again NY with 71.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 27, 2020

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

JackBandit posted:

Mmm I’m just imagining the bill Simmons tears in a world where the Celtics cheaped their way into a 1-33 record.

Haha same, I can't imagine Brad Stevens's face as he ponders going back to Butler.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Largepotato posted:

It's one of the better cities to start with.

Seattle is the best by far with 90 interest to go with 6x pop & income.

There are a few cities that have 6x in all 3 stats. Next best cities are similar to Montreal in rating.

e: Not sure what would qualify for 100 pop rating though, New York has 20mil and only 70 rating.

Income is the same, highest I could find is again NY with 71.

As one of the few very cool things that 2k does: This actually changes over time!

Compare your Montreal to mine, where you see that all three stats have raised. Also, the population has gone up by 300,000. The fan interest is pretty interesting in how it went up again since fan interest everywhere (including Seattle) was down after I expanded. Seattle is still far-and-away the best city to put a franchise, even in 2027. All three stats are in the 60s again.

Update to follow immediately.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 11, 2026-2027 Part 2, All-Star Break and Deadlines

I continue to roll through the next couple of months en route to the all-star break. I don't have many games to post here, because they're getting kind of samey, and I think folks have by now learned what to expect from our team. I'll still show off outliers or just, you know, as whimsy takes me. I still have no triple doubles and it irritates the hell out of me. I'm also paying close lookout for 5x5s, because a few of my players, particularly Bol and Bilic get tantalizingly close. Bilic has never had 5 blocks, but he's had 4 multiple times, so... I feel like it could happen. A long shot, but I'll regularly see lines with every stat in 3 or 4.

As the deadline comes around, there are a few trades. The two big ones are at the top: The Lakers for some reason trade one of their best players in Dinwiddie, and also Gabe Marks to Fausto Garibaldi is a downgrade---I'm not sure what they're doing, but I haven't scouted Harvey Lewis too closely. I'll try to remember the name. The Ravens, meanwhile, trade one of their 6 rotation guys to the Pelicans for a draft pick in what's likely to be 3 years in the future, and also the corpse of Andre Roberson. The McDermott/Jordan trade would have been interesting five years ago when either was relevant or when their teams might have been in contention. As it stands, :effort:

Now, normally, I hold a vote for the trade deadline if I'm going to make a trade or if I think it might be a good idea, same with the contract extension deadline. This year, I acted on my own on both, because we're a serious threat to win the championship. We know we can beat the Mavs, and if the Ravens' new idiot coach doesn't utilize his team's depth, then they'll be trivially easy to deal with, too.

We have three draft picks this year. The Blazers' First Round pick, which could very possibly land us #1 overall, and our own and the clippers' #2 picks. Looking over my team, I'm not sure how many players I want to have walk away---Actually, I don't want anyone to. Wayne Hollins is probably leaving, because he'll want 11 million dollars, and I can't spare that for a guy who is likely to be at the end of my rotation. So even though this has been a bit of a breakout year for him, at least when compared to Donta Greene and Darnell Castro, who are comparatively behind (Sort of reversing last year, when he was the runt of the litter), that's way too much money for me to justify. But literally everyone else is either someone that is coming back, someone I want to come back, or a very hard decision I'm cheerfully not thinking about right now, lalalalalala I can't hear you.

So, all things considered, three picks is possibly two too many. The Blazers pick is the real treasure, the second rounders I figure I'll just defer ahead to a later draft.

My frequent trade partner, the Indiana Pacers, oblige me---they're pretty terrible and probably want some new blood right now. I'll have their second rounders in 2029 and 2030.

I also extend Dylan Windler. This is not a 2 year extension. This is a 1+team option extension for flexibility. Coach this year has been doing something that baffles me: Windler is technically our rotation's 10th or 11th man. He's played every game for us this year, but he's usually one of the least played guys in that game (still about 10 minutes). Bilic is usually our starter. Sometimes when he's cold or Barea is hot, the coach will start Barea. But if either Bilic or Barea is injured, he'll keep the other on the bench and start Windler. Between the two of them, they've had 3 minor injuries this season, and he's called on Dylan to start each time. This is actually kind of clever and probably preserves stamina for our SF rotation. It's so detailed a concept, I'm surprised 2k does it. If that's something that was seriously thought of in development, that's another (two in a row!) "cool thing 2k has modeled". I put the odds at not-zero that it's just some fluke of programming, though.

As for Windler and his 80 overall----I've already discussed at length about how he's as good as an 80 overall can possibly be, thanks to the intangibles/potential system, but I don't think I've ever mentioned that he's never had a year below 15 PER with the Honu. If you buy PER as a metric (which, by itself, it's merely a guideline, but it doesn't inflate wings like it does bigs---if anything, it underrates wings), he's an above average small forward that we pay roughly 3 times less than a starting caliber small forward, and roughly 5-6 times less than a star. Windler (and Delon Wright) being so loyal to us and so useful is not something I feel like I express well. We have always had several guys higher up in the rotation I'm colder on. Please remember how reliable he's been for us for the future, and remember his "About 7M, nowadays 8M with inflation" contract.

There's also some staff movement throughout the year.

FartingBedpost posted:

Haha same, I can't imagine Brad Stevens's face as he ponders going back to Butler.
Funny you should say that.

You got the city right!

You know, I can't see the Boston fans going for this----Brad Stevens is either an A+/A+ coach or an A/A+ coach, only Greg Popovic (not retired!), Steve Kerr, Michael Stauffer, Doc Rivers, and Nick Nurse are comparable. (Our coach, Benjamin Walker, is next after them). While the game doesn't model coaches' influence on young talent (I'm not confident in that statement; maybe the ratings do effect development), instead making that the job of the Head Trainer, (well.... coaches have preferences for how they assign minutes to youth) he's also a guy I'd want if I had a team that was almost entirely toddlers, like the simulation Celtics. Also, as horrific as their record is, it's clearly not his fault. If anything, the GM/Assistant GM should be fired. Or Management should be publicly stoned to death. But, sacrificing coaches for other people's mistakes is a proud NBA Tradition.
Cold blooded to not promote the assistant, though. If I ever fire my coach (it'll have to be a different coach. I'm keeping Coach until he retires, there's only 5 guys in the league better than him), or I guess when Coach Walker retires, I'll promote my assistant coach, unless there's someone clearly better available. I didn't check Boston's assistant out, but Aiden Anderson is merely "OK".

All Star Festivities eventually kick off, and once again, Bol Bol is selected for the sixth time. I'm starting to get a little annoyed by how Floyd is never in one of these. Selfish as he is/was, if this were the real world, a guy with his stats on a team as successful as Honolulu would have been a multiple-selection All-Star by now, and likely on his way to the Hall of Fame. Floyd will never have this honor, though. (I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.)

He'll have to settle for occasionally winning the 3pt Shootout. Giovenco Paciani wins his third consecutive Slam Dunk Contest. He is now lovingly called "Super G'venco" by fans, because he's a fat Italian guy with absolutely ridiculous leaping ability who wears either Red and Blue or Red and White. An Easter Egg in the latest entry of Mario Hoops 3-on-3 has Mario make the same smirk Paciani does after a big dunk. The Clippers start playing three of the "jump" noises when he dunks in game.

He is easily the biggest snub of the All-Star Break.

OK, somehow, 2k manages to over simulate the "old boys club" of NBA All-Star games, both for fan-voting and for the players selected by committee. Why is Brandon Ingram consistently a starter? Why is anyone a fan of his at this point? What has he ever done in this simulation? What determines a players' fan-base or marketability? Bol is our most marketable player. Our second most is Kabengele, I presume because of all the poster dunks. (The Ravens' Marketability makes no sense, two time All-Star Michael Porter Jr. is not as marketable as 0-time All-Star Wendell Carter Jr. who is averaging 15 less points a game and is the second-worst shooter in the league) Our third most marketable player is Sasha Bilic, who..... while he does a bit of everything, elite defenders don't tend to have the huge fanbase. How many Tony Allen jerseys have you seen in the wild? (Though, gently caress, I'd rock one.) Kevin Durant is beloved, but old as poo poo now, and also only averaging 20 points per game in his twilight, and not on the most efficient shooting. If he wasn't a starter (fan vote!), he wouldn't be in the all-star game at all. I refuse to believe that a two consecutive dunk contest champion (now 3) averaging 22/6/2 with 2 steals on 50% shooting (and 43 from 3 is fantastic, too. In the real world 2020 season, this would make him the fifth best 3pt shooter in the league.) as the best player on a playoff team would not win the fan vote. This guy would be on the COVER of NBA2k28. I think I can manually select All-Stars, and, while I won't do so for Honu players, I'm going to start doing it, because my god some of these snubs (and bad selections) are starting to make me furious.

Phew. That said, Ingram has no business here. I love me some Trae Young, but he shouldn't even be allowed in the audience for the game, this season. Neither should D'Angelo Russell. Durant has no business here. Kyrie Irving and Bagley III are not on playoff teams, but would both be in MVP consideration if either were. Bagley actually was early in the season. KAT hasn't had anywhere near good enough of a season to be here (and giving the Warriors 3 loving all-star selections when they're only the fourth best team in the West is insulting.) Brook Teague is on a losing team, too, but of the last two all-star games, was injured one year and snubbed the other, so his selection doesn't bother me as much as it could. The Ravens are also currently on the outside of the playoffs (seriously, fire your coach. You were first last year), but Porter Jr. is averaging over 30 points a game. The Hornets don't get a selection despite being a playoff team, but that's because their best player (Craig Payton, in his rookie season) is injured.

This guy is also pretty drat good for the Hornets, though, and traditionally, this is the sort of thing you'd see if a playoff team's main star was injured.

Why does Golden State get three all-stars and Denver get 0? Denver's got a better record.

Dimitris Dourekas is their best player. Those aren't mind-blowing figures, but no one would bat an eye if he represented a team. They're also better numbers than loving Durant has this year.

This one really bends my mind. Trae Young is an All-Star, but Ja Morant has higher points and assists but the same number of rebounds and his team is on pace for the playoffs. Ja's actually 5th on the race to the MVP board. He wasn't injured, either. Just straight up snubbed for a player who has had a worse season in every respect, and both players are about equally popular. If Marketability is a factor, Ja has 4 stars---he's more marketable than anyone on our team. How the gently caress was he not selected? :psyduck:

Why is Karl-Anthony Towns here and no one from the Suns? Like John Collins who essentially has the same numbers as KAT? Or like Lauri Markkanen? What, he was good on the Timberwolves, so now he's going to be an All-Star until he dies, even if his numbers aren't as good as Andre Drummond, who again doesn't make a team despite his Cavs being a playoff stalwart for years? Drummond's essentially been snubbed since this simulation began.

Not really a snub, but.... gently caress it, man, if you idiots are going to select Trae Young or Kyrie Irving from really bad teams, what about poor R.J. Barrett?

Someone get this poor man a team, STAT. Imagine averaging over or around 25 points a game for five straight years and not making an all-star team in any of them. No matter how garbage bad your team was, it'd never happen. I'm actually looking right now over historical zero-time all-stars and it's literally never happened. So you know what? gently caress it, I take it back. At least one of the last four or five seasons, RJ Barrett should have been an All-Star. I could have sworn they made the playoffs one of those years.

Standings:

EDIT:
"Immediately", he says, and then takes three hours to make a post.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 27, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
SPECIAL BONUS CONTENT

:ssh: Because I forgot to add it to the actual update :ssh:

BEHOLD! The Celtics have won TWO GAMES!

Most recently to Cleveland, a playoff team:

But their first win was to the Rockets, and woe be unto they, an expected playoff team that managed to lose to the Boston Celtics by over twenty points:

Their streaks are the subject of dirges in the blackened streets of Boston.

Their negative point differential is an infected, bleeding wound in the old Lion of a franchise. (LOOK at that differential. Just look at it. -27.6. The record for worst is the 1992-1993 Dallas Mavericks with -15.2. (Hey the Pacers are on pace to beat it, too. Brad Stevens probably just chugs Pepto between games) This beats their record by -12.4. The third worst point differential is the 1972-1973 Philadelphia 76ers with -12.09. This Celtics team would be a '72'-73 Sixers levels of bad in a league composed entirely of '92-'93 Mavericks) (Ok, so that's not at all how math or statistics work, but it's illustrative of how transcendentally bad the Cs are)

Their best player is an 80 overall (actually 85, but he's so angry with everyone else on his team being so bad, he's dropped 5 points)
Four of their top 5 players play the same position and the fifth one plays an adjacent position.
I'm shocked how many players they have above 25. I knew they had a lot of rookie and sophomore players, and I was going to make a comment on how this is essentially how even the best ever college team would do if it had to be in the NBA---learning the ropes really is part of the game---but no. They just have a bunch of trash veterans, too.

They have 24 games before it's forever made official, but the 2026-2027 Boston Celtics are easily the worst team in the history of the NBA. It's breathtaking in its hideousness.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 27, 2020

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
First of all, props to you for keeping a team like this together for multiple seasons without a salary cap, if a lack of all-star recognition is the price we pay for that, it's not too bad. I wonder if salary costs factor into the 'voting' at all.

Those Celtics are stunning as well, I would have thought they could find at least a couple of wins in the mid-season grind, but that roster construction has absolutely doomed them. Honestly they should get the first pick regardless, I hate Boston teams but this is so pathetic I would feel bad for them to end up with the fourth pick or something.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
At least the Celtics have Swift & Justice on their side.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 27, 2020

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Name a player DJ Toilet please.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Wow, that Celtics team is incredible. 4 SGs (and 1 SF) is absolutely insane!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Is it possible to go in and give some of the really lovely teams a bit of a boost? After a certain point, it isn't funny anymore.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Gnoman posted:

Is it possible to go in and give some of the really lovely teams a bit of a boost? After a certain point, it isn't funny anymore.

Boston is not a poor city. They have all this salary off the books now..... I am operating under the assumption that they will make some serious offers this offseason

EDIT
I just checked and there will be three free agents in the off-season that are over above 90 Overall and also under the age of 30.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 27, 2020

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Veryslightlymad posted:

EDIT
I just checked and there will be three free agents in the off-season that are over above 90 Overall and also under the age of 30.

With no salary cap, it's like every year is 2016 free agency!

I wonder who has the "worst" contract in the league? Though I guess "worst" now has to be filtered by how much money an individual team is willing to spend since we are in a world with several hundred million/year payrolls and also payrolls under 100 million.

Guper fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Veryslightlymad posted:

Boston is not a poor city. They have all this salary off the books now..... I am operating under the assumption that they will make some serious offers this offseason

EDIT

I was kind of expecting that roster to be a bug or something. Feels like the AI got stuck.