Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Len posted:

I watched Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter for the first time in over a decade and man did a lot of the humor in that not age well

It's been about fifteen years since I watched it. I remember it as the title being the best part of the movie, so I can believe that it has aged poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I haven't watched that in over a decade and will not be revisting it but the end credits song got a big laugh out of me.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
It's been mentioned before I'm sure, but Bill and Ted randomly saying FAAAG to one another catches me off guard every single time. It doesn't break the movie, but I somehow forget that line after each viewing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Four-Eyes posted:

It's been mentioned before I'm sure, but Bill and Ted randomly saying FAAAG to one another catches me off guard every single time. It doesn't break the movie, but I somehow forget that line after each viewing.

They're just so loving positive otherwise.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

purple death ray posted:

They're just so loving positive otherwise.

Yeah, ha.

Scott Pilgrim threw me off for a similar reason. One of the characters randomly calls Scott a retard, and it stands out like a sore thumb. The character is otherwise presented as simply grumpy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Flying Zamboni posted:

I haven't watched that in over a decade and will not be revisting it but the end credits song got a big laugh out of me.

Some of the biggest things that just didn't work for me:

The character who exists just to get groped. She literally says no words and just gets groped. I forgot it was a running thing and only remembered when Jesus did it at the end

There's an incredibly racist salt or pepper shakers at one point

I forgot completely about the really awkward drag queen(?) scene and I don't really know what the goal was supposed to be there?

And unrelated to the above problems I thought a luchador showing up to fight vampires was hilarious but didn't find out until well after that movie that luchadors fighting monsters is just a thing so it wasn't unique and also they used a Santo mask and had a guy be Santo.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Four-Eyes posted:

Yeah, ha.

Scott Pilgrim threw me off for a similar reason. One of the characters randomly calls Scott a retard, and it stands out like a sore thumb. The character is otherwise presented as simply grumpy.

I think that might be just about the time everyone started to lean back from using the R-word.

Bit of inside baseball, I used to be involved in the same art community as Bryan Lee O'Malley before and around when Scott Pilgrim got published as a comic. Another artist who I won't name (not for any important reason, it's just a weird detail that isn't relevant to her current career) was working as a caretaker for people with trisomy 21 at the time, and would quietly call people out whenever they'd drop "retarded" as an insult. I know that was when most of us started checking ourselves and thinking, "You know...that actually isn't cool, and we should stop."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Four-Eyes posted:

Yeah, ha.

Scott Pilgrim was problematic back when it came out, it can only be worse now

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Scott Pilgrim was problematic back when it came out, it can only be worse now

Every single relationship in it reads like a really toxic and likely abusive situation.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I haven't read Scott Pilgrim in forever but Scott was a bad person who should have been sat down by his friends and given a come to Jesus talk. And had that not worked cut from the band and their lives

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There is so much wrong with Scott Pilgrim the character (but not Scott Pilgrim the movie).

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

pentyne posted:

Every single relationship in it reads like a really toxic and likely abusive situation.

Yes, that was the point.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
Wasn't there an alternate version where he just walks away after making peace with the two girls, or was that a fever dream?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Four-Eyes posted:

That's definitely realistic for the time and characters though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Four-Eyes posted:

Wasn't there an alternate version where he just walks away after making peace with the two girls, or was that a fever dream?

The movie ends a little differently from the comic since they were made simultaneously, but I don't remember exactly what the difference is

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

purple death ray posted:

The movie ends a little differently from the comic since they were made simultaneously, but I don't remember exactly what the difference is

Summary of the last volume of Scott Pilgrim posted:

Scott awakens in a desert, where he encounters Ramona. They reconcile and return to the club, where Scott confronts Gideon inside Ramona's subspace and encourages Ramona to overcome Gideon's influence. When Scott witnesses Gideon berate Envy, he realizes he has been no better than Gideon in his past relationships, causing him to gain the Power of Understanding. Scott and Ramona unite, defeat Gideon together, and decide to give their relationship another chance. In an epilogue, Scott works as a co-chef with Stephen, who reveals he is gay and dating Joseph. Scott and Kim start a new band, and Knives leaves to attend university. Scott and Ramona affirm their desire to face the challenges of a relationship together, and walk hand-in-hand into a subspace door.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Four-Eyes posted:

In the movie, there's an alternate ending where he gets back with the 17-year old instead of Ramona.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Scott was a cowardly, narcissistic mental and emotional abuser dating an underage high school girl who cheated on her with Ramona who he also cheated on. However he also liked video games. In the end, was he really any different from us?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Four-Eyes posted:

There was an alternate ending where Scott ended up with Knives. Which is really not a good idea.

Scott ending up with Ramona isn't awful, the one thing I will say is that the comic does it better in that Scott actually realizes what a dick he's been and does try to make amends to the people who he's still close to.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

In the movie Scott has to fight Nega-Scott, and they become friends and no lessons were learned.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Scott was a cowardly, narcissistic mental and emotional abuser dating an underage high school girl who cheated on her with Ramona who he also cheated on. However he also liked video games. In the end, was he really any different from us?

Scott knows how to fight. So yes, he's very different from all of us.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Iron Crowned posted:

In the movie Scott has to fight Nega-Scott, and they become friends and no lessons were learned.

you're right up until that last part, because while the movie doesn't directly spell it out for you, that whole situation is Scott learning a lesson.

the whole point of him befriending Nega-Scott is him realizing that not every situation can be resolved with "be a toxic violent rear end in a top hat until the problem goes away." fighting Nega-Scott would just be the same poo poo he always does that always ends badly for everyone. instead, he doesn't do that and talks the situation out and ends up friends with Nega-Scott... and it's the first step on the path to him being a no-caveats decent person.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I could never get over the fact that Scott's relationship with Knives is basically completely ignored 99% of the time and coming from a place where there was an endless supply of late-20's dudes grooming teenagers (not to mention the whole "my teen asian girlfriend" thing that rolled around in so many overlapping circles within nerd fandoms), the fact that nobody ever really confronts him, and they just all sort of roll their eyes (to the point where, as mentioned above, they even shot a scene for the movie where that relationship "wins") was always the grossest thing and completely ruined the entire work for me.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
The casting for that movie was spot-on, except for the two main characters. Michael Cera's soft spoken dork routine makes Scott seem much more manipulative than he is in the comics. Comics Scott is enthusiastic but completely clueless, which means that he's often selfish and takes advantage of people without realizing it. Movie Scott is dorky and introverted and whines when he doesn't get his way, which makes him a much less appealing character. In the comics, he realizes that you can't sweep the bad things you've done under the rug by pretending they never happened, and even though he thought he was nice, he did a lot of cruel things. In the movie, he gets a spine and stands up for himself. It's a very different character arc.

Comics Ramona has the opposite problem as Scott -- she constantly fucks stuff up and then runs away. She eventually gets the guts to stay and work on her relationship with Scott, and the comics end with them both working through their problems rather than ignoring them. Movie Ramona has no personality and exists to react to the men in her life. I don't know if Edgar Wright just sucks at directing female characters or what, since Baby Driver has the same problem.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Toshimo posted:

I could never get over the fact that Scott's relationship with Knives is basically completely ignored 99% of the time and coming from a place where there was an endless supply of late-20's dudes grooming teenagers (not to mention the whole "my teen asian girlfriend" thing that rolled around in so many overlapping circles within nerd fandoms), the fact that nobody ever really confronts him, and they just all sort of roll their eyes (to the point where, as mentioned above, they even shot a scene for the movie where that relationship "wins") was always the grossest thing and completely ruined the entire work for me.

Everyone is constantly ripping on him for dating a 17 year old, and for cheating. I haven't read it in a while but don't most of the characters call him a garbage person the whole way through?

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
With hindsight I'm now grateful for my apparent inability to remember movies.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Scott Pilgrim is 23 and Knives has a birthday during all this so at that point they are 5 years apart. Not great, but not 'carry around an age of consent card reference card in your wallet' bad.

The record store break-up scene with Knives has some Chinese jokes/comments that have not aged well at all, unless you think Donald Trump is the height of hilarity.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Or like how the comic had Knives dad follow Scott around trying to get into some samurai duel over the honor of his daughter

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have seen Scott Pilgrim 4 times. 3 of them were becasue idiots around me really liked it. Every time it was "hey check out this awesome movie I just got," while I made this face :whitewater:

The one willing time I saw it it was at the second run theater because goons gushed about it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Scott Pilgrim is 23 and Knives has a birthday during all this so at that point they are 5 years apart. Not great, but not 'carry around an age of consent card reference card in your wallet' bad.

The record store break-up scene with Knives has some Chinese jokes/comments that have not aged well at all, unless you think Donald Trump is the height of hilarity.

Never seen/read the movie/comic, but at a glance that's someone at the end of/fresh out of college dating someone in high school, it's pretty gross.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Never seen/read the movie/comic, but at a glance that's someone at the end of/fresh out of college dating someone in high school, it's pretty gross.

The whole point of it in the comics is that Scott isn't really trying to date Knives, he just wants a fangirl to follow him around and Knives is that. It's really lovely and manipulative, because Knives doesn't understand that it isn't a real relationship, but he isn't trying to get into her pants or anything. He does proposition her later, after she's turned 18, but the comic portrays this correctly as creepy and wrong and a personal low point for Scott.

Like you aren't wrong, Scott honestly should not have anything to do with Knives, but he isn't really grooming her. He is using her though.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

ilmucche posted:

Everyone is constantly ripping on him for dating a 17 year old, and for cheating. I haven't read it in a while but don't most of the characters call him a garbage person the whole way through?

I wouldn't say it's aged badly given that pretty much the whole point of the movie is that he's a poo poo person and he needs to realise it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If 20+ year olds grooming teenagers becomes denormalized across the board that'll be a good thing.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

sweet geek swag posted:

The whole point of it in the comics is that Scott isn't really trying to date Knives, he just wants a fangirl to follow him around and Knives is that. It's really lovely and manipulative, because Knives doesn't understand that it isn't a real relationship, but he isn't trying to get into her pants or anything. He does proposition her later, after she's turned 18, but the comic portrays this correctly as creepy and wrong and a personal low point for Scott.

Like you aren't wrong, Scott honestly should not have anything to do with Knives, but he isn't really grooming her. He is using her though.

Fair enough, I'm not judging a work I'm not familiar with, just pointing out that "it's just five years" isn't something people should be pointing out to defend this plot point.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If 20+ year olds grooming teenagers becomes denormalized across the board that'll be a good thing.

My point is that it was not normalised in the film and multiple characters call him our for it:

quote:

STACEY
Who is this mysterious child you date?

SCOTT
Her name is Knives. Knives Chau.

STACEY
A seventeen year old Chinese
schoolgirl? You're ridiculous.

SCOTT
It's a Catholic school too.

STACEY
With the uniform and everything?
SCOTT
Yeah, the whole deal.

STACEY
Oh my God, you haven't-

SCOTT
No no no. We haven't even held
hands. I think she hugged me once.

STACEY
Um, Scott. Why are you doing this?

SCOTT
I don't know...it's just nice, you
know? It's just...simple.

STACEY
It's been over a year since you got
dumped by she-who-will-not-be-named.
Scott glances down at the partially obscured NOW magazine,
looking into the HOT GIRL'S EYES on the back cover album ad.

STACEY (CONT'D)
So, are you legitimately moving on,
or is this just you being insane?

quote:

Wallace and Scott stand outside a CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL.
Uniformed boys and girls pour out.

WALLACE
I do not want to be here. At all.

SCOTT
This school has boys too.

WALLACE
I hate you. Even I would think twice
about dating a seventeen year old.

SCOTT
Well, she's only allowed out when
the sun is up, so I wouldn't call
it dating, more like...

WALLACE
Playtime?

SCOTT
That doesn't sound so good either.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They stay his friends though

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

oldpainless posted:

I will agree to that comment.

E: but to clarify: the whole point of the movie is that he is a poo poo with regards to his relationships.

Moo the cow has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Jun 26, 2020

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

oldpainless posted:

None of them are particularly good people tbh.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

sweet geek swag posted:

None of them are particularly good people tbh.

Yeah, his roommate collects boyfriends like pokemon cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

I'm not even sure they're really his friends. They leave him to get his rear end murdered by vegan Superman and kick him out of the band to sign with Ramona's evil ex.

We might be overthinking morality in Scott Pilgrim's world. An innocent child gets disintegrated during their Battle of the Bands and no one even blinks.