Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

that sounds like a regular landlord

maybe I have a different experience, but every landlord I've had straight up shoots down any change and doesn't act like they're going to consider positive things

in that sense, they're very responsive, just not with the results that their tenants want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Azathoth posted:

reading the tea leaves, it seems that lowtax is often unreachable for long stretches and when he is reachable, he gives non-committal responses to requests, so no one feels like they can either move forward with a solid "we're not doing that" or actually make whatever change was proposed

so poo poo festers until it explodes and then a bunch of poo poo happens all at once as lowtax is roused from his oxy and booze haze long enough to stomp in and do things, but it doesn't deal with the fact that most of the problem was actually the inaction caused by lowtax not being able to be bothered to deal with the only thing standing between him and bankruptcy

im not sure if there's a name for the phenomenon, since he's not really an absentee landlord (which would actually be better, since that would at least mean he doesn't care what happens as long as the money flows in), and instead interferes just enough to make everything worse
ok so replace that guy with a new guy who appears to have no particular guiding vision or principles outside of wanting all the "cool kids" to like him

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I guess I'm cautiously hopeful (optimistic would be the wrong word) if only because so much of the community has shown a willingness to walk away if things aren't fixed. Wait and see what happens and if it all falls apart tomorrow then so be it, but maybe it can be saved and I don't have to learn a new thing or change my lurking and infrequent shitposting habits

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i'll run the forums

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Stairmaster posted:

i'll run the forums

There are, I assume, stairs in your house?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

this feels like a hostage negotiation

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

shyduck posted:

yeah and half the hostages are shouting "do it you pussy"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

shyduck posted:

cause it kinda is

personally, I’m grateful we’re negotiating over the future of a dead forum and not the life of a young woman.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

QueenOfTheEvening posted:

realtalk this is a TERRIBLE idea. some stuff has to happen behind closed doors before a decision is made, because if you put it on front street people will absolutely lose their minds about everything you say even if you don't act on it.

the correct thing to do is to be transparent and opena bout the decision making process after the fact, but that will also not happen and even if they tried nobody woul believe them now

edit for example if i post saying i think we should ban poster a for reasons xyz even if it doesnt happen poster x and their friends are going to lose their minds AND the idea that we were talking about banning them is going to stay in people's heads forever and just causes more drama

unironically agreeing w/ this

sometimes you need to have a Public Position and a Private Position :abuela:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
i'm not sure what posting ideal people are specifically going for when they talk about a new admin bringing us to a golden age or w/e

like i understand that this is a cspam thread so i get the idea of wanting this to be an online marxist resource and utopia as we overthrow capitalism but i assumed outside of cspam most people just want to be able to post their funny gifs of cloud strife smoking a blunt and discuss how the transformers movies changed cinema forever without accidentally giving money to a guy who beats his wife to do it

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

cause it kinda is

personally, I’m grateful we’re negotiating over the future of a dead forum and not the life of a young woman.

what kind of leverage does lowtax have? LMAO

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

oxsnard posted:

the legal enforcement of property ownership of the united states of amerikkka :ussr:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Taxman was always pretty libertarian leaning imo so going full chud is the next evolutionary step

Nix Panicus posted:

Also I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all these offsites and feeling like I have to pick between them. Which ones don't suck? Which ones have let crew culture metastasize into a cancer that will eventually take down their entire community?

Same. I joined a bunch of discords just in case, I'm sure there will announcements there and on here. Just gotta be patient and see how things develop

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Any mod/admin carrying water for Jeffrey needs to explain their interpretation of the events with PPJ and FYAD before they can be trusted

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Agean90 posted:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

whats PPJ

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the mod who was a spy who was a nazi whose secret nazi discord infiltration was sanctioned by Jeffrey

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

oxsnard posted:

legally speaking, all posts, content, smilies, etc. posted in the forums, as well as archives, servers, and the code of the forums itself are property of the Something Awful Limited Liability Corporation, if he wanted to, as the owner of that corporation, he could technically permaban everyone, take everything offline, and sue anyone that reposts anything from the forums elsewhere on the internet for copyright infringement, is how I believe it works

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

I guess I'm cautiously hopeful (optimistic would be the wrong word) if only because so much of the community has shown a willingness to walk away if things aren't fixed. Wait and see what happens and if it all falls apart tomorrow then so be it, but maybe it can be saved and I don't have to learn a new thing or change my lurking and infrequent shitposting habits
I'm not so sure, a whole lot of people seem to be perfectly happy with a single vague announcement saying "bad tax man is gone now all is well"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

twoday posted:

legally speaking, all posts, content, smilies, etc. posted in the forums, as well as archives, servers, and the code of the forums itself are property of the Something Awful Limited Liability Corporation, if he wanted to, as the owner of that corporation, he could technically permaban everyone, take everything offline, and sue anyone that reposts anything from the forums elsewhere on the internet for copyright infringement, is how I believe it works

Not really, he'd have to have had users "sign away" the rights of their content (images, posts, etc) which I don't recall ever doing
If you post a painting or a story here it's still yours, he can't then go and sell that stuff

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

twoday posted:

what? no they aren't. SA is a host, not the owner. if they were the owner then the LLC would be liable for everything posted here, including any libelous things. he owns a few things, like the grenade logo, but he most certainly doesn't own the user-generated content.

if this were true he'd own your book.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Any mod/admin carrying water for Jeffrey needs to explain their interpretation of the events with PPJ and FYAD before they can be trusted

wouldn't like half of them be "i'm a mod of a pet island subforum about cat grooming i don't know what any of those things are" or did mods literally have like weekly meetings or something

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Wolfsheim posted:

wouldn't like half of them be "i'm a mod of a pet island subforum about cat grooming i don't know what any of those things are" or did mods literally have like weekly meetings or something

two days ago I was seeing mods post in the mod forum that I didn’t even know existed because they never post outside of their subforum

edit: the point being, yes

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

its 2022 and the lowtax spiders relentlessly crawl the web autosuing any webmaster hosting the awesome smilie

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Not really, he'd have to have had users "sign away" the rights of their content (images, posts, etc) which I don't recall ever doing
If you post a painting or a story here it's still yours, he can't then go and sell that stuff

hmm yes I guess that makes more sense than what I said

I don't really know how copyright works

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

two days ago I was seeing mods post in the mod forum that I didn’t even know existed because they never post outside of their subforum

Well, you and Squizzle are two examples of mods who were definitely around then and have vouched for Jeffrey without explaining the incidents.
I'm subtweeting you two mainly

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

twoday posted:

american copyright law is just a golden notion, a smoke dream, a phantom

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

twoday posted:

It actually raises an interesting question as to how he was able to do photoshop fridays and goldmines for so long because no one ever gave him the rights to use that stuff and posting it doesn't imply his ability to use it to sell ad space

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
just think, we might only be a few years away from a Lowtax episode of The Dollop

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Well, you and Squizzle are two examples of mods who were definitely around then and have vouched for Jeffrey without explaining the incidents.
I'm subtweeting you two mainly

I’ll answer this in a second but first:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

sending DCMA takedowns to everyone who has ever quoted me while disagreeing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Like do people seriously not remember that night Jeffrey was gonna write the post

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Agean90 posted:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

edit: the point being, yes

Me: I'm sorry VideoGames but your silence on the matters of the 2017 FYAD lurkwars is deafening. It didn't have to come to this

VideoGames: *blindfolded, in the woods* i just post about fun PS4 games what is happening what is this

Me: *sobbing, raising the gun* it didn't....it didn't have to come to this

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this sounds like a guy that's ready to give up ownership of the forums

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I created and paid for :tastykake: and I’m taking it with me

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

It actually raises an interesting question as to how he was able to do photoshop fridays and goldmines for so long because no one ever gave him the rights to use that stuff and posting it doesn't imply his ability to use it to sell ad space

people allowed him to

if anyone had told him to take their shops down, he would have had to

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

I’ll answer this in a second but first:

okay are we sure his mom is a lawyer

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Wolfsheim posted:

okay are we sure his mom is a lawyer