Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Change, my dears. And it seems, not a moment too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Seems like there is a chance we might survive after all. If Doctor Who has taught us anything, it's that everything always somehow turns out okay in the end :shobon:

Did the Doctor ever travel to 2020?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Attitude Indicator posted:

Here's the Doctor at a recent street protest!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hungry Earth / Cold Blood are set in 2020 apparently.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

Seems like there is a chance we might survive after all. If Doctor Who has taught us anything, it's that everything always somehow turns out okay in the end :shobon:

You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you’re going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take the time to imagine the impossible. That maybe you survive.

Honestly, I’m glad it’s looking sorted. I can’t handle this many discords just for one channel.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you’re going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take the time to imagine the impossible. That maybe you survive.

Haha, had that in my head today, what a wonderful line by a wonderful Doctor, who of course is wonderful... all of them!

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

The forums are regenerating....

Donna Noble touched FYAD, giving us Bread And Roses.

LeafyOrb fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 26, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Richard Armitage is Rassilon

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1276530734317043720?s=20

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
He's done great voice work in Castlevania. Not sure I can imagine him as anything other than a drunken lout though. lol

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The 8th doctor is spending 4 box sets stuck in 2020

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Vinylshadow posted:

I'm sure the new showrunner will handle it better than the last one, at least

Anyone know what this Jeffrey dude is like and if he will put some actual money and effort into this place?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

Anyone know what this Jeffrey dude is like and if he will put some actual money and effort into this place?

Jeffery has been pretty much singlehandedly keeping the site running and tossing out the mountains of garbage (and surprisingly racist!) Radium code that continually crashes the site for a few years now. He’s low-key but seems like a decent person and he’s committed to actually fixing the site.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

He answered some questions in GBS. His plan, if the transfer works out, seems to include getting rid of ads. He's been the one putting duct tape on the code and any minor improvements we've seen recently have mostly been him. Fixing search for archives seems to be on his to-do list. A lot of QCS requests have had him answering "Yeah, it sucks, but Richard wants it here and he's the only one with the keys" until now. He has rough numbers on what it costs to pay for hosting and how much the site brings in from purchases and so far is pretty sure there doesn't need to be any fundraising to keep things afloat.

I'd say cautious optimism is in order because, if nothing else, it virtually has to be better than Lowtax.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

The forums are regenerating....

help LP is exploding into gold energy

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 26, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PriorMarcus posted:

He handled everything about CSPAM/FYAD horribly, covered for a racist D&D mod, and actively dodged a sanctioned thread looking for answers.

I don't have high hopes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

He handled everything about CSPAM/FYAD horribly, covered for a racist D&D mod, and actively dodged a sanctioned thread looking for answers.

I don't have high hopes.

I just looked at the questions thread, where several people asked what they were going to do about the mods that banned people for trying to expose things the last time Lowtax got a little too eager to use his fists, and I don't think that particular question ever got answered. So yeah, I'm with you on not being overly hopeful about things getting much better.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, had that in my head today, what a wonderful line by a wonderful Doctor, who of course is wonderful... all of them!

*Ahem* It was a fantastic line... by a fantastic Doctor :allears:

Also, I've been on hiatus from watching Doctor Who for... a fairly long time now, I stopped when Matt Smith stopped, basically - not because I disliked Capaldi or anything, but my interest just moved to other stuff for a while, and it felt like the end of a certain era. I'm actually quite unspoilt about the Twelfth Doctor's run.

I suppose I am wondering... Is it especially good? Anything in his run I should just give a miss, or little things I should be aware of? Been a while since I watched any Doctor Who - over 5 years, probably more like 7 or 8. I assume it's 3 seasons, his whole run? I'm a bit intimidated, because Matt Smith's run was pretty drat... complex and epic, and I'm sort of curious as to just how 'epic' his run winds up feeling. I do recall watching and really enjoying "The Day of the Doctor", that was the last Who-related thing that I watched, actually - I enjoyed it a great deal. If Capaldi's three-season run is on par with that in terms of quality then I am PSYCHED....

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't follow mod/admin drama since the PPJ stuff, to be clear, I was purely talking about the technical end of the site, which I think has been held up for years by someone who refused to let other people make important decisions but was completely absent to make them himself. Stuff like having a working search, getting rid of ads, getting rid of the stupid window slamming log-in page, or just adding a feature without everything completely collapsing is, for the first time in a very long time, something that could realistically happen.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

I can't follow mod/admin drama since the PPJ stuff, to be clear, I was purely talking about the technical end of the site, which I think has been held up for years by someone who refused to let other people make important decisions but was completely absent to make them himself. Stuff like having a working search, getting rid of ads, getting rid of the stupid window slamming log-in page, or just adding a feature without everything completely collapsing is, for the first time in a very long time, something that could realistically happen.

That's fair. In the sense of "will keep all the bandaids from coming off at once and Pet Island from dropping into the sea unexpectedly" then yeah, I could see it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

kaworu posted:

I suppose I am wondering... Is it especially good? Anything in his run I should just give a miss, or little things I should be aware of? Been a while since I watched any Doctor Who - over 5 years, probably more like 7 or 8. I assume it's 3 seasons, his whole run? I'm a bit intimidated, because Matt Smith's run was pretty drat... complex and epic, and I'm sort of curious as to just how 'epic' his run winds up feeling. I do recall watching and really enjoying "The Day of the Doctor", that was the last Who-related thing that I watched, actually - I enjoyed it a great deal. If Capaldi's three-season run is on par with that in terms of quality then I am PSYCHED....

The Capaldi era is like most Doctor Who, in that the quality varies widely and people disagree on what's good and what's bad overall. Listen, for example, is extremely divisive. I really love it, but others hate that the science in it is bad (I'd argue it's supposed to be) or that it answer questions Doctor Who shouldn't answer. There are people who love Capaldi's final episode, and I hated it!

I think one thing to keep in mind if you're going in unspoiled is that Capaldi has some rough spots, particularly at the beginning. Stephen Moffat seems to feel he needs to go back to some of his old wells to get people used to the new Doctor and some of those wells are a bit dry. There are times when you hate his Doctor because it feels as though he is being unnecessarily cruel and insulting to his companion. I consider it to be worth it and so do others; ultimately, it will depend on how you feel about Clara, I think. Some people hate the way she's written. Personally, I really like the direction that they went with her starting with Capaldi's run, and I think she pulls the show through some of Capaldi's early cruel moments. The arc, for awhile, is about their relationship as the Doctor and companion.

I think that the best episode of Doctor Who is during Capaldi's run, and inasmuch as there is a consensus, I think that consensus is that it is a very good episode. I'm fairly confident most people in the thread would know which one I mean without even referencing it by name, just as I'm sure that there are people who really love the following episode (I only liked it the first time I watched it, but liked it a lot more on a rewatch), and people who really hate it. Capaldi himself is an incredible actor and grew up as a huge fan of the show, and his acting is an absolute joy to watch.

tl;dr If you were a fan of the Matt Smith era, I think you'll like the Twelfth Doctor and there are some very strong episodes, but getting used to the Doctor early in the run takes some patience.

Sleep No More is an absolutely terrible episode and I recommend skipping it entirely.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Capaldi was the Doctor in what might be the best single episode of Doctor Who, so there’s that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Capaldi was the Doctor in what might be the best single episode of Doctor Who, so there’s that.

Yeah, see, like, there's not consensus on anything, but people calling that episode bad is almost unheard of. It's not early in the run, so you have to wait for it. Some people, they might say that's a hell of a long wait. Personally, I think it's a hell of an episode!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I would say Capaldi is especially good(possibly the best of NuWho) but Moffat had pretty much got the complex/epic stuff out of his system with Smith, and what ongoing story arcs there are in the Capaldi era are more about developing relationships rather than building up to plot twists and Big Reveals- though there are still a couple of absolute belter big reveals in there.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Great! I don't even want to know the name of the consensus best episode, I'd rather let it happen organically. I am excited for this now! I like Capaldi a great deal as an actor - he has amazing charisma for someone who, well, looks and comports himself the way he does, and to me, amazing natural charisma is perhaps the most important aspect for an actor to have in order to play this role.

I'm thinking he might hearken back to my first Doctor, Eccleston, based on the little I've seen of Capaldi as the Doctor... I thought EccleDoc balanced the darker aspects of the character more successfully than Tennant or Smith, both of whom had the habit of the Doctor having like a "nice mode" and an "ANGRY AND WRATHFUL MODE". I prefer it when things are a bit more integrated, even though it might mean the Doctor is less pleasant overall, or scares his companions sometimes for real.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 26, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

kaworu posted:

*Ahem* It was a fantastic line... by a fantastic Doctor :allears:

Also, I've been on hiatus from watching Doctor Who for... a fairly long time now, I stopped when Matt Smith stopped, basically - not because I disliked Capaldi or anything, but my interest just moved to other stuff for a while, and it felt like the end of a certain era. I'm actually quite unspoilt about the Twelfth Doctor's run.

The Matt Smith era is my favourite run of Doctor Who (if we're narrowing it down, season 5, his first season is the best season of the revival, with only 2 duff episodes), to give you an idea where I'm coming from. For me Capaldis run is pretty good overall. He's not Matt Smith, and as is often the case it takes a while for the writers to find his voice as the new doctor. He doesnt have a season 5 level run of highs, but there is some drat good high concept stuff in his run, some extremely good character moments, and overall some real good doctor who.

I would recommend giving it a go.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

kaworu posted:

I prefer it when things are a bit more integrated, even though it might mean the Doctor is less pleasant overall, or scares his companions sometimes for real :xd:

Oh hell yeah, jump in on Twelve's run, then.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

Oh hell yeah, jump in on Twelve's run, then.

Going from "She's my carer, she cares for me" to "BECAUSE IT'S KIND!! :byodood:" is a loving journey and worth every step.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hungry Earth / Cold Blood are set in 2020 apparently.

Fitting

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

SiKboy posted:

He's not Matt Smith, and as is often the case it takes a while for the writers to find his voice as the new doctor.

I personally feel like they never found Capaldi's voice. I remember him as one missed opportunity after another.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Season 3 Capaldi was exactly what I would have wanted him to be all along.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think Capaldi found his own personal voice after his first season, but it doesn’t always shine through because a lot of his writers failed to do the same. Couple that with Moffat losing steam and Capaldi is easily the biggest missed opportunity Doctor of the revival.

WhittakerDoc feels the same thus far, which is a bit worrying. Jodie’s performance has been great, but the writers just don’t seem to have a very clear and cohesive idea of what her Doc should be. I really wish they’d lean into her tinkerer/inventor side more.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Big Mean Jerk posted:

WhittakerDoc feels the same thus far, which is a bit worrying. Jodie’s performance has been great, but the writers just don’t seem to have a very clear and cohesive idea of what her Doc should be. I really wish they’d lean into her tinkerer/inventor side more.

I'd liked the indications in series 12 of Thirteen being outwardly sunny and nice, but surprisingly secretive about things and occasionally quite sharp when pushed. There seemed to be a certain level of friction building up between her an Ryan in particular, but I don't think it really came to a head in a properly satisfying way. Which is kind of Series 12 in a nutshell.

Recon watching update:
  • The Underwater Menace was baffling. I had as much trouble working out what was going on in the surviving episodes as I did with the telesnaps. I was surprised and disappointed that the ridiculous fish people weren't actually all that involved in the story, but it was funny that the Doctor's plan involved calling them a bunch of dumbasses so they'd all go on strike.

• I had high expectations for Evil of the Daleks, which it didn't fully live up to. The middle section with Jamie running around the house dragged badly in telesnap form, but the Skaro section and the Dalek Emperor owned. Decent, but not quite as amazing as I'd hoped. It'd be good to get this one animated in particular.

• The Abominable Snowmen was good, although the telesnap version I watched went overkill at points by trying to animate some sections that ended up far worse than if they'd just stuck to stills. I've seen everything else with the Great Intelligence already, but this is the first time where I've managed to get a proper sense of what it actually is.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I will forgive Chibnall if the Yeti come back.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

PriorMarcus posted:

I personally feel like they never found Capaldi's voice. I remember him as one missed opportunity after another.
Absolutely. Capaldi is a great actor, and it was obvious he loving loved Pertwee's Doctor and wanted to emulate him... but instead was landed with "toned-down Malcolm Tucker being a dickhead to people for no reason". Twelve was obnoxious enough early on to sour me on him, and then a run of really terrible stories in his second season stopped me from watching the show entirely. I could catch up on Netflix, but... I just don't think it would be worth the effort. (Moffat's well of clever-clever ideas was already dry as a bone by that point; I was getting tired of them even when Smith was still the Doctor.)

Edit: also Twelve had massive "No, I'm not a boring old man and I'm still trendy and cool and my kids think I'm awesome and I'm totally not going through a midlife crisis" energy, which I can't help but think was Moffat wittingly or otherwise putting himself on paper.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 26, 2020

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Voting Floater posted:

Recon watching update:
  • The Underwater Menace was baffling. I had as much trouble working out what was going on in the surviving episodes as I did with the telesnaps. I was surprised and disappointed that the ridiculous fish people weren't actually all that involved in the story, but it was funny that the Doctor's plan involved calling them a bunch of dumbasses so they'd all go on strike.

Which recon did you watch? The one on the DVD is notoriously atrocious, where the higher-ups remit was 'no photoshop, no moving images, and only put the tele-snaps on-screen in order and do not deviate from that order', which led to a recon which couldn't even use video of the opening credits, or display the episode title on screen. If you've got a scene with all 4 TARDIS crew members talking, but Jamie didn't appear in one of the two tele-snaps taken of that scene, then the poor Scotsman gets no visual representation.

It's on a par with the very early fan-made recons, where they only had the resources to put a very basic representation of the episode. What's worse is that the people making the recon were willing to put in the extra work to bring it up to par with the other reconstructions like Web of Fear at no additional cost, but they were told to follow the remit.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Payndz posted:

Absolutely. Capaldi is a great actor, and it was obvious he loving loved Pertwee's Doctor and wanted to emulate him... but instead was landed with "toned-down Malcolm Tucker being a dickhead to people for no reason". Twelve was obnoxious enough early on to sour me on him, and then a run of really terrible stories in his second season stopped me from watching the show entirely. I could catch up on Netflix, but... I just don't think it would be worth the effort. (Moffat's well of clever-clever ideas was already dry as a bone by that point; I was getting tired of them even when Smith was still the Doctor.)

Edit: also Twelve had massive "No, I'm not a boring old man and I'm still trendy and cool and my kids think I'm awesome and I'm totally not going through a midlife crisis" energy, which I can't help but think was Moffat wittingly or otherwise putting himself on paper.

A guy who worked on the show said on twitter a while back that Capaldi played the part how he wanted and started softening in the second half of his first series possibly in response to feedback from people seeing the show air

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Payndz posted:

also Twelve had massive "No, I'm not a boring old man and I'm still trendy and cool and my kids think I'm awesome and I'm totally not going through a midlife crisis" energy, which I can't help but think was Moffat wittingly or otherwise putting himself on paper.

That seemed to me like a sad, desperate attempt to win back fans who were put off by the new Doctor not being another attractive young man.

Zaroff posted:

Which recon did you watch? The one on the DVD is notoriously atrocious, where the higher-ups remit was 'no photoshop, no moving images, and only put the tele-snaps on-screen in order and do not deviate from that order', which led to a recon which couldn't even use video of the opening credits, or display the episode title on screen. If you've got a scene with all 4 TARDIS crew members talking, but Jamie didn't appear in one of the two tele-snaps taken of that scene, then the poor Scotsman gets no visual representation.

It's on a par with the very early fan-made recons, where they only had the resources to put a very basic representation of the episode. What's worse is that the people making the recon were willing to put in the extra work to bring it up to par with the other reconstructions like Web of Fear at no additional cost, but they were told to follow the remit.

It was just a random one I'd found online, so I'm not sure what the origin was. On a technical level it seemed fine and on an equal enough par with the others I've been watching. There have definitely been some recons where it's been obvious that there's really limited material to pull from (I watched the Macra Terror pt 1 to see the sequence missing from the animation, but that was very tough), but I can't think that anything stood out too much for the Underwater Menace. I can mostly follow dialogue in telesnap form fine and infer what's going on in the scene, it's just the longer action sequences that I find hard like the sword fight in The Highlanders or the helicopter sequences in Fury From The Deep.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I will also chime in on the excellence of that particular Capaldi episode. I've talked a few people into watching it and they come back and are like "yeah I was an idiot for tuning out in his first series you were right"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Capaldi run is my favourite of the revival, I think. I actually like S3 least, in part because I think the 12/Clara dynamic is super compelling and absolutely sizzles, this best friends plus master-pupil dynamic where the pupil is eager (and perhaps ready) to become the master. It's so much better than the lazy "his companion is in love with him but it can Never Be" subtext that a lot of the other revival companions derive their character drama from.

Bill got a raw deal and very little characterisation in comparison. She wasn't in that aforementioned group, it was cool that she was gay, but less cool that they just couldn't fix on a dynamic between her and the Doctor that was coherent between episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

PriorMarcus posted:

Personally I think they did towards the end of his run. Matt Smith is my favourite nuWho Doctor. Peter Capaldi on the other hand is the Doctor i would have loved to have one more season with. I think by the end of his run he'd nailed the Doctor he wanted to play, and the writers (and showrunner) had finally more or less got the feel for it too. One more season and I think we'd have seen something special. So far I think Whittaker is my "Missed opportunity" doctor, shes nailed her voice for the doctor early doors, but the writers (and showrunner) are... gently caress knows what they are doing, but it sure as poo poo isnt "Writing acceptable doctor who episodes for your talented lead to work with".