Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
JD setup this Discord for DIY: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929094&pagenumber=1

Other discussion areas also have their own Discords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

OK I took some pics and found a few from winter. I took some in the village as well, it's beautiful & if anyone is interested I'll post those.

Outside at lunchtime and living room & bedroom

Freezing my rear end off waiting for a delivery. Chalet under a bit of snow

View in winter (last one is from up on the mountain not the chalet)

Post lockdown ski tour. Deserted cafe was a bit spooky.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
drat I wish I didn’t live in the Midwest sometimes, I love mountains.

My wife wanted a bigger step down in to the garage, so I used the existing frame and just added some extensions. Glued, screwed, and shimmed, this thing isn’t going anywhere. Still need to trim the board that fits above the step, but that can wait for another day.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

peanut posted:

Very excite, I'm ready to order proper overhead cabinets and replace the rice cooker cabinet and the wire shelf.

Before

New cabinets were installed today :peanut:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

peanut posted:

That looks really good! Lots of work space, and the color matches the existing perfectly too.
I just hope for you the ceiling cabinets or cleaning the small gap won't be too much trouble.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

devmd01 posted:

drat I wish I didn’t live in the Midwest sometimes, I love mountains.

My wife wanted a bigger step down in to the garage, so I used the existing frame and just added some extensions. Glued, screwed, and shimmed, this thing isn’t going anywhere. Still need to trim the board that fits above the step, but that can wait for another day.

My first thought on seeing the first picture's thumbnail was "holy poo poo, that garage roof is thick as poo poo!"
Edit:
Like this

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 25, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha same. I was like "whoa they really messed with the scale of things on this garage, this is cool".

The step is cool too.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am considering putting some sort of awning on our patio and am hoping goons might have any experience with brands and/or custom size places to order from.

Currently I'm looking at home depot's online selection and probably will want to get something style/form-wise like this AWNTECH 12ft manual retraction blah blah.

I will get a more precise measurement before buying anything but the side of the patio I would want to install this on is about 165" wide so I need custom sizing or will need to buy a little bit smaller so it mounts properly and doesn't comically overhang the sides.

Any opinions?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

More awning gooder. Shadows move as the sun progresses West.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut posted:

Looks really good!

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Does anyone have recommendation for a dishwasher and garbage disposal? Mine are need to be replaced. Also is it possible to split the two plumbing wise?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Maigius posted:

Does anyone have recommendation for a dishwasher and garbage disposal? Mine are need to be replaced. Also is it possible to split the two plumbing wise?

Yes. Bosch. 500 or 800. Benchmark if you want to go fancy and have a cool projected timer on the floor.

Also......yes? But why would you want to do that. The entire point is that the poo poo from the dishwasher ends up in the disposal so you can turn it on and grind it up. Especially with euro style that don't have grinders.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Maigius posted:

As said above, anything Bosch, they have absolutely the best dishwashers. My garbage disposal is an "insinkerator"

Separate question - does anyone here use air purifiers? how much of a difference do they make? Since I have laminate instead of carpet I find dust and such is much more noticeable so I swiffer etc. more often, but I'm wondering if it's worth investing in anyway since I have a dog (albeit a greyhound, so there's not much fur floating around). I'm not having any issues like allergies or sneezing a lot inside.

this one has very good reviews and is very reasonably priced https://www.target.com/p/holmes-min...348#lnk=sametab

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 26, 2020

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Motronic posted:

Yes. Bosch. 500 or 800. Benchmark if you want to go fancy and have a cool projected timer on the floor.

Also......yes? But why would you want to do that. The entire point is that the poo poo from the dishwasher ends up in the disposal so you can turn it on and grind it up. Especially with euro style that don't have grinders.

The reason I'm replacing is that I think the hookup between two was installed weirdly, causing the dishwasher to stink up. My parents dishwasher and disposer were separate, so I was thinking that might help.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Maigius posted:

The reason I'm replacing is that I think the hookup between two was installed weirdly, causing the dishwasher to stink up. My parents dishwasher and disposer were separate, so I was thinking that might help.

If your dishwasher was installed on the wrong side (sewer) of the p-trap it will stink from sewer gas. If your dishwasher drain hose isn't looped above where it enters the plumbing (or side of the garbage disposal) then dirty sink water will drain into your dishwasher.

Fix those issues and your disposal won't make the dishwasher stink.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I have a thermador which is a fancy bosch they give you for free for buying a range and it works really great.

For the disposal, buy Insinkerator. Insinkerator disposals are the only brand still made in the US, and more expensive versions are silent as hell.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thermador dishwasher starts at like 1400 and has wifi (lmfao)

are you nancy pelosi

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

nielsm posted:

That looks really good! Lots of work space, and the color matches the existing perfectly too.
I just hope for you the ceiling cabinets or cleaning the small gap won't be too much trouble.

They asked me if I wanted to mount the cabinets flush with the ceiling, or flush with the dish cabinet and leave a 5cm gap by the ceiling and like, why the heck would I do that. 5cm lower and I still have to use a stool to reach anything.

That gap has some adorable retro serving trays in it now :3
There's also a rusty iron pegasus on top of the fridge.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

knox_harrington posted:

OK I took some pics and found a few from winter. I took some in the village as well, it's beautiful & if anyone is interested I'll post those.

Outside at lunchtime and living room & bedroom

Freezing my rear end off waiting for a delivery. Chalet under a bit of snow

View in winter (last one is from up on the mountain not the chalet)

Post lockdown ski tour. Deserted cafe was a bit spooky.

I really like your house and location, thanks for the pictures!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I sure would like some mountains here too, this place is so flat people call it pampas, for the plains in south america. At least we got the lakes, sea and archipelago.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Dishwasher chat: we recently updated our kitchen and went with LG for the dishwasher and Trash King for the disposal. We considered the Bosch but they don't have heated drying... Which was a huge gripe with our old dishwasher. The LG gets everything magically clean and it has adjustable shelves which has fit even the craziest stuff.

Regarding smell though, the dishwasher does have a bit of an odor. Drain hose is looped correctly and enters the disposal before the ptrap, I've checked and cleaned the dishwasher pump screen. Any other ideas? The disposal doesn't smell.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Similar to the awning question above I am going to need some shade for this terrace. It will probably be a parasol, mostly because I don't want an awning permanently attached to the siding and maybe it would be difficult to attach.

Are there any drawbacks to the parasols that use a pole at the side rather than in the middle? Maybe less stable? I saw this one which looks OK value

https://www.pfister.ch/de/produkt/16662/suncomfort-by-glatz-freiarmschirm-sunflex

There is also a delay with the terrace. The main flagstones have not yet arrived. The company were booked up through July so really hoping its not going to be a big delay

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NomNomNom posted:

Dishwasher chat: we recently updated our kitchen and went with LG for the dishwasher and Trash King for the disposal. We considered the Bosch but they don't have heated drying... Which was a huge gripe with our old dishwasher. The LG gets everything magically clean and it has adjustable shelves which has fit even the craziest stuff.

While I know what you're saying, the modern Bosches dry pretty well - they boost the heat at the end of the cycle and use the tub as a heat sink. The Benchmark series and Thermador units have some additional heat sink in them with a funny sounding marketing name and it works quite well. Even plastic stuff gets completely dry.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

While I know what you're saying, the modern Bosches dry pretty well - they boost the heat at the end of the cycle and use the tub as a heat sink. The Benchmark series and Thermador units have some additional heat sink in them with a funny sounding marketing name and it works quite well. Even plastic stuff gets completely dry.

the high end ones now pop the door a bit at the end, too which also helps.

I love no heated dry so I don't have to worry about top/bottom rack for plastic.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

knox_harrington posted:

In terrace news, the stonework for the walls is done and looks very nice. The stone is basically the same as the mountain the building is on.

I can't explain it but I am fascinated by those doors. :allears:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

the high end ones now pop the door a bit at the end, too which also helps.

I love no heated dry so I don't have to worry about top/bottom rack for plastic.

I don't know whether it's heated or not, but miele also do this and achieve a very good dry. The only stuff still wet is where there's dips for water to pool in.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

Only the thinnest of plastics can't be on the bottom rack now. But if it says "PP" on the stamp it toss it wherever there is room.

I don't mind the tiny bit of water in the bottom of the tupperware stuff, I dump it out, maybe give it a shake, and put it away. It's dry fast enough and the actual part the food goes in is dry to begin with.

It does spend 30m at the end "drying" but I don't know what it's doing to be honest. Uses 1.0kwh/load total on "auto". 2.5hrs w/ jet dry. Around $1/load total cost. Worth every penny.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Thanks to all the Covid related WFH, I decided to build a thing over a 3 day weekend.

First things first, lets get some contrast in the room:

That's better.

Lumber products, Assemble!

Look ma, no legs!

A little stain and danish oil later....

Tadaa!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

big nerd energy, nice

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why is there a rug on top of the carpet

you can just get a mat for the chair

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

toplitzin posted:

I decided to build a thing

High-five navy blue wall buddy :hf:

I also did a thing tonight

Before (this is from right after I closed on the house, forgot to take a photo before I started tearing everything out. Yes, someone cut off both the top and bottom of that door, lol):

During:

After:

I tore out all the old wood which was just a bunch of random scraps barely hanging on with jagged plaster in the path of where your clothes would go. Quite proud of it tbqh, never framed anything out before. Gotta get some more wood for a door and need to decide what kind of hinges I want. Should it open from the side or maybe tilt forward?

Also I made the opening taller and finally got a good look of what my walls are really made of. It's about an inch thick:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

actionjackson posted:

why is there a rug on top of the carpet

you can just get a mat for the chair

I can tell you it's 100% not because I dripped stain on the carpet.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Also I made the opening taller and finally got a good look of what my walls are really made of. It's about an inch thick:

Ah good ol rock lath.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Sirotan posted:

Hell yeah my bathroom is like that, it fuckin sucked to do anything to.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Hell yeah my bathroom is like that, it fuckin sucked to do anything to.

Yeah I kinda ruined two of the blades of my mom's oscillating tool cutting that out, whoopsie.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Need some hinge assistance. I've decided I'm going to do an inset door and want it to drop down a full 90 degrees (or more), since there's so little clearance for a left-hand swing and it's so close to the floor already that a 45 degree tilt forward would be awkward. I want to use concealed hinges. Can I just use any regular cabinet hinge and assume I can swap it to the bottom instead of the side?

Like these:

https://www.rockler.com/blum-soft-close-110-blumotion-clip-top-inset-hinges-for-frameless-cabinets

I found these which might also work and take up way less space than the euro hinges and are also much cheaper:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-90-Degree-Surface-Mount-Hidden-Spring-Cabinet-Hinge-1-Pair-H01068E-NP-CP/302867742

Or, do I need to get one of these special drop down hinges which seem like overkill for a tiny laundry chute door?

https://www.rockler.com/sugatsune-sds-c100-soft-down-flap-stay-drop-front-support

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

what are the absolutely essential things a homeowner needs that can be purchased from Home Depot? I'll be making a trip there soon and want to make as few trips as possible.

we're moving into a new house shortly; going from a renter to living in a place we own. yard, basement, garage, all that. getting lawn gear like a lawnmower, weed whacker, a wet/dry vac, a ladder, etc. other than some basic tools and normal cleaning supplies we own basically nothing required to maintain a place.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The whole store.. you can never tell what you'll need till you start projects.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/the-10-tools-you-need-for-basic-home-repair/

A set of basics like this will get you on your way. The rest is more stuff that comes up as you find you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Buy tools and stuff as you need them. There's not really much to recommended besides some screwdrivers, a crescent wrench, air filters... Can you get Champaign at home depot, to celebrate your new house! :toot: