Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Iwd2 was the worst of all worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Even though I was way more familiar with 2E and found 3E kind of a big cluster gently caress I still appreciated the extra mechanical options of 3E in a computer game. I'm playing through BG1 right now on the Switch and I'm enjoying it but after years of 3E games a level up in 2E feels pretty underwhelming. I didn't feel that way back in the 90s but now I want to fiddle with more advancement options instead of mostly getting passive stat boosts.

4E seemed really cool on paper but never got to play it but 5E has felt pretty good so I'm looking forward to it making its way to computer games.

Since 4E never got a turn based or RTWP game I intended to make a 4E half rear end goldbox roguelike for 7drl (building on a lot of existing code so not as absurdly ambitious as it seems) but plague / Super Tuesday hit the same week. I still tinker with it so eventually I'll put it up online somewhere.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

IWD2 was good actually.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Chairchucker posted:

IWD2 was good actually.

I enjoyed it despite a general disdain for 3e rules and am sad that we will likely never see an EE of it.\

Also, I really want GOG to re-release Pool of Radiance - Ruins of Myth Drannor even though I realise that it's shite.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

JustJeff88 posted:

Also, I really want GOG to re-release Pool of Radiance - Ruins of Myth Drannor even though I realise that it's shite.

I have really fond memories of that game, back in the day me and my cousin picked it up out of the bargain bin at the start of a long weekend sleepover thing and we took turns forcing ourselves through playing it. The game wasn't necessarily any fun but it was certainly an experience. Pretty sure that was the same weekend that we busted into his dad's beer stash which might explain how we could muster up the gumption to get through it.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Decided to pick up the enhanced editions of bg and bg2 - it will be my first time replaying them since their respective launches, which I spent a lot of time with in highschool. Rolled up an evil mage/cleric multiclass. How doable is soloing these games? If that's not really a thing then I'm just going to play with the new npcs and viconia I suppose lol.

Any tips for low level spell choices? Just wasting poo poo with chromatic orb at the moment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

field balm posted:

Decided to pick up the enhanced editions of bg and bg2 - it will be my first time replaying them since their respective launches, which I spent a lot of time with in highschool. Rolled up an evil mage/cleric multiclass. How doable is soloing these games? If that's not really a thing then I'm just going to play with the new npcs and viconia I suppose lol.

Any tips for low level spell choices? Just wasting poo poo with chromatic orb at the moment.

There's almost certainly a bunch of people who've soloed it as any class at the hardest difficulty, but I absolutely wouldn't recommend it to some who's playing for the first time in over 20 years unless you like bashing your head against the wall a bunch or playing in story mode.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

field balm posted:

Plenty of neat area-of-effect control spells for a mage:
Sleep, Grease, Horror, Web. Glitterdust (EE) is a great debuff.

Same with single targets:
Spook (EE), Blindness (debuff)

But you need another dude/gal or a staff of fire to get the kills.

"Agnazzars Scorcher" can be pretty great with good positioning. In BG you can still move while the fire beam hits everything between you and the selected target.
Have i mentioned that a staff of fire has a fireball and a fire beam mode? Get a staff of fire.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 20, 2020

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I've not done a solo with a Cleric/Mage myself yet (Maybe I'll try it for the next Ironman thread), but from past experience with a single class Cleric and a Blade, soloing with a Cleric/Mage is likely to be heavily reliant on wands for kills, not that there's anything wrong with this of course, because wands are amazing and you find a lot of them out in the wilderness. Its quite expensive keeping them charged, but its definitely a viable solo, even with a full SCS install.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

biscuits and crazy posted:

I've not done a solo with a Cleric/Mage myself yet (Maybe I'll try it for the next Ironman thread), but from past experience with a single class Cleric and a Blade, soloing with a Cleric/Mage is likely to be heavily reliant on wands for kills, not that there's anything wrong with this of course, because wands are amazing and you find a lot of them out in the wilderness. Its quite expensive keeping them charged, but its definitely a viable solo, even with a full SCS install.

Pretty much every single class is viable solo except maybe base fighter if you know all the ins and outs of the game. Losing the ability to use magic items like wands or scrolls might make a solo run impossible, but I'm sure someone has tried.

Of all the playthroughs I did I never ran any multi-class characters. I always preferred a kit dual wield or a hybrid class like paladin or bard.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Solo cleric/mage will get really powerful but that's the kind of run where you really need a few levels to get the ball rolling. So definitely doable but I wouldn't suggest it without a decent amount of familiarity with the game. If you're gonna do it, scrounge a scroll of protection from petrification and go basilisk hunting ASAP.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
For solo c/m. Go to the farm area, ankheg lair. Cast sanctuary, go to the treasure pile, grab the wand of fire and whatever else you can and get out. Use it to snipe a few high XP value target. That should get you rolling.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

In bg1 my melee fighters will retreat back to the formation with the archers after they kill someone before they move on to the next target. If the archers were way back that's a lot of walking between targets if I don't grab them. Any idea why? I've tried different AI scripts but they all seem to do it. This is on Switch ee

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

pentyne posted:

Pretty much every single class is viable solo except maybe base fighter if you know all the ins and outs of the game. Losing the ability to use magic items like wands or scrolls might make a solo run impossible, but I'm sure someone has tried.

Of all the playthroughs I did I never ran any multi-class characters. I always preferred a kit dual wield or a hybrid class like paladin or bard.

Unkitted Fighter is very doable, not the easiest warrior solo, but at least its not Wizard Slayer. :v: The Necklace of Missiles from the Nashkel Carnival solves your AoE problem, and there's more than enough potions and green scrolls for the tough fights. Fully buffed fighters are absurd, even in BG1.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Is there a discord or anything that people are fleeing toy from this thread? I don't want to miss out on the yearly ironmans, if nothing else

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

bike tory posted:

Is there a discord or anything that people are fleeing toy from this thread? I don't want to miss out on the yearly ironmans, if nothing else

The cspam breadnroses offsite has a gaming forum that is getting more and more active but no infinity thread yet there. Maybe we can find the greatest posts from this thread and translate them into an op over there?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

bike tory posted:

The LP subforum/discord people have put up another refugee site for LP posting, if this one grabs the LP community then this could also be an avenue for the ironman thread?

CrashScreen posted:

Yeah, unless the mods manage to fix the situation on here (no timescale on that but hopefully they'll succeed soon), we're moving over to LPBeach. If you're following any LPers who haven't seen the news yet, it might be worth pointing this out to them too. It'll be more successful if we're all together. That's especially more important for SSLPs too.

e: Note: The site is still under work but it's functional. They're working on an image host and its presentation now, but there's a suggestion board too.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I got to what I think is the last fight in Dragons Eye, but havent been able to win it yet. I also started BG1 over as a half elf fighter/mage and just finished the Nashkel mines. Lmao @ the mercenary party right outside that just broke me over their collective knee. Hopefully they are still there when I go back to bust them up like xp pinatas. Another ambush outside the inn! Buncha haters yo

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 25, 2020

THS
Sep 15, 2017

without this thread where will i be able to read 30 pages of arguments about faerun elf naming conventions

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The baldurs gate 3 thread?

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So I just finished the main NWN campaign with the PrC Mod installed which among its many changes converts Cloudkill to it’s 3.5e version which is 1d4 CON damage a round (fort save for half) and ignores spell resistance for some reason.

Who the gently caress thought that was reasonable. Everything living, including the final boss, dies in a couple rounds unless they dispel it immediately. Even in pen and paper that’s way overpowered.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Lol as soon as we finished traveling to the Gnoll hideout Minsc has a hardon for, he accuses me of not being down for his mission and attacked the party.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Gooch181 posted:

Lol as soon as we finished traveling to the Gnoll hideout Minsc has a hardon for, he accuses me of not being down for his mission and attacked the party.

Did you rescue Dyanheir?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Lucas Archer posted:

Did you rescue Dyanheir?

No, because he flipped his poo poo as soon as we set foot into the world tile with her in it! I had a save from a few in game days back when I was just ranging, so luckily I can just go get Dynaheir quicker this time.
Right now I have fighter/mage PC, imoen, DJ khalid, Xan, Minsc, and Jaheira. I've turned down a monk and a wild mage and another character or so down for party membership already; sort of worried about missing a good one.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, I’ve had Minsc go berserk on me several times just when I get to the Gnoll Fortress. There should really be a mod that tweaks that. It’s a long trip!

You likely haven’t encountered the MVP characters yet as they are in areas involved in the next two legs of the main quest. Exceptions being Kagain and Edwin which you might have met but are evil.

LeafyOrb posted:

So I just finished the main NWN campaign with the PrC Mod installed which among its many changes converts Cloudkill to it’s 3.5e version which is 1d4 CON damage a round (fort save for half) and ignores spell resistance for some reason.

Who the gently caress thought that was reasonable. Everything living, including the final boss, dies in a couple rounds unless they dispel it immediately. Even in pen and paper that’s way overpowered.

Straight stat damage is insane and I can’t believe 3.5 used it so much. I trivialized a lot of tabletop encounters just spamming ray of enfeeblement. Made a meta-magic build just so I could empower and quick-cast it.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 26, 2020

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, I’ve had Minsc go berserk on me several times just when I get to the Gnoll Fortress. There should really be a mod that tweaks that. It’s a long trip!

You likely haven’t encountered the MVP characters yet as they are in areas involved in the next two legs of the main quest. Exceptions being Kagain and Edwin which you might have met but are evil.

Yeah I'm pretty certain I told Edwin to take a hike. I kind of have the feeling Xan isn't the best candidate for primary mage, so ditching him for a non-evil character would be good. Do most of the characters just go chill at the inn or someplace so you can change your mind later? I know Neera said she'd be waiting someplace, but haven't been sure about others.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Xan is underestimated. As an enchanter he casts pretty potent sleep, hold person and (later) confusion and chaos spells. If you want fireballs from him, use wands of fire. His only really big flaw is no magic missile. I find Dynaheir's no-enchantments limitation far more annoying than Xan's lack of evocation spells. Ideally though you'd want to use Neera because wild mages are ridiculous.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gooch181 posted:

Yeah I'm pretty certain I told Edwin to take a hike. I kind of have the feeling Xan isn't the best candidate for primary mage, so ditching him for a non-evil character would be good. Do most of the characters just go chill at the inn or someplace so you can change your mind later? I know Neera said she'd be waiting someplace, but haven't been sure about others.

No, the vanilla BG NPCs will wait in place for the rest of time when you dismiss them from your party. There are some who run off forever if you refuse them the first time you meet them, but, again, if you let them into your party and immediately dismiss them, they’ll default to their “stand in place” behaviour

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I read your reply and was hoping it didn't work exactly the way you described, but here I am at the Gnoll Stronghold trying to decide who to leave in the pit. If I ditch Dynaheir, Minsc leaves. Same with the khalid/jaheira partnership. I don't know what to do! If they'd just auto travel to the inn or whatever I wouldn't sweat it, but screw trekking back out here playing party tetris.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Gooch181 posted:

I read your reply and was hoping it didn't work exactly the way you described, but here I am at the Gnoll Stronghold trying to decide who to leave in the pit. If I ditch Dynaheir, Minsc leaves. Same with the khalid/jaheira partnership. I don't know what to do! If they'd just auto travel to the inn or whatever I wouldn't sweat it, but screw trekking back out here playing party tetris.

I always ditched Xan at that point and rolled with Dynaheir, Minsc, Jaheira, Khalid and Imoen

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I decided to think on it a while before making any rash decisions, but that is what I was leaning towards as well.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Psycho option: kill the weak links.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Gooch181 posted:

If you get a member of a duo permakilled (their portrait disappears when that happens), then their partner won't leave. Giving Khalid a suicide mission seems appropriate.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

The weirdest part of the BG1 paired characters thing is that even the better of each pair isn’t that great. I think Minsc is probably the best one and he’s only okay.

Jaheira doesn’t really shine until BG2 imo.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Has there ever been a more overrated NPS than Minsc?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Chairchucker posted:

he’s awful. if you at all question him when you first meet him he attacks you. if you are slightly slow finding his partner he attacks you. he’s completely unstable and dangerous, who knows what innocent person he would murder if you don’t happen along. he should be chaotic neutral at best. i always kill him then kill edwin. i’m lawful good

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chairchucker posted:

As many people bitch about Minsc, I'd say yes?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

THS posted:

i’m lawful good

:black101:

Bet you kill the druids too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.