Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Dalaram posted:

2. If the math shows you killing the boss, hit the button and go. I was trying to take a victory lap on the bird that gets buffer per hit, and spelled him just powerful to beat my team, who otherwise would have beat him. Gave up 45 pyre health for my arrogance.

Yeah, you're defintiely not the only one who learned this the hard way!

Probably stating the obvious for some but the exceptions to this are any blight cards which damage your pyre as they activate before combat and any triggerable permanent upgrade cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

I wrote two pages of run history without a win on Cov 1 and then suddenly I streaked to Cov 5. I started playing every run with random/random starter too and have won with combinations I never would have picked on my own - like Melted/Awoken. I'm amazed I won that run without a reliable spell to tap low hp minions in the back but when your Champion is 180/180 and can be endlessly reformed along with a couple other beefy units like the candle cowboy who I had stacked up to 120+ damage, then I guess it doesn't really matter. Melted rules.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Dalaram posted:

Two observations:

1. MT has the same save system as StS. If you leave mid battle, you can restart the fight from the beginning, though you can’t change the modifier, if you selected it

2. If the math shows you killing the boss, hit the button and go. I was trying to take a victory lap on the bird that gets buffer per hit, and spelled him just powerful to beat my team, who otherwise would have beat him. Gave up 45 pyre health for my arrogance.

Also, 3: always look at Seraph before committing your first champion upgrade. Sap? gently caress off multistrikers or masses. Debuff/Buff remove? Goodbye thorns or rage builds. Consume spells? Better have energy buff and a bunch of crappy throw away spells.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
NO PUSHING AT THE BACK, LET'S BE GROWN UPS HERE

In case it's not obvious, there is also a Demon Fiend at the back there.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Does the game explicitly tell you that you can cheat more units into a single floor with move up / move down effects? It's such a huge strategy particularly for Hellhorned that it seems like a big oversight. I never tried it until I saw screenshots like that.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Not sure, I found out through experimentation. Just finished that run BTW, it got even crazier with me getting the event that shrinks a unit down to size 1, and then duplicated the card so my floors just were full of wax dudes. Seraph didn't even get off the bottom floor.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tom Tucker posted:

Does the game explicitly tell you that you can cheat more units into a single floor with move up / move down effects? It's such a huge strategy particularly for Hellhorned that it seems like a big oversight. I never tried it until I saw screenshots like that.

Not that I've seen, I assumed it couldnt for the longest time because there are situations (the statues, bosses and so on) where the move effect just fails, so I assumed that moving someone to a full floor would also fail, until I tried it and it didnt (IIRC it was a copy of that "move down and heal for 10) that I assumed, as the lower floor was full, it would heal without moving).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Tom Tucker posted:

WHAT

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Tilting my face off at covenant 8

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I cant reliably get a win at covenant 1. I've had I think 2 covenant 1 wins, and I'm not sure if I should move up to covenant 2 or wait until I can reliably beat 1. Any thoughts? I know the main answer is "Do what you find fun", but i guess I'm asking in case there is a subtlety I'm missing, like in Slay the Spire where you are technically easier beating the game at ascension 0 than 1 because of increased access to elite fights and their associated rewards.

I'm very much enjoying the game for the record, its just that I find most runs either stall out against the boss with the statues, or beat him and cruise until the last boss where I narrowly die.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Note that there is a hard limit of seven units per floor that cannot be bypassed in any way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Color Printer posted:

Note that there is a hard limit of seven units per floor that cannot be bypassed in any way.
Which is a strange limitation. Seven morsels? Floor's full. Seven size 5 demons? Floor's full. Six morsels and a size 5 demon? Still full.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Well, the more dudes you have on a floor, the harder it gets to click on one, so I'm guessing 8 is where they decided it's too hard to do. Or it's technical limitations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SiKboy posted:

Not that I've seen, I assumed it couldnt for the longest time because there are situations (the statues, bosses and so on) where the move effect just fails, so I assumed that moving someone to a full floor would also fail, until I tried it and it didnt (IIRC it was a copy of that "move down and heal for 10) that I assumed, as the lower floor was full, it would heal without moving).

Bosses can be moved if they have not yet entered the train. Once they're in the train, they lock any floor below them so they can't be descended - they're effectively always on the bottom floor. They can still be ascended, though, so watch out.

The other situations where you can't move a unit are those where it's Rooted. Fel's statues are permanently Rooted, and there's a couple of spells and artifacts that apply it as well. Again, pay attention; I've seen people throw runs by trying to descend a rooted enemy unit.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've lost some dailies where spells move bosses up by hitting them by accident and have my entire floor die instantly.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

With regards to difficulty I feel like it's more swingy than StS. There are more ways to break the game and broken combos. But you kind of need them. Even at fairly high ascension you can beat StS (well acts 1-3 anyway) with a solid deck of good high-value cards. Which you can't really do here. I guess it's more like Act 4 of StS, but with more ways you can win.

I'm at Covenant 24 and this feels accurate. The game is a breeze if I get a duplicated, multistriking Shadowsiege + Volatile Gauge, but in runs where I just get offered a lot of merely average/good things and build a decent deck with no obvious bad picks or misplays, I get totally wrecked.

I think the last fight is particularly swingy. 2 of the enemies (the Emberburn one and the Scourge one) can put you in a death spiral really fast, where if you draw one slow hand (due to the Covenant flooding you with extra starters and blights) and can't remove them or punch past their 400 health of blockers immediately, your next turn is nerfed hard just in time for another one and now you can do barely anything for the next several rounds.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Avasculous posted:

I think the last fight is particularly swingy. 2 of the enemies (the Emberburn one and the Scourge one) can put you in a death spiral really fast, where if you draw one slow hand (due to the Covenant flooding you with extra starters and blights) and can't remove them or punch past their 400 health of blockers immediately, your next turn is nerfed hard just in time for another one and now you can do barely anything for the next several rounds.

Yeah. I got stuck at Cov 8 for like, 15 runs? And now I'm up to cov 14 with only a few failures in between. A lot of my failed runs at Cov 8 were getting to Seraph and the deck just not cutting it.

I can't imagine what it's like at Cov 24-25 or something, but I do find myself giving up on runs right at the start if there's literally no deck synergy or cards with anti-synergy (they rely on cards the deck doesn't really have). Which is a bad habit, I should at least try to see if I can make a deck work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I beat Cov 12 last night, officially making me the second highest on my friends list! :toot:

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Avasculous posted:

Not only that, but there are quite a few floor interim bosses that can just put your deck on its rear end, with no way to prepare. Sweep type attacks, for decks reliant on weak back line. Stealth for decks without a bit, thorny tank. And man, gently caress the waves where you get 2 95/6 guys.

I’ve had otherwise good decks get flattened at floor 2, because my glass cannon hero got pounded with a single sweep attack. Or may I did have the right card, but I only had 3 waves before boss.

I think sometimes that’s another of my complaints. You really need a few more waves in the early floors to get your poo poo together. Otherwise you end up just floating by at 40 pyre health.

(Note: most of these observations are while playing at C23, so maybe the regular game isn’t as bad.)

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

There’s such a huge discrepancy in power levels between artifacts. Some are just hot garbage while others that interact with good
Scaling mechanisms (double thorns damage, frostbite adding and not decaying, etc) are broken, and I don’t think I’ve ever lost a game with volatile gauge

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I feel like part of what StS does differently is make the ways bosses/floor fights counter particular things a lot milder, without compromising the overall difficulty.

For example, the Awakened One counters Power-based decks, but you can still beat him with one- either by having a strong enough deck to just ignore his ability and overpower him anyway, or by holding your Powers for his second stage when he loses the ability.

Likewise, Time Eater counters decks that spam cards. But if you spam enough cards to reset his clock each round, you can largely mitigate him loving you over.

In Monster Train on the other hand, if you go up against certain bosses/enemies with the wrong archetype and don't have a very narrow solution in hand at the right time (like a ton of Sap or Daze for the Sweep boss), you just get hosed and hope your Pyre has enough health to solo the boss.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

A candle man and his dog.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It took me a while to realize that’s not even the final round. You’re just dealing that much damage in a regular turn. :drat:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

178x20 :catstare:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Truly one of the most single-tracked broken runs I've had. Valve as the starter relic, quickly followed by onehorn's tome offered in a draft and plenty of time to find remove consume/doublestack and hellvents to have three of them.

Favorite part of it was using dripfalls on Fel and Seraph just to get more punches in.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Unpopular opinion maybe but I think for Hellforged the higher cov rank you go the better the armor/rage champion gets. Your champ will get hit a lot in the front, if you can get the demon that gives +2 atk per rage effect you have a solid win condition, especially if you can get some armor/rage cards to help out even more. Multistrike tome also helps a lot. The +atk on slay champ is just too reliant on good timing with kills and also incredibly squishy. Just ended my Cov 15 run having 545 atk on the champion with 4x multistrike.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I've lost track of the number of days spent grinding this out but they're finally all gold. :suicide: Now to work on getting a cov 25 on all variations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lozareth posted:

I've lost track of the number of days spent grinding this out but they're finally all gold. :suicide: Now to work on getting a cov 25 on all variations.

Game died, but you're still grinding yellow men.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Jedit posted:

Game died, but you're still grinding yellow men.

Cosmic forever.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

There's 1 more above and 2 more below for a total of 11 spike colonies. I was so concerned with if I could I didn't stop to think if I should.

jk, it won easily

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The train reaches the core but explodes into a swarm of angry insect robots before hell can be revived. RIP

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I feel like I'm missing something obvious but is there a way to see how many waves are left in a fight?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Microcline posted:

I feel like I'm missing something obvious but is there a way to see how many waves are left in a fight?

No, but it's always the same number on each level. I know it's four on ring 1, 8 in Daedalus and 10 on the other boss fights, but the rest I forget.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Finally made it to Covenant 25 by random-randoming! Tbh I wish C25 was something more exciting than extra health on Seraph, I like how StS handles A20 a lot more.

Still, I really like this game. Being forced to experiment with new synergies by randoming is awesome, my C24 win was with Stygian-Umbra, who I hadn't previously won with. It turns out combining the double incant artifact, sap totems and holdover/no consume excavated embers is brokenly good. Seraph didn't even touch me lol

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

I really love this game, earlier in the week I was getting frustrated and decided to try to winstreak at C1 for a while. Didn't make it long until hubris overtook me and my 5-copy of some ungoldened Stygian minion died. I turned it back up to C25 and I've immediately streaked off a personal best 5 straight on R/R. There is something very satisfying about seeing Seraph's intent turn into that red X after playing my last spell.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's just a little baby win but I got my first non-tutorial win with some choice early shop options.

My first shop had the Largestone and Battlestone. My second shop had the Sketches of Salvation.
And my last shop let me double Tiresome Climb's effect which I used on Seraph to drag him into the middle floor where my Reaper 3 Prince had been feeding on kills behind the Consumer and both Railbeaters.

I think the only damage my Pyre took after I got the Railbeaters was 2 dings at the end because I didn't get rid of all my Scourges.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Been trying to fill out cov25 wins, stuck on Wax/Awoken for a long time now. It's impressive how bad things are if you can't go burn bright with the champion

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I'm stuck on Hellhorned/Melting in my cov 25 grinding. Just can't find a winning strategy. I had one steamrolling deck that breezed up to Seraph then got absolutely demolished by the shittiest draw plus multistriking birds.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Having gotten into this game myself but not very far into the covenant scaling I must say. I really like Penumbra aesthetically and mechanically as a champion. I find myself manipulating combat just to see his 4 big tiers punch the boss to death.

I haven’t gotten the melt yet, but of the 4 I have seen I find Tethys and the Sentient to be the most awkward. But I realise this might just be me being bad at their play styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Having gotten into this game myself but not very far into the covenant scaling I must say. I really like Penumbra aesthetically and mechanically as a champion. I find myself manipulating combat just to see his 4 big tiers punch the boss to death.

I haven’t gotten the melt yet, but of the 4 I have seen I find Tethys and the Sentient to be the most awkward. But I realise this might just be me being bad at their play styles.

I'm still getting into the game too so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I've had a few wins with both of them.

For Tethys I've won by mixing 1 to 3 levels of sweep + spell weakness with 0 to 2 levels of frostbite. The sweep is a ready solution to small enemies, and spell weakness/frostbite deals with tanks and bosses, so you just need a few big hammer spells (e.g. helical crystalis + ice storm) and some strategy for keeping Tethys safe.

For the Sentient you can take thorns and park her in the bottom row where she'll kill anything with less than 10/20/30 HP while leaving 3+ safe spaces behind her and the rest of the map free to deal with tanks and bosses. The most common awoken endgame at this point seems to be stacking regen (40+) on a thorny hollow so in the boss phase it all gets converted into spikes.

What really helped me was looking at Jorb's spreadsheet, which has example builds for each of the factions, including breakdowns of how each of them can handle small/large/boss enemies and defense:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uEk_q5YZH7lvk1C7ZarDUn1e43BTFfBA-lz3A4iz3tQ/edit#gid=1657239015