Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The Argathans are just humans who discovered the magical power of Dubstep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Eh, I think Edelgard is the least important after Silver Snow.

Claude actually learns the truth about the world. Edelgard merely thinks she knows the truth. All Edelgard's route really offers is seeing Rhea at her worst.

yes, if you evaluate stories only in the amount of cold hard lore facts they convey

also it's not very cool that people responded to a post asking what route to play next by spoiling the entire story of the game without tags

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
yeah we're all getting a little loosey goosey with spoiler tags in the forums end days

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Amppelix posted:

yes, if you evaluate stories only in the amount of cold hard lore facts they convey

also it's not very cool that people responded to a post asking what route to play next by spoiling the entire story of the game without tags

this is what Cythereal does though

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
I've beat the Edelgard route (is there only one of hers? there were 2 significant choices at the end of part I, and it seems suspicious that the big baddies were supposedly dealt with off-screen, did I miss anything?) on Normal because I didn't see myself getting good enough to beat that last map on Hard without losing any units (or at all).

The game had been a cakewalk until the confrontation with Dimitri, which forced me to actually plan my starting units and batallions for once, and then the final map just broke me :negative: That's a difficulty spike and a half there.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There is only one choice in this game that actually matters.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah even on hard the last two maps of CF actually put up a fight. I'm not looking forward to Dimitri on maddening. His stats were already such that i had like three units who could attack him without being instantly owned in retaliation on hard.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Dimitri on Maddening was hilarious. I had to poison him down to low HP with Hubert and then one shot him with Edelgard or he would massacre anyone that tried to fight him.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm replaying on Maddening now and I think this might be a one-time thing. I just finished the fog map with Lonato and the big stat discrepancies have resulted in a large large number of absolutely infuriating game-losing misses at 80% accuracy without really any significant tactical options to overcome them (80% with using a skill, otherwise like 60% with the enemy not even on a forest). I was originally trying to save both of the mercenaries that come with you for the reward but when I realized I was in a good position to win the map and one of them got oneshot crit in the fog I just said gently caress it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Storm One posted:

I've beat the Edelgard route (is there only one of hers? there were 2 significant choices at the end of part I, and it seems suspicious that the big baddies were supposedly dealt with off-screen, did I miss anything?) on Normal because I didn't see myself getting good enough to beat that last map on Hard without losing any units (or at all).

That is the case. You need to pick both options you did to get the Edelgard route. If you don't go to the coronation, you plain do not get the option to side with her later. Not siding with her leads to the Church route, officially referred to as Silver Snow. Rhea is the big bad on the Edelgard route, and my best bet for you not dealing with the Slitherers during gameplay is that Rhea needed to be the final boss and it would gently caress up the pacing to slot them in before or after fighting her.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I only did claude at launch but loved it. I think I’m gonna get the dlc and then do crimson flower I want more FE

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That is the case. You need to pick both options you did to get the Edelgard route. If you don't go to the coronation, you plain do not get the option to side with her later. Not siding with her leads to the Church route, officially referred to as Silver Snow. Rhea is the big bad on the Edelgard route, and my best bet for you not dealing with the Slitherers during gameplay is that Rhea needed to be the final boss and it would gently caress up the pacing to slot them in before or after fighting her.

This kind of torqued me (the off-screen victory). I'm on the last map of VW and knowing that you actually get to fight the Slitherers mad me so loving mad that you don't do it in CF since THAT's the WHOLE POINT! Rhea being the final boss is dumb because she should really just have been a stepping stone in the first place since that's all she was in Edelgard's mind anyway.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

AlternateNu posted:

This kind of torqued me (the off-screen victory). I'm on the last map of VW and knowing that you actually get to fight the Slitherers mad me so loving mad that you don't do it in CF since THAT's the WHOLE POINT! Rhea being the final boss is dumb because she should really just have been a stepping stone in the first place since that's all she was in Edelgard's mind anyway.

That's entirely backwards. What Edelgard hates is the crest system that lead to Fodlan being how it is, a system that was instituted and ran by Rhea. Rhea is Edelgard's enemy in her quest for reform and the slitherers are off to the side. I would love CF to be longer, but they absolutely made the right choice with the final boss being Rhea because she's the most emotionally resonant and interesting. Defeating Rhea is a climax, defeating the slitherers is a boring chore.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

In chapter 14 and I'm kind of burned out on the game. I feel like part 1 should be a bit shorter because at least for Golden Deer, a lot of it feels like padding.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm replaying on Maddening now and I think this might be a one-time thing. I just finished the fog map with Lonato and the big stat discrepancies have resulted in a large large number of absolutely infuriating game-losing misses at 80% accuracy without really any significant tactical options to overcome them (80% with using a skill, otherwise like 60% with the enemy not even on a forest). I was originally trying to save both of the mercenaries that come with you for the reward but when I realized I was in a good position to win the map and one of them got oneshot crit in the fog I just said gently caress it.

Maddening has been pretty fun for me on NG+ but I don't think I'll ever do it on a fresh NG. Maddening NG+ is close to (maybe a little bit harder than) the mythical "difficulty between Hard and Maddening" that I've been wanting, if only because of the boost you can get in the early game from carried-over battalions.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

In chapter 14 and I'm kind of burned out on the game. I feel like part 1 should be a bit shorter because at least for Golden Deer, a lot of it feels like padding.

I suspect that's because Golden Deer is mostly just there for the ride. It has the most lore reveals but none of the characters are tied to the overall plot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

lunar detritus posted:

I suspect that's because Golden Deer is mostly just there for the ride. It has the most lore reveals but none of the characters are tied to the overall plot.

Hey, they have Lysithea!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zore posted:

Hey, they have Lysithea!

I had Lysithea deal the finishing blow to Edelgard and...some of the exchanges in this game are really good. That was one of them.

But really, as far as I've seen, the best VA is Dorothea's. She just hits every note, and her dialogue during the war is just loving heartbreaking.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

AlternateNu posted:

I had Lysithea deal the finishing blow to Edelgard and...some of the exchanges in this game are really good. That was one of them.

But really, as far as I've seen, the best VA is Dorothea's. She just hits every note, and her dialogue during the war is just loving heartbreaking.

The line Dorothea has after chapter 16 of AM/VW if you've recruited her and not Ferdinand was just too much for me. I'll never not recruit Ferdinand again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Well Manicured Man posted:

The line Dorothea has after chapter 16 of AM/VW if you've recruited her and not Ferdinand was just too much for me. I'll never not recruit Ferdinand again.

She's quite mean to him on the battlefield, though, if you have them fight. She mocks him for losing his spine and becoming Edelgard's lapdog.

The battlefield chat that really hurts with Dorothea is if she fights Manuela.

"So, are you ready to kill me for what you believe in?"

"No... but let's get this over with."

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 26, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The best is Shamir vs Catherine.

Shamir: Hello, Catherine. I always knew this day would come.
Catherine: What a coincidence, so did I. It seems that now we have no choice. We have nothing in common. Not our backgrounds, not our beliefs.
Shamir: Not the way we lived... or the way we'll die.

:black101:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Eimi posted:

That's entirely backwards. What Edelgard hates is the crest system that lead to Fodlan being how it is, a system that was instituted and ran by Rhea. Rhea is Edelgard's enemy in her quest for reform and the slitherers are off to the side. I would love CF to be longer, but they absolutely made the right choice with the final boss being Rhea because she's the most emotionally resonant and interesting. Defeating Rhea is a climax, defeating the slitherers is a boring chore.

The issue I have with this is that supposedly the Slitherers forced Edelgard to start the war and she never had the option to reform the Empire without invading the other two countries. Yet she never really does anything to wrest control back from them. They're treated as being strong enough to control her but weak enough to be casually disposed of offscreen.

I agree that Rhea is the best choice for the final boss but I think that the Slitherers needed something more given their apparently crucial role in the story. I also didn't like the way Edelgard invaded the Alliance since they were not her enemies. That part felt contrived to me.

Maybe they could have solved both of these issues by having Hubert find out the location of the Slitherer base, causing them to move into Alliance territory. The Alliance could see this as an act of aggression and start a fight with them to give the player a reason to fight the Golden Deer students. Then, after Edelgard kills the Slitherers and has full control of the Empire, she could go take out Rhea.

Really though if they had more time to improve the story, Verdant Wind needed it more, to be its own story instead of an alternate version of Silver Snow.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Genovera posted:

The issue I have with this is that supposedly the Slitherers forced Edelgard to start the war and she never had the option to reform the Empire without invading the other two countries. Yet she never really does anything to wrest control back from them. They're treated as being strong enough to control her but weak enough to be casually disposed of offscreen.

I agree that Rhea is the best choice for the final boss but I think that the Slitherers needed something more given their apparently crucial role in the story. I also didn't like the way Edelgard invaded the Alliance since they were not her enemies. That part felt contrived to me.

Maybe they could have solved both of these issues by having Hubert find out the location of the Slitherer base, causing them to move into Alliance territory. The Alliance could see this as an act of aggression and start a fight with them to give the player a reason to fight the Golden Deer students. Then, after Edelgard kills the Slitherers and has full control of the Empire, she could go take out Rhea.

Really though if they had more time to improve the story, Verdant Wind needed it more, to be its own story instead of an alternate version of Silver Snow.

Well a lot of this is understated but the political situation in the Empire on CF vs non CF is vastly differently. Hubert isn't able to just take out the corrupt ministers like he can in CF, notably Ferdinand's father is still in power on non CF routes. In CF Edelgard's coronation has more legitimacy thanks to Byleth being there, and her actions against the ministers are different thanks to having the support of their children. While Caspar and Linhardt's dads are rare non assholes, they are much more loyal if their kids are on their side. As well the biggest x factor is Byleth herself. Having someone with the crest of flames and the sword of the creator is a weapon the Slitherers didn't want her to have, and gives Edelgard much more leeway to act independently since the sword of the creator in the lore is ridiculously powerful, notably Claude wants to use it smash an entire mountain range.

Basically in CF Arundel's outward facing political position is much, much weaker, while Byleth is able to privately protect her from their bullshit.

As for fighting the Alliance, they do side with the Church formally, and they aren't neutral as much as not actively fighting. It's the basic situation of not wanting to push on two fronts, and the Alliance front would be vulnerable if she pushed into the Kingdom and left them there. It's realpolitik that makes sense, and Claude could've avoided if he either openly sided with them or didn't have the sneaky reputation he built for himself.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Honestly the biggest thing with the slithers and edel that bugs me:

The girl knows they're a bunch of untrustworthy evil gits bent on world domination that will absolutely kill her when convenient. And yet in not a single route does she question their word that the church is behind the crest system. She never finds out they invented that poo poo, it's goofy as all hell and a big part of why the slithers lack of resolution in CF bugs me. Killing rhea meant jack poo poo if the slithers are running around infusing people with blood to start things anew

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

The girl knows they're a bunch of untrustworthy evil gits bent on world domination that will absolutely kill her when convenient. And yet in not a single route does she question their word that the church is behind the crest system. She never finds out they invented that poo poo, it's goofy as all hell and a big part of why the slithers lack of resolution in CF bugs me. Killing rhea meant jack poo poo if the slithers are running around infusing people with blood to start things anew

She has a reason for that

Since the first Emperor was crowned by Rhea, the story of crests and dragons from their perspective is passed down the Imperial line and kept as a closely guarded secret. So she has the origins of crests independent from the Slitherers or the Church, and it's that origin she thinks is correct. It's a big part of why despite her being horribly tortured BY the Slitherers, when she wants to fix the world she fixates on Rhea.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Eimi posted:

Well a lot of this is understated but the political situation in the Empire on CF vs non CF is vastly differently. Hubert isn't able to just take out the corrupt ministers like he can in CF, notably Ferdinand's father is still in power on non CF routes. In CF Edelgard's coronation has more legitimacy thanks to Byleth being there, and her actions against the ministers are different thanks to having the support of their children. While Caspar and Linhardt's dads are rare non assholes, they are much more loyal if their kids are on their side. As well the biggest x factor is Byleth herself. Having someone with the crest of flames and the sword of the creator is a weapon the Slitherers didn't want her to have, and gives Edelgard much more leeway to act independently since the sword of the creator in the lore is ridiculously powerful, notably Claude wants to use it smash an entire mountain range.

Basically in CF Arundel's outward facing political position is much, much weaker, while Byleth is able to privately protect her from their bullshit.

So in CF did Edelgard choose to start the war of her own volition, or was it still because of the Slitherers despite their reduced influence? If they still caused the war, how did she regain control from them, if she wasn't able to stop the war but was able to take over later on?

Honestly I wish they had just not included the Slitherers at all and had Edelgard own all of her choices, both bad and good.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FoolyCharged posted:

Remember she's not taking their word for it. She operating under the secret history the Emperors have passed down from parent to child, which is different than the Slithers account. This also means she knows crests come from dragon blood, and that Nemesis and the Ten Elites (whether they had good intentions or were just using it as propaganda cover for their greed) were attempting to overthrow dragon rule. But it's irrelevant that crests originally came from blood drinking. What matters is that in the present day the Church and the whole social system is based on the doctrine of crest supremacy. In fact Edelgard knowing it's all based on a lie gives her even more reason to despise the system.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Genovera posted:

So in CF did Edelgard choose to start the war of her own volition, or was it still because of the Slitherers despite their reduced influence? If they still caused the war, how did she regain control from them, if she wasn't able to stop the war but was able to take over later on?

Honestly I wish they had just not included the Slitherers at all and had Edelgard own all of her choices, both bad and good.

The war is coming whether she wants it or not. She's hijacking it to make it about her own ideals, and both Edelgard and the Slitherers want a war, just for vastly different ideals.

And yeah I would have preferred if the Slitherers were just the conspiracy of seven, instead of molemen. I like the agarthans as background lore but they shouldn't have still been kicking.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Genovera posted:

My interpretation is that it's a combination of 1. the Agarthans not getting a foothold in the Kingdom thanks to the Church retreating there, 2. Edelgard's one direct victory against the Agarthans in CF, by which I mean taking out Cornelia at Arianrhod (it seems like the reason they made that trip at all and the reason it was so hush-hush was that the point was to weaken the Agarthans), and 3. and this one is totally just me speculating, but the Agarthans using the javelins of light helping Edelgard and Hubert zero in on their base while they're still in a position of strength and have a chance to do something with this information

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Eimi posted:

The best is Shamir vs Catherine.

Shamir: Hello, Catherine. I always knew this day would come.
Catherine: What a coincidence, so did I. It seems that now we have no choice. We have nothing in common. Not our backgrounds, not our beliefs.
Shamir: Not the way we lived... or the way we'll die.

:black101:

Jesus why not just have Mercedes merc Annette while you're at it. or Hilda axe Marianne.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Jesus why not just have Mercedes merc Annette while you're at it. or Hilda axe Marianne.

Thankfully you cannot have Hilda axe Marianne unless you mean enemy Hilda.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What is Death Knight's interest in Mercedes? He's dead now in the Dimitri run and all he did was express interest in her twice by name but nothing came of it.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

snoremac posted:

What is Death Knight's interest in Mercedes? He's dead now in the Dimitri run and all he did was express interest in her twice by name but nothing came of it.

You can find out in-game but if you really want to know: He's Mercedes's younger brother. If you complete Mercedes's paralogue - which needs Caspar - or recruit her on CF you'll learn more.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Thanks. I never managed to recruit Caspar.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

You say that as though axing Catherine is a bad thing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hellioning posted:

Thankfully you cannot have Hilda axe Marianne unless you mean enemy Hilda.

ah right, I forgot about that. that's one of the grimmest things in the game: if you don't recruit her/play GD, she just doesn't show up in the second half. I suppose either the guy hunting her got to her or she got to herself.

Hunt11 posted:

You say that as though axing Catherine is a bad thing.

I like her with Shamir, not so much on her own.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I like Catherine! So much I even got the s-rank support with her.

So I bought the DLC and I’m now around chapter 7 and just got the four gray wolves. I discovered Constance had a budding talent in brawling and raised it for her, only to notice now that mages can’t use gauntlets apparently? I feel cheated. I thought every class could use every weapon.

Is there any way to get Constance to use gauntlets or unarmed strike while somehow keeping access to her black magic? I’m gonna have to make her a mortal savant or something and invest in swords, brawling and dark magic? I guess I could angle for that new monk class but I’d really rather level her in dark magic rather than faith.

It’s a NG+ CF route and I almost have max professor level, so I could theoretically have her multitask as gremory and swap to that brawler monk now and then, but dang what a disappointing way to find out mages can somehow use bows but not their fists.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

I like Catherine! So much I even got the s-rank support with her.

So I bought the DLC and I’m now around chapter 7 and just got the four gray wolves. I discovered Constance had a budding talent in brawling and raised it for her, only to notice now that mages can’t use gauntlets apparently? I feel cheated. I thought every class could use every weapon.

Is there any way to get Constance to use gauntlets or unarmed strike while somehow keeping access to her black magic? I’m gonna have to make her a mortal savant or something and invest in swords, brawling and dark magic? I guess I could angle for that new monk class but I’d really rather level her in dark magic rather than faith.

It’s a NG+ CF route and I almost have max professor level, so I could theoretically have her multitask as gremory and swap to that brawler monk now and then, but dang what a disappointing way to find out mages can somehow use bows but not their fists.

Noble, Trickster, War Cleric, Mortal Savant.

And a highly doubtful maybe an unhorsed magic class.

Though you're gonna wait Faith anyway.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I guess I’m going to spec her as a war cleric and dip into gremory eventually! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Well whoever said the Dimitri route is the lightest on lore wasn't kidding, though I did like his personal story overall. But yeah, the whole time you're only witnessing the edges of the intriguing stuff going on in the Empire. I don't know why Edelgard became a monster, my merging with the goddess becomes unimportant, Rhea only appears off-screen at the end, nothing arises about Seiros and Nemesis. I thought there'd be a few chapters after defeating Edelgard about these things.
The last few fights are tough on hard. I almost ran out of divine pulses in the last one. The range and damage some late-game mages do is crazy. It's so satisfying taking them out!