Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I was playing some Mania yesterday and i think that game's Lava Reef Act 2 might be my favorite stage in the series from an aesthetic perspective. the cooler colour palette combined with the music is so good

i adore lava reef in s&k and im so glad mania did it so much justice. just fantastic all around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sonic CD (2011) and Mania are tied for best in my book. There was a time when I'd insist 3 was untouchable but the CD port is just my perfect game when I wanna go fast for half an hour (yes I've memorized pretty much every zone in the present and past at least) plus it has a flawless soundtrack and Mania has like 3 weak acts total while 3 has a big chunk that I don't ever really want to play again at this point. Not to mention blue sphere

I still have the smallest hope that we're gonna get a game with all new zones in the same style as Mania but even if we don't Mania made me extremely happy. The first time I beat Lava Reef and noticed Little Planet in the background while the zone transitioned to Metallic Madness was just something else.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

Titanic Monarch is where the level design kinda falls to its worse impulses regarding stage length. I have never died from time in a Sonic game until that stage.

I'm pretty sure I did as a kid in Marble Garden and Carnival Night.

Pants Donkey posted:

Mania would be better than 3&K if it wasn’t 2/3 retreads of older zones.

Yeah probably. Also a bummer that Mirage Saloon is really only half a new zone.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 27, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also since Mirage Saloon is essentially the cut Dust Hill Zone from Sonic 2 fully realized I’m kind of disappointed they didn’t bring back the crocodile badnik shown in that one promo image.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I died from time in Carnival Night 2. Never did in Marble Garden but I could see it happening.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Dabir posted:

I died from time in Carnival Night 2. Never did in Marble Garden but I could see it happening.

Couldn't figure out that barrel, huh?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

Also since Mirage Saloon is essentially the cut Dust Hill Zone from Sonic 2 fully realized I’m kind of disappointed they didn’t bring back the crocodile badnik shown in that one promo image.

Um sir excuse me sir it was actually called Sand Shower, not Dust Hill as we previously thought, sir. Also agreed

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Um sir excuse me sir it was actually called Sand Shower, not Dust Hill as we previously thought, sir. Also agreed

Actually I never heard of that, when was that revealed?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

Actually I never heard of that, when was that revealed?

Oh really? A couple years ago Hirokazu Yasuhara did a presentation about game design and he posted some early documents from S2’s development, including maps from 3 different time periods. The desert area is labeled “Sand Shower Zone,” and there’s a bunch of others that never made it into any version of the game. Dust Hill is on the map but it’s in the same area as Green Hill on the bad future map. It’s hard to tell if it’s actually supposed to be Mystic Cave Sone (which isn’t on any of the maps) or not.

I’ll see if I can find some pics

Edit: Found this article on google that has the images

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dabir posted:

As a kid that would often happen to me. I remember I would occasionally purposefully wait out the clock so I could get a time reset so I wouldn't be trying beat the boss with like 30 seconds.

I don't know what make me take so long though, I'm pretty sure I figured out the barrel pretty early on, and I remember this being like a theme of playing Sonic 3 when I was younger, so it wasn't just once.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh really? A couple years ago Hirokazu Yasuhara did a presentation about game design and he posted some early documents from S2’s development, including maps from 3 different time periods. The desert area is labeled “Sand Shower Zone,” and there’s a bunch of others that never made it into any version of the game. Dust Hill is on the map but it’s in the same area as Green Hill on the bad future map. It’s hard to tell if it’s actually supposed to be Mystic Cave Sone (which isn’t on any of the maps) or not.

I’ll see if I can find some pics

Edit: Found this article on google that has the images

I believe selecting Dust Hill on the level select for Sonic 2 Beta just takes you to Mystic Cave so you’re probably right about that.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Mania isn't perfect but it has much better level design than 3&K imo. Theres so many stages in 3&K that hugely outstay their welcome for me.

I still say if you could swap Sandopolis for Hydrocity then S&K on its own would be my favorite Sonic game hands down. I don't have any nostalgia for Sonic 3 tbh as I played it years after S&K. I think Launch Base was the last classic sonic Zone I learned about because I never saw screenshots of it anywhere. Thats probably because its the ugliest Zone.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sandopolis alone kind of drops S3K down a point for me (especially Act 2 which is one of the few 2D Sonic levels where I actually was in danger of running out of time). Whenever I replay it now I just use Debug Mode and fly through the level until I find the boss arena.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah probably. Also a bummer that Mirage Saloon is really only half a new zone.

Well, Knux or encore mode fixes that.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Sandopolis is one of the few zones I legit cannot remember where any of the special stage rings are. I've looked up guides numerous times and I still cannot find those loving things.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sonic 2 is better than Sonic Mania send tweet

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I want another Sonic Advance, or at least a rerelease or something.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

As a kid that would often happen to me. I remember I would occasionally purposefully wait out the clock so I could get a time reset so I wouldn't be trying beat the boss with like 30 seconds.

I don't know what make me take so long though, I'm pretty sure I figured out the barrel pretty early on, and I remember this being like a theme of playing Sonic 3 when I was younger, so it wasn't just once.

Yeah it wasn't the barrel for me, I think it was the water section at the start and the bit where you have to climb the anti gravity platforms.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Takoluka posted:

Sonic 2 is better than Sonic Mania send tweet

Sonic 2 is the best one so yeah.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Idk, Sonic 2 is a big step up from Sonic 1, but Tails not being able to fly, special stages that you can only really beat through memorization, and a lack of save/level select are weaknesses.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The game takes maybe half an hour to beat. The special stage complaint is valid.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Idk, Sonic 2 is a big step up from Sonic 1, but Tails not being able to fly, special stages that you can only really beat through memorization, and a lack of save/level select are weaknesses.

Sonic 2 does have a level select but it requires entering a code on the sound test.

However, the Sonic Classic Collection version on the DS does let you save your progress in Sonic 1, 2, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic 2 & Knuckles. The save remembers what act you’re on (except S&K for some reason which sticks you back at the start of the current zone instead), how many lives you had and how many emeralds you’ve collected.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Sonic 2 has the worst special stage of all of the 2D games and will never be the best game because of it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've always seen the special stages as "bonus" so never took them into consideration when I rank the games but that's just me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

The game takes maybe half an hour to beat. The special stage complaint is valid.
I mean, as a little kid, no saves was a huge hurdle. I still have vague memories of how much of a journey it felt to reach Metropolis Zone.

Larryb posted:

Sonic 2 does have a level select but it requires entering a code on the sound test.

However, the Sonic Classic Collection version on the DS does let you save your progress in Sonic 1, 2, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic 2 & Knuckles. The save remembers what act you’re on (except S&K for some reason which sticks you back at the start of the current zone instead), how many lives you had and how many emeralds you’ve collected.
Yeah, I don't really count level select codes since S3 had a proper save file system, or even other games of the time would give you a password you could at least write down.

I do wish we could get proper "definitive editions" of the classic 2D Sonics on modern platforms, rather then just a million re-releases of what is essentially just the roms. Like it's so weird of the Retro Engine polish jobs, only Sonic CD got to be on PC & console.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

S3&K special stages ultimately come down to memorization too. You can just kind of bumble around a lot of them and succeed but there are those last few that are pretty much on rails and require perfect execution. I'd put the Sonic 2 and S3&K stages about even and they're both way better than the ones in Sonic 1 and CD.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Oxyclean posted:

special stages that you can only really beat through memorization

Use the pause button.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like S3&K's special stages are still just more playable, there is some lame gotchas, but once you know the basic rules you can figure out a lot of them easily without needing to fail and try again. "Perfect execution" is still a lot more of a reasonable ask then dealing with the way S2 stages play, but that's me.

Like I don't think I've pulled off getting all the emeralds legitimately in Sonic 2. But to be fair, I've played less of it, and unlike S3&K, emeralds & super sonic are more of a bonus, rather then something that gates the final boss.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kaethela posted:

Sonic 2 has the worst special stage of all of the 2D games and will never be the best game because of it.

That’s why the Christian Whitehead version needs to be ported everywhere cause it fixes them by making them actual 3D so you can see what’s coming up.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
if i never have to play a half pipe or another loving blue sphere stage in my life ill be eternally blessed holy balls do those suck

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
im getting pissed about how bad blue spheres is all over again jesus christ

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Blue Sphere actually owns a lot.

E: the best special stages are the nights special stages in SRB2 though

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I can’t wrap my head around any of the blue sphere extra stages in Mania that add more spheres.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The only good special stages are CD and Mania tbh with you fam.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Sonic Rush special stages are much better than Sonic 2, because the stylus controls are a hundred times easier to navigate with and the music kicks rear end.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah the Rush special stages are the only really fun tube ones. And I liked Blue Spheres but it’s gets tiresome after a while, and entirely too hard. Mania has the best special stages.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I remember 3D Blast's special stages being pretty straightforward. I think it's the first game I got all the emeralds in actually.

Of course it's not a True Sonic Game.

I'm also a weirdo and consider Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles totally separate games (I actually never owned 3 but rented it a bunch).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The memorization thing never made any sense to me Sonic 2 is designed to be played multiple times why is it a problem that you have to learn the special stages to get the emeralds.

Like the biggest flaw in Sonic 2 imo is that the final bosses don't give you a chance to learn their patterns because there's no rings. You get hit once then have to try again. Pure memorization. At least the halfpipes don't kick you out the instant you hit a bomb with no leeway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah the Rush special stages are the only really fun tube ones. And I liked Blue Spheres but it’s gets tiresome after a while, and entirely too hard. Mania has the best special stages.

The ones in Heroes weren’t that bad once you figure out the trick (Power characters use less boost energy than the others so just switch to them and hold down the button).

I would also say that the Special Stages in the Saturn (and to a much lesser extent, PC) version of 3D Blast were arguably better than the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I really liked the special stages in Advance 2 and 3 as well. Advance 1 would have been fine if the rings didn't have miniscule hitboxes and if there was any way of telling where they were in relation to you.