Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
The ridiculousness of it all seems just to numb people even more to be honest. It’s more enervating than explosive; it imparts the feeling that public life is an absurd space that you might as well try to ignore

Depressing snipe. I think the Old Testament says Abraham lived to 175?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
blue ticks are definitely not a fancy VIP club for people who are special, which is why when you become a blue tick you get a special tab on your twitter mentions that allows you to only see activity from other blue ticks

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Nassim Nicholas Taleb on centrists:

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1276827649437032448?s=20

(Tweet share is not an endorsement of all of his views! He can be obnoxious.)

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

when’s the next by-election

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

PawParole posted:

when’s the next by-election

Depends where you live! I know next year we have full town council, county council and senedd elections round my way. (The council elections were supposed to be this year).
By-elections round my way usually occur when a town councillor drops dead or resigns after not turning up to meetings for a year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depends also on who dies from the covid :v:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

That's it, cheers!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ThomasPaine posted:

Can anyone remember the name of an article that discussed the way today's centrists often use a similar tactic to historical fascists, in that they deliberately put out ridiculous bad faith garbage that seems ridiculous but serves to discredit the entire discourse - weaponised stupidity and ignorance. I've been looking for it for ages but just cannot for the life of me remember where it was.

not the one you're looking for but this one from david graeber is great because it nails just why nasty and spiteful centrists are

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2020/01/13/the-center-blows-itself-up-care-and-spite-in-the-brexit-election/

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Regarding conspiracies btw, it’s been alarming how quickly a whole lot of people with paranoid schizophrenia have incorporated the 5G thing into the architecture of their delusional beliefs. Culturally-bound aspects of mental illness are fascinating and kinda terrifying - I wonder if the promoters of conspiracy theories realise the impact they have on the lives and functioning of people with psychotic illnesses

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Guavanaut posted:

Right, but you could make the same argument for the UK having it's own special BritSat network, and there's a bunch of Commonwealth countries that could benefit from preferential treatment by it.

The arguments for Britain having one are the same are the arguments for the EU having one, and I don't think either are amazingly persuasive outside of some edge cases and general prestige, not least because:

yeah and its an argument for scotland to have one and for glasgow council to have one but thing is ESA actually went and spent the money and developed one and its up there now innit.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

Could we maybe encourage people to stay in Labour without using neo-Nazi catchphrases?

I mean, that's kind of Vitamin P's thing. Repeatedly. Over and over.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Shogi posted:

The ridiculousness of it all seems just to numb people even more to be honest. It’s more enervating than explosive; it imparts the feeling that public life is an absurd space that you might as well try to ignore
Yeah, I can imagine a lot of people just checking out of politics over this poo poo, it's exhausting.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That most major conspiracy theories have their roots in hippy culture is no coincidence, IMO.
The problem with a lot of the good old 60s conspiracy theories is that they ended up being right.

The War on Drugs was absolutely a war on Black America to get more bodies into the prison-industrial complex for slave labour, even if the people in the middle might have thought they were doing good, the people at the top have pretty much admitted it and the effect is undeniable. The FBI conspired for the downfall (or in some cases the actual murder) of Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Fred Hampton, and Medgar Evers. The CIA did a bunch of illegal poo poo in Latin America. Hell, I'd fully believe that only reason NASA didn't pay Stanley Kubrick to film the moon landing in Canada is because that's not technologically feasible and it doesn't allow you to funnel billions to Boeing and Raytheon to make big rockets that might carry other things for the military-industrial complex.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I always come back to one of HST's best bits of writing, the long coda in the middle of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas that links the two halfs of the book, musing on the ultimate failure of the 60s:
HST is absolutely right though, you can't get a revolution just by piping certain interesting chemicals into the mixed bag of electrochemistry that is the human brain, not least because you have no idea what an individualist revolution in consciousness will produce.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm not sure I've been overall a good poster in this, the serious thread, but I've enjoyed our chats and sharing a common cause with many of you.

:agreed:

bye again everyone

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is it the case then that the area/shape-sizes never represents actual values? I mean I guess that would get tricky anyway with more than 2 circles and you'd have to start getting creative with the shapes
Typically they don't, but it is in many cases possible to draw Venn diagrams where the areas are proportional to value. Often it's easier if you use ellipses, as in this example I pulled entirely at random:

forkboy84 posted:

The venn diagram of people who are pedants about venn diagrams and people who should care less about venn diagrams is just a picture of goatse
What else is mathematics but a formalised system of pedantry?

e: I'm glad Glinner is dead, that pathetic mumsnet whine and the ensuing rejection by their top transphobes is the perfect ending to his posting story.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 27, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

The War on Drugs was absolutely a war on Black America to get more bodies into the prison-industrial complex for slave labour, even if the people in the middle might have thought they were doing good, the people at the top have pretty much admitted it and the effect is undeniable. The FBI conspired for the downfall (or in some cases the actual murder) of Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Fred Hampton, and Medgar Evers. The CIA did a bunch of illegal poo poo in Latin America. Hell, I'd fully believe that only reason NASA didn't pay Stanley Kubrick to film the moon landing in Canada is because that's not technologically feasible and it doesn't allow you to funnel billions to Boeing and Raytheon to make big rockets that might carry other things for the military-industrial complex.

It wasn't just a war on black america, it was also a war on leftist america. Two for one.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

sebzilla posted:

Who wants to pull together some objectionable quotes from Jess Phillips' bookshelf and demand she be sacked from the Shadow Cabinet?

Well I can see at least one book about a man unleashing a violent and bloody jihad on the galaxy.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

So uh talking of NEC elections have we talked about this?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

This seems... bad. But I'm not really qualified to speak on it, others might be more so (warning, contains standard Guardian trans reporting style).

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/27/stonewall-new-boss-gender-transgender-rights-nancy-kelley

quote:

“There is a lot of debate on the theory of gender and sex, it’s all terribly interesting and there are a million PhD theses to be written about it,” said Kelley, “but for the experience of trans people’s lives to be more positive, and for them to have lower levels of hate crime, better access to health services and more inclusive schools and workplaces, we don’t need people to agree on what constitutes womanhood.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

feedmegin posted:

So uh talking of NEC elections have we talked about this?

Going from First Past The Post to Single Transferable Vote seems like a positive move to me. STV lets you vote for your actual preferred choice, while FPTP forces you to temper that with, "But my preferred choice won't win so I'll have to compromise".

I didn't find any of the arguments the article puts forward against STV to be convincing.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Bobstar posted:

This seems... bad. But I'm not really qualified to speak on it, others might be more so (warning, contains standard Guardian trans reporting style).

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/27/stonewall-new-boss-gender-transgender-rights-nancy-kelley

Sounds kind of patronising and anti-intellectual. Oh terribly interesting I’m sure, for some ivory tower elitists to drone on about lol!!! Doesn’t inspire confidence.

Reading that David Graeber article for the first time since the election aftermath, and it’s still just as loving infuriating. British ‘centrists’ are I think worse than honest fash in their hypocritical insidiousness

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gort posted:

Going from First Past The Post to Single Transferable Vote seems like a positive move to me. STV lets you vote for your actual preferred choice, while FPTP forces you to temper that with, "But my preferred choice won't win so I'll have to compromise".

I didn't find any of the arguments the article puts forward against STV to be convincing.

'The Right are all for it and it is suspiciously being rushed through the instant the Left lost its lock on the NEC' seems reason enough to be concerned.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobstar posted:

My read is that the argument she is making is more "let's get trans people legal recognition and protection first, the culture war can wait" which make some sense to me in that it's going to take a while until all these old bigots in positions of power die off but you can make life a lot better for a lot of people right now just by rewriting a couple of laws.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:hmmyes:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Yes the right are clearly pushing this because they think it will help them, but choosing FPTP because we think it might currently help us has really not gone well for the left. If most Labour members would prefer a rightwing NEC, they should have one, and lefties should either rejoin the party so they can vote, or not be surprised when the votes don't go their way.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bimbofied left at any cost

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

anyone got any links to the tweets that showed glinner was hitting on transpeople in DMs? I can't recall where I found them last

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Dabir posted:

Unofficially, having a blue tick seems to come with a range of behind the scenes benefits, including your reports being more likely to be followed up on and a near immunity to punishment except under the most egregious circumstances.

To demonstrate this, there's a bot that copies Donald Trump's tweets verbatim which has been suspended multiple times for breaching twitter's rules.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, anything that democratises the party is good. Left-wing NEC candidates can not rely on institutional support.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Oh dear me posted:

Yes the right are clearly pushing this because they think it will help them, but choosing FPTP because we think it might currently help us has really not gone well for the left. If most Labour members would prefer a rightwing NEC, they should have one, and lefties should either rejoin the party so they can vote, or not be surprised when the votes don't go their way.

True. I suppose, as Ronya has pointed out, we have OMOV for leadership elections because the Right thought it would lock out the Left forevermore. Guess we'll see how it pans out when the election happens.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, anything that destroys the party is good. Left-wing NEC candidates can not rely on institutional support.

Agreed OP

(haha, because changing a word in someone's post before agreeing is the height of comedy)

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Depends where you live! I know next year we have full town council, county council and senedd elections round my way. (The council elections were supposed to be this year).
By-elections round my way usually occur when a town councillor drops dead or resigns after not turning up to meetings for a year.

I live in America currently ( a city that’s been in the news too far lately!) but I was just wondering when the next by-election for parliament is.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

2024 lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

PawParole posted:

I live in America currently ( a city that’s been in the news too far lately!) but I was just wondering when the next by-election for parliament is.

There are non-scheduled. Only get a by-election when an MP has to resign or dies basically. And as none of them have sadly died from covid-19 yet. The next one MIGHT be in Carmarthen East and Dinefwr as last month the Plaid Cymru MP was suspended and had the whip withdrawn after being arrested on suspicion of assault, but not a clue what's happened in that case since.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Desiderata posted:

Well I can see at least one book about a man unleashing a violent and bloody jihad on the galaxy.

Ender's Game, featuring minor Israeli character "Rose the Nose" Rosen. Great stuff.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Jose posted:

not the one you're looking for but this one from david graeber is great because it nails just why nasty and spiteful centrists are

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2020/01/13/the-center-blows-itself-up-care-and-spite-in-the-brexit-election/

Does anyone know of a serious counterpoint to Graeber's argument?
it rings so true and conforms to my own ideas to such an extent I'd like to see the alternative.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sebzilla posted:

Ender's Game, featuring minor Israeli character "Rose the Nose" Rosen. Great stuff.

Also maybe more relevant to Jess Phillips' brief, some dumbass quote about how (most) girls don't get in to Battle School because there are too many thousand years of evolution working against them.

E: what a fun exchange in a book for kids https://twitter.com/jongflrts/status/1274489097617395713?s=19

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 27, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Jesus Labour is pushing this armed forces day thing hard.

Disturbs the poo poo out of me.

sebzilla posted:

Also maybe more relevant to Jess Phillips' brief, some dumbass quote about how (most) girls don't get in to Battle School because there are too many thousand years of evolution working against them.

E: what a fun exchange in a book for kids https://twitter.com/jongflrts/status/1274489097617395713?s=19

Did... I read an edited copy or something? I don't remember either of those passages...

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 27, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gort posted:

First past the post always benefits a two party system and the status quo.

STV has to be better than that. (Said by someone in a country whose electorate is decided by PRSTV.)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What is "eulerdiagrams.org" and why does it keep annoying my anti virus when I come in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Maths is the virus; meet the cure