Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Microsoft has retail stores?

I also had no idea this was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Those stores were great. The best part was all computers sold there were not allowed to have bloatware. I'm sorry to see it go.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

SO DEMANDING posted:

Microsoft of course is not a company circling the drain...but, they are closing all but 4 of their retail stores

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/26/..._source=twitter

That will be yet another vacancy in the malls

I misread the first line as "all 4 of their retail stores".

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I once bought a Surface RT at a Microsoft retail store.

Soon both of these things will be forgotten.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Randaconda posted:

I also had no idea this was a thing.

I used to go and play with the VR sets they had there. It was actually a pretty good store to go in, you could just sit and play around with all their computers, and Xboxes, and the Kinnect/VR stuff. The sales people were never that pushy or anything either. Granted, I think I bought a whole one thing there in the past five years, but I did like checking stuff out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I bought my Xbox one from their store when they were doing some crazy trade in deal so I paid like $150 for it.

This was in Glendale though and it was more of a kiosk not like an actual store.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
My mall has (had?) a Microsoft store, and it was exactly the same as the Apple store. Very brightly lit minimalist interior that makes it stand out among the other storefronts from afar. Clean, plain wooden tables with all the current products on display. If it didn't have the Windows logo instead of the Apple logo, I never would have known it wasn't a secondary/new Apple store.

I'm not sure how they didn't get sued.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
From everything I heard Microsoft Stores were usually close to Apple Stores, making the similarities blatantly obvious, and embarrassingly empty of customers. Presumably Apple was too busy laughing.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

WITCHCRAFT posted:

My mall has (had?) a Microsoft store, and it was exactly the same as the Apple store. Very brightly lit minimalist interior that makes it stand out among the other storefronts from afar. Clean, plain wooden tables with all the current products on display. If it didn't have the Windows logo instead of the Apple logo, I never would have known it wasn't a secondary/new Apple store.

I'm not sure how they didn't get sued.

Yep, it was basically a knock-off Apple store.

Cover up the logos and you'd have a hard time guessing which store was which.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

90s Solo Cup posted:

Forget Microsoft, CASPER has physical stores?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AceOfFlames posted:

Forget Microsoft, CASPER has physical stores?

Wasn't there a whole thing about mattress stores?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I hear they fell flat.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

I hear they fell flat.

boooo

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

One of my local malls had a Microsoft store almost right next to the Tesla store. It was always pretty busy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The mattress industry is always fun to read/listen about.

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/mattress-store-bubble/

There’s a few links on the Casper online mattress war with an online blogger. I think? This is the original article , but I just did a quick google search.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sleepopolis-casper-bloggers-lawsuits-underside-of-the-mattress-wars

It’s amazing. Long story short, Casper went nuts because this online blogger kept a link on his Casper review saying “Lisa is the best mattress click here.”

The good with money was that blogger, he made a killing being the first blogger to review mattresses (especially during said internet bubble) , and however the exact details of the settlement ended, I think he exit it’s a millionaire or close to it.

I remember using his online video reviews when I last looked at mattresses 4ish years ago, and they were pretty good.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

90s Solo Cup posted:

At the Mall of America the Microsoft store was directly across from the Apple store.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

kdrudy posted:

At the Mall of America the Microsoft store was directly across from the Apple store.

I don’t recall that. I thought MS took over the Wizards of the Coast space on the 2nd or 3rd floor, and Apple is somewhere on the first.

Edit: OK, I think they were on an upper floor originally and appear to have moved to the first floor around the corner from the Apple store. Doesn’t matter anyway, why the gently caress go to MOA anyway!?

Boywhiz88 has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Jun 27, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

I don’t recall that. I thought MS took over the Wizards of the Coast space on the 2nd or 3rd floor, and Apple is somewhere on the first.

Edit: OK, I think they were on an upper floor originally and appear to have moved to the first floor around the corner from the Apple store. Doesn’t matter anyway, why the gently caress go to MOA anyway!?

Mall of America is like having a store near Times Square, you do it for bragging rights (not saying it’s as expensive as New York for the cost of store rent though).

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Duckman2008 posted:

Mall of America is like having a store near Times Square, you do it for bragging rights (not saying it’s as expensive as New York for the cost of store rent though).

Never been to MoA and can't imagine traveling 1000+ miles just to see a mall, no matter how gigantic it is.

The mall where I took that shot (Green Hills in Nashville) was practically a ghost town with 2/3rds of the shops either closed or very limited in capacity. The Williams-Sonoma a few shops down was closed unless you actually called the clerk/manager on duty to let you in.

COVID's a hell of a mall killer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
NY isn’t putting malls in the phase 4 reopening for a while, and I’m wondering if it’ll kill the mall near me. I hope not, I enjoy going there to kill some time on occasion.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Microsoft could have made money on that real estate by just admitting that they were minecraft daycares and charging admission.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
Talking of shopping centres

Mall operator already in high debt enters administration.

BBC article posted:

The owner of some of the UK's biggest shopping centres, Intu, has called in administrators.

The firm, which owns the Trafford Centre, the Lakeside complex, and Braehead, said earlier it had not reached an agreement in financial restructuring talks with its lenders.

Its centres will stay open under administrators KPMG.

The company said shares listed on the London and Johannesburg stock exchanges had been suspended.

The significance of Intu's collapse "cannot be understated," said Richard Lim, chief executive of Retail Economics.

The coronavirus lockdown is speeding up a trend towards buying more consumer goods online, he said. He estimates 50% of workers normally can't receive parcels at work.

'Too much retail space'

But with many people spending most of their time at home, and car journeys to shopping centres discouraged, many of those people are now ordering via websites.

How landlords should react is a difficult question and there won't be a simple solution that will work for every mall, he says.

--

Particularly hard-hit will be shops at large office developments like Canary Wharf if more people are working from home.

"It's going to be a really, really tough challenge. There's no getting away from the fact we have too much retail space."

While more retailers and shopping centres are likely to close, landlords can offer shorter, flexible leases, he said, to attract retailers with new ideas.

The firm said it had appointed three administrators at the KPMG accountancy firm and that "the appointment is expected to become effective shortly".

The company was one of the UK's biggest shopping centre groups, with 17 centres in the UK.

In Nottingham, where it owns the Victoria Centre, shoppers said they hoped stores would remain open.

One worker at the local Boots, who didn't give her name, said she didn't know yet whether her shop will be affected. "I think we'll all be worried," she told the BBC.

Intu had been struggling even before the coronavirus outbreak with about £4.6bn worth of debt.

--

According to its annual report, published in March, its debts were worth 68% of its assets, a jump from 53% a year earlier.

It told investors earlier this month that it expected rent collected for 2020 to drop to £310m from £492m a year earlier.

According to Property Week, landlords collected just 18% of commercial rents for the three months to 24 June.

As rent payments dried up and property values fell, its prospects declined.

The company employs 2,500 people and its wider supply chain supports about 130,000 jobs, which will now be in doubt.

Intu's centres were partially shut during the coronavirus lockdown, with only essential shops remaining open.

The company had about 60% of shopping centre staff and about 20% of head office employees on furlough.

Investors in the company's shares will be nursing heavy losses.

Its shares traded as cheaply as 1.2 pence each early on Friday, valuing the company at £16m. It was worth as much as £13bn in 2006.

--

Analysis by Emma Simpson, BBC Business Correspondent:

Intu has a hugely complicated corporate structure.

Although the company's gone into administration, its shopping centres haven't.

They are separate companies owned by a myriad of banks and lenders.

And they've now got the keys. Shoppers aren't likely to notice any real difference in the short term. But buyers will be sought.

The jewel in the crown is Manchester's Trafford Centre, followed by Lakeside.

But Intu's less-popular malls will prove more difficult to sell, especially given the turmoil in retail right now.

Intu is a property business which basically put all its eggs in one basket, buying more malls as shopping habits changed, and it ended up with way too much debt.

Coronavirus then compounded its problems.

Intu's spectacular collapse also highlights the pressures retail landlords are now under given the big slump in rental income from their tenants.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
I'm actually kinda surprised they didn't leave the Toronto Eaton Centre Microsoft store open, you'd think that they'd still want a marketing footprint in the busiest mall in North America. Although I don't know anyone who's going down to the Eaton Centre right now, even though the stores have reopened.

I was actually super surprised to find out how popular the Toronto Eaton Centre is when I googled it just now, more people visit it each year than Central Park or the Toronto Airport :psyduck:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ellspurs posted:

Talking of shopping centres

Mall operator already in high debt enters administration.

Trafford Centre is loving hideous.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If Simon somehow went out of business that would be awesome because they are some of the most evil fucks around. Like oil company and private security levels of evil. But that would be seismic, they're absolutely too big to fail.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If Simon somehow went out of business that would be awesome because they are some of the most evil fucks around. Like oil company and private security levels of evil. But that would be seismic, they're absolutely too big to fail.
I can see it as a possibility though. A bunch of the corporations that rent/lease from them basically told them en masse that they were not paying rent during the pandemic closures. Some even said they were not paying it through the end of the year.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Ofecks posted:

Kings Dominion in VA got a couple of the rides from Geauga, the big one being Dominator. Great coaster, even though they put it in the parking lot.

One of these days, before my savings run out, I'd like to do a small tour of several parks in my region. Namely Carowinds, SF Great Adventure, KI, Cedar Point. Possibly some smaller ones like Kennywood, Hersheypark, Dollywood, Dorney and SFA. I've never been to any of those. Maybe next year, if they're still operating. :ohdear:

carrowins is fun but get fast past no poo poo i saw a 5hr line in oct of last year at noon. they have alot of non rollercoaster stuff to.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Time to repurpose all Chuck E. Cheeses into Five Nights at Freddy’s horror houses

I've been talking about this with my kids: If CEC bought the rights to be FNAF, and made it a, "hey 5-10 year-old kids it's a kinda edgy pizza joint, also parents here's a nudge-wink that taking your kids out to a kids theme restaurant is a brand-recognition horror show," we'd be going at least twice a month.

It's like when 1980s sesame street went all "let's parody hitchcock et al"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sesame Street has had shorts parodying Game of Thrones, Mad Men and such when they were on. Kids are aware of what their parents watch, makes sense to me. (Game of Chairs is also hilarious)

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Just drove by the old site for Metcalf Mall in Kansas, which is now a Lowes (the mall closed down pre-pandemic), I had forgotten that one store on the Mall had bought it's own space so when they tore the mall down that store was left standing.

That store was a Sears. Was.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sesame Street has had shorts parodying Game of Thrones, Mad Men and such when they were on. Kids are aware of what their parents watch, makes sense to me. (Game of Chairs is also hilarious)

It's 90% something to keep the adults at least vaguely engaged, like having Will Arnett have a bit on there as a magician.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hadn't seen Game of Chairs, so thanks for that. Noticing what the chairs are made out of cracked me up. Also "You choked, Joffrey!" :lol:

I liked their Stranger Things parody, Sharing Things. That was spot on.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Any examples of this? Simon owns my local mall and I haven't heard anything bad.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
For some insider information into the store closings: One of my friends was a repair tech for Charles Ensolvent Cheese. They were all told there wouldn't be any store closings for months and then three days later got a loving text message that the store closed that day. They offered him a new position with twice as long of a commute and a 25% pay cut. Understandably, he told them to eat poo poo.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am also surprised that C.E.C. owns Peter Piper. I had a boss whose poor decisions in regards to our funds included monthly staff meetings at restaurants and Peter Pipers was in the rotation. It seemed silly to have meetings there but we were able to do it and the food was decent enough. I remember as a child the atmosphere inside Chuck E Cheeses was way more wild.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rick posted:

I am also surprised that C.E.C. owns Peter Piper. I had a boss whose poor decisions in regards to our funds included monthly staff meetings at restaurants and Peter Pipers was in the rotation. It seemed silly to have meetings there but we were able to do it and the food was decent enough. I remember as a child the atmosphere inside Chuck E Cheeses was way more wild.
Is that a regional chain

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Charles Entertainment Cheese

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
After 47 years, in Phoenix AZ, the mall Metrocenter is closing for good. I think they gutted every anchor store years ago, and Walmart put in a large store where Macy's used to be, but even that couldn't save it.

drat. 20 years ago I remember going there after school or on weekends and there was no parking, the food court was crammed, no store didn't have customers crammed inside. 15 years, less. 2008 started the death bell.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is that a regional chain

I think so, it's at least in Phoenix and Tucson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Volmarias posted:

It's 90% something to keep the adults at least vaguely engaged, like having Will Arnett have a bit on there as a magician.

It’s those bits that make me hate the show less when I hear “Plan the play then play the plan, if you can do it anyone can...” for the 30th time.