Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Glad I went back and rethought the terradons. I think these ones turned out much better!

I even figured out the markings (eventually)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I've also finished up the Space Marine Heroes series 3 plaguecaster:

I've since filthed up his prayer strip thingies quite a bit, but aside from that I'm pleased - I'd probably make the wood on his staff a bit lighter in retrospect. Apparently, though, "massive amounts of maggots" is a for-real squick factor for me, so parts of him were a bit of a challenge to paint...

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Giant Ethicist posted:

I've since filthed up his prayer strip thingies quite a bit, but aside from that I'm pleased - I'd probably make the wood on his staff a bit lighter in retrospect. Apparently, though, "massive amounts of maggots" is a for-real squick factor for me, so parts of him were a bit of a challenge to paint...

Looks great buddy. Cool scheme

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Glad I went back and rethought the terradons. I think these ones turned out much better!

Thee look great! What a delightful improvement. Glad to hear about progress. The undersides are especially pleasing in contrast to the red tops.

The heads of them do have that weird thing for me where I’m a thumbnail or from far away, they look bad. But up close the heads look great.

Idk why that happens... but it does happen sometimes with miniatures. Maybe it’s just the camera. I’m not being a jerk I just wanted to share :)

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Giant Ethicist posted:

What did you use for the flames?

I’ve been getting some good results with your dark wash plus white dry brush technique using contrast paints. I’m using Nuln for the wash, but I think the results are less striking than your darker wash. I might try adding some ink in the mix.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Giant Ethicist posted:

gently caress that is cool.

I stained some 1:1 size fencing today, the worst kind of work with oils :(

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Anti-Tachyon posted:

I loving love these.

hot rod flames on terradons is now canon

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So i am working on a Viper in a "sea vehicle" theme thing like, it's a space SHIP you know

anyway

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JackMann posted:

Crosspost from the 40k thread.

Man, those are beautiful. How are you doing the eyes? I keep just dotting on moot green, which gives a nice bright effect, but I kinda like your more subtle green.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Liking that green on black ship. Gonna do any barnacles or other hitchhikers?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Now that Disgustingly Resilient is an option, I’ve taken the time to paint my Helbrute I’ve been sitting on for years:

Still some detailing and basing left to do obviously but it’s good to get it out of the bin and onto the shelf.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Werix posted:

Man, those are beautiful. How are you doing the eyes? I keep just dotting on moot green, which gives a nice bright effect, but I kinda like your more subtle green.

Aethermatic blue over vallejo chrome. Seriously, I was skeptical of the technique until I tried it, but it's giving really nice results.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Doing a cross post

Harvey Mantaco posted:

SPEAKING OF

made a friend for scorpion warglaive.

ARACHNOTRON

Tried doing a cute jumping spider color thing. Annoying, the graphite lines I used to sketch before painting are showing up as white in the photo but you can't see in person. Weird. I'll need to fix that somehow.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

So i am working on a Viper in a "sea vehicle" theme thing like, it's a space SHIP you know

anyway

I think I'm in love. Did you stipple the green on the black?

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Big Colorful Cat

Album
https://imgur.com/gallery/Nv75EQb

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How long do spray primers last in the can? I've dug up a couple cans of Rustoleum spray primer + paint that havent been used in at least 3 years. Are they still good to use, or should I just buy a fresh can?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How long do spray primers last in the can? I've dug up a couple cans of Rustoleum spray primer + paint that havent been used in at least 3 years. Are they still good to use, or should I just buy a fresh can?

I'm no expert, but I think I remember hearing it depends how they've been stored; If they were in a garage or somewhere that they would have been exposed to freezing temperatures then they are probably done. If you can see the can visibly bulging or corroded then its definitely done. If they've been inside (or you live somewhere it never gets cold enough to freeze I guess?) then they might be okay. Maybe give them a test spray on something you dont much care about? Even seeing how they go onto some plastic from the recycling or something should tell you if its still okay.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JackMann posted:

Aethermatic blue over vallejo chrome. Seriously, I was skeptical of the technique until I tried it, but it's giving really nice results.

No poo poo? I got aethermatic blue. I might try it over my army painter plate mail on the scrab occult terminator I'm working on.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dienes posted:

I think I'm in love. Did you stipple the green on the black?

semi-heavy drybrush that i let streak a little and be a bit random over matte black, then stippled black into the centre parts of the panels

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Gameko posted:

What did you use for the flames?
That's just Nihilakh oxide over white, with a further white drybrush over the top.

Gameko posted:

I’ve been getting some good results with your dark wash plus white dry brush technique using contrast paints. I’m using Nuln for the wash, but I think the results are less striking than your darker wash. I might try adding some ink in the mix.
That's good to hear - I really should experiment with some more out of the pot solutions myself. People ask about how to do it pretty regularly, and having to say "well, mix up some Vallejo Smoke, black ink and matte medium" is probably daunting for some folks.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Other than basing, transfers, and clear coat finished my first scrab occult terminator.

I think they're easier to paint than the rubrics.

This was my first real time trying highlighting. I think I need to use a smaller brush on the other terminators.

I also used magos purple contrast over Army painter plate mail to try and get a an otherworldly feel. I want to maybe use it for the Cape on the sorcerer.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

PierreTheMime posted:

Now that Disgustingly Resilient is an option, I’ve taken the time to paint my Helbrute I’ve been sitting on for years:

Still some detailing and basing left to do obviously but it’s good to get it out of the bin and onto the shelf.

Looks v sexy friend. Helbrutes getting DR is a good time for all papa nurgle's bois.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I basecoated these guys last night in just over two hours.

Now, I only have a compressor but no air tank. The compressor has an auto shutoff feature, so it is constantly turning off and on again as I'm airbrushing.

After concluding my two hours of paintbrushing last night, I noticed that the compressor was super hot to the touch - like, touching it was borderline painful.

Does airbrushing without a tank like this risk overheating the compressor? Or are they just designed to withstand getting this hot and I shouldn't worry about it?

I have a Paasche D500 compressor, for reference.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Geisladisk posted:

Now, I only have a compressor but no air tank. The compressor has an auto shutoff feature, so it is constantly turning off and on again as I'm airbrushing.

After concluding my two hours of paintbrushing last night, I noticed that the compressor was super hot to the touch - like, touching it was borderline painful.

Does airbrushing without a tank like this risk overheating the compressor? Or are they just designed to withstand getting this hot and I shouldn't worry about it?

they look sexy.

as for your compressor question, I have an Iwata Smart Jet Pro and it does the same thing, although I've never checked it's temperature. Surely they are designed with such a feature in mind?

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

The primary function of the tank is to maintain a constant air pressure. My compressor gets hot if i'm airbrushing a lot - it turns off and on when the pressure in the tank starts to dip.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Have an Am-Bot scum.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What's the metal color on the thighs? Also the whole thing looks sick as hell: the weathering, the highlights, the base. All of it is awesome. Great work.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Spanish Manlove posted:

What's the metal color on the thighs? Also the whole thing looks sick as hell: the weathering, the highlights, the base. All of it is awesome. Great work.

Thanks, I used contrast magos purple over leadbelcher in 2 coats. The intent was to somewhat mimic the look of a genestealer since this is a hanger-on for my GSC gang in Necromunda.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Work is slow so I’m taking the time to update my available Death Guard model range to fit the new rules:
Lord of Contagion

Helbrute

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dirty and clean at the same time, I love it.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I might need some more glow

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 29, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I finally got around to painting the alt weapon on the ghostkeel

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's really tricky, fly eyes are faceted like gems.

I'd probably consider stippling the paint with little dots and really sharp contrasts between colors?

I finally found a mini with eyes big enough to give this a try. It's a Chuul.

I think it works pretty well! ... There's nothing like a camera to find every mold line I couldn't detect with the naked eye, though. I need glasses, or a desk magnifier. :saddowns:

I'm the most pleased with the way the Incubi Darkness -> Dryad Bark -> Black -> Camo Green transition on the back chitin looks. I was going for a "blue crab" look and I think that's my favorite part of the mini!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

TheArmorOfContempt posted:

Have an Am-Bot scum.

Holy poo poo that’s sexy.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
painted a wizard rat. originally wanted to do some OSL but ive never done that before and was pretty sure i was gonna gently caress it up

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:piaa: those bases :eyepop:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finally got the Godsworn Hunt done

Wasn't really sold on them at the beginning but they grew on me

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

jesus WEP posted:

:piaa: those bases :eyepop:

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Nebalebadingdong posted:

painted a wizard rat. originally wanted to do some OSL but ive never done that before and was pretty sure i was gonna gently caress it up

With your style I don't think you need OSL at all. Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm now officially on holiday but cant go anywhere or do anything, so yesterday I painted some stuff that I'd had sitting around for ages.

The Ashen Core. It has a area of effect around it that causes damage, so I figured skulls were the way to go:

The Dust Storm:

And Ashes & Dust, the monster made by combining the other two. These felt like they should be deserty, so I dug a cactus out from the basing bits:

Those are the last models I own that have the "Amalgam" keyword (I dont have any necropunks or Marlena Webster). I dont really see how they fit in with the rest of the models thematically tbh, and didnt think a living dust storm would work with the lab theme (also, full disclosure, I didnt have any 40mm lab bases to hand even if I wanted to). most of the other models were painted quite a while ago, and I'm happier with the results on these than I am I with the rest of the crew, but heres the group shot (the abominations are a mix of 4 of the 2E plastics and 4 1E "Steampunk Abominations");

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 30, 2020