Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Grim Dawn is a lot more viscerally satisfying. It also adds more a fair bit more depth to character builds with the constellation system. I'd recommend it over Titan Quest for somebody who hasn't tried either.

All that said, Titan Quest has gotten a lot of updates and expansions. It's still a solid ARPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
a little while ago someone linked videos of a game where you play a little blob monster navigating through the ruins of a laboratory and have to fight bosses that look like they wouldn't out of place in a contra game. this sound familiar to anybody?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Slime-San maybe?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/473530/Slimesan_Superslime_Edition/

Orv
May 4, 2011
E: Am wrong, beaten

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

a little while ago someone linked videos of a game where you play a little blob monster navigating through the ruins of a laboratory and have to fight bosses that look like they wouldn't out of place in a contra game. this sound familiar to anybody?

MO: Astray, probably

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

MO: Astray, probably

that's the one!

checked a couple clips of it and thought to myself "there is no reason they had to go this hard"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've had Grim Dawn on my list for a while now, and while it is only $5 the 'definitive edition' is closer to $30. Is the DLC good/worth it? How does Titan Quest compare?

It's made the same developers and has very similar systems to Titan Quest, but I'd say Grim Dawn is better across the board. Except for the setting, the weird 19th century post-apocalypse is interesting but not as fun as a world tour of mythology.

The DLC is absolutely worth it, except for maybe the Crucible, which is just a horde mode thing. Ashes of Malmouth adds a huge new area and a new class, and Forgotten Gods adds a smaller new area, a new class, and also a ton of new items and sets. If you only get one, get Forgotten Gods, the new area/story stuff can be accessed any time, not only after the main campaign, and the other stuff that was added is way more impactful.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

that's the one!

checked a couple clips of it and thought to myself "there is no reason they had to go this hard"

I like the art but couldn't get over the way you're supposed to manually aim all your jumps, yet still do it about as quickly as a regular platformer

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Am I right in recalling that the DLC for EDF5 is unnecessary?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Oh nice, you apparently only get one $5 discount for the entire sale. Thanks for nothing, Steam. t:mad:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

The equipment DLCs are all useless past early Easy campaign and can be disregarded, although the Pure Decoys are hilarious.

There are two mission packs that are each 15 missions long or so, and meant to be more challenging than the base game. The second pack also has a bunch of bullshit OP endgame weapons that can drop in Inferno.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Does that screw up the bosses in any way? I've been thinking about revisiting the game but don't want to get my face pushed in by like nine of those Act 1 cave snake lady bosses.

It does mess with some of the minbosses yeah, you can just switch it off when that happens.

bideojames
Aug 29, 2004

>:3

Jagged Jim posted:

Oh nice, you apparently only get one $5 discount for the entire sale. Thanks for nothing, Steam. t:mad:

its p funny to compare it to the Epic sale where you could chain together eligible purchases and keep getting more coupons, i ended up scooping up a ton of games i was interested in after i realized how it worked and *still* have another $14 (:canada:) to use in the next 4 months or so

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey, shoutout to steam for fixing a problem we had in past years - I've been gifting goons via the steam train all over the globe and nothing has been refused due to currency nonsense. It's nice!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Jagged Jim posted:

Ha, that changes my steam sale plans around. I figured you'd get $5 off of every 30+ purchase.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I mean, a flat credit applied in addition to the already discounted games is more than they’ve ever done before.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Jolo posted:

Ha, that changes my steam sale plans around. I figured you'd get $5 off of every 30+ purchase.

That's what I thought too! Welp, time to throw this entire purchasing plan into the bin.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Black Griffon posted:

The decoys (not the Wing Diver) and mission packs are worth the cost. Prevented lots of wipes using anime dancing girls.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Epic had that massive awesome sale as a major loss leader to gain a larger user base and gain ground on steam. It’s why they’re giving away free AAA quality games also hoping you’ll stick with them instead of Steam. I’d be surprised if they did that sale again or offered the high quality free games again, but who knows.

Steam don’t gotta do poo poo (other than their usual sales), cause they’re still the market leader. The fact that they threw us a $5 bone is about the best we can hope for.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, it worked. I have a ton of EGS games now, although I've actually paid for one of them yet.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Between Void Destroyers 2, X4: Foundation and say, Starsector, what is the best game if I want to start with a puny ship and end up with some kind of space 4x?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I would say neither and to go with X3: Albion Prelude instead. In terms of scale and completeness, it's still the best of the bunch. X4 isn't quite the worthy sequel it should have been.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The big thing is that X3: AB is built on several years of post release improvements.

X4 might become an equal over time but it's not there yet.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

This is a really great "splat"-former btw

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

The big thing is that X3: AB is built on several years of post release improvements.

X4 might become an equal over time but it's not there yet.
True. If had to choose between AP and any of those three, AP is just what I would personally say to go with. It's the culmination of years and years worth of cumulative improvements and you can tell the difference. X4 had a somewhat rough start even independently of that, though, and I do not know how well they have managed to make up for that yet. It's a title I would personally recommend that people be cautious about.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Recommendations for action rogue/RPG-ish games like Nova Drift? I really like it, but it's still in early access and the amount of content is still pretty light.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

space marine todd posted:

Recommendations for action rogue/RPG-ish games like Nova Drift? I really like it, but it's still in early access and the amount of content is still pretty light.

Hades is in EA but like 99% complete. They just had a major update which should be the last before going v1.0. It's by Supergiant, so you know it's quality.

Wizard of Legend and Children of Morta are also great

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

space marine todd posted:

Nova Drift is one of my favourite games and got dethroned by The Void Rains Upon Her Heart so maybe try that?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Thanks for the recs!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright, let's do this. Help me cull my cart:

I'm a bit leery of Early Access games, so feel free to shoot those down with a bit more prejudice (and other than Doom Eternal, Satisfactory and Hullbreaker are the most expensive games in there due to regional pricing shenanigans, so if I do get one of those two I'll only get one.)

Other than that I don't really have a budget in mind, just trying to fill the roaring emptiness inside with consumerism as one does.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

bentacos posted:

Traffic Department 2192?

Yes!!! Thank you

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alright, let's do this. Help me cull my cart:

I'm a bit leery of Early Access games, so feel free to shoot those down with a bit more prejudice (and other than Doom Eternal, Satisfactory and Hullbreaker are the most expensive games in there due to regional pricing shenanigans, so if I do get one of those two I'll only get one.)

Other than that I don't really have a budget in mind, just trying to fill the roaring emptiness inside with consumerism as one does.

I'd dump Guilty Gear if you have any MP aspirations as the netcode is utterly awful and Remnant: From the Ashes because it's extremely content slim and wants you to buy DLC to make it close to the game it was promised to be.

Resonance of Fate is also one to be wary of because the port hasn't been patched and has a few nasty bugs that randomly crop up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cartoon Man posted:

Epic had that massive awesome sale as a major loss leader to gain a larger user base and gain ground on steam. It’s why they’re giving away free AAA quality games also hoping you’ll stick with them instead of Steam. I’d be surprised if they did that sale again or offered the high quality free games again, but who knows.

They've done the sale with the $5 coupon 2 or 3 times now, and they've promised to keep free games going until at least the end of 2020. Can't say it'll last forever, but they seem pretty committed to the model for now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I'd dump Guilty Gear if you have any MP aspirations as the netcode is utterly awful and Remnant: From the Ashes because it's extremely content slim and wants you to buy DLC to make it close to the game it was promised to be.

Resonance of Fate is also one to be wary of because the port hasn't been patched and has a few nasty bugs that randomly crop up.

Remnant is a solid 30-35 hours if you go back and get all the loot and everything in the base game like it's intended to do, if you just run straight through it then yeah, it's a bit light.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Infra is good if you like slow, methodical adventure games/walking sims that don't hold your hand.

Resonance of Fate is one of my niche favorites from the PS3/360 era but it expects you to grind a lot to get anywhere, so bear that in mind. However, being able to attach multiple barrels and scopes to your gun is great.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I would add Death of the Outsider to this. It's extremely short and a lot of players of previous game think it's more a last-chance cash-in on the series' good name than anything.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Keep Doom Eternal. One of the best First Person Shooters i've played, it has weaknesses and strengths if you pair it up with doom 2016, but i dont think i can go back to 2016 now, I love how there's twice the amount of enemies and i'm not getting tired of the glory kills ever

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s too bad you can’t use the points to buy coupons like in past sales. I have so many points but don’t really need any cosmetic stuff besides a profile background

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Remnant has branching patch and random levels and bosses so that many playthroughs will be very different, its like beating Slay the Spire Once and saying its all there is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Here's what I'm thinking is going to be my sale purchases

Everything seems pretty well regarded from every time its been mentioned in threads. I know Yakuza 1 is kind of rough around the edges but I had such a blast with Yakuza 0 I'm willing to put up with no autosaving. Maybe some day I'll finally learn Mahjong.