Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

FISH SAUCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have an obscure thing that I am looking for.

My brother lived in a Turkish area of a German city and in one of the grocery shops found a bag of large (1-1.5") white chunks of what I can only describe as Edinburgh rock (albeit harder, slightly less crumbly), flavoured with bergamot. Neither of us has managed to find it since.

Does anyone know what it could be called? Annoyingly I've not been able to find anything related to it through searching because relating it to Edinburgh rock is quite specific - but it was so very similar in texture and composition.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Seconded.

And after you're done using it in your stir fry, also use it in all your other savory dishes. Except for cream sauces I guess.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Arkhamina posted:

Any suggestions to make stir fry more interesting? I'm in a rut, I use ginger, scallion, garlic, garlic/chili paste, tamari, toasted sesame oil, and mushrooms. I have a CSA, so I am just beginning the 'drowning in veg' season. I'm a celiac, so many premade stir fry sauces I have seen have soy sauce (with wheat), and are not an option.
Depends on what you've got on hand and what you're going for, but there are a lot of different flavour profiles you can go for. Garlic + ginger + soy + shaoxing is a super common one, often paired with Sichuan peppercorn. Garlic + onion + oyster sauce + soy is another, and probably closely approximates what most people think of as a generic brown stir-fry sauce. Garlic + fish sauce + soy is the base of a lot of Americanised Thai sauces. Of all the ingredients I've just listed shaoxing rice wine is the only one I haven't seen a gluten-free version of, but I've never specifically gone shopping for gluten free stuff (and lord knows there's no reason why shaoxing should have gluten in it in the first place) so I'd be willing to bet it's out there.

Do you have, or are you interested in obtaining, stuff like fermented black beans, doubanjiang, shrimp paste, &c? Or are you keeping it more to common pantry staples and stuff you can find on generic American grocery store shelves?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Anjow posted:

I have an obscure thing that I am looking for.

My brother lived in a Turkish area of a German city and in one of the grocery shops found a bag of large (1-1.5") white chunks of what I can only describe as Edinburgh rock (albeit harder, slightly less crumbly), flavoured with bergamot. Neither of us has managed to find it since.

Does anyone know what it could be called? Annoyingly I've not been able to find anything related to it through searching because relating it to Edinburgh rock is quite specific - but it was so very similar in texture and composition.
Apparently these are called akide and are a traditional Turkish candy. They come in lots of flavours aside from bergamot, like mint, cinnamon or sesame. Can't vouch for the site but you can buy them online.

Kind of no wonder you couldn't find anything, searching for "Turkish candy" seems to bring up mostly Turkish delight and lokum.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Arkhamina posted:

Any suggestions to make stir fry more interesting? I'm in a rut, I use ginger, scallion, garlic, garlic/chili paste, tamari, toasted sesame oil, and mushrooms. I have a CSA, so I am just beginning the 'drowning in veg' season. I'm a celiac, so many premade stir fry sauces I have seen have soy sauce (with wheat), and are not an option.

Miso paste, gochujang, rice vinegar, corn starch, sugar, fish sauce. Any or especially all of the above.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Now that the announcements are admin-stuck, I've returned this thread to its proper place at the top of the forum.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So lentils were brought up recently. I'm pretty good at beans at this point, but lentils have always been hit-or-miss for me on the texture. What I'm after is like the lentils in like Amy's soup or something similar. Plump and soft interior and relatively soft seed coat. I feel like usually when I cook lentils the interior disintegrates and the skins remain unpleasantly tough. What kind of cooking method should I be going for. Soak/no soak, brining, slow-cooking, boiling, or pressure cooking? Or do I just need to get good lentils to stand a chance?

I'd like to consistently make good lentils, since they're definitely one of the earth-friendliest foods and I'm into that kind of thing.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Eeyo posted:

So lentils were brought up recently. I'm pretty good at beans at this point, but lentils have always been hit-or-miss for me on the texture. What I'm after is like the lentils in like Amy's soup or something similar. Plump and soft interior and relatively soft seed coat. I feel like usually when I cook lentils the interior disintegrates and the skins remain unpleasantly tough. What kind of cooking method should I be going for. Soak/no soak, brining, slow-cooking, boiling, or pressure cooking? Or do I just need to get good lentils to stand a chance?

I'd like to consistently make good lentils, since they're definitely one of the earth-friendliest foods and I'm into that kind of thing.

Lentils are superficially like beans, but if you try to treat them the same, you're always going to wind up with mushy lentils.

Rule 1: Never soak lentils. They go straight into boiling water while dry.
Rule 2: Not all lentils are created equal. Red, Green, Brown, Black - that's the order from shortest cooking time, to longest. Red lentils will almost always be very soft
Rule 3: Don't slow cook lentils unless you want them to be very soft. Just add them to water, bring to a boil, and then cut it to a simmer for the remainder of the cook.

Cook times for colors:

15-18 for Red
18-20 for Green
20-25 for Brown
25-30 for Black

Use broth or stock instead of water to make them tastier.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 27, 2020

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Arkhamina posted:

San-J has a GF hoisin sauce and their GF tamari is really good, if you’re not using those.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You could go korean. Try adding gochujang with the sesame oil and shiitake mushrooms. I like drowning my stir frys with furikake seasoning too.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My Lovely Horse posted:

Apparently these are called akide and are a traditional Turkish candy. They come in lots of flavours aside from bergamot, like mint, cinnamon or sesame. Can't vouch for the site but you can buy them online.

Kind of no wonder you couldn't find anything, searching for "Turkish candy" seems to bring up mostly Turkish delight and lokum.

Thanks, though from what I can see these look more like regular rock (as a Brit I think Blackpool rock) as opposed to the crumbly Edinburgh version. Probably worth a try though because it sounds good either way.

Edit:

This page has suggested that what I'm looking for is peynir şekeri:

quote:

One of the earliest sweets was the pulled sugar stick that in England was known as “pennet” (from the Arabic fanid). Although today this is called “Edinburgh rock” and there is a story about Edinburgh rock being invented by a Scottish confectioner, Alexander Ferguson, this sweet was actually introduced into Europe from the Arab world in the 13th century or even earlier. Turkish records of pennet go back to the 14th century, when this sweet was called stick sugar (şeker-i kalem) or by the name still used today “cheese sugar” (peynir şekeri). In Istanbul in the early 19th century these were made in various flavourings, such as vanilla, rose, orange and cinnamon.
Other sweets introduced into Europe from the East in the medieval period are sugar almonds and marzipan and nougat.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 27, 2020

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Arkhamina posted:

Yeah, as Scientastic says FISH SAUCE.

I tend to do stir fry as a “what’s in the pantry and fridge?” exercise, and don’t think I’ve ever made it the same way twice.

In no particular order:

Szechuan pepper (only a little, it overpowers fast)
Cardamom
Basil (Fresh)
Pineapple juice as a sauce base
Rice vinegar
Pumpkin seeds
Apple and pear
Tempeh
Coriander
Kimchi

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Weltlich posted:

Szechuan pepper (only a little, it overpowers fast)

Coward. :colbert:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

You could go korean. Try adding gochujang with the sesame oil and shiitake mushrooms. I like drowning my stir frys with furikake seasoning too.

a material proportion of gochujang is not gf

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've got an overactive smoke alarm close to my burner. What's a good way to temporarily fix the issue, that doesn't involve my spouse constantly wafting it with a towel. Fan? Shower cap?

My range fan isn't quite strong enough for what I want (290CFM) and I have no way to change it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Take the battery out.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It’s centrally wired

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've got an overactive smoke alarm close to my burner. What's a good way to temporarily fix the issue, that doesn't involve my spouse constantly wafting it with a towel. Fan? Shower cap?

My range fan isn't quite strong enough for what I want (290CFM) and I have no way to change it.

Shower cap is the easiest if you have one but a zip lock bag and a rubber band will do just fine. Just remember to take it off when you’re done

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

In college we would plastic bag masking taped over the unit. That's easiest if you are vigilant about removing it immediately after dinner.

I have a similarly sensitive set of 3 alarms in my new apartment and I'm toying with a design to direct my box fan airflow better, like ducting or a hose attachment.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just remembered that I've had a toaster oven sitting in storage for years, and I never really used it when it was new. Can a toaster oven do anything different/better than a regular oven? I'm trying to do a total inventory of all the kitchen stuff I have now that COVID is forcing me to actually cook, and counter space is at a premium.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's good for when you want to just roast something small without heating up the entire oven, like some sweet potatoes or whatever. You can use a big toaster oven to replace an oven entirely but from having do that in Asia, I can confidently say that they don't do anything better than a real oven. Bread is also extremely hard to do in just a toaster oven.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

On-demand warm cookies (just beware, don't open the door often when baking)

Reheating things which don't do as well in the microwave (sandwiches, fried foods)

Broiling things on the quick

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lester Shy posted:

I just remembered that I've had a toaster oven sitting in storage for years, and I never really used it when it was new. Can a toaster oven do anything different/better than a regular oven? I'm trying to do a total inventory of all the kitchen stuff I have now that COVID is forcing me to actually cook, and counter space is at a premium.
If you're actually making toast, a toaster oven will do that better (and faster) than a full-sized oven. Beyond that, it's mostly speed, ease of cleanup, not heating the entire loving house up, and being able to do something else when you've got something in the full-sized oven. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that I've done with a toaster oven that I haven't also done some other way, but I still use my toaster oven just about every single day for something.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hey dude, if you want your food to taste completely like ticklish metal instead of just a hint of ticklish metal, you go right ahead.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jizr6LR83Kk

https://basicswithbabish.co/basicsepisodes/bread

I want to make the bread in the first half of this video with whole wheat flour instead of all purpose. Also, I do not have a dutch oven. Please help

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

El Generico posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jizr6LR83Kk

https://basicswithbabish.co/basicsepisodes/bread

I want to make the bread in the first half of this video with whole wheat flour instead of all purpose. Also, I do not have a dutch oven. Please help

It's easier to help if you say where you live so we can look up available flight schedules

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Grand Fromage posted:

It's good for when you want to just roast something small without heating up the entire oven, like some sweet potatoes or whatever. You can use a big toaster oven to replace an oven entirely but from having do that in Asia, I can confidently say that they don't do anything better than a real oven. Bread is also extremely hard to do in just a toaster oven.

When I was.in Japan I cooked a 10 pound turkey in a toaster oven. I do not recommend it. I did convert and Australian to liking turkey who hadn't previously though.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i did thanksgiving one year w a whole duck in an xl sized toaster oven and that went over p well

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh yeah I've done those. Thanksgiving duck was much better. With some planning it wasn't too hard to make dinner for 14 in an Asian kitchen with two burners, one toaster oven, and maybe one square foot of counter space.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I've got a pound of zucchini to eat. Only things I can think of are zucchini bread or the standard roast in oil and seasoning. Any recommendations?

Also, I'm looking at going from using a sodastream to using a DIY setup. Does anyone know if there exists a carbonator cap that fits the soda stream bottles? Figured it would be nice to use them as long as I got em.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

captkirk posted:

I've got a pound of zucchini to eat. Only things I can think of are zucchini bread or the standard roast in oil and seasoning. Any recommendations?

You could try stuffing them, there's lots of recipes around, here's one from Ottolenghi.

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2007/sep/22/weekend7.weekend3

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I like making gratin with zucchini.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

captkirk posted:

https://www.koreanbapsang.com/hobak-buchim-zucchini-pancakes/

Zucchini pancakes are a p good way to use up extra

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

captkirk posted:

Also, I'm looking at going from using a sodastream to using a DIY setup. Does anyone know if there exists a carbonator cap that fits the soda stream bottles? Figured it would be nice to use them as long as I got em.

Mücver are Turkish courgette fritters and they're delicious and easy to make

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I like to stir fry zucchini with lots of garlic and ground pork.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

captkirk posted:

Slice thin (like with a vegetable peeler thin) and pickle in rice vinegar. S&P to taste, touch of sesame oil. Easy salad.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

bob dobbs is dead posted:

a material proportion of gochujang is not gf

Thank you for all the suggestions! As noted a huge amount of Korean and in general Asian stuff has wheat. I use San-j a lot but was hoping for more ideas. I just picked up a jar of teenie salted shrimp, and have one brand of Gochujang that is safe. We made our first batch of kimchi last week.

I will be working through options though! I have discovered the magic of 8 minute instant pot rice, so stir fry + kimchi + some sort of protein is my kind of hot weather lazy food.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I like to slice courgettes very thin, brush them with oil and herbes de Provence and barbecue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Zucchini pickles are a thing if you want to preserve some for later use.