Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Fear posted:

I'm in there hi GWS discordigans vonneguts is my name on there

You can change your nick on each server so you can live dual lives :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Love GWS, hate Discord. If we all jump ship to the Bread and Roses thing people have been mentioning then the GWS subforum could have some sort of bread pun. Or whatever other forum everyone settles on is fine. I just very much want Discord to not be the only GWS thing because, again, gently caress Discord.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

If this forum dies, I had to quote my favorite contribution ever to GWS which just happens to be a pr0k's mom joke.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dear god.
But yeah if this ends up moving to BnR, lemme know. I already discord with one of the admins and she's cool. Should we need some subforum name or banner shenanigans.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Dear god.
But yeah if this ends up moving to BnR, lemme know. I already discord with one of the admins and she's cool. Should we need some subforum name or banner shenanigans.

I made an account there. My name is dino on there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

I'm just a lurker dude who hasn't even been lurking around here lately, but you people are all pretty great. GWS was what got me to buy a SA account and I've learned so much from all of you even if I don't cook well anywhere near enough.

Just browsing at the front page and BnR isn't going to be for me (talking about the anti-capitalism stuff, not the anti-racism/anti-neo-nazis/support-LGBT+ stuff). Whether there's a solution here, you move there, or somewhere else I hope you take care.

Mr_Roke fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 25, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Anyone got a BnR invite?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Suspect Bucket posted:

Anyone got a BnR invite?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3929475&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post505985511

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Anyone got a BnR invite?

You shouldn’t need an invite right now - register an account, it’ll probably still ask you to pay after that but just wait. They’re manually (?) approving new registrations without :10bux:, it might just take a few hours before your account gets cleared.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I like to think this announcement in the sticky is about you :3:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

quote:

There have been a lot of questions about offsites and donations for offsites and the future of the forums and what's going to happen to all my shitposts about Guy Fieri and that sort of thing. The short answer is we do not have anywhere for that sort of thing to go at the moment. Yeah the secrecy sucks and is frustrating to everyone, but there should be a solid announcement within a day or so.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
If you have not seen the announcement it looks like Jeffrey of YOSPOS is acquiring SA. Phew!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A few months ago I saw a variety pack of meats from Olympia Provisions on sale at Woot and pulled the trigger. I'd seen some of their operation when Brad Leone from Bon Appetit visited them to learn to make sausage and figured I'd try their wares. It came with a dry salami, chorizo rioja, small cured ham, hot dogs, kielbasa, and bratwurst.

I froze everything but the salamis as my wife's not super into that stuff and I try not to indulge too much, but I've been snacking on them the past week and they are just the best salamis I've ever had. It's honestly like I've never eaten a good dried, cured sausage before. The amount of flavor in just one small slice of each is just incredible. I find myself slicing off little bits even when I'm not hungry and just letting the fat dissolve on my tongue. I can only hope the rest of the stuff I froze is as high-quality. The pack wasn't cheap, but I already know I got my money's worth.

Also, this is not a paid advertisement, I swear. I just needed to tell someone about how drat good this stuff is.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The Midniter posted:

A few months ago I saw a variety pack of meats from Olympia Provisions on sale at Woot and pulled the trigger. I'd seen some of their operation when Brad Leone from Bon Appetit visited them to learn to make sausage and figured I'd try their wares. It came with a dry salami, chorizo rioja, small cured ham, hot dogs, kielbasa, and bratwurst.

I froze everything but the salamis as my wife's not super into that stuff and I try not to indulge too much, but I've been snacking on them the past week and they are just the best salamis I've ever had. It's honestly like I've never eaten a good dried, cured sausage before. The amount of flavor in just one small slice of each is just incredible. I find myself slicing off little bits even when I'm not hungry and just letting the fat dissolve on my tongue. I can only hope the rest of the stuff I froze is as high-quality. The pack wasn't cheap, but I already know I got my money's worth.

Also, this is not a paid advertisement, I swear. I just needed to tell someone about how drat good this stuff is.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. Salami style charcuterie doesn't give enough love ( I know it gets a lot already, but yo. this stuff is really good)

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The Midniter posted:

I went to Olympia Provisions for brunch when I was visiting a friend in Portland. It was the best meal I had there. They do amazing charcuterie (including a stellar, tiny nduja meat pie served hot), but the hero of the plate was the huge variety of pickles. I ordered a Bloody Mary and it came with an entire skewer full of different pickled things - asparagus, radish, pearl onion, green bean, two kinds of cucumber, whole brussels sprout, etc. Each one had a different flavor profile and was perfect in its own way. I asked the bartender if the radishes were fermented or vinegar pickled and she said, "Let me go as our Pickle Master." Yeah, they have a Pickle Master. And he answers questions. And he does fantastic work.

So basically what I'm saying is Olympia is awesome, charcuterie is awesome, pickles are awesome, and I want to travel so loving badly right now.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

If you have not seen the announcement it looks like Jeffrey of YOSPOS is acquiring SA. Phew!

How embarrassing, that of all the unlikely saviors, it’s YOSPOS.

Olympia, I for whatever reason have never liked their wares, though I’m always trying new things. I guess I have to start making my own fermented meat products to be truly happy.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

bartolimu posted:

I went to Olympia Provisions for brunch when I was visiting a friend in Portland. It was the best meal I had there. They do amazing charcuterie (including a stellar, tiny nduja meat pie served hot), but the hero of the plate was the huge variety of pickles. I ordered a Bloody Mary and it came with an entire skewer full of different pickled things - asparagus, radish, pearl onion, green bean, two kinds of cucumber, whole brussels sprout, etc. Each one had a different flavor profile and was perfect in its own way. I asked the bartender if the radishes were fermented or vinegar pickled and she said, "Let me go as our Pickle Master." Yeah, they have a Pickle Master. And he answers questions. And he does fantastic work.

So basically what I'm saying is Olympia is awesome, charcuterie is awesome, pickles are awesome, and I want to travel so loving badly right now.

Thanks for reminding me that I had a can of good quality banderillas picantes around, just as I was craving a snack.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

now that sa is looking like it is sticking around, let me rescind the post where I said i didnt actually sleep with pr0k's mom and let everyone know that her nickname for me was "pickle master"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SubG posted:

If the forums somehow survive this, I'll never make another pr0k's Mom joke again.

I think this should be forgiven as made in a state of emotional duress.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Eat This Glob posted:

now that sa is looking like it is sticking around, let me rescind the post where I said i didnt actually sleep with pr0k's mom and let everyone know that her nickname for me was "pickle master"

given that lowtax's current status seems to be "This is all a lying scam and I'm going on a right-wing MRA podcast to prove it" let's wait and see if he bothers selling

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Eat This Glob posted:

I heard it was more of a cornichon

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Grand Fromage posted:

I think this should be forgiven as made in a state of emotional duress.
Nnnnnnnope. KInda the opposite. I didn't say it as a sort of bargaining with fate kind of thing, which I don't do. But more of a holy poo poo we're in the middle of a forum-wide discussion about domestic abuse and here I am making I hosed your Mom jokes. I don't want to be that guy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Nnnnnnnope. KInda the opposite. I didn't say it as a sort of bargaining with fate kind of thing, which I don't do. But more of a holy poo poo we're in the middle of a forum-wide discussion about domestic abuse and here I am making I hosed your Mom jokes. I don't want to be that guy.

But she likes it!

I was just writing in CineD about your excellent film posts.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

SubG posted:

Hey SubG I think that’s a very reasonable and welcome take on it; at some point we have to retire even the most storied of jokes when it’s obvious they punch down- see “dead g*ay forum” and the end of FYAD.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

mediaphage posted:

given that lowtax's current status seems to be "This is all a lying scam and I'm going on a right-wing MRA podcast to prove it" let's wait and see if he bothers selling

...yikes

Scientastic posted:

I heard it was more of a cornichon

buddy, i was doing jump squats trying to touch top and bottom. it ain't the size of the gherkin - it is the barrel of brine it soaks in

e: that said, subg's point is well taken

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I don’t agree. Pr0k’s mom jokes aren’t punching down. I believe that he even told her about them and she was amused. And by this stage the joke is so far removed from a reference to a real person that it’s more of an abstract reference than anything else.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

I don’t agree. Pr0k’s mom jokes aren’t punching down. I believe that he even told her about them and she was amused. And by this stage the joke is so far removed from a reference to a real person that it’s more of an abstract reference than anything else.

Sure, context is everything, but what about the people who haven’t been posting here for a decade or more who are seeing grossly misogynistic humor propagated and tolerated by the old guard?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bloody ghost titty posted:

Sure, context is everything, but what about the people who haven’t been posting here for a decade or more who are seeing grossly misogynistic humor propagated and tolerated by the old guard?

Hmm. You may have a point.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Hmm. You may have a point.

Also it’s flat out funnier as an allusion or Easter egg (something something cloaca joke).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The joke is dead. It's not funny anymore because it's whipped out when someone can't make up a witty joke.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Croatoan posted:

whipped out

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Before we lose it all does anyone have a link to the original chickencheese thread?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Before we lose it all does anyone have a link to the original chickencheese thread?
Chickencheese Thread: Lemme peep dat chickencheese

If you ever lose the link again, it's in the saclopedia.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Also theoretically the forums are saved. Read the sticky by Jeffrey from YOSPOS

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jeff kinda sucks though, not as bad as Lowtax. But he was part of the "save fyad!" faction which is pretty lame.

Jesus this thread has been going for 8 years. Anyone got the Chili Saga thread link saved?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Also theoretically the forums are saved. Read the sticky by Jeffrey from YOSPOS

yeah we just talked about this like five posts up. i'm not convinced of anything until / unless contracts are signed. even then....eh.

all the stuff that's coming out about mods enabling and covering up abuse - when i read SA i definitely stuck mostly to bookmarks so i didn't know about any of this poo poo - there needs to be at least some kind of restructuring, i think, for a lot of people to feel comfortable sticking around.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they whacked burt sexual, dunno if / when they're whacking renee

the only thing that makes sa better than other boards is the actual capability that it has to get better because bans mean something here, theres just this terrible litany of turbofuck insane people who have eaten a ban and not come back

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the only thing that makes sa better than other boards is the actual capability that it has to get better because bans mean something here, theres just this terrible litany of turbofuck insane people who have eaten a ban and not come back

ish, he should be perma'd and also he's still listed as a mod last i checked. obv things are a bit in flux at the moment, so we'll see if this goes any further, but he's not the only one who's made some sketchy decisions.

also as has been mentioned in the thread in gbs a few times now, the idea that mod sass is probatable or worse, depending, is one of the worst administrative things about this entire forum. it's absurd, since it stifles necessary criticism (i'm sorry, i will forever maintain whirled peas as one of the worst things to happen to gws).

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Minor contention, the admin is named Reene, not Renee, because that's my name. I've had one person get confused and be like "Hey they're saying you're a sexpest!" when it was a post about admin Reene, not me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ah poo poo sorry

e: theres a qcs thread now about what the mods and admins knew