Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly I'll be sad if some of the great effort posts about the Alien franchise get nuked (from orbit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Honestly I'll be sad if some of the great effort posts about the Alien franchise get nuked (from orbit).
Donate to Internet Archive - it's the only way to be sure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

When the protagonist is a villain their winning isn't uplifting (this isn't a judgment on the quality of the films). The ending of Hereditary is treated as triumphant but that magnifies the horror.

David is my hero

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Walter was the hero rip.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was also a good boy, rip as well

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I'm disappointed that Neil Bloomkamp will never get to make his Aliens movie and we will never see Sharlto Copley as Carter Van Der Beerk.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I can believe that a lower-class person like a trucker can be undeserving of life, but you’re telling me that a millionaire president and his entire staff would be disastrously incompetent? Well that’s just a bridge too far!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

(Ripley is standing over some sort of alien corpse)
Ripley: this doesn’t make sense. It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen.
(A hooded figure enters from behind)
Figure: Perhaps I can be of some assistance
(Removes hood and it’s David)
(Ripley is confused)
David: you see, this corpse needs blood to reach its full potential. Human blood.
(Another hooded figure has entered behind David while he spoke)
Figure: I’m afraid that’s easier said than done)
(Removes hood and it’s bishop)
(Ripley smiles)
Ripley:Bishop!
(Bishop nods)
Bishop: Ripley
(David is confused)
David: Bishop?
(Bishop nods)
Bishop: bishop
(Bishop Ripley and David have a threesome on top of the alien corpse)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

oldpainless posted:

(Ripley is standing over some sort of alien corpse)
Ripley: this doesn’t make sense. It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen.
(A hooded figure enters from behind)
Figure: Perhaps I can be of some assistance
(Removes hood and it’s David)
(Ripley is confused)
David: you see, this corpse needs blood to reach its full potential. Human blood.
(Another hooded figure has entered behind David while he spoke)
Figure: I’m afraid that’s easier said than done)
(Removes hood and it’s bishop)
(Ripley smiles)
Ripley:Bishop!
(Bishop nods)
Bishop: Ripley
(David is confused)
David: Bishop?
(Bishop nods)
Bishop: bishop
(Bishop Ripley and David have a threesome on top of the alien corpse)

I will go to the theater to see this

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Forget Nemesis or Lifeform, an actual Aliens board game is coming.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 29, 2020

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

How do their other games play? Wouldn't be the first time a garbage company got a good license.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Spartacus is fun and prob the only game they have worth a poo poo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

AvPClassic is $1.25 on Steam right now, anyone who doesn't have it and wants to play it has no excuse not to pick it up. :colbert:

In fact, the next 4 people who want it, PM me your Steam details and I'll hook you up. Note: please only take advantage of this offer if you actually intend to play the game.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Marvel got the Alien and Predator comic rights from Dark Horse. I am ready for the AVP vs StarWars / AVP vs Marvel Universe.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:vince:

That would actually be dope.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmfao hell yes

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I pity the Predator who sets his sights on Darth Vader

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

brocked posted:

Jedi Master *guttural clicking sounds*

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Definitely going to be keeping an eye out for the Green Lantern/Predator and Batman/Alien toys now, because you’ll never see those crossovers again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

brocked posted:

Would Darth Vader die from being chestbursted? What follows is my 15,000 word essay...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Have you guys seen the aliens 40th anniversary toys? they look like incredibly cheap knockoffs, like even more off model than the old 90s figures, but then they have a decently accurate looking APC.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Alien-Xenomorph-Swarm-Xenomorph-Warrior-With-Figure/117559646

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 4, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re meant for kids. They look cute but they’re just a bit too lovely for me

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Kids that watch almost 40 year old R-rated movies

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean you’re acting like they didn’t make kids toys for Aliens before

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

CelticPredator posted:

but they were.supposed to have a tie in anime! this is just cheap knock offs for an R rated movie lol.

I had all the old toys and these are so much shittier

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah that’s the company. They’re weirdly cheap. They’ve done figures for Kong Skull Island, Rampage, Jumanji (double rock sculpt), and now Top gun.

Alien makes sense. Aliens are fun villains for kids to fight. Idk.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

i mean, back when they did that before, Alien was a really hot IP that the vast majority of kids would have at least heard of in some form, even if they hadn't straight-up seen Aliens on VHS or TV (or, hell, in theaters if they had cool parents).

however, there's been a grand total of four Alien movies made this century. AVP, AVP Requiem, Prometheus, and Alien Covenant. the one that did the best out of those, by a fairly wide margin, is the one that did not have the word "Alien" in its name. if kids of 2020 know the franchise at all, it's through video games, and... let's be honest here, the situation on that front has been dire as gently caress for years too. Alien Isolation is good, and probably the thing with the best odds of having kids recognize it simply because so many facecam youtubers have played it, but Colonial Marines is awful.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jerkface posted:

Have you guys seen the aliens 40th anniversary toys? they look like incredibly cheap knockoffs, like even more off model than the old 90s figures, but then they have a decently accurate looking APC.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Alien-Xenomorph-Swarm-Xenomorph-Warrior-With-Figure/117559646

Man I was like, "NECA quality sure has gone down the shitter." I forgot that other companies make Alien Figures.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jerkface posted:

but they were.supposed to have a tie in anime! this is just cheap knock offs for an R rated movie lol.

I had all the old toys and these are so much shittier

The Aliens cartoon is a myth

https://youtu.be/4DZAn7XB4NM

I have these new toys (because of course I do) and the human figures are trash but the Aliens are actually pretty nice for what they are, especially the Runner. They’re more solid and poseable than they look at first glance, and the sculpts are actually pretty good for kids’ toys.

The APC is pretty neat and can seat a couple dudes, and the loader and motorcycle are pretty cool. Like, there’s a ton of little details where it’s clear that the designers watched the movies and then made conscious design decisions to change stuff to make it more “kiddy”, like the numbering on the vehicles, the WY dude looking like the commandos from Alien3, the little guns being like pulse rifles and smart guns but not quite, you can tell that someone had a good time messing with “film accuracy”.

If you wanted to get kids interested in Aliens at a young age, you could do way, way worse. I think they’re hilarious - they’re not ironically retro toys aimed at adults, they’re genuine Aliens children’s toys aimed at 7-10 year olds at a price point a kid could afford with their allowance, in TYOOL 2020.

I got drawn into the Alien franchise by the toys when I was 9, if these new toys somehow get a new generation of fans interested in the movies then I’m all for it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Same. Ain’t nothin wrong with kids watching aliens. It rules.

The aliens do look very nice and maybe I might pick up a set when it’s a bit cheaper. But the humans just look so iffy. Kind of a shame

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

sigher posted:

Man I was like, "NECA quality sure has gone down the shitter." I forgot that other companies make Alien Figures.

NECAs quality has always been kinda iffy to begin with tho. Every alien I have from them has some kind of issue with bent or warped legs right out the box.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

The Aliens cartoon is a myth

https://youtu.be/4DZAn7XB4NM

I'm at work and phoneposting so I haven't watched the video, but isn't that kind of an oversimplification? If I remember correctly Operation Aliens was absolutely a thing in the works, and just got scuttled before they could make more than a pitch reel.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I'm at work and phoneposting so I haven't watched the video, but isn't that kind of an oversimplification? If I remember correctly Operation Aliens was absolutely a thing in the works, and just got scuttled before they could make more than a pitch reel.

The video says that a cartoon was Kenner’s idea and they floated it to Fox, but the studio rejected it before it was ever more than an idea. The animation stills you see online are from unaired commercials for the toy line. Those were never aired because a new camera technique was developed that allowed detailed closeups of toys, so Kenner went with live-action commercials that showed kids playing with them that also had some brief segments of actors suited up shooting at aliens (I remember these).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

That’s the thing, it never even made it to the pitch reel stage.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
An 80's or 90's Alien cartoon should have existed.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Would love a timeline that made an anime with Aliens but Akira style.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

the_enduser posted:

Would love a timeline that made an anime with Aliens but Akira style.

Lily C.A.T. borrows heavily from the first Alien, but I can’t think of any anime that aped Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0QgGsnN-8g

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

ruddiger posted:

Lily C.A.T. borrows heavily from the first Alien, but I can’t think of any anime that aped Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0QgGsnN-8g

Yeah that's def the closest we'll get.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
So uh I was browsing around a Star Trek site and I found out that The Motion Picture had Arcturians in it

I can see now why the gender doesn’t matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Clearly doesn't melt in your mouth, not in your hand.