Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

INFRA still has an extremely unfortunate achievement named Remove Kabab so maybe uh don't get that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

pentyne posted:

Here's what I'm thinking is going to be my sale purchases

Everything seems pretty well regarded from every time its been mentioned in threads. I know Yakuza 1 is kind of rough around the edges but I had such a blast with Yakuza 0 I'm willing to put up with no autosaving. Maybe some day I'll finally learn Mahjong.

Pathologic 2 is far and away the best thing in your cart. I hope you enjoy it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

pentyne posted:

Everything seems pretty well regarded from every time its been mentioned in threads. I know Yakuza 1 is kind of rough around the edges but I had such a blast with Yakuza 0 I'm willing to put up with no autosaving. Maybe some day I'll finally learn Mahjong.

Firewatch is one of my favorite games of recent years and absolutely worth $5. Try to play it all (3ish hours?) in one sitting for maximum effect if you have the time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fargin Icehole posted:

Keep Doom Eternal. One of the best First Person Shooters i've played, it has weaknesses and strengths if you pair it up with doom 2016, but i dont think i can go back to 2016 now, I love how there's twice the amount of enemies and i'm not getting tired of the glory kills ever

I couldn't get into it. I really liked Doom 2016, but Eternal felt like a whole different beast. It felt like it added too much to the formula, when all I wanted to do was shoot bad guys with a bigass shotgun. Seeing that tiny shotgun clip at the beginning was a huge bummer.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

space marine todd posted:

Thanks for the recs!

If you want a rogue-like side scrolling Shump Steredenn is very good and 100% complete.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I couldn't get into it. I really liked Doom 2016, but Eternal felt like a whole different beast. It felt like it added too much to the formula, when all I wanted to do was shoot bad guys with a bigass shotgun. Seeing that tiny shotgun clip at the beginning was a huge bummer.

Yuup, 2016 good, Eternal bad.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alright, let's do this. Help me cull my cart:

I'm a bit leery of Early Access games, so feel free to shoot those down with a bit more prejudice (and other than Doom Eternal, Satisfactory and Hullbreaker are the most expensive games in there due to regional pricing shenanigans, so if I do get one of those two I'll only get one.)

Other than that I don't really have a budget in mind, just trying to fill the roaring emptiness inside with consumerism as one does.

My useless bit of feedback is that I had enough buyers remorse with Cryptark that I actually returned it, which is something I rarely do. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what it was about it that I didn't like. I feel like Doom Eternal will fall down to $20 or below within a few months.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

BexGu posted:

If you want a rogue-like side scrolling Shump Steredenn is very good and 100% complete.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

I'm also just looking for more action RPG/loot-type games. What I like about Nova Drift, even though there isn't loot per se, is the wide variety of classes/perks/builds you can rapidly try out.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
There is also Drifting Lands which is basically Diablo 2 the SHUMP but I've never had a chance to try it. The $5 is it new permanent price so you won't see it on sale.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

someday I hope to hear a Doom Eternal complaint that isn't "this videogame is too much like videogames" or "but I don't wanna chainsaw the demons"

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Hwurmp posted:

someday I hope to hear a Doom Eternal complaint that isn't "this videogame is too much like videogames" or "but I don't wanna chainsaw the demons"

I really like Doom Eternal but my complaint is that with the flamethrower and grenade launcher, it adds a level of cognitive load/burden that Doom 2016 didn't have.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Junkie Disease posted:

Remnant has branching patch and random levels and bosses so that many playthroughs will be very different, its like beating Slay the Spire Once and saying its all there is

It still repeats a TON of content on extra playthroughs. It seriously lacks variety.

I also feel like co-op is mandatory to get the best of it which should inform any buying decisions.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Monster Train is this year's Slay the Spire.

It annoys me to no end that you can't claim the free sticker through Steam's client.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Doom Eternal basically got me to buy a gaming mouse because there's no way I would remember that many keyboard binds. Even with a load of extra buttons I ended up putting chainsaw on scroll up and flamethrower on scroll down just so they'd be as close to hand as possible.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Started to write a post-by-post reply, realised a bunch of people had chimed in (thank you everyone!) so I'm gonna cut it short.

Took out Death of the Outsider, Cryptark and Infra (I had already removed Ion Fury before I posted, could we go a week without getting milkshake duck'd by a developer :< ), and I may put Doom Eternal in the "for next time" pile and just reinstall 2016 at this point.

/edit: Will probably take out Remnant as well and save it until I know I'm gonna co-op it with someone. I don't mind replaying games when they're just fun (Sleeping Dogs can attest to this), but I for the most part don't like games build around replaying them, if that makes sense.

One more question then: Satisfactory vs Shipbreaker. There can be only one. Fight.

Mokinokaro posted:

I'd dump Guilty Gear if you have any MP aspirations as the netcode is utterly awful and Remnant: From the Ashes because it's extremely content slim and wants you to buy DLC to make it close to the game it was promised to be.
I don't, actually. I'm in South America so I avoid any type of PvP since 200 ping makes for some miserable experiences. I just got the itch to play a fighting game and this is like 1/5 the price of SFV so :v:

Mokinokaro posted:

Resonance of Fate is also one to be wary of because the port hasn't been patched and has a few nasty bugs that randomly crop up.

ErrEff posted:

Resonance of Fate is one of my niche favorites from the PS3/360 era but it expects you to grind a lot to get anywhere, so bear that in mind. However, being able to attach multiple barrels and scopes to your gun is great.

Shame about RoF being buggy; I played a bunch on the Ps3 but never finished it so I was just considering getting the pc version and using a trainer to give myself infinite money/hexes (once I unlocked a certain type, of course) and just have fun with the combat/mod system without having to grind.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 27, 2020

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Doom Eternal is basically a character action game like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, but as a first person shooter. 2016 is more of a casual run and gun affair.

Eternal basically demands mastery over its systems in a way that 2016 never did. In many ways its a better game with a lot of technical depth, but it's also a more exhausting game to play and if you aren't engaging with the mechanics then you will probably hate it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Celebrating something or another by gifting people.

Add me.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77

Tell me your favorite genre(s).

Receive a gift.

Ride the gift train \ write a short impression of the game in whatever thread.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

One more question then: Satisfactory vs Shipbreaker. There can be only one. Fight.

This is a tough one. Do you want a rather chill game where you carefully cut ships apart or do you want to build a sprawling industrial hellscape while often stressing about making it more efficient in any way possible?

Edmond Dantes posted:

I don't, actually. I'm in South America so I avoid any type of PvP since 200 ping makes for some miserable experiences. I just got the itch to play a fighting game and this is like 1/5 the price of SFV so :v:

Then it would be fine. The other fighter with good SP I'd recommend is Soul Calibur VI but I'm not sure how expensive it currently is.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hey woah, I didn't realize Command and Conquer had branching paths/missions! Thank god for mission select.

...also wow, I did NOT expect a mission that early on to be so hard. Bialystok forced me to learned how to use APCs, how to avoid my troops getting squished, and how to take out two tanks with troops. Wow.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Remnant is a game I personally hated, but one where I can also see why a lot of people liked it. I think if you play it for the 2-hour return period, you will have seen enough of it to know where you personally stand on that. Everything you see in that period of time is basically all that you get, it does not substantially change after that. You're either fine with that or you're not.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mokinokaro posted:

This is a tough one. Do you want a rather chill game where you carefully cut ships apart or do you want to build a sprawling industrial hellscape while often stressing about making it more efficient in any way possible?
I kinda like the concept of Shipbreaker but the time limits kinda sour it for me and with the limited ship designs it feels like it'll end up being "learn a ship then take it apart as fast as possible" which... ehhhhh.
This is all [citation needed], going by some streams I watched and info floating around, so feel free to correct me on this.

How slow can you take it in Satisfactory? Can it be played like a city builder and just plan/build stuff or will I have to react to something going hilariously wrong and scramble to build stuff before I Chernobyl the entire planet?

Mokinokaro posted:

Then it would be fine. The other fighter with good SP I'd recommend is Soul Calibur VI but I'm not sure how expensive it currently is.

SC6 complete is about the same price as SF5 Champion, so 5x the price of GG. I could still be talked into getting one of those if I end up dropping DOOM and Remnant, mind.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

space marine todd posted:

Thanks! I'll check it out.

I'm also just looking for more action RPG/loot-type games. What I like about Nova Drift, even though there isn't loot per se, is the wide variety of classes/perks/builds you can rapidly try out.

If this is your main reason for liking Nova Drift, then I reiterate, definitely check out Hades. I'm not a huge fan of bullethell or shmups, but ND hooked me on its build customization system. Of the wide variety of rogue-lites out there, I think Hades is the closest in this regard. And if you do like bullethell, some encounters in Hades can certainly approach that feel.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

How slow can you take it in Satisfactory? Can it be played like a city builder and just plan/build stuff or will I have to react to something going hilariously wrong and scramble to build stuff before I Chernobyl the entire planet?

There doesn't seem to be a time pressure from what I've seen (it's basically 3d factorio.) Not sure if has any disasters except for wildlife just getting in your way.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The only timer of any sort Satisfactory has is at the start when you're relying on biofuel for power and you gotta keep up on manually keeping your generators fueled. Once you get to coal and got that all automated you can take all the time in the world.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Remnant is a game I personally hated, but one where I can also see why a lot of people liked it. I think if you play it for the 2-hour return period, you will have seen enough of it to know where you personally stand on that. Everything you see in that period of time is basically all that you get, it does not substantially change after that. You're either fine with that or you're not.

I don't think this is true at all. The first area is the most drab out of all the setting but once you get past the first boss you start finding interesting weapons like a flaming smg that shoots exploding fireballs as it's alternate fire or the ability to summon explosive bugs on command. The weapons and spells you get just get increasingly interesting and fun as you head towards the end of the game.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I think I may go for Satisfactory then. Thanks again for the replies.

I also just realised I may be leaving Doom Eternal for later on because it'll be somewhat hectic/involved, and I'm about to go for the Logistics Simulator.

So this is how being old feels like.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey woah, I didn't realize Command and Conquer had branching paths/missions! Thank god for mission select.

...also wow, I did NOT expect a mission that early on to be so hard. Bialystok forced me to learned how to use APCs, how to avoid my troops getting squished, and how to take out two tanks with troops. Wow.

Posting from the actual Białystok rn. Never knew that it featured in a videogame.

It's a piece of poo poo city, though. Lotsa racists.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

Posting from the actual Białystok rn. Never knew that it featured in a videogame.

It's a piece of poo poo city, though. Lotsa racists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D51_UgXMSzM

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

I think I may go for Satisfactory then. Thanks again for the replies.

I also just realised I may be leaving Doom Eternal for later on because it'll be somewhat hectic/involved, and I'm about to go for the Logistics Simulator.

So this is how being old feels like.

This is me and Animated Puzzles / Sudoku Zenkai.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mokinokaro posted:

I also feel like co-op is mandatory to get the best of it which should inform any buying decisions.
so its not like a dark souls, summoning highly optional type of game?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
First 30 minutes of CSD 3 are as stressful as 6 hour mark CSD. Either the first game ramp up is slooooooow or I’ve become way clumsier in 6 months.

Either way, I’m afraid of CSD 3 end game now.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Edmond Dantes posted:

I kinda like the concept of Shipbreaker but the time limits kinda sour it for me and with the limited ship designs it feels like it'll end up being "learn a ship then take it apart as fast as possible" which... ehhhhh.
This is all [citation needed], going by some streams I watched and info floating around, so feel free to correct me on this.

Shipbreaker has some good bones but its still very much EA and is pretty limited in content at the moment. What they have currently gave me about 15hrs of gameplay so its got some hooks but I put it aside for a while so that I hopefully don't get burned out before they add a bunch of other content, bug fixes, QoL stuff like key bindings and resolution options that don't blow out the HUD, etc. Regarding the time limit - its not that big of a deal honestly as its pretty generous and it helps you to prioritize efficiency. The devs have acknowledged that a lot of people don't like it, though, and said they are brainstorming options. I'm glad I got it to try it out but I also kind of wish I'd waited a bit until it was little bit farther along.

pentyne posted:

Firewatch is the best walking simulator out there, imo. I love that game. It has probably the best video game story I've ever played through with empathetic characters that feel like actual human beings with their sad, beautiful lives. It also resonated with me personally a bit because I have friends who do fire lookout every summer and I've spent quite a lot of time camping and hiking around fire towers out in the woods. Without saying too much, the ending is absolutely perfect and drives home the themes that were built on throughout the game while subverting expectations in a way that avoids being meta or twisty for the sake of twists. Bonus for me was all of the people who have clearly only ever engaged with genre fiction being mad and confused at the ending. And like the other person said, try to play through it in one sitting if you can. Such a great game.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

lmao 'peaceful hamlet' w/ 350.000 people

Harvey Pekar's parents lived there:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah I finally started getting to the tough missions and I had a feeling you were going to say something about them. All this stuff is making me better at the game, right? I thought about checking out the online at some point, or at least the skirmish mode of one of these games. Steam thread, which of the Command and Conquer games has the best skirmish mode?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 27, 2020

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Awesome! posted:

so its not like a dark souls, summoning highly optional type of game?

It doesn't have summoning, it has proper coop.

The game does scale enemy numbers and boos health between multiplayer and singleplayer, but a lot of people seem to think bosses that summon adds should be a coop-only thing and it's not (for very good gameplay reasons).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

which of the Command and Conquer games has the best skirmish mode?
Either Kane's Wrath or Red Alert 3: Uprising.
If you mean oldschool CnC, Red Alert is the better tuned of the two. If you count non-Steam games, it's Red Alert 2 though I vaguely recall the expansion faction being imbalanced as hell.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Yeah I finally started getting to the tough missions and I had a feeling you were going to say something about them. All this stuff is making me better at the game, right? I thought about checking out the online at some point, or at least the skirmish mode of one of these games. Steam thread, which of the Command and Conquer games has the best skirmish mode?
Well my absolute favourite game is Generals, but in terms of sheer content it's got to be RA2 with its gamut of game modes and options. TS' default skirmish setup is annoyingly basic, like you can't even choose AI factions, but CNCNet's got a launcher that hooks in and allows all that stuff.

E: The remaster games don't have great skirmish AI and the original TD never even had one at all.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 27, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

... holy canole I did not expect a tie-in game to have graphics as good as or on par with just watching the movies. I know graphics tech has come a long way but um jesus, wow

in-game it still looks and feels insanely good:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

municipal shrimp posted:

I don't think this is true at all. The first area is the most drab out of all the setting but once you get past the first boss you start finding interesting weapons like a flaming smg that shoots exploding fireballs as it's alternate fire or the ability to summon explosive bugs on command. The weapons and spells you get just get increasingly interesting and fun as you head towards the end of the game.
You have to make it that far first, and even then, I would say the basic gameplay loop is simple enough that if you already don't enjoy it, the new weapons and occasional-use-with-cooldown skills will not be enough to carry the game. If you think the game is already fun, it will make it more fun. If you don't, it won't fix it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

havent bought this much in a steam sale in awhile. slime rancher isnt even on my wishlist, ive seen it before and wasnt really interested but it popped up and this time i was like :hmmyes: :3: