Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Qubee posted:

I just wanna get the tool that lets me destroy annoying boulders. And I can't figure out whether it's better to produce materials on-site (where the mine is), or ship the smelted ingots from the mines all the way to a central location. I just don't wanna be running 10 mins to grab resources every time when I can have a shopping mall in the centre of my base.

So basically I start (bypassing the tutorial and starting off directly with a fully-developed HUB in my pocket and all pre-T1 blueprints unlocked) by automating all basic materials into a cargo can each; basically a quick and dirty mall which also feeds early tech progression. Then space elevator and a Foundation for gridding production around it; site the HUB in a chosen spot with a nice view, space for the permanent mall-supplied cans I also build nearby as well as space for my eventual Hypertube nexus area.

For delivery of resources under ~6-700m I just build long conveyor belts back to the nearest production area (I wind up with at least two main ones, roughly Near Space Elevator and Near Convenient Oil, connected by Hypertubes). Using Stackable Conveyor Poles for this is finicky but makes later conveyor lines from nearby resource nodes linking up with the first one easier to do, also huge conveyor stacks are dank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Qubee posted:

I just wanna get the tool that lets me destroy annoying boulders. And I can't figure out whether it's better to produce materials on-site (where the mine is), or ship the smelted ingots from the mines all the way to a central location. I just don't wanna be running 10 mins to grab resources every time when I can have a shopping mall in the centre of my base.

Look for sulphur, that will start you on the path to boulder breaking.

I find a central location to ship ingots or even raw ore most useful, especially once you get to the midgame and your materials are being made of four or more different base ingredients. Once you're past iron/copper/limestone, finding places where everything you need for a product spawns near each other gets less and less possible.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Oddly small boulders can be broken with the chainsaw. You can't target them, but if they are in the chainsaws AOE when you target something nearby...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I feel like the space elevator is so fuckoff huge for how little you do with it that it's probably better to just plop it way the gently caress off and run a belt or 2 to it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I feel like the space elevator is so fuckoff huge for how little you do with it that it's probably better to just plop it way the gently caress off and run a belt or 2 to it.

Eh. It's not that big when you realize how big you're gonna end up building.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

I'm just annoying myself cause I can't make nice, parallel busses with my conveyor belts.
Foundations help with that. (They create a grid for stuff to snap to.) It's still a bit of work to get belts tidy though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a neat way for me to get conveyor belts into a building? I could have sworn there were walls with conveyor attachment places in them, I don't know if I just haven't unlocked them yet or I'm being a goober.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Qubee posted:

Is there a neat way for me to get conveyor belts into a building? I could have sworn there were walls with conveyor attachment places in them, I don't know if I just haven't unlocked them yet or I'm being a goober.

I think you have to unlock them through the AWESOME shop/sink.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The hard drives are such a roll of the dice. Some are just meh, where the best choice is steamed copper sheets. I know all the recipes that add water for more production are nice, but I don’t have much use for copper at the moment.

But some are amazing. Steel beams to screws, at 270 a minute. And I was just about to start making a multi level factory to automate motors and heavy frames. Hopefully should simplify things.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I think one of my early mistakes was trying to make things too compact. Still fixing a cascade of issues that causes, but that's why I like games like this. Each factory I build is just a bit better thought out than the last one.

Also, I spent way too much time on this power plant, trying to make everything nice and neat.

One thing I've been experimenting with and I really like the look of is raising everything up off the foundation/ground with pillars. It lets you run things underneath and underfeed, and I feel like the open space makes otherwise huge buildings look less monolithic.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Just picked this up and have a question about picking a starting area. Is it all just one big map and you are picking a spot on that map to start or are there 4 different maps?

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

It's all the same map so don't feel locked into your starting area. I like the western Northern Forest/eastern Rocky Desert border area. Lots of resources and some interesting challenges to build around.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh man, the basic materials had easily done, simple ratios but it looks like everything else doesn't. I'm sitting here trying to math our Rotor and Smart Plate Production and :psyduck:

I'm pretty much gonna have to give up on perfect efficiency unless I want to create a massive crazy monster aren't I?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Man, if we had signs I'd totally make a grand complex with production facilities for every single part and a complex system to route raw materials to necessary factories. Beacons are cool, sure, but I want big rear end neon signs I can plant on the side of my factories.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh man, the basic materials had easily done, simple ratios but it looks like everything else doesn't. I'm sitting here trying to math our Rotor and Smart Plate Production and :psyduck:

I'm pretty much gonna have to give up on perfect efficiency unless I want to create a massive crazy monster aren't I?

Perfect ratios might require more than one end-stage machine working at 100%.

Also you can underclock machines; I underclock all Foundries in my first builds when I only have T2 belts to 89% so they produce 40/m instead of 45 so the outputs for three machines equal 120.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Embrace the monster and also underclock.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If (modded) factorio taught me anything it's that going for perfect ratios will leave you going mad so it's better to just follow the simple of more=better. Not enough input? More. Too slow output? More. Too little power? More. Always more always expanding because there's infinite resources and no reason to turn back when there's essentially infinite space.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've built a beast of a factory, I feel like I'm really slow cause I still haven't unlocked coal power, despite it being the thing I've been gunning for these past few hours (four, I think?). I'm almost ready to send my space elevator off so I can unlock coal power right after. Once I have automated power, I can scale everything up so easily. My problem was I tried building too big too quick, if I just put the bare basic machinery down to get me 2 Smart Plating/min, I'd have had coal power hours ago.

Now that I'm getting things scaled up, I'm having a hard time managing belts. I have a line of assemblers that need screws and plates, how do I weave the belts around each other to keep feeding consecutive assembly machines down the line? In Factorio, I just use underground belts, but the elevators can't go through foundations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Qubee posted:

Now that I'm getting things scaled up, I'm having a hard time managing belts. I have a line of assemblers that need screws and plates, how do I weave the belts around each other to keep feeding consecutive assembly machines down the line? In Factorio, I just use underground belts, but the elevators can't go through foundations.

You can use the stacking belt supports to feed lines over one another, then use splitters on the top level belts like the lower ones. You can use elevators from the upper splitters if you leave enough room, or you can just use a belt to pull from the line!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Can you stack hypertube entrances? I'm trying to make my first hypertube, and it works but its sloooow because there's a lot of uphill at the start of both sides and I'd like it to go faster.

I've tried putting on hypertube entrance directly in front of another, with the power indicator on the same (right) side. The second entrance doesn't work and has a yellow light when I hook it up to power instead of a green light.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

LLSix posted:

Can you stack hypertube entrances? I'm trying to make my first hypertube, and it works but its sloooow because there's a lot of uphill at the start of both sides and I'd like it to go faster.

I've tried putting on hypertube entrance directly in front of another, with the power indicator on the same (right) side. The second entrance doesn't work and has a yellow light when I hook it up to power instead of a green light.

https://youtu.be/t2X3wlvoShg?t=981 for your hypertube needs. Also the video that made me get the game

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Factorio has ruined me, cause getting hundreds of bots to instantly lay down machinery and concrete spoils you. Putting all this foundation down is gonna melt my brain. I wish there was a way to drag out areas of foundation. I'm also gonna start using pillars to raise my bases up a few metres to avoid terrain clipping.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Rynoto posted:

Also the video that made me get the game

100% the same for me. I saw the title like five or six times but didn't click on it because it seemed entirely too weird and random, then one day I decided to watch the video because I couldn't stop thinking about the title, then I watched the rest, then I bought the game.

And LGIO is the one and only content creator that I have ever actually liked and subscribed, and he hasn't (To my knowledge) ever asked people to do that even once.

khy fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 27, 2020

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Qubee posted:

Factorio has ruined me, cause getting hundreds of bots to instantly lay down machinery and concrete spoils you. Putting all this foundation down is gonna melt my brain. I wish there was a way to drag out areas of foundation. I'm also gonna start using pillars to raise my bases up a few metres to avoid terrain clipping.

There is a mod called Area Actions that does this kind of thing (never tried it though).

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Qubee posted:

Organizing belts is easy. You put your machines down and then you connect belts until things work. Need more belts? Just shove a splitter in there somewhere it'll probably work.
It

couldn't

be

simpler.

Ah, automation.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

power crystals posted:

Organizing belts is easy. You put your machines down and then you connect belts until things work. Need more belts? Just shove a splitter in there somewhere it'll probably work.
It

couldn't

be

simpler.

Ah, automation.

This is what my first go at the game was like, now I’m all about conveyors in the air and snapping to the grid

I’m in progress on my fuel generator setup and my two oil lines are turning into 27 generators for a cool 4000MW, gently caress this needs a lot of concrete though, fuel generators are huge

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Qubee posted:

Same, but let satisfactory be your chill down game, it's more about having fun, exploring, making pretty buildings and shooting yourself across the map with yeet cannons. Building tons of foundations does in fact suck, and I don't really like the way the area actions mod works, but it does work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

power crystals posted:

It

couldn't

be

simpler.

Ah, automation.

You belong in prison

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I've never gotten the yeet cannons to work, even when following the layouts/directions in the videos from LGIO and imkibitz. :(

I think my computer sucks just enough to not have the exponential speed added. :(

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

I've never gotten the yeet cannons to work, even when following the layouts/directions in the videos from LGIO and imkibitz. :(

I think my computer sucks just enough to not have the exponential speed added. :(

Just do a few nodes of it to test it out, you can at least use them to get high up then jetpack around your base easy.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Cojawfee posted:

You belong in prison

Already lives within his prison of belts, a jail of intersections reaching the boundary only to erect more walls and wires to bind himself to his twisted purgatory.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Duodecimal posted:

Already lives within his prison of belts, a jail of intersections reaching the boundary only to erect more walls and wires to bind himself to his twisted purgatory.

Worst of all, it's a prison of your own psychotic design.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

power crystals posted:

It

couldn't

be

simpler.

Ah, automation.

I respect your get-down. gently caress being organized...all hail the tru god: conveyor spaghetti

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Is biofuel sustainable or do I need to beeline to coal?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Beeline to coal

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Back Hack posted:

Worst of all, it's a prison of your own psychotic design.

It takes a twisted mind to be able to contain other twisted minds.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Jesus Christ

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Killstick posted:

Jesus Christ

STANCED

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Is biofuel sustainable or do I need to beeline to coal?

Coal.

It isn't just automated, it provides a lot more power than the biofuel generators too.

Speaking of, I was planning to expand my current set of 16 generators by stacking a second story above them but water pumps are so power hungry I'd lose the output of two of the new generators just to feed the pumps to lift the water. So now I'm planning to pave over a lake as the only flat surface near water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LLSix posted:

Coal.

It isn't just automated, it provides a lot more power than the biofuel generators too.

Speaking of, I was planning to expand my current set of 16 generators by stacking a second story above them but water pumps are so power hungry I'd lose the output of two of the new generators just to feed the pumps to lift the water. So now I'm planning to pave over a lake as the only flat surface near water.

omg I loathed going around collecting leaves and making compressed biofuel and hand feeding burners...but that made upgrading to automated power super nice. such a nice game.