Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Can Of Worms posted:

From what I've heard, the only person who can actually force sanctions is Vic suing Beard for malpractice, and he's either a dumbass, doesn't care, or has been convinced by his friends that Beard is actually doing a competent job.

Those options are not mutually exclusive so why not all of the above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SoftNum posted:

No Vic sued them. To be clear Rial & Co. are the defendants.

Though I agree in general, Vic wanted to quash their public discourse about his abuses. Though I suspect that another thing they wanted was to force a discovery where Discord would reveal a bunch of logs and they could go after random people who said poo poo like "Geez I wish Vic would die" or w/e. Beard & Co. are real focused on getting to discovery.'

So what happens because they've overran their allotted word count? I assume the court doesn't just give them a do-over?

I suspect he thought fame and popularity would somehow let him come out the hero with a quick quashing of all these slanderous accusations from terrible women against such a fine upstanding professional voice actor beloved by many underage female fans. Instead he ran head-first into nasty things like evidence and impartial judges who don't watch Full Metal Alchemist or Dragon Ball Super.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It turns out that the Judiciary is a subs only entity.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Can Of Worms posted:

From what I've heard, the only person who can actually force sanctions is Vic suing Beard for malpractice, and he's either a dumbass, doesn't care, or has been convinced by his friends that Beard is actually doing a competent job.

As far as I know, to get somewhere in a malpractice suit you have to have a case that was somewhat viable. Vic doesn't really have that with the possible exception of Toye accusing him of having assaulted hundreds of women.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I suspect he thought fame and popularity would somehow let him come out the hero with a quick quashing of all these slanderous accusations from terrible women against such a fine upstanding professional voice actor beloved by many underage female fans. Instead he ran head-first into nasty things like evidence and impartial judges who don't watch Full Metal Alchemist or Dragon Ball Super.

I thought it was at least partially that his army of sycophants convinced him that he could actually win. At least that’s what I remember.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Quinntan posted:

As far as I know, to get somewhere in a malpractice suit you have to have a case that was somewhat viable. Vic doesn't really have that with the possible exception of Toye accusing him of having assaulted hundreds of women.
No, I think the only requirement is that you need to show that an average lawyer would have gotten a better outcome; Several lawyers including Doucette believe Vic could have gotten the lawsuit past the TCPA and avoided the sanction fees associated with it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Can Of Worms posted:

No, I think the only requirement is that you need to show that an average lawyer would have gotten a better outcome; Several lawyers including Doucette believe Vic could have gotten the lawsuit past the TCPA and avoided the sanction fees associated with it.
Wasn't it mentioned that Mignogna went to at least a couple of actual law firms, presumably staffed with average-to-competent lawyers that specialize in entertainment, saw what Vic was bringing to the table and said "NOPE!" almost immediately? I remember someone last year bringing it up.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

Well it's probably not "average", since that would mean the below-average half of all lawyers could be successfully sued for malpractice.

Review article I googled up: http://www.texasbarcle.com/Materials/Events/4214/26895_01.pdf

Some highlights posted:

Negligence is the failure to do that which a reasonable attorney practicing in the same locality would do, or not do, under the same circumstances.
An attorney may be liable for damages to a client resulting from the attorney’s incorrect interpretation of a statute.
No Liability for “Failing to Assert Every Conceivable Defense Tactic Under the Sun”
To obtain damages in a legal malpractice suit, the client must prove not only that the underlying suit would have been successful but for the malpractice of the attorney, but he must also establish the amount of damages he would have recovered had he been successful—this is also referred to as the “suit within a suit.” Fireman’s Fund Am. Ins. Co. v. Patterson & Lamberty, Inc., 528 S.W.2d 67, 69-70 (Tex. Civ. App.—Tyler 1975, writ ref’d n.r.e).

Bold mine. And the last part seems important, if I'm understanding correctly that it means this case would actually have to be winnable for there to be malpractice, not just that Mignogna could have done "better". I guess here would mean losing but burning more of the defendants' money first. I don't know that that counts as "better", legally speaking, given that the legal system doesn't present itself as a vehicle for destroying people with frivolous claims.

Maybe having to pay the opposing party's costs does mean the case doesn't have to be winnable for there to be damages, I dunno.

it's fun to fantasize about these assholes getting their comeuppance but I think I'll be surprised if it comes in any form but monetary costs and being snarked at by a judge. I think most problems that result in bar discipline are more along the lines of "was a sex pest to a client" or "stole tens of thousands of dollars" or "took fees but did literally nothing so the client lost their kid in the divorce settlement".

I Am Not A Lawyer, no idea if this source sucks, etc

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I can't speak to Texas, but in Florida legal malpractice requires the existence of an attorney client relationship, a breach of some duty, and redressable harm. The last element requires a showing that the underlying litigation would have turned differently in the hands of a different attorney. This is called a trial within a trial because the malpractice counsel has to actually prove the underlying case first before malpractice could even exist.

If the underlying litigation result would have remained the same in the hands of a reasonable attorney, there is no malpractice even in the face of egregious breach.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

To me the interesting question is whether the fee shifting under TCPA constitutes a redressable harm compared to losing summary judgment later on. Feels like a tough argument to make.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Soylent Pudding posted:

To me the interesting question is whether the fee shifting under TCPA constitutes a redressable harm compared to losing summary judgment later on. Feels like a tough argument to make.

Once again, talking Florida, but showing that a client would have only had to pay attorneys fees and not attorneys fees plus sanctions but for the bad attorney's breach would likely be sufficient. This speculative as I haven't actually looked up cases where someone was awarded sanctions and fees. Regardless the sanctions in this case are large enough that they would matter.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can't speak to Texas, but in Florida legal malpractice requires the existence of an attorney client relationship, a breach of some duty, and redressable harm. The last element requires a showing that the underlying litigation would have turned differently in the hands of a different attorney. This is called a trial within a trial because the malpractice counsel has to actually prove the underlying case first before malpractice could even exist.

If the underlying litigation result would have remained the same in the hands of a reasonable attorney, there is no malpractice even in the face of egregious breach.

Can the breach of duty and/or redressable harm consist of advising a client to file an unwinnable, laughably bad lawsuit? Because if it can't, then it strikes me that there's a bit missing from Florida (and maybe/probably other states too) malpractice law.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

BobHoward posted:

Can the breach of duty and/or redressable harm consist of advising a client to file an unwinnable, laughably bad lawsuit? Because if it can't, then it strikes me that there's a bit missing from Florida (and maybe/probably other states too) malpractice law.

That would probably fall under the blanket "Not operating in your client's best interests" part of malpractice.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BobHoward posted:

That would take money from attorneys’ pockets so lol at it ever happening.

tasukiscool
Feb 15, 2003

Voted most likely to be tied to train tracks 2007 - 2008
Slippery Tilde
If anything, I would think the best argument is that Ty failed in his duty by not timely filing the second amended petition, which led to the judge ruling not to include it. Missing court deadlines is pretty textbook "how to gently caress up your client's case," but I don't know whether that alone would constitute malpractice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

tasukiscool posted:

If anything, I would think the best argument is that Ty failed in his duty by not timely filing the second amended petition, which led to the judge ruling not to include it. Missing court deadlines is pretty textbook "how to gently caress up your client's case," but I don't know whether that alone would constitute malpractice.

Yeah, IANAL but it seems like a reasonable attorney would file everything on time and if that contributed to the size of the sanctions then there's redress.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

What about the appeal? AFAIK Beard's premature filing got them into this and it's already going to cost Vic at least 142k for something likely unwinnable from the start, or is this going to be heavily dependent on exactly how Beard advised Vic and whether Vic knew he could call it off?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

tasukiscool posted:

In Florida that would constitute malpractice if by filing it there would have been a change in the outcome. The malpractice attorney will have to convince a jury first that it would have materially altered the trial outcome by essentially recreating the first trial with the second amended petition included. If malpractice attorney is able to show that Vic would have still lost but he would not have to legally pay some of his losses, he has damages equal to that difference.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't it mentioned that Mignogna went to at least a couple of actual law firms, presumably staffed with average-to-competent lawyers that specialize in entertainment, saw what Vic was bringing to the table and said "NOPE!" almost immediately? I remember someone last year bringing it up.

I don’t remember exactly how it went, but basically Vic went to two or three lawyer friends of his work this case and each told him clearly that it was stupid and basically unwinnable. Sometime after that is when Nick contacted him and hooked him up with Ty

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Can Of Worms posted:

That there were a few claims that weren't totally dead on arrival, rather. Most of them could never make it past tcpa. Monica's hotel room story could potentially have made it past the tcpa for one, but it's almost all dead on arrival with any lawyer.

Also reminder for everyone - the sanctions are pretty small.

More than 90% of the money vic has been told to pay is lawyer fees because the tcpa shifts attorney fees to plaintiff if he loses.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Exercu posted:

That there were a few claims that weren't totally dead on arrival, rather. Most of them could never make it past tcpa. Monica's hotel room story could potentially have made it past the tcpa for one, but it's almost all dead on arrival with any lawyer.

Also reminder for everyone - the sanctions are pretty small.

More than 90% of the money vic has been told to pay is lawyer fees because the tcpa shifts attorney fees to plaintiff if he loses.

Small != nominal. Just because they aren't the bulk of his claim doesn't mean that, at least in Florida, that he couldn't sue Percy for malpractice if they could have been avoided.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I look forward to the competing go fund mes (go funds me?) for both Vic suing Ty Beard for malpractice and for Ty Beard's defense fund.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Skwirl posted:

I look forward to the competing go fund mes (go funds me?) for both Vic suing Ty Beard for malpractice and for Ty Beard's defense fund.

Ty strikes me as the kind of guy who’s dumb enough to represent himself in court.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AnoHito posted:

Ty strikes me as the kind of guy who’s dumb enough to represent himself in court.

Didn't they start bringing in other people because the rest of the law firm realized how out of his depth he was?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

quote:

Bold mine. And the last part seems important, if I'm understanding correctly that it means this case would actually have to be winnable for there to be malpractice, not just that Mignogna could have done "better".

Yeah, I'll have to concede on that. I thought I found some case law that showed it was possible to win a malpractice suit with a losing case, but if it existed I can no longer find it; the closest things I've found are Elizondo v. Krist (Tex. 2013) and Rogers v. Zanetti (Tex. 2017), but neither covered guaranteed losing cases.

quote:

(Elizondo v. Krist) The Court noted that the plaintiff’s burden is to prove the difference between the result obtained for the client and “the result that would have been obtained with competent counsel” – not necessarily the result “if the case had been tried to a final judgment.”

quote:

(Rogers v. Zanetti) The Texas Supreme Court has made clear that a plaintiff must provide competent proof of both elements of cause in fact—that the malpractice was “a substantial factor” in bringing about the injury and that the injury would not have occurred “but for” the malpractice.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Wark Say posted:

Hey, no stop that! Don't you dare pin this on Nick! :colbert:

But for real, like how did Beard decide to take a case in an area he has no expertise in (I think he's a real estate lawyer, which seems as far removed from difficulties as you can get from entertainment) would go swimmingly if he just... shat himself every step of the way?

I'd guess something about how Beard controls the trust fund for friend-of-Vic Nick Rekieta.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Wark Say posted:

Hey, no stop that! Don't you dare pin this on Nick! :colbert:

But for real, like how did Beard decide to take a case in an area he has no expertise in (I think he's a real estate lawyer, which seems as far removed from difficulties as you can get from entertainment) would go swimmingly if he just... shat himself every step of the way?

Beard is also a lovely chud who thinks he is a genius.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
He thought they'd fold instantly and settle and when they didn't he'd already thrown the pin after supergluing his hand to a live grenade.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/BettikMartin/status/1276696906425610240

So not only was the money never meant for Vic but instead Beard, Vic has no way of knowing if any of the money was ever used in his defense anyway. So we knew the thing we knew anyway, but BFL is dumb enough to admit it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I gotta say, I'm surprised that chuds are still sinking resources into this stupid loving lawsuit. They've completely lost the zeitgeist, Vic's lawsuit to silence the conspiracy of lying harlots fell flat on its face, and failed to terrify people from going forward with metoo within the entertainment world. A whole bunch of gaming figures, from Ubisoft, to Avellone, just faced accusations. Dr Disrespect just got permabanned off twitch, and people are more concerned about what hosed up line he crossed this time. And at a micro level, that I have a personal interest in, Method Gaming just got nailed for one of its WoW streamers sexually assaulting multiple women, and a bunch of Path of Exile streamers have walked away from their contracts. And from what I can tell of the discourse, people aren't comparing it to Vic Mignogna, but to Harvey Weinstein, "how the gently caress could these authority figures allow this sicko to abuse women for years?"

So the fact that Vic's lawsuit is still going is a mystery to me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Phobophilia posted:

So the fact that Vic's lawsuit is still going is a mystery to me.

Honestly the only reason I think it's still going is Vic is just blithely assuming it will work out in the end because he has no clue about anything remotely legal and just nods whenever Beard and company tell him something. That he's just too dumb to give it up.

Is there anything like fraud related that could happen to Beard and crew because of this, or is that wishful thinking?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
At least Vic still has appearances at city name comic con

Oh. Right

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Alan Smithee posted:

At least Vic still has appearances at city name comic con

Oh. Right

There are a handful of cons that are indeed going forward with happening this year, and he is a guest at least two of them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lawsuit dying because Vic catches 'Rona would be pretty hilarious

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Going to a convention during a massive surge in COVID-19 cases in the USA seems like a great way to wind up in an ICU. Especially considering he is not a young man.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it would own, a lot, if vic died of covid

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Takoluka posted:

There are a handful of cons that are indeed going forward with happening this year, and he is a guest at least two of them.
He's coming to one in FL and the con's Facebook is deleting all negative comments about him. It's not a con I've heard of so I'm guessing the founder's a chud, heard that pretty much every well known con here has blacklisted him.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Going to a convention during a massive surge in COVID-19 cases in the USA seems like a great way to wind up in an ICU. Especially considering he is not a young man.
loving stereotypical boomer that he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
OTOH, if he dies, it might be harder for his victims to get their legal costs back out of him, so he can't cough up his lungs until he coughs up the dough.