Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

But open sourcing for security is a thing.
It isn't on the app store though, is the point.

If I go on github and download [pc program / android apk] I can:
- read the actual code (or assume SOMEONE is reading it)
- verify the download is the same as the code
- build the code myself if I want to

I can then verify the code I am running is a 1:1 copy of what I can inspect.

On the app store, you have to fundamentally trust that the encrypted binary blob you get is the same as the code up for inspection. The developer could use something else for the version that they push to the store, or Apple could be compelled in the case of three-eyes involvement to push you something different.

There's two ways to get apps working to mitigate the above.
- sideload the app. This is still encrypted by the developer and ergo needs you to trust them
- build from source, then side-load using XCode. The zero-trust model that opensource is actually trying to provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

And people like Signal not necessarily because the front end is open source (Telegram has FOSS clients too) but because their server is as well, and you can build it and connect custom clients to it and run your own end to end Signal service for you and your buddies.

Of course no one really does this either. A lot of the good feels created by FOSS in the App Store & Cloud service word are meaningless in practice. It’s just that you trust the supposedly transparent folks more than you do the people who hold the WhatsApp keys, probably for good reason - but it is still trust.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Apple cell phone hardware and operating system software is proprietary. How do people really know that there isn’t some kind of other backdoor that is not exposed to the application programmers?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

silence_kit posted:

Apple cell phone hardware and operating system software is proprietary. How do people really know that there isn’t some kind of other backdoor that is not exposed to the application programmers?

And even if Apple were end to end FOSS built on open hardware you could build yourself at home down to the ICs, you'd still have to trust your compiler (or the compiler you used to compile your compiler). It's trust all the way down. It does help in these discussions to limit the scope ... in this case, the added risk of using a particular app vs. not using it.

Note that the point wasn't to say, "don't trust Awful.app or Signal or anyone :tinfoil:", but "FOSS in the App Store doesn't change much for trust".

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I noticed yesterday or the day before that Hey Siri stopped reading the responses to me aloud and instead just shows it in the screen. Hey Siri how’s the weather today brings up the weather widget but there’s no voice response. Hey Siri what time is it right now brings up the clock widget but no voice response. Hey Siri what’s 300 ml in cups shows it to me in text but not aloud. I’ve already tried rebooting and I have the mute switch disabled and also went to Siri settings and made voice feedback “always.” Still doesn’t work.

This still works as normal on my iPad. I’ve confirmed that both have the same settings.

Only thing I can think of happening recently is updating to iOS 13.5.1, but it’s on my iPad as well.

How do I fix this because this is really annoying. It’s not a deal breaker but I use hey Siri so much that I need it.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Is the mute switch on? I leave mine on so I don’t have to hear Siri.

Edit: never mind just woke up. Bad reading. Missed you’re part about the switch sorry.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Not to be trite, but have you rebooted the phone?
About once a week Siri stops responding to my voice, a reboot fixes it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I rebooted.

Siri still responds, but it doesn’t respond vocally. Kinda like if you activated Siri with the power button.

Apparently this isn’t an isolated issue. I’ve seen some posts on the Apple forums and reddit with the same issue, all having 13.5.1 in common. The only fix that works for me is changing Siri’s voice to something else. Weird bug.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Boris Galerkin posted:

I rebooted.

Siri still responds, but it doesn’t respond vocally. Kinda like if you activated Siri with the power button.

Apparently this isn’t an isolated issue. I’ve seen some posts on the Apple forums and reddit with the same issue, all having 13.5.1 in common. The only fix that works for me is changing Siri’s voice to something else. Weird bug.

I have an even weirder bug, Siri says one thing wrong, "A.M." as "ame". I'm sure it's one of those dumb things that a full wipe would fix but I'm too lazy to try.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Inner Light posted:

I have an even weirder bug, Siri says one thing wrong, "A.M." as "ame". I'm sure it's one of those dumb things that a full wipe would fix but I'm too lazy to try.

Do they use AM/PM in the region your phone is set in?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do they use AM/PM in the region your phone is set in?

Yeah I'm in the US.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Inner Light posted:

Siri is weird. At some point, she decided that “Erica” is spelled with a K, and since my wife’s name is not Erika, she tells me the contact can’t be found. I have to use “my wife” to get Siri to message or call her. It used to work fine, then suddenly stopped.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh Siri tells me I don't have a contact with my friend's name despite the fact it's eastern European and she spells it perfectly.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there no way to save a modern GIF from a browser in this clownshoes OS?

This is my first and last iPhone. If Surface Duo gets cancelled (it will) I might just get a cheap Nokia because at least it won't treat me like an idiot. The amount of conscious decisions this platform denies experienced users is unreal.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

you just tap & hold and press 'Add to Photos' 🤨

https://i.imgur.com/f0KjEPT.mp4

Pivo fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 28, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hopefully Nokia treats you well. My Nokia 9 is a doorstop. My 6.1 is still working well though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

This is my first and last iPhone. If Surface Duo gets cancelled (it will) I might just get a cheap Nokia because at least it won't treat me like an idiot. The amount of conscious decisions this platform denies experienced users is unreal.

You seem very angry about this.

Also what the person above said.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Pivo posted:

you just tap & hold and press 'Add to Photos' 🤨

https://i.imgur.com/f0KjEPT.mp4
I can't seem to do this with the very file you posted in Edge or either Firefox version yet I can do it with my own forum avatar.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 28, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

I can't seem to do this in Edge or either Firefox version yet I can do it with my own forum avatar.

works for me in Firefox, maybe you're just not an experienced enough user hope this helps

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shumagorath posted:

Nokia X.2 have all awful cameras. 4.2 and 6.2 are fine otherwise.

The 5.3 seems to be pretty good, though that screen is Too Big.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Pivo posted:

works for me in Firefox, maybe you're just not an experienced enough user hope this helps

I get playback controls on tap and a haptic bump to nowhere on long press in all three browsers on the file you posted. Are MP4s not considered saveable?

Edit: wait no haptic bump on the video, my point is this was not at all difficult on Android.

Edit 2: so it looks like this was some bullshit of feeder site -> reddit -> imgur where I can finally save the file normally. I definitely didn't have to jump through these hoops before but whatever, my point stands when Apple forces you to register a phone number with iCloud accounts instead of real 2FA or just letting you make adult decisions like "this account isn't valuable and I accept that".

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 28, 2020

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I dunno about anything else, but I've managed to use almost no apple or icloud stuff. Obviously need an apple id for the app store, but otherwise, for example, pretty sure all my contacts got synced from my Gmail, use Google Photos, gcal, etc etc. I have definitely run into your specific complaint trying to save images, but also did on android when it was imgur or Google image search purposely trying to make it annoying.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is the current rumor that the next iPhone will have under-screen TouchID or not? Seems like it’d be useful now that masks have rendered FaceID useless.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That was the rumor before FaceID was introduced so who knows. Some android phones have it. My guess is Apple developed it, got a patent and realized it sucks and went full steam ahead on FaceID instead.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

That was the rumor before FaceID was introduced so who knows. Some android phones have it. My guess is Apple developed it, got a patent and realized it sucks and went full steam ahead on FaceID instead.

My work S10 has it and it works ok?

It only works in one spot though afaik.

The s10 Face ID is completely poo poo though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the current rumor that the next iPhone will have under-screen TouchID or not? Seems like it’d be useful now that masks have rendered FaceID useless.

I haven’t even thought of this. Makes me feel better about sticking with a button iPhone for at least one more year.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Never mind

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 28, 2020

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Please bring Touch ID back please for the love of god i like my iPhone 11 but Face ID is so annoying

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I was really impressed with Face ID when I had an iPhone 10 briefly. I found it to be super accurate but yeah I don’t think I’ll go buttonless until the plague is over. I’m really loving my new SE.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It is impressive and usually accurate but I find myself wanting to unlock my phone while it’s sitting on a surface often enough that having to always pick it up and lean over it like a jackass is noticeably annoying.

Also all the swiping up endlessly is so much more work than just smashing the home button

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Logging into other people's phones is an exercise in frustration (unless you're wearing a mask???)

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
My wife's had 2 LGs which has the touch sensor on the back, pretty much where the Apple logo is on an iPhone, and the newer one has a notch and pretty much the same screen layout as my XR. An iPhone 12 with Face ID and a fingerprint sensor in the Apple logo would probably own.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

sourdough posted:

I dunno about anything else, but I've managed to use almost no apple or icloud stuff. Obviously need an apple id for the app store, but otherwise, for example, pretty sure all my contacts got synced from my Gmail, use Google Photos, gcal, etc etc. I have definitely run into your specific complaint trying to save images, but also did on android when it was imgur or Google image search purposely trying to make it annoying.
Sorry I should have said Apple IDs instead of iCloud. I use as few Apple services on my phone as possible, but recently I reset my old iPad mini and wanted to put a throw-away account on it for travel use. You're required to give them a phone number now and can never remove it even if you contact support. It's already fake 2FA and in this case it's 100% more likely to lock me out at an inconvenient time than protect anything sensitive.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You are definitely bad at technology since every apple id is default simple secondary authentication at first and you must enable two factor authentication. I just created an apple id on Friday night and had to setup the security questions.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A poweruser who completely overestimates his ability to use something? Well, I never.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
No, Apple's 2FA is just a bit poo poo, sorry guys.

You'd know this if you looked into it rather than trying to dunk on Shumagorath based on half-remembered information.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

realbez posted:

It is impressive and usually accurate but I find myself wanting to unlock my phone while it’s sitting on a surface often enough that having to always pick it up and lean over it like a jackass is noticeably annoying.

This is my main frustration. I have my phone on a stand-up wireless charger on my desk at work. When a text comes in, I need to like lean over and bend down so the phone can see my face, and if it doesn't see it correctly, I need to move out of the way and try again. Sure, I could just pick up the phone, but the whole point of the stand-up charger is so I can glance over at any notifications or messages that come in without having to pick up the phone. And getting FaceID to recognize my face if I need to check my phone from bed in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning is impossible too.

I hopped over to MacRumors to check out all the hottest rumors straight off the rumor wire, and there seems to be a disagreement among leakers about whether the under-screen TouchID will be in the 2020 iPhone or the 2021 iPhone. Fingers crossed for 2020.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like FaceID because now I can use my phone with wet fingers

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
For masks, can't you just add another 'face' to Face ID and make one with your mask on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

For masks, can't you just add another 'face' to Face ID and make one with your mask on?

No, the algorithm expects a complete face (eyes and mouth). Apparently you can kind of trick it by strategically taping the inside of the mask to your face so there is some kind of mouth-like shape for it to detect, but :lol: @ doing that.