Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Nurge posted:

Maybe they would but I still stand by my statement that they're very broken people. It's easy to say kill all pigs on the internet or even yell it at your starbucks, but actually seeing it is not something most people could stomach, for a good reason.

Again, what makes you think that? There have been violent uprisings against authorities all throughout history. In Russia, people identified people their own neighbours as counter-revolutionaries to be killed. In China, landlords were dragged into the street and tortured, even buried alive. There's a reason people talk about guillotines right now.

I'm not saying this is the majority of people or even the majority of posters. But I'd wager there are absolutely plenty of people who would watch a cop burn to death and do nothing about it. That's where the situation is, and the cops haven't really done anything to help that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Nurge posted:

Holy gently caress. How did they not alert the EMTs when they found her unconscious with no other hazards in the apartment? That's some heinous bullshit.

Who needs EMTs? She was quite a capable brute. Did you see the way she dragged the young woman down the hall like a sack of potatoes?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

Again, what makes you think that? There have been violent uprisings against authorities all throughout history. In Russia, people identified people their own neighbours as counter-revolutionaries to be killed. In China, landlords were dragged into the street and tortured, even buried alive. There's a reason people talk about guillotines right now.

I'm not saying this is the majority of people or even the majority of posters. But I'd wager there are absolutely plenty of people who would watch a cop burn to death and do nothing about it. That's where the situation is, and the cops haven't really done anything to help that.

Maybe I'm just hoping you are wrong. Because without basic empathy we're all lost.

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

Nurge posted:

Holy gently caress. How did they not alert the EMTs when they found her unconscious with no other hazards in the apartment? That's some heinous bullshit.

They don't actually care about your wellness, as evidenced by them killing and assaulting people. Why would it be any different just because they're not the reason you're unwell?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Nurge posted:

Maybe I'm just hoping you are wrong. Because without basic empathy we're all lost.

When someone posts that "Officer Down" meme, it isn't a joke. It's them wishing they did the killing.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

QueenOfTheEvening posted:

They don't actually care about your wellness, as evidenced by them killing and assaulting people. Why would it be any different just because they're not the reason you're unwell?

Well yeah but this is Canada. I would absolutely trust the Finnish police to do whatever it takes to get me safely to a hospital. It disturbs me that they're that hosed up in the mooseland.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Nurge posted:

I have empathy for a lot of people and have personally intervened in dangerous situations to help people who I figure might not have done the same for me but I was also six years old the first time I saw somebody die violently up close and personal and therefore have no problem with it happening to someone who has done real quantifiable harm to innocent people.

But the point of abolition is in part eradicating mindsets like mine, because violence is not justice no matter how much we try to convince ourselves that it is. Cops deserve to be held accountable and the institution that empowers them ground into dust but they are also people who should have their needs met and who we should try to bring into the new, better world that is necessary. It's a hard truth to hold but that's the work as much as anything else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nurge posted:

Well yeah but this is Canada. I would absolutely trust the Finnish police to do whatever it takes to get me safely to a hospital. It disturbs me that they're that hosed up in the mooseland.

American police have been exporting their culture worldwide as much as possible.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

Cops deserve to be held accountable and the institution that empowers them ground into dust but they are also people who should have their needs met and who we should try to bring into the new, better world that is necessary.

This is why you will never win, your opponents do not believe you are a person who deserves anything. They don’t believe cops should be held accountable and they do think violence is the answer.

This is the reason “liberals” lose, they mistakenly believe everyone deep down feels the way they do.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

This is why you will never win, your opponents do not believe you are a person who deserves anything. They don’t believe cops should be held accountable and they do think violence is the answer.

This is the reason “liberals” lose, they mistakenly believe everyone deep down feels the way they do.

What do you suggest should be done? What should we do with former cops in a new world where police are abolished?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

What do you suggest should be done? What should we do with former cops in a new world where police are abolished?

What we need to do is convince self interested people that abolishing the police is in their best interest.

We need people who are into monster trucks and hooters to unquestionably believe that cops are bad.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

We need people who are into monster trucks and hooters to unquestionably believe that cops are bad.

Man, even this phrase just reveals how much disdain you have for much of the working class. I don't know if you saw this recent polling, but on average, 58% of Americans oppose de-funding the police. (https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americans-like-the-ideas-behind-defunding-the-police-more-than-the-slogan-itself/).

Monster trucks and Hooters? Jesus Christ, man.

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 24, 2020

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

Man, even this phrase just reveals how much disdain you have for much of the working class.

I’m into monster trucks and tits and weed man, I’m upset that all the people on “my side” act like moral purity is important. The right is always using the lefts eagerness to please/not offend as a weapon against them.

Just look at all the people on the left being more upset about destruction of property and protesting wrong instead of seeing that cops are murderers.

You think it’s dumb and that I’m not serious, but I think we need NASCAR and mainstream sports in on this poo poo like they are in on white supremacy.

The people who oppose ideas like abolishing/defunding the police didn’t reason into those positions, why are we acting like they just need to be reasoned with? Why not just focus on making ideas like these popular among the right groups?

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 24, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ElCondemn posted:

I'm not a liberal.

My feelings about violence and justice and my beliefs about the best way to change the world are two separate things. I try not to let the former get in the way of the work of the latter.

I agree with your point that we need to bring more people into the project, but my argument is not about moral purity it's about walking the talk of what abolitionists say we believe in. That's not an unreasonable standard and it's not an unwinnable fight either.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CelestialScribe posted:

Many, likely most, deserve imprisonment. Some may be able to function in public after extensive programming. All should be considered potential domestic terrorists.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

I’m into monster trucks and tits and weed man, I’m upset that all the people on “my side” act like moral purity is important. The right is always using the lefts eagerness to please/not offend as a weapon against them.

Sorry, I thought you were just calling people stupid.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Many, likely most, deserve imprisonment. Some may be able to function in public after extensive programming. All should be considered potential domestic terrorists.

That isn't going to happen in the real world. So, what do we do with them?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then I guess you'll just have to wait for them to commit some sort of DV or other random violence before you sort them out. I doubt it'll take long.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Then I guess you'll just have to wait for them to commit some sort of DV or other random violence before you sort them out. I doubt it'll take long.

I swear I’m not just being a poo poo, but in the context of a world where policing is distributed or abolished, what does that look like? Like, how you are imagining that scenario goes?

SalamInsurrection
Jun 8, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Yuzenn posted:

I asked this in the other thread, do you think people are inherently violent? In the western world?

At least some of us are. I can tell you I've struggled with violent thoughts and urges ever since I was a child, and I'm fairly well off and had no known childhood trauma. Even with close friends, I occasionally have the sudden desire to just see them get gunned down for some slight. I have to stay away from alcohol as I've proven to be a mean drunk. Now, of course over the years I've learned how to control those urges and operate like a functional person in society and never had a serious incident occur, but not everyone has the benefit of that kind of mental discipline.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Violence will happen and we just kind of have to accept that. Not because it's human nature (though to some extent when nothing else is an option just to have a chance at surviving what else do you do right?) but because violence is necessary for state control. Ignoring that can of worms though, assuming we do abolish the police as an institution in the states, the logical next step would be to weed out the worst offenders of police brutality and abuse from the top down and jail them.

Hopefully we've pulled back on how god awful the US prison system is fairly soon after they're prosecuted and given proper punishment and sentences. If that ends up the case, we can reinvest all of those tax dollars to fund a baseline standard of living and access to healthcare and such so that once they do their time and get out most everyone is financially stable and healthy by default. If they wanted to be a part of whatever systems replaced policing they'd undergo psych evals and instead of being catch-all, there would be specific social worker roles in order to help those who have or are likely to commit crimes in the future.

Eventually, in a society we can't even picture because that's how generational change works, public officials having anywhere near as much authority to do what cops do would be absurd.

That is, as far as I have been able to figure, the most optimistic future we can imagine if we want to abolish the police. And it's a lot of stipulations that no one can guarantee will happen. Just please ignore that we have a really tight time limit to do that and then some because of fuckin' climate change

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

CelestialScribe posted:

That isn't going to happen in the real world. So, what do we do with them?

Who cares? We do not have a heated debate and discussion when a major corporation shuts down a plant or moves their work overseas - all of those people have to enter the fun merry go round of capitalism, why would cops be any different? Maybe they should code.

And you cited "public" sentiment polling but again what does that even matter? Popularity is nonsense vs doing the right thing, most social movements are unpopular in their time because people do not like change, it's something inherently scary about being an active participant in not only self analysis but analysis of the state but it needs doing.

SalamInsurrection posted:

At least some of us are. I can tell you I've struggled with violent thoughts and urges ever since I was a child, and I'm fairly well off and had no known childhood trauma. Even with close friends, I occasionally have the sudden desire to just see them get gunned down for some slight. I have to stay away from alcohol as I've proven to be a mean drunk. Now, of course over the years I've learned how to control those urges and operate like a functional person in society and never had a serious incident occur, but not everyone has the benefit of that kind of mental discipline.

Thanks for your honesty and i'm no professional but you should definitely see someone about this if I'm being perfectly honest with you.

In answering my own question I do not think people are violent as long as their basic needs are met. I think that the violence we see on most occasions is rooted in poverty, stress (largely socioeconomic stress), and lack of general resources or protection of those resources. I am not ignorant to the fact that anyone can be violent, that's not what i'm saying but instead of dealing with the fact of what makes people get violent, we just presuppose they are violent. You can't get rid of all violence but you sure can eliminate a lot of it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I think it’s also important to note that police don’t play a factor in violent crime (unless they’re committing it). Worrying about what people might do without police is really a distraction from the discussion. Defunding or abolishing police isn’t going to fundamentally change human behavior, violence will still exist but that is a problem to be solved through other means because police are definitely not working.

Providing housing, entertainment, and opportunity impacts general violent behavior more than police ever have.

Saw a study a while ago that during big movie releases crime dropped on those weekends, if people were motivated by police presence we’d see strong correlation and we don’t

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

ElCondemn posted:

Just look at all the people on the left being more upset about destruction of property and protesting wrong instead of seeing that cops are murderers.

You think it’s dumb and that I’m not serious, but I think we need NASCAR and mainstream sports in on this poo poo like they are in on white supremacy.

The people who oppose ideas like abolishing/defunding the police didn’t reason into those positions, why are we acting like they just need to be reasoned with? Why not just focus on making ideas like these popular among the right groups?

I more or less agree with this which is why I don't care to get in the weeds and instead try and make people who object seem stupid, venal or evil and myself seem cool, funny and smart.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Community fights sex trafficking that cops ignore, recovers missing kids while cops coverup: https://twitter.com/partymom6/status/1275595157098893315?s=20

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/1275738275215523840

If this is my last post here on this Dead Gay Comedy forum, please let it be known that people that push "reforms" have no interest in doing even the base level of reforms.

#abolishthepolice

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xItaRUSPQXY

Video on the CHAZ and how people are adapting to the lack of hierarchy and cops.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 27, 2020

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Scare tactics!

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/1276325062216421381

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Watching awesome threads like these devolve due to relentless bad faith posting is exactly what's wrong with this forum.

Don't you threaten me with a good time.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Edit: After running extensive simulations in SimCity, I can indeed confirm that defunding the police department will cause the city's crime rate to skyrocket.

BoldFace fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 27, 2020

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Get a load of these fuckers!

Las Vegas police plan $280 an hour fee for body cam footage. Critics say that violates law

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/06/24/las-vegas-police-charge-280-per-hour-body-cam-footage/3250074001/

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1276923274157490177?s=21

Can someone post the text?

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
These are commendable steps on the way to greater reform (hopefully).

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
excited for the pilot incident to be "well the cop says his bodycam didnt work and its not his fault, and we believe him, so we're granting an exception"

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Verviticus posted:

excited for the pilot incident to be "well the cop says his bodycam didnt work and its not his fault, and we believe him, so we're granting an exception"

They have a policy against killing unarmed people too, seems like a pretty toothless promise.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I can't say it's very interesting - it's basically a sympathetic biography of the man, going so far as to note the time he helped classmates with their homework on the playground when he was six years old. It quotes a number of other people saying "maybe the problem is that the system is broken, not just a few individual bad apples?????" but the article itself carefully avoids drawing any kind of conclusion at all.

quote:

MINNEAPOLIS — There were two black men at the scene of the police killing in Minneapolis last month that roiled the nation. One, George Floyd, was sprawled on the asphalt, with a white officer’s knee on his neck. The other black man, Alex Kueng, was a rookie police officer who held his back as Mr. Floyd struggled to breathe.

Mr. Floyd, whose name has been painted on murals and scrawled on protest signs, has been laid to rest. Mr. Kueng, who faces charges of aiding and abetting in Mr. Floyd’s death, is out on bail, hounded at the supermarket by strangers and denounced by some family members.

Long before Mr. Kueng was arrested, he had wrestled with the issue of police abuse of black people, joining the force in part to help protect people close to him from police aggression. He argued that diversity could force change in a Police Department long accused of racism.

He had seen one sibling arrested and treated poorly, in his view, by sheriff’s deputies. He had found himself defending his decision to join the police force, saying he thought it was the best way to fix a broken system. He had clashed with friends over whether public demonstrations could actually make things better.

“He said, ‘Don’t you think that that needs to be done from the inside?’” his mother, Joni Kueng, recalled him saying after he watched protesters block a highway years ago. “That’s part of the reason why he wanted to become a police officer — and a black police officer on top of it — is to bridge that gap in the community, change the narrative between the officers and the black community.”

As hundreds of thousands of people demonstrated against the police after Mr. Floyd’s killing on May 25, Mr. Kueng became part of a national debate over police violence toward black people, a symbol of the very sort of policing he had long said he wanted to stop.

Derek Chauvin, the officer who placed his knee on Mr. Floyd’s neck for more than eight minutes, has been most widely associated with the case. He faces charges of second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter; Mr. Kueng and two other former officers were charged with aiding and abetting the killing. At 26, Mr. Kueng was the youngest and least experienced officer at the scene, on only his third shift as a full officer.

The arrest of Mr. Kueng, whose mother is white and whose father was from Nigeria, has brought anguish to his friends and family. “It’s a gut punch,” Ms. Kueng said. “Here you are, you’ve raised this child, you know who he is inside and out. We’re such a racially diverse family. To be wrapped up in a racially motivated incident like this is just unfathomable.”

Two of Mr. Kueng’s siblings, Taylor and Radiance, both of whom are African-American, called for the arrests of all four officers, including their brother. They joined protests in Minneapolis.

In a Facebook Live video, Taylor Kueng, 21, appeared with the head of the local N.A.A.C.P. to speak of the injustice that befell Mr. Floyd, acknowledging being related to Mr. Kueng but never mentioning his name.

Mr. Kueng’s sister Radiance posted a video of Mr. Floyd’s final minutes on Facebook. “Just broke my heart,” she wrote. In an interview, she said that as a black man, her brother should have intervened. She said she planned to change her last name in part because she did not want to be associated with her brother’s actions.

“I don’t care if it was his third day at work or not,” she said. “He knows right from wrong.”

Through his life, Mr. Kueng straddled two worlds, black and white.

Mr. Kueng, whose full name is J. Alexander Kueng (pronounced “king”), was raised by his mother, whom he lived with until last year. His father was absent.

As a child, Mr. Kueng sometimes asked for siblings. Joni Kueng, who lived in the Shingle Creek neighborhood in north Minneapolis, signed up with an African-American adoption agency.

When Alex was 5, Ms. Kueng brought home a baby boy who had been abandoned at a hospital. Alex soon asked for a sister; Radiance arrived when he was 11. Taylor and a younger brother came in 2009, when Alex was about 16.

Radiance Kueng, 21, said their adoptive mother did not talk about race. “Race was not really a topic in our household, unfortunately,” she said. “For her adopting as many black kids as she did — I didn’t get that conversation from her. I feel like that should have been a conversation that was had.”

Growing up, Mr. Kueng and his family made repeated trips to Haiti, helping at an orphanage. Mr. Kueng and his siblings took a break from school to volunteer there after the earthquake in 2010.

Joni Kueng, 56, likes to say that the Kuengs are a family of doers, not talkers.

“I had to stay out of the race conversations because I was the minority in the household,” Ms. Kueng said in her first interview since her son’s arrest. She said that race was not an issue with her, but that she was conflicted. “It didn’t really matter, but it does matter to them because they are African-American. And so they had to be able to have an outlet to tell their stories and their experience as well, especially having a white mom.”

Ms. Kueng taught math at the schools her children went to, where the student body was often mostly Hmong, African-American and Latino. Classmates described Alex Kueng as friends with everyone, a master of juggling a soccer ball and a defender against bullies. Photos portray him with a sly smile.

Darrow Jones said he first met Mr. Kueng on the playground when he was 6. Mr. Jones was trying to finish his multiplication homework. Mr. Kueng helped Mr. Jones and then invited him into a game of tag.

When Mr. Jones’s mother died in 2008, Ms. Kueng took him in for as long as a month at a time.

By high school, Mr. Kueng had found soccer, and soon that was all he wanted to do. He became captain of the soccer team; he wanted to turn pro. The quote next to his senior yearbook picture proclaimed, “We ignore failures and strive for success.”

Mr. Kueng went to Monroe College in New Rochelle, N.Y., to play soccer and study business. But after surgery on both knees, soccer proved impossible. Mr. Kueng quit. Back in Minneapolis, he enrolled in technical college and supported himself catching shoplifters at Macy’s.

About that time, he started talking about joining the police, Ms. Kueng recalled. She said she was nervous, for his safety and also because of the troubled relationship between the Minneapolis police and residents.

Given his background, Mr. Kueng thought he had the ability to bridge the gap between white and black worlds, Mr. Jones said. He often did not see the same level of racism that friends felt. Mr. Jones, who is black, recalled a road trip a few years ago to Utah with Mr. Kueng, a white friend and Mr. Kueng’s girlfriend, who is Hmong. Mr. Jones said he had to explain to Mr. Kueng why people were staring at the group.

“Once we got to Utah, we walked into a store, and literally everybody’s eyes were on us,” recalled Mr. Jones, whose skin is darker than Mr. Kueng’s. “I said, ‘Alex, that’s because you’re walking in here with a black person. The reason they’re staring at us is because you’re here with me.’”

By February 2019, Mr. Kueng had made up his mind: He signed up as a police cadet.

Only a few months later, his sibling Taylor, a longtime supporter of Black Lives Matter who had volunteered as a counselor at a black heritage camp and as a mentor to at-risk black youths, had a confrontation with law enforcement.

Taylor Kueng and a friend saw local sheriff’s deputies questioning two men in a downtown Minneapolis shopping district about drinking in public. They intervened. Taylor Kueng used a cellphone to record video of the deputies putting the friend, in a striped summer dress, on the ground. “You’re hurting me!” the friend shouted.

As the confrontation continued, a deputy turned to Taylor Kueng and said, “Put your hands behind your back.” “For what?” Taylor Kueng asked several times. “Because,” said the deputy, threatening to use his Taser.

Taylor Kueng called home. Mr. Kueng and their mother rushed to get bail and then to the jail. “Don’t worry, I got you,” Mr. Kueng told his sibling, hugging Taylor, their mother recalled.

Mr. Kueng reminded his sibling that those were sheriff’s deputies, not the city force he was joining, and criticized their behavior, his mother recalled.

After Taylor Kueng’s video went public, the city dropped the misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and obstructing the legal process. The sheriff’s office announced an official review of the arrests, which resulted in no discipline.

Mr. Kueng’s choice to become a police officer caused a rift in his friendship with Mr. Jones.

“It was very clear where we stood on that,” said Mr. Jones, a Black Lives Matter supporter who protested on the streets after the deaths of Jamar Clark and Philando Castile at the hands of Minneapolis-area police. “Our fundamental disagreement around law enforcement is not that I believe cops are bad people. I just believe that the system needs to be completely wiped out and replaced. It’s the difference between reform and rebuilding.”

After Mr. Kueng became a cadet, Mr. Jones went from seeing Mr. Kueng twice a month to maybe three times a year. He said he did not even tell Mr. Kueng when the police pursued him for nothing and then let him go.

In December, Mr. Kueng graduated from the police academy. For most of his field training, Mr. Chauvin, with 19 years on the job, was his training officer.

At one point, Mr. Kueng, upset, called his mother. He said he had done something during training that bothered a supervising officer, who reamed him out. Ms. Kueng did not know if that supervisor was Mr. Chauvin.

Mr. Chauvin also extended Mr. Kueng’s training period. He felt Mr. Kueng was meeting too often with a fellow police trainee, Thomas Lane, when responding to calls, rather than handling the calls on his own, Ms. Kueng said.

But on May 22, Mr. Kueng officially became one of about 80 black officers on a police force of almost 900. In recent years, the department, not as racially diverse as the city’s population, has tried to increase the number of officers of color, with limited success.

That evening, other officers held a small party at the Third Precinct station to celebrate Mr. Kueng’s promotion. The next evening, he worked his first full shift as an officer, inside the station. On that Sunday, he worked the 4 p.m. to 2 a.m. patrol shift, his first on the streets.

On May 25, Mr. Kueng’s third day on the job, Mr. Kueng and Mr. Lane, now partnered up despite both being freshly minted rookies, were the first officers to answer a call of a counterfeit $20 bill being passed at a corner store. They found Mr. Floyd in a car outside.

After they failed to get Mr. Floyd into the back of a squad car, Mr. Chauvin and Tou Thao, another officer, showed up.

As Mr. Chauvin jammed his knee into the back of Mr. Floyd’s neck, Mr. Kueng held down Mr. Floyd’s back, according to a probable cause statement filed by prosecutors.

Mr. Chauvin kept his knee there as Mr. Floyd repeated “I can’t breathe” and “mama” and “please.” Through the passing minutes, Mr. Kueng did nothing to intervene, prosecutors say. After Mr. Floyd stopped moving, Mr. Kueng checked Mr. Floyd’s pulse. “I couldn’t find one,” Mr. Kueng told the other officers.

Critics of the police said the fact that none of the junior officers stopped Mr. Chauvin showed that the system itself needed to be overhauled.

“How do you as an individual think that you’re going to be able to change that system, especially when you’re going in at a low level?” said Michelle Gross, president of Communities United Against Police Brutality in Minneapolis. “You’re not going to feel OK to say, ‘Stop, senior officer.’ The culture is such, that that kind of intervening would be greatly discouraged.”

All four officers have been fired. All four face 40 years in prison. Mr. Kueng, who was released on bail on June 19, declined through his lawyer to be interviewed. He is set to appear in court on Monday.

A day after Mr. Floyd’s death, Mr. Jones learned that Mr. Kueng was one of the officers who had been present. Around midnight, Mr. Jones called Mr. Kueng. They talked for 40 minutes — about what, Mr. Jones would not say — and they cried.

“I’m feeling a lot of sadness and a lot of disappointment,” Mr. Jones said. “A lot of us believe he should have stepped in and should have done something.”

He added: “It’s really hard. Because I do have those feelings and I won’t say I don’t. But though I feel sad about what’s occurred, he still has my unwavering support. Because we grew up together, and I love him.”

Mr. Jones said he had gone to the protests but could not bring himself to join in.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
That's one helluva hook, officer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtWuMmAOk0g

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

I can't say it's very interesting - it's basically a sympathetic biography of the man, going so far as to note the time he helped classmates with their homework on the playground when he was six years old. It quotes a number of other people saying "maybe the problem is that the system is broken, not just a few individual bad apples?????" but the article itself carefully avoids drawing any kind of conclusion at all.

It's so funny that all the cops get "humanizing" pieces while the media tried to drag George Floyd down as some sort of criminal and not perfect person. gently caress humanizing this guy. Anyone who could stand there watching a man slowly die is a person without morals and just as sick of an individual.

The fact that a "few bad apples" is even a thing is so strange considering the entire phrase ends with "spoils the whole bunch". Long story short, ACAB.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Los Angeles update:

- We're cutting $150 million of the LAPD budget
- We're slashing the school cop budget and taking them out of schools
- Chief school cop resigned over the budget cut.
- Council has voted to move towards replacing the LAPD.

A decent start. Not where it needs to be yet, at all. But LA is huge and anything is still a big deal.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Los Angeles update:

- We're cutting $150 million of the LAPD budget

Seems like they're only cutting it from a planned increase so it's not actually reduced in any real way.

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1278433158145413128?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

WampaLord posted:

Seems like they're only cutting it from a planned increase so it's not actually reduced in any real way.

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1278433158145413128?s=20

Yeah the budget was ready to go into affect with the full amount before the protests hit.

If we had cut it from the current budget, and then added the full increase, it would be the same thing.

I already said that it isn't enough. This is a long slog, and there's no guarantee of winning. LAPD is huge and LASD is also huge.