Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

enjeti is very fash and like tucker carlson if he makes a "good point" you can easily just find someone else who's not a fascist making the same point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Juul-Whip posted:

enjeti is very fash and like tucker carlson if he makes a "good point" you can easily just find someone else who's not a fascist making the same point

Thanks for pointing out these other sources for all of us to learn from.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

Thanks for pointing out these other sources for all of us to learn from.
you have an entire thread right here full of sources

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i believe i was the one back in august who mentioned the 9/11 put options and chicago exchange itt

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

In fact, Ehud Barak’s relationship was probably the reason Epstein got nabbed in NY. He was going into the Israeli elections against the beleaguered, corrupt-as-all-gently caress Netanyahu, who had a lot of relations to the SDNY.

After Epstein got nabbed, Israeli media (the vast majority of which is friendly to Netanyahu) went ham on the Barak-Epstein relationship. This is also notable because Israeli media was largely the only media to do so.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...eaner-1.7489402

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Sagaar is fashy? I only ever see him during Krystal's isolated segments on YouTube and he seems to usually be agreeing with her. What's his deal then?

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
I’m still waiting on some examples of Sagaar being a fascist.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Saagar used to work for Tucker Carlson and is trying to become a Carlson Jr. He is quite fashy. "The Hill Rising" is a new version of "Crossfire" run by "The Hill" which is largely a neo-niberal rag. Krystal often makes good points on their youtube show, in fact it's extremely refreshing to see someone behind a news desk expound her points of view. But since they seem to agree all the time, the central thrust of the show seems to be "Hey, the anti-corporate left and the anti-corporate right need to hold hands in coalition, because that's worked real well in the past."

I didn't criticize the goon who posted the video, nor are the points made in the video wrong, nor do you have to discount the points made on the show because Saagar is a poo poo-head. But it's a good idea to be wary of right-wingers when they "I agree with you, Epstein didn't kill himself." They aren't interested in solutions that involve dismantling the power structures that require people like Epstein to continue functioning.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2020/06/isnt-right-wing-populism-just-fascism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA-cdz_CYqw

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

I stand corrected, thanks. :stare:

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

A4R8 posted:

I stand corrected, thanks. :stare:

You're quite welcome.

If anyone wants better sources, Whitney Webb is always invaluable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGtDj8drWvE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kItJSpQeyCg

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

i believe i was the one back in august who mentioned the 9/11 put options and chicago exchange itt

You honestly might have been the one who discussed the Chicago connections, but the podcast I'm thinking of is this one:

https://quoththeraven.podbean.com/e/quoth-the-raven-146-whitney-webb-blows-the-lid-off-epsteinclinton-orwellian-gun-control-and-911/

Turns out she's been on that show a few times, that was just the one I had listened to.

https://quoththeraven.podbean.com/?s=whitney+webb

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

You're quite welcome.

If anyone wants better sources, Whitney Webb is always invaluable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGtDj8drWvE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kItJSpQeyCg

Thanks for this, I missed the second part after they took a month to post it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

gh0stpinballa posted:

i believe i was the one back in august who mentioned the 9/11 put options

i love how these plus all that DoD money going missing happened the day before lol

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

In fact, Ehud Barak’s relationship was probably the reason Epstein got nabbed in NY. He was going into the Israeli elections against the beleaguered, corrupt-as-all-gently caress Netanyahu, who had a lot of relations to the SDNY.

After Epstein got nabbed, Israeli media (the vast majority of which is friendly to Netanyahu) went ham on the Barak-Epstein relationship. This is also notable because Israeli media was largely the only media to do so.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...eaner-1.7489402

If Ghislaine was a Mossad asset, what made Israel suddenly decide to throw a huge part of the pedo ring under the bus by drawing attention to it?

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

If Ghislaine was a Mossad asset, what made Israel suddenly decide to throw a huge part of the pedo ring under the bus by drawing attention to it?

Multiple posters have been saying this all is some kind of internecine conflict between different factions of the ruling class.

I mean poo poo it's in the post you quoted - bibi won't have a problem throwing his opponent under the bus if it means he gets to keep power. If you think they 1) care about collateral damage all of a sudden or 2) actually believe that ok, yeah, this is the one and only instance ever where we will actually face repercussions for our actions, idk what else to tell you. The only people who even went down over this are expendable cutouts like epstein - wexner's still the richest man in ohio, ghislaine is still walking free, even that bastard randy bowie who wexner kept around apparently just to intimidate and murder children is will smith's bodyguard right now.

I guess my question is what negative effects do you think drawing attention to this has had/will have on this operation?

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That makes the assumption that Isreal and the Mossad are somehow cohesive organizations with common goals.

This was posted a few pages up, but there was a good summation of Historian Carol Quigley's arguments in The Yankee and Cowboy War:

"The arguments for a conspiracy theory are indeed often dismissed on the grounds that no one conspiracy could possibly control everything. But that is not what this theory sets out to show. Quigley is not saying that modern history is the invention of an esoteric cabal designing events omnipotently to suit its ends. The implicit claim, on the contrary, is that a multitude of conspiracies contend in the night. Clandestinism is not the usage of a handful of rogues, it is a formalized practice of an entire class in which a thousand hands spontaneously join. Conspiracy is the normal continuation of normal politics by normal means."

Broadly, politicians, intelligence services, financiers and corporations consist of petty actors with petty squabbles and have different interests and will often go after each other to stay on top, even against members of the same class or organization. The only consistent belief amongst them is that they deserve power, money and influence and you don't. An investor in manufacturing might bribe a politician for weaker environmental regulations, so they can dump sludge anywhere, while a real-estate investor might bribe a politician for tougher regulations, so he can rent condos to tenants who desire sludge-free living, but both would lobby the government for upper-class tax breaks and a lower minimum wage.

Netanyahu, Barak and the Mossad might agree that Palestinians are sub-human, but one faced losing office and potentially going to prison. It's not much of a stretch that he would throw the others under the bus to stay prime minister.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks, great answer btw

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Gonna be a lame nerd for bringing up anime but Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex touches on this. There are competing government organizations and companies with illicit goals waging wars with eachother and cooperating when necessary. Normal people are the collateral damage.

I want more fiction that portrays power structures as being seperate tribes of psychopaths who share a common hatred of us all.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Regulus74 posted:

You honestly might have been the one who discussed the Chicago connections, but the podcast I'm thinking of is this one:

https://quoththeraven.podbean.com/e/quoth-the-raven-146-whitney-webb-blows-the-lid-off-epsteinclinton-orwellian-gun-control-and-911/

Turns out she's been on that show a few times, that was just the one I had listened to.

https://quoththeraven.podbean.com/?s=whitney+webb

Thanks for this, I missed the second part after they took a month to post it.

gonna have a listen to these

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Elderbean posted:

Gonna be a lame nerd for bringing up anime but Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex touches on this. There are competing government organizations and companies with illicit goals waging wars with eachother and cooperating when necessary. Normal people are the collateral damage.

I want more fiction that portrays power structures as being seperate tribes of psychopaths who share a common hatred of us all.

That's why SAC was a masterpiece and the other series were trash.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

There's a lot of poo poo in SAC that's relevant today. Particularly the obfuscation of the truth through the sheer vastness of the internet, and communities fragmenting and radicalizing because of it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Elderbean posted:

There's a lot of poo poo in SAC that's relevant today. Particularly the obfuscation of the truth through the sheer vastness of the internet, and communities fragmenting and radicalizing because of it.

Yeah the future is bleak. Don't even have a cyber brain for my troubles.

Remember America split into 3 in SAC

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Elderbean posted:

Early Game of Thrones

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Early Game of Thrones

Yeah, totally, then it went to hell.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Are the books worth reading? Good opinion havers responses only please

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I stopped at one point because I was just swamped with work and I've been mixed about revisiting them. They felt fresh at the time, but given the cultural juggernaut the show ended up being and how it ended up influencing other shows (arguably for the worse) I don't know if they would be worth the time now, but I think that's from being put off by the shows decline.

The books generally do a better job of enforcing their themes than the show and they're still ongoing, so GRRM doesn't have to commit to that poo poo ending.

Elderbean has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Jun 28, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Of course! The books were so good they were the reason the world was excited to see where the story was headed. Nearly all the good parts of the show were taken from the books verbatim.

The problem is the books just abruptly stop, leaving all the mysteries of why things are happening unrevealed. A hundred different plot threads flying loose in the breeze. Hundreds of characters you've carefully learned that never find their purpose.

Of course the show tried to cash in by continuing past the books with different writers. Then the rich sexpest producers said gently caress it and started making all the decision themselves and did worse at everything than seems possible. Every decision made about the whole S8 production was indefensible. Amateur hour on a billion dollar budget.

It's not one of those shows where you can still enjoy the early parts, because every character's arc depends on the resolution of mysteries that we now know totally suck. Watching late GOT retroactively ruins all the early characters, as it will ruin the books for you if you've already read them. Like, ruined so bad that the biggest media cultural phenomenon I can remember just stopped being a conversation topic instantly. The world just preferred to totally forget it.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 05:56 on Jun 28, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

In my opinion, yes, I love the books, including the spin-offs. They're not perfect, but there's enough that even the weakest (Dance with Dragons) kept me engaged throughout.

And they're way better at portraying complex politics and human characters than the show.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Also, what pieces of fiction, particularly movies or shows, really nail the hosed-up sexual appetites of the elite?

You Were Never Really Here
Eyes Wide Shut
Society
Altered Carbon
True Detective
8MM
Ex Machina (Not the sole focus of the movie, but a rich guy creates sentient robots and fucks them)
Kill List

Elderbean has issued a correction as of 06:05 on Jun 28, 2020

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Eyes Wide Shut
Society
Altered Carbon
True Detective seasons 1 and 3
8MM
Ex Machina (Not the sole focus of the movie, but a rich guy creates sentient robots and fucks them)
Kill List

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh yeah 8MM. hosed up.
Also Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
thanks for the opinions. I need a thicc book or two for the next shutdown

Elderbean posted:

Also, what pieces of fiction, particularly movies or shows, really nail the hosed-up sexual appetites of the elite?

Eyes Wide Shut
Society
Altered Carbon
True Detective
8MM
Kill List

Loose-ish fits:

The Invitation
Would You Rather
Cheap Thrills

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Oh yeah, the second Ghost in the Shell movie is entirely about the yakuza putting copies of kids brains into sexdolls.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Elderbean posted:

Oh yeah, the second Ghost in the Shell movie is entirely about the yakuza putting copies of kids brains into sexdolls.

So they stretched out one episode of SAC into a movie?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Of course! The books were so good they were the reason the world was excited to see where the story was headed. Nearly all the good parts of the show were taken from the books verbatim.

The problem is the books just abruptly stop, leaving all the mysteries of why things are happening unrevealed. A hundred different plot threads flying loose in the breeze. Hundreds of characters you've carefully learned that never find their purpose.

Of course the show tried to cash in by continuing past the books with different writers. Then the rich sexpest producers said gently caress it and started making all the decision themselves and did worse at everything than seems possible. Every decision made about the whole S8 production was indefensible. Amateur hour on a billion dollar budget.

It's not one of those shows where you can still enjoy the early parts, because every character's arc depends on the resolution of mysteries that we now know totally suck. Watching late GOT retroactively ruins all the early characters, as it will ruin the books for you if you've already read them. Like, ruined so bad that the biggest media cultural phenomenon I can remember just stopped being a conversation topic instantly. The world just preferred to totally forget it.

the show phenomena is pretty funny tbh but yeah if you just stick to the books george rr martin is pretty good at writing fantasy (even if he's also pretty bad at finishing it)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he's helping write the new Fromsoft game which tbh is way more important than a song of ice and fire

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

They're not perfect, but there's enough that even the weakest (Dance with Dragons) kept me engaged throughout.

It was the fourth book, A Feast for Crows, that I found interminable.

One thing that works for and against the series is the POV style of narrative. You end up preferring certain characters passages and dreading others. The first three books contain all relevant points of view simultaneously while 4 and 5 split the characters between them so there is no Tyrion in 4, no Arya in 5, etc. but they are happening concurrently.

Some things recur so often they become jokes. The endless descriptions of food. Lots of old man horniness. Words are wind. Overall I recommend the books if you can find a way to avoid ever getting into the show.

e: in the Epstein thread? I guess I see how we got here

Littlefinger is basically the Epstein of GoT. maybe more Ghislaine Maxwell when I think about it, he himself never really seems to gently caress, it’s more the deception, curious rise to prominence, and corrupting further the annals of power that is Epstein esque

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 12:40 on Jun 28, 2020

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
maxwell hosed, it's all over the court docs and Maria Farmer's story

ASOIAF is good, worth reading if you enjoy fantasy at all and maybe even if you don't. Just find the boiled leather version that combines the last two books so everything is chronological.

Elderbean posted:

Eyes Wide Shut
Society
Altered Carbon
True Detective
8MM
Kill List

The Red Riding mini series

EDIT: The Tall Man might count too although it essentially has a pro trafficking message and I think it's from the same guy who did Martyrs which is more about the torture/murder aspect of the cabal.

Yasuomi Umetsu's Kite OVA definitely nails the hosed up sexual appetites of elites and cops but it does so by showing everything.

Regulus74 has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Jun 28, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Feats for Crows is actually my favourite book, just a bleak look at how commoners got hosed by the aristocracy.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Elderbean posted:

Eyes Wide Shut
Society
Altered Carbon
True Detective
8MM
Kill List

The Counselor, not in sex but in the relationship ‘normal’ people have to real power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

So they stretched out one episode of SAC into a movie?

the movie is a lot better