Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Glad to see the proscription on mod action for non perma punishments has once again just been ignored without public announcement (see lepers colony and above)

Gee I wonder why nobody trusts mods when the LC is a wall of "stfu" to mod criticism.

Also this and iospace talking about how actually it is the goons who are wrong in the mod thread in qcs is everything wrong with moderation rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Giga Gaia posted:

lk shouldnt be a mod because they're like 12 and 12 year olds should live mas and not have to deal with elderly forum posters talking about the lindy hop and shooting elected officials in the dick with tommy guns

I’m a big fan of this post

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

T-man posted:

Also this and iospace talking about how actually it is the goons who are wrong in the mod thread in qcs is everything wrong with moderation rn

i like how they're trying to put on the polite PR I See And Hear You facade and then iospace just blunders in like "WHY SHOULD I RESPECT THESE FILTHY SERFS WHO TALKED BACK TO THEIR BETTERS"

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Tbf this is goons we're talking about so there is a lot of unwashed mass around.

I hope the continuing drama is plot from jefferey to drive the price down.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I will post feet pics in exchange for being elected head mod of QCS. I'll make Fluffdaddy look like the good cop.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yinlock posted:

i like how they're trying to put on the polite PR I See And Hear You facade and then iospace just blunders in like "WHY SHOULD I RESPECT THESE FILTHY SERFS WHO TALKED BACK TO THEIR BETTERS"

tbf it's completely in character for them lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Son of Thunderbeast was no angel

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Tbf this is goons we're talking about so there is a lot of unwashed mass around.

I hope the continuing drama is plot from jefferey to drive the price down.

I'll have you know my mass is fairly well washed, goonsir

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

i think it’s absolutely loving hilarious how goons simultaneously want mods to be a cohesive group with detailed communication between each other about everything they do onsite and offsite for accountability and completely independent of each other with no obligations to each other whatsoever

but hey im dealing with my own community transparency/modding crisis as a mod in an extremely non-sa space so im just laughing at seeing it play out ten times worse here

nobody is happy for reasons that are a mix of valid and bullshit and nobody will ever be happy with the outcome because complex outcomes always have compromises in them, and some of the things ive seen demanded are patently ridiculous. to quote WOPR, the only way to win is not to play, organized communities are a sham and doomed to failure and we should all live in independent off-grid cabins writing manifestos and sending them to the new york times

:anarchistsay:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yinlock posted:

iospace is consistently more aggro than fluffdaddy, which is a hell of an accomplishment

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
The trick is to be the bad guy from the start, then you can only overperform

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

corgski posted:

i think it’s absolutely loving hilarious how goons simultaneously want mods to be a cohesive group with detailed communication between each other about everything they do onsite and offsite for accountability and completely independent of each other with no obligations to each other whatsoever

but hey im dealing with my own community transparency/modding crisis as a mod in an extremely non-sa space so im just laughing at seeing it play out ten times worse here

nobody is happy for reasons that are a mix of valid and bullshit and nobody will ever be happy with the outcome because complex outcomes always have compromises in them, and some of the things ive seen demanded are patently ridiculous. to quote WOPR, the only way to win is not to play, organized communities are a sham and doomed to failure and we should all live in independent off-grid cabins writing manifestos and sending them to the new york times

i mean i think the two week struggle session idea floated earlier is out there too but there's a lot of small things that can be done. I don't think anyone wants mods to be more disconnected and out of touch either? From what it sounds like in the qcs lowtax-mods most of them have no idea what happens most of the time and are also doing too much.

but yes also flatten all hierarchies even dumb internet ones

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

corgski posted:

"any accountability whatsoever" isn't a huge ask

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Homeless Friend posted:

The trick is to be the bad guy from the start, then you can only overperform

good trick for life in general but especially when you decide to moderate an internet forum because youre dumb as dirt and your brain is just a haystack over top of a salt lick

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don’t think asking mods to answer questions about hosed up things they do is a big ask. the usual mod MO (CSPAM mods aside) is to not show up in the thread at all, but send other mods to vouch for your character instead.

then it all either blows over (and nothing changes) or explodes so badly that they post an insane screed and quit (see: PPJ, Burt). just loving engaging and listening to your peers is important, and usually gets completely ignored for as long as possible.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yinlock posted:

"any accountability whatsoever" isn't a huge ask

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fly Molo posted:

I don’t think asking mods to answer questions about hosed up things they do is a big ask. the usual mod MO (CSPAM mods aside) is to not show up in the thread at all, but send other mods to vouch for your character instead.

then it all either blows over (and nothing changes) or explodes so badly that they post an insane screed and quit (see: PPJ, Burt). just loving engaging and listening to your peers is important, and usually gets completely ignored for as long as possible.

there's also the offshoot of "promise to stay out of whatever thread is yelling at you, then send your pet ik to smite them"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

it will always amaze me that over the course of many threads in QCS about PPJ's modding, not once did he ever make anything resembling a substantial response to the criticisms of him. I'm not even sure he ever responded at all.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Giga Gaia posted:

good trick for life in general but especially when you decide to moderate an internet forum because youre dumb as dirt and your brain is just a haystack over top of a salt lick

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

also speaking from experience I expect a good number of the cases of mods “closing ranks” is almost certainly actually mods frantically dming each other trying to figure out what the gently caress is happening and getting no/bad information and being afraid to say anything at all because the answer “we’re talking privately to figure out what the gently caress this is” is taken about as well here as telling a boston resident that the sox suck as the bars close

i think greater transparency is good and should be a thing but holy hell we’ve created a culture where it’s toxic because people want transparency to mean perfect information or at least validating their bullshit theories on demand instead of lots of “iunno” and “we’re looking into this”

anyway ill take a daves double with a large diet coke and could I get a lemon in the coke

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

corgski posted:

also speaking from experience I expect a good number of the cases of mods “closing ranks” is almost certainly actually mods frantically dming each other trying to figure out what the gently caress is happening and getting no/bad information and being afraid to say anything at all because the answer “we’re talking privately to figure out what the gently caress this is” is taken about as well here as telling a boston resident that the sox suck as the bars close

i think greater transparency is good and should be a thing but holy hell we’ve created a culture where it’s toxic because people want transparency to mean perfect information or at least validating their bullshit theories on demand instead of lots of “iunno” and “we’re looking into this”

anyway ill take a daves double with a large diet coke and could I get a lemon in the coke

for you buddy it's gonna be a lemon party

where is anyone asking for perfect imformation? I really think you're arguing with a ghost here, or at least transferring things from your own mod stuff.

anyway i'll take a goatse and a vintage image macro to go, hold the dickbutt

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Actually "we're talking privately to figure out what the gently caress this is" would be grudgingly accepted, it'd just be embarrassing to the mods to admit they've got no idea what the gently caress is going on.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Lmao corgski is typing huge post and being interrogated like a POW wherever they mod, owned hugely.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

corgski posted:

any information whatsoever is also not a huge ask

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

it will always amaze me that over the course of many threads in QCS about PPJ's modding, not once did he ever make anything resembling a substantial response to the criticisms of him. I'm not even sure he ever responded at all.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the reason why "we're talking privately" goes down poorly is because it's been used for years as qcs shorthand for "we're ignoring this"

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Giga Gaia posted:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Giga Gaia posted:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yinlock posted:

the reason why "we're talking privately" goes down poorly is because it's been used for years as qcs shorthand for "we're ignoring this"

yeah exactly. we’re not saying PPJ should’ve responded to every criticism immediately, we’re saying people would’ve chilled out a bit if he had ever responded to anything, at all.

complete, indefinite silence is the norm.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here’s a simple way to fix that, which will never be implemented: give a response time. take the time to discuss, if needed; an answer isn’t needed that hour, or that day, or even that week.

for gently caress’s sake just say “we’ll discuss it internally, and provide a response by the 15th at the latest.” and stick to it. a counter example is the effort post by Jeffrey that was promised repeatedly during the PPJ crisis but never came.

right now, the combination of secret deliberations behind closed doors + no urgency to come to a decision or do anything difficult + no mod/community communication as the norm during times of crisis = ‘we’re discussing it’ means it’s buried forever.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Fly Molo posted:

here’s a simple way to fix that, which will never be implemented: give a response time. take the time to discuss, if needed; an answer isn’t needed that hour, or that day, or even that week.

lmao, imagine thinking this would be satisfactory to more than 10% of SA posters, cspam included

come on

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jose can huff my loving shorts and McDonald's needs to wear the Tucker av instead of probing people

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Sailor Cat posted:

I think this perfectly demonstrates what's wrong with the modmins: you guys go into a panic at any threat to your internet powers, and will believe anything to keep them. At best, it's intellectually lazy and dishonest. It never occurred to anyone that PPJ was using the spy story as a cover? Or that you can't really be a spy if you use the same name on discord as on the forums? Or that it was time to pull the plug on the "operation" when you found out he was contributing to racist chat? Or that defending him was a fool's errand when the forums found out?

Like 99% of the modmin problems come down to them doing stupid, knee-jerk things in a panicked bid to maintain power. STOP DEFENDING EACH OTHER EVERYTIME ONE OF YOU GETS CAUGHT. QUESTION YOUR FELLOW MODS BEFORE THEY DO REAL DAMAGE. STOP RUNNING SECRET OPERATIONS, NONE OF YOU HAVE THE ABILITY OR INTEGRITY AND IT'S loving STUPID ANYWAY. DON'T CIRCLE THE WAGONS WHEN ONE OF YOU IS CAUGHT OUT. STOP SEEING THE REST OF US AS A THREAT TO YOUR PRECIOUS MOD POWERS. YOU'RE NOT SMARTER THAN THE REST OF US SO JUST ADMIT WHEN YOU DO SOMETHING STUPID, IT'S NOT LIKE IT'S A SURPRISE

And yeah, I'm yelling at you LK, even though you're no longer a mod. You're as guilty as the rest, and I hope you feel embarrassed, if not ashamed, for your role in maintaining a status quo that included a Nazi mod. Dude is totally a Nazi, by the way. There's like a 0% chance he didn't join that discord first and concocted that spy alibi to cover his rear end. I believe that you believe him, but I also believe that he's a liar and you're purposely being naive because you don't want to admit you were fooled.

p. decent slashie/tiny bronto impersonation

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

the mod situation would probably be a lot better with the person who owns the forums actually being interested in administrating them

everyone seems to have wildly different expectations of mods, including the mods themselves

gently caress burt either way, tho

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

for gently caress’s sake just say “we’ll discuss it internally, and provide a response by the 15th at the latest.” and stick to it. a counter example is the effort post by Jeffrey that was promised repeatedly during the PPJ crisis but never came.

this is legit

quote:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Fly Molo posted:

right now, the combination of secret deliberations behind closed doors + no urgency to come to a decision or do anything difficult + no mod/community communication as the norm during times of crisis = ‘we’re discussing it’ means it’s buried forever.

"We're discussing things all the time but we also never really talk much in the mod forum or the discord" is the message they're putting forward right now
:thunk:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Flunky posted:

the mod situation would probably be a lot better with the person who owns the forums actually being interested in administrating them

everyone seems to have wildly different expectations of mods, including the mods themselves

I agree with all of this. the problem is that the owner hasn't given a poo poo for a long time, and right now there really isn't an owner, essentially. sure, it's still shithead, but no one's going to listen to him. that means no one's in charge, so of course we're not going to get a collective answer or action on stuff from modmins right now (and probably why in the past, to some extent, too). everyone is just sort of treading water.

I also think that the role of mods and admins and iks should be made clear once we get past all the uncertainty. things like what's expected of them, how processes for making decisions work, what their roles are, and accountability measures should all be defined as clearly as possible going forward.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Jeffery has been our leader tho? Like, he was made Head Admin. Going Head Admin to site owner would only be different for the few times lowtax showed up, during all of the lulls between him making GBS threads the place up the modmins were the ones in control. Now I will grant both that there's still an effect of having lowtax come back at any time and that he did have ultimate authority, but by the sound of things he almost never used it.

I think a lot of the moderation team is using Lowtax as something of a shield against self reflection on the moderation culture here; it would be so much nicer if lowtax alone actually was what was wrong with things. But the two people who I consider to have been in active control of things (jeff and reene) aren't here right now.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^yeah, ‘we can’t change _____ because lowtax’ has been a common excuse for a while now. now that he’s gone, it’ll be interesting to see what changes (or doesn’t change).

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

"We're discussing things all the time but we also never really talk much in the mod forum or the discord" is the message they're putting forward right now
:thunk:

yeah, very mixed messages. and even when issues do get discussed, the appearance (from the outside) is that issues get dropped for ‘later discussion’ if there isn’t a quick easy fix (ie. ban someone). it speaks to a lack of resources and organization.

any big or complicated change? nope, everyone’s too busy to figure that out now, we’ll circle back later (never).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

T-man posted:

Jeffery has been our leader tho? Like, he was made Head Admin. Going Head Admin to site owner would only be different for the few times lowtax showed up, during all of the lulls between him making GBS threads the place up the modmins were the ones in control. Now I will grant both that there's still an effect of having lowtax come back at any time and that he did have ultimate authority, but by the sound of things he almost never used it.

I think a lot of the moderation team is using Lowtax as something of a shield against self reflection on the moderation culture here; it would be so much nicer if lowtax alone actually was what was wrong with things. But the two people who I consider to have been in active control of things (jeff and reene) aren't here right now.

the admins seem content to pin everything on lowtax, completely ignoring the fact that lowtax appointed them