Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Ape of Naples posted:

What's wrong with making a grilled cheese on a cast iron pan?

Not a thing. I just made one last night in cast iron. Came out perfect.

Jesus, quite the snipe.

Here:

https://i.imgur.com/RIDhNtk.gifv

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Jun 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

Not a thing. I just made one last night in cast iron. Came out perfect.

Jesus, quite the snipe.

Here:

https://i.imgur.com/RIDhNtk.gifv
Yeah, I don't see the issue as long as there's enough butter. I'm fine with mayo too but in a cast iron I'd go heavy with the butter and it'd be fine.

And Huskies are hard to give pills to. You really just have to be an rear end in a top hat and shove down their throat.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

What's wrong with making a grilled cheese on a cast iron pan?

You have to run it through the dishwasher two or three times to get rid of the melted cheese

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You have to run it through the dishwasher two or three times to get rid of the melted cheese

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

He's an rear end in a top hat but Black Books and IT Crowd are great. And Father Ted is amazing.

Ted and Black Books are amazing and the IT Crowd has some good bits, but glinner's contribution to them is severely overstated: he's good at creating a part that fits a specific comedian, but most of the really memorable stuff from Father Ted and Black Books comes from said comedians ad-libbing and growing into the characters themselves.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dude. Just use brillo

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

I will bite in the sense that I hope everyone who uses a cast iron knows you can scrape any stuck poo poo off with like a chisel if softer methods don't work. Try a spatula first.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Beachcomber posted:

Whoops, it's a mixing bowl.

When you make fettuccine alfredo from scratch, you need to pour the hot noodles into a mixing bowl containing the butter, cream, and parmesan cheese.

I took the noodles off the burner, turned the gas off, and then went over to the sink to drain them. I then went back to the mixing bowl, which I moved, without thinking,to the still hot burner because I didn't want to pour the noodles over the kitchen island, or something. The base of the mixing bowl melted into the metal thing that goes above a gas burner.

Could be worse, years ago I was making mac & cheese on a gas stove, I had just pulled the macaroni off to drain & was about to start the cheese. Noticed a couple noodles fell under the metal grate/cover on the gas burner & like a loving idiot, grabbed it with my bare hand to lift it up & get the noodles. Yeah, that one hurt like hell & left 3 of the fingers on my hand blistered, it was a nightmare.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

doverhog posted:

I will bite in the sense that I hope everyone who uses a cast iron knows you can scrape any stuck poo poo off with like a chisel if softer methods don't work. Try a spatula first.

As opposed to wiping down teflon with a wet paper towel. The whole point of grilled cheese is that it's quick and painless.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Teflon's great if you want your food to add just a hint of car fluid to it's flavor profile.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Whybird posted:

Ted and Black Books are amazing and the IT Crowd has some good bits, but glinner's contribution to them is severely overstated: he's good at creating a part that fits a specific comedian, but most of the really memorable stuff from Father Ted and Black Books comes from said comedians ad-libbing and growing into the characters themselves.

Also worth pointing out that for Father Ted, his co-writer was Arthur Mathews* and Black Books it was Dylan Moran, whilst he was the sole writer for The IT Crowd and I think it's clear that these guys added the real magic to those shows.

quote:

Mathews has contributed to many sketch shows, including Harry Enfield and Chums, The All New Alexei Sayle Show and the Ted & Ralph segments of The Fast Show. However, it was with Father Ted (three series, 1995–1998) that he and Graham Linehan made their biggest impression. It debuted on Channel 4.[1][2][3] The writing partnership had previously co-written the comedy Paris[4] (one series, 1994), also for Channel 4. Both Linehan and Mathews worked on the first series of sketch show Big Train, but Linehan dropped out for the second series. Mathews has also contributed to other British comedies such as Brass Eye, Jam, Black Books and later Toast of London. H

Moo the cow has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Jun 27, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MizPiz posted:

Teflon's great if you want your food to add just a hint of car fluid to it's flavor profile.

Get a better non-stick pan this isn't the fuckin 60's anymore

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Are you suggesting that the current generations of Teflon pans aren't filling my bloodstream with numerous carcinogens that never leave?

If so I need to hit eBay

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I make my grilled cheese on aluminum foil on top of my car's engine. Like a man.
E: And before all you bitch about it I only use aluminum foil because my old lady was around. Best not to get her angry. Ifn I had my choice it'd be directly on the block. The grease gives it a smokey barbecue flavor.

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Jun 27, 2020

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not referring to Lowtax, dumbass

e: in your defense, that post did come after that terrible jojoinnit post so I can see why you'd think I was adding on. I wasn't; I hadn't even made it to that post yet. I just wanted to make fun of the pastry

Fair enough. I wasn’t actually telling you to gently caress off, I thought it was funny. I was just wondering why the one guy got told Don’t for making fun of Lowtax when it’s all anybody has been doing in every thread.

Edit: and if you saying “roll with the punches” wasn’t a lowtax related quip, then I rescind what I said about it being funny. That’s what made it funny. Dunno why that makes me a dumbass. Maybe work out your anger elsewhere.

The Maestro has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Jun 27, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

Are you suggesting that the current generations of Teflon pans aren't filling my bloodstream with numerous carcinogens that never leave?

If so I need to hit eBay

I saw this advertisement on TV about a pan made out of ceramic or something and even baked on cheese just slides right off. We should all buy one of those. And we should all buy Pizzazs as well.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The slapchop is actually pretty flimsy and disappointing. The magic bullet is okay, but not really better or any different than most other blenders. Cleaning it sucks about equally.

The clapper is pretty great though. Would recommend.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Maestro posted:

Fair enough. I wasn’t actually telling you to gently caress off, I thought it was funny. I was just wondering why the one guy got told Don’t for making fun of Lowtax when it’s all anybody has been doing in every thread.

Edit: and if you saying “roll with the punches” wasn’t a lowtax related quip, then I rescind what I said about it being funny. That’s what made it funny. Dunno why that makes me a dumbass. Maybe work out your anger elsewhere.

I think there's a difference between making fun of a domestic abuser and making fun of domestic abuse.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I saw this advertisement on TV about a pan made out of ceramic or something and even baked on cheese just slides right off. We should all buy one of those. And we should all buy Pizzazs as well.

It's the same thing, it's just a silica based nonstick agent instead of a carbon based one. "Ceramic" nonsticks have been around for a while, they're maybe a little more durable than traditional nonsticks in exchange for being slightly less non-sticky. The ones advertised on TV are the absolute worst though.

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Thank you for this. The gtr, the cookies. All of it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

there is nothing funny about that :colbert:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I agrees. Let's discuss.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That pan looks terrible. Clean it until it shines!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Cleaning it?

But then how will it generate flavour chunks?

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

freeedr posted:

Teflon is only good if you’re making an inside-out grilled cheese which I never do under fear of penalty by the cheesemen

And you better not slip.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

This really is a brave new world of a modless hellscape

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I get real strong Smelly Salad bowl vibes off the cast iron aficionados. If my le creuset is dirty I clean it. It's just a pan. Cast iron isn't even good for distributing heat.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

This is a stupid discussion. Both cast iron and nonstick pans are great.

Get yourself some cheapass T-Fal nonstick pans. Purchase some Lodge cast iron pans. Purchase a chain mail cleaner. Season the gently caress out of the cast iron with a high smokepoint oil (someone on the Internet did a "experiment to the point of absurdity" on seasoning oils, go find that). Proceed to cook anything you like in either, excepting tomatoes in the cast iron and real high-heat stuff (or oven-baked) in the nonstick. Eat the food, rejoice that you live in the modern age where you can have raw food delivered and cook it easily. Clean the cast iron with the chain mail under hot water (a minute tops), the T-Fal with soap/hot water/brush or just a paper towel if you insist. Now you can get back to shitposting about Logan's Run.

The end.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I mostly use a ceramic non stick pan for actual cooking. :shrug:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

use soap on your cast iron unless you enjoy

DesperateDan posted:

flavour chunks?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

But not the end of this discussion, I bet!

The Maestro posted:

If you're accusing someone of making fun of domestic abuse you should be aware that a lot of people don't like that. I will say that the current everything situation has everybody on edge though

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

jjack229 posted:

Is that a slice of bread between two pieces of cheese?

Of course not, that would be ridiculous

Its toast.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I cook on a misshapen rock.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Aramoro posted:

I get real strong Smelly Salad bowl vibes off the cast iron aficionados. If my le creuset is dirty I clean it. It's just a pan. Cast iron isn't even good for distributing heat.

Le creuset is covered in an enamel, you don't need to worry about seasoning it because the enamel is already acting as a protective coating. Cast iron doesn't distribute heat quickly and evenly, but it does retain heady extremely well so when you throw your cold food in, the temperature of the pan doesn't plummet and then need to come back up.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Our kitchen island is made of some kind of bullshit cement tile that's hell to get clean. Stove just wipes off. Also, I don't usually use that burner.

doverhog posted:

I mostly use a ceramic non stick pan for actual cooking. :shrug:

Do those work? I thought those were an As Seen on TV scam.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

I cook on a misshapen rock.

I lean my self heating meals against a rock or something.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I grabbed a ceramic non-stick cheap-as-poo poo possibly-from-TV pan at Walmart when my last non-stick went M.I.A. It worked well for a while but you get what you pay for. Which was a great pan for two weeks and probably complicated rare cancers in 30 years when the new chemical intermediaries turn out to be deadly.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bar Crow posted:

I lean my self heating meals against a rock or something.

I lean my meals against a self-heating, glowing rock.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Trabant posted:

I lean my meals against a self-heating, glowing rock.

Those are pretty neat. They also make nifty hand warmers in the winter too.

Unrelated, my finger joints have been hurting something fierce lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Le creuset is covered in an enamel, you don't need to worry about seasoning it because the enamel is already acting as a protective coating. Cast iron doesn't distribute heat quickly and evenly, but it does retain heady extremely well so when you throw your cold food in, the temperature of the pan doesn't plummet and then need to come back up.

A range of the cast iron pans are just enamelled on the outside. Only my casseroles are enamelled all over.