Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Outrail posted:

What if everyone involved are idealistic but lazy with no experience in managing anything and constantly take the easiest option with zero foresight ?

They should probably just donate to an existing charity. I don't think a lawyer can solve any of those problems other than lack of foresight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

EwokEntourage posted:

Thank you for keeping me employed

'No! We can't afford to keep paying people to do this kind of thing and we can figure this out on our own'.

Repeat the above at a committee meeting every few months. Never once look at how much of everyone's time this is wasting. Never consider the legal maelstrom brewing. Never consider its worth paying for at the very least a few hours just for some basic advice. Just keep insisting 'we're on top of it, we'll have an answer soon'.

I'm not mad.

My nonlegal advice is 'do not ever expect a volunteer to help you with anything technical, or anything that requires more than two hours of ongoing attention. If someone's not getting paid they will lose interest, or they'll forget, or they'll try to do it their way and it will turn to poo poo'.

Very rarely you get a diamond who is actually passionate about excel files or filing paperwork or following boring procedures for no personal gain. And you find one of these hosed in the head weirdos you hold onto them like a drowning man on a life raft.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 27, 2020

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
Not really sure where to post this, but here it goes

I'm a software engineer. My girlfriend moved out of state before covid happened. I'm going to be moving to live with her when my lease is up on Sept 1. Originally, my plan was to tell my boss I was moving in the beginning of August and try to float the idea of me working remotely, knowing he'd say no as my company doesn't allow remote work, but thought it was worth a shot as I actually like my job quite a bit.

Now, my whole company has been working remotely for months due to covid. There isn't a set date when we are going back into the office, but there has been talk of staggered re-entry starting in August. My company is really big and the office I work in has about 1k people, with my department having like 150. So, talk is that we will be the last department to have to come back into the office, which may take until the new year, but no one really knows yet.

Now I'm undecided in regard to what to do here. I'm considering the idea of not telling my job I'm moving at all, and continuing to work remotely until we get a date in which we have to be back in the office, as we'll have at least a 2 week notice. I was thinking of just telling my boss that my girlfriend is moving and I'll be helping her move and will be hanging out there for a while after, which shouldn't be a big deal as a few of the people on my team have gone out of state when this all started to their parents or whatever to stay and work. Then, when I get a date when we all have to be back in the office, just say I'm going to stay where I am and ask to be able to work remotely.

I'm thinking this is the best idea, because I'm not sure what the reaction will be if I say I'm moving before we get back in the office as this is entirely new ground. I think there is a chance I'd be let go (probably a small one, but I think it exists) or, even possibly, my salary cut due to me living in a major city at the moment and moving to an area where the cost of living is way lower.

I guess I'm just worried that if my job found out I moved, if that itself is grounds for termination. Though, I don't know how they would find out if I tell them I'm going to be helping my girlfriend move and staying with her. Another question I was wondering about is if unemployment would apply to me and how that would work. Like, my job can be done remotely, but we have a no-remote work policy(which may or may not change, no idea yet), so I don't know if I'd be able to collect unemployment if they do decide to let me go? And if I was able to collect, how that would work since my I'll be living in a different state (my company has a satellite office in the new state I'll be living, if that matters).

Anyway, just looking for some advice on what to do.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Good luck

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

sausage king of Chicago posted:

Not really sure where to post this, but here it goes

I'm a software engineer. My girlfriend moved out of state before covid happened. I'm going to be moving to live with her when my lease is up on Sept 1. Originally, my plan was to tell my boss I was moving in the beginning of August and try to float the idea of me working remotely, knowing he'd say no as my company doesn't allow remote work, but thought it was worth a shot as I actually like my job quite a bit.

Now, my whole company has been working remotely for months due to covid. There isn't a set date when we are going back into the office, but there has been talk of staggered re-entry starting in August. My company is really big and the office I work in has about 1k people, with my department having like 150. So, talk is that we will be the last department to have to come back into the office, which may take until the new year, but no one really knows yet.

Now I'm undecided in regard to what to do here. I'm considering the idea of not telling my job I'm moving at all, and continuing to work remotely until we get a date in which we have to be back in the office, as we'll have at least a 2 week notice. I was thinking of just telling my boss that my girlfriend is moving and I'll be helping her move and will be hanging out there for a while after, which shouldn't be a big deal as a few of the people on my team have gone out of state when this all started to their parents or whatever to stay and work. Then, when I get a date when we all have to be back in the office, just say I'm going to stay where I am and ask to be able to work remotely.

I'm thinking this is the best idea, because I'm not sure what the reaction will be if I say I'm moving before we get back in the office as this is entirely new ground. I think there is a chance I'd be let go (probably a small one, but I think it exists) or, even possibly, my salary cut due to me living in a major city at the moment and moving to an area where the cost of living is way lower.

I guess I'm just worried that if my job found out I moved, if that itself is grounds for termination. Though, I don't know how they would find out if I tell them I'm going to be helping my girlfriend move and staying with her. Another question I was wondering about is if unemployment would apply to me and how that would work. Like, my job can be done remotely, but we have a no-remote work policy(which may or may not change, no idea yet), so I don't know if I'd be able to collect unemployment if they do decide to let me go? And if I was able to collect, how that would work since my I'll be living in a different state (my company has a satellite office in the new state I'll be living, if that matters).

Anyway, just looking for some advice on what to do.

I certainly don't have any advice but I'm curious why where you live should affect your salary. Granted you may be making more than the prevailing wages for the area where you're planning to relocate, but if the company doesn't have offices in that location, why should that have any bearing on your pay? I have never known a private company who paid me based on my cost of living.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I worked for a global market research company that would vary your pay based on which country you lived rather than which country you were researching.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Anyone got a referral for an NYC lawyer with Missouri business law experience? Just wondering, no reason, PM me.

if your lawyer doesn't tell you not to take over sa, you should fire them and find a lawyer who will

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Outrail posted:

I worked for a global market research company that would vary your pay based on which country you lived rather than which country you were researching.

I feel like it's a little different when you're looking at different countries vs different states. It sounds like your company was set up for remote work or had offices in those places, right?

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

BonerGhost posted:

I certainly don't have any advice but I'm curious why where you live should affect your salary. Granted you may be making more than the prevailing wages for the area where you're planning to relocate, but if the company doesn't have offices in that location, why should that have any bearing on your pay? I have never known a private company who paid me based on my cost of living.

OP has an entirely reasonable fear here. For example, Facebook is the vanguard of trying to roll back uniform remote work pay, claiming that the COVID spike in work-from-home gives them an "opportunity" to save money if someone moves away from (for example) the Bay Area. In fact, a lot of remote work positions explicitly or implicitly set your compensation based on where you live. GitLab literally makes you email HR when you move so they can change your salary based on their chosen COLA factor.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BonerGhost posted:

It's called compa-ratio and it's been all the rage in the bay area companies for going on 5 years now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nationwide unions have differentiated pay based on location afaict

For example federal civil service varies based on location

Civil service isn’t technically a union but you get my idea

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Motronic posted:

It's called compa-ratio and it's been all the rage in the bay area companies for going on 5 years now.
How precise to they get? Like if I move to SF to Oakland or Marin, do I get a salary drop? What about Santa Rosa? Like Sacramento obviously would, but what about Vallejo. And if not Vallejo, what about Fairfield?

FWIW, the state is also getting some pay differentials, but it just means certain regions like the bay get more, but it is based on work location. Which makes sense, because while you can live on $40k in Sacramento (for now), less so in SF.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

nm posted:

How precise to they get? Like if I move to SF to Oakland or Marin, do I get a salary drop? What about Santa Rosa? Like Sacramento obviously would, but what about Vallejo. And if not Vallejo, what about Fairfield?

FWIW, the state is also getting some pay differentials, but it just means certain regions like the bay get more, but it is based on work location. Which makes sense, because while you can live on $40k in Sacramento (for now), less so in SF.

If you want the details, https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2020/general-schedule/ has them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nm posted:

It's depends on who HR is using usually. Leviathan Song posted the GSA one. You also have big ones in the private sector like Radford (not worth linking.....their entire business is selling this information so you will find none without a paid account) which have slightly different areas/granularity. It comes down to what data/service the employer is using.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Yeah, but these are based on office location. If you commute from Stockton to SF, you get paid sf wages. I mean the wfh. Seems pretty poo poo if you get a pay cut moving to a different neighborhood.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

euphronius posted:

Nationwide unions have differentiated pay based on location afaict

For example federal civil service varies based on location

Civil service isn’t technically a union but you get my idea

That's part of why I specified private, since federal employment is weird. It's not the same but my spouse is active duty and he is sure as hell paid based on location, but private companies pulling that for remote work is loving insane.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Wouldn't the company also need your address to withhold proper state taxes (assuming you're not moving within the same state, and also assuming you care if the right amount is withheld)?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Idle question: my father-in-law’s will sets up a trust for one of the inheritors and the will names trustees.Those trustees obviously did not sign the will. Being a trustee can be a lot of work. What if one of them just doesn’t want to do it?

Edit: never mind, I actually read the will and it covers this because lawyers know how to write wills. Basically the probate court will assign a trustee.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 28, 2020

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

So, after the CFPB decision, is basically every salary and tenure protection in the executive branch endangered now? How bad is that?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

So, after the CFPB decision, is basically every salary and tenure protection in the executive branch endangered now? How bad is that?

For principal officers who aren’t part of multimember boards, yes... except those didn’t have tenure protections and exist except for CFPB. So not really that bad.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

BonerGhost posted:

I feel like it's a little different when you're looking at different countries vs different states. It sounds like your company was set up for remote work or had offices in those places, right?

Does 'set up for remote work' mean 'We've decided all our analysts are contractors so they just do the work using their own computers and we never actually have any contact with them beyond constant skype calls to micromanage everything they do'?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

nm posted:

Yeah, but these are based on office location. If you commute from Stockton to SF, you get paid sf wages. I mean the wfh. Seems pretty poo poo if you get a pay cut moving to a different neighborhood.

It'd be kind of okay if they based it on 'your pay changes depending on where you live, so that your after tax and living expenses take home is the same no matter where you live'. But that would mean they also will pay you more if you move to a nicer area, lol.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Wouldn't the company also need your address to withhold proper state taxes (assuming you're not moving within the same state, and also assuming you care if the right amount is withheld)?

Yes, you absolutely have to tell your company you've moved states, I don't know why this wasn't the immediate first response. Payroll needs to know. Your state unemployment insurance has to be paid to the right state. State income taxes may need to be withheld. State-level labor laws have to be followed. And so on.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, you absolutely have to tell your company you've moved states, I don't know why this wasn't the immediate first response. Payroll needs to know. Your state unemployment insurance has to be paid to the right state. State income taxes may need to be withheld. State-level labor laws have to be followed. And so on.

Counterpoint: If nobody ever finds out and you never need to use unemployment or anything related to your employment it should be fine. Roll the dice!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Wrong year for anyone to roll those particular dice

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
when returning to america due to the coronavirus, i mailed a package to myself.

it was opened by customs, and then improperly repackaged--i received about 20% of my things, and then it was filled otherwise with items that don't belong to me. i had insurance, but my insurer is saying that due to covid-19 delays, they are not honoring claims on insured items that were held for extended periods of time in foreign processing facilities.

what can i do? my lost belongings had minor monetary value, but i also lost a fair amount of expensive dress/work clothes and i'm getting denied compensation for it

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Outrail posted:

Counterpoint: If nobody ever finds out and you never need to use unemployment or anything related to your employment it should be fine. Roll the dice!

Counter-counterpoint: literal tax fraud.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Kalman posted:

Counter-counterpoint: literal tax fraud.

*If nobody ever finds out*

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Outrail posted:

*If nobody ever finds out, bitchasses*

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Outrail posted:

*If nobody ever finds out*

The state you moved to is definitely going to wonder why you aren’t paying them any taxes when you have a drivers license and vote in that state. They *will* find out.

mithrin
Aug 13, 2007

Hi, does anyone know if there are any legal protections in place, in regards to workers getting laid off and then rehired for a lower pay rate in Oregon, due to COVID-19?

My housemate works for the restaurant industry, and got temporarily laid off (not furloughed) in March and has been collecting unemployment benefits since, but they now want to rehire her, but refuse to do so at the previous rate, stating that they can't afford it (or some nonsense).

She didn't have any sort of paperwork that specified that it was temporary layoff, but for how long she's been there, she feels like it's a slap in the face and is mostly worried that, if she refuses to go back at a lower pay rate, they'll gently caress with her unemployment. So, if she's offered less, is she obligated to go back to work for them?

She normally wouldn't have a problem going back to work for them, but it's kind of a different issue now.

Unemployment offices are notoriously hard to contact these days, so we're just kind of wondering if there are any worker protections, in light of the pandemic. I haven't been able to find anything that would otherwise prevent a business from hiring a worker back for a lower rate, but if anyone knows anything - let me know.

e: clarification

mithrin fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 30, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She could form a union and bargain collectively I guess

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
There are some federal covid specific protections that are so novel she'd have to speak to an employment attorney to figure out if they apply. Said attorney would also evaluate state specific remedies. The general employment law stuff most posters here know just from general law practice would not give her any protection, but it's worth her going through the local bar association attorney referral service for a consultation to find out. Some employment lawyers may do a free consult, but if she can't find one it'd be worth coughing up a few hundo to get one and even a second opinion regardless of what consult #1 recommends.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Plaintiff employment lawyers will generally listen to you for free

mithrin
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks, guys!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
You'll be coughing up more than that in a few weeks if you go near restaurant customers right now

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Stupid theoretical HOA question:

What would give/remove the right of an HOA to regulate parking on public streets within a neighborhood?

On the cesspool that is Nextdoor, one of the nearby HOAs has been placing notes on cars parked in the street threatening to tow. Or, more accurately, a person/group calling themselves the "<misspelled subdivision> Street Patrol" has been doing it. While good for a laugh, in the comments it came out that their HOA rules actually do prohibit on-street parking, and the HOA has in fact sent out notifications that they intend to enforce these rules. However, it should be noted that in most relevant situations, on-street parking is allowed in the city. I also double checked and there are very few private streets in the city, none of which are in this particular subdivision.

In reviewing my own CC&Rs, parking restrictions are noted for RVs/trailers/boats/etc. on, "on any right of way of any roads or streets on the property or adjoining the property." So I take this to mean that even if the city allows me to park my RV on the street in front of my house, the HOA technically does not allow it. This is really a non-issue for me (no RVs and our HOA is pretty lax), but it got me curious.

The important part here seems to be that the Honorable Google Esq., JD, says that in my state (NC), we don't have any sort of case law or written law that either grants or revokes the right of an HOA to control parking in that manner, which from what I can tell means that there is no definite answer until someone decides to drag this through the courts. I expect towing would be a HUGE no-no (except by the city for cars that violate ordinance), but fines seem likely.

So really, the question is: what elements would need to be present for either side to win? On the surface it seems pretty simple, but the more I think about it the more complicated it seems. It really boils down to, "The HOA has no authority on public streets" versus "You're contractually bound by these clauses," and I can see that both arguments have some merit (though I would prefer the former, since I'm not a blue-haired busybody trying to control my neighbor's lives).

Bonus, exhibit A:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

That’s actually one of the bs rules that I happily got rid of in our HOA. I considered it unenforceable.

That you can’t find any relevant case law tells me that most people also realize that it’s unenforceable.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Stupid theoretical HOA question:

What would give/remove the right of an HOA to regulate parking on public streets within a neighborhood?

The number one thing to determine here before any of the rest of your post comes into play: are these actually public streets? Because in most HOAs around here.....they are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
An HOA's bylaws would typically set out what their available enforcement mechanisms are (fines, towing, etc.).

As a general rule, unless there is a state, county, or municipal statute that says, "HOAs and POAs cannot regulate XYZ." then homeowners can all get together and agree to regulate XYZ amongst themselves; including things like on-street parking, grass being mowed, and even parking on driveways.

A properly incorporated, and established HOA can regulate whether people are allowed to park cars in their driveways or not.