Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The bug-off is pretty easy to cheese your score with ants. They respawn fast and you don't have to chase them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Termite Hill looks pretty awesome though.

Someone could come up with some really creative landscapes/interiors with them and the spiderwebs.

You could pretend it's where the antlions make their nest on the island.

Anyone going for the full 300? I'm getting 120 (enough to get one copy of each prize) and calling it quits. And then I'll dump some of the prizes, because toy centipede and stuff are awful. Sorry Flick, love your models, but tiny toys... yech.

If it had been a full ladybug furniture set, I would have been so on board.

ETA: Or lots of butterfly stuff. Or even gothic centipede and spider furniture stuff.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The toys are amazing because they're small enough to walk on so you can put them anywhere. I'm real happy with all the rewards for the bug off.

Except the spider doorplate.

Mainly because I have four of them. I wanted more creepy toys, not dumb welcome signs!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Yeah the loot kind of sucks huh. I like the butterfly wallpaper. Wish there was a flooring too, I wanted my basement to be a bug room. I got to 200 on my own and that was more than enough

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Waffle! posted:

The bug-off is pretty easy to cheese your score with ants. They respawn fast and you don't have to chase them.

the bug-off in general is easy. I got 300 points in an hour versus only getting 100 an hour during the fishing tourney.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

madeupfred posted:

the bug-off in general is easy. I got 300 points in an hour versus only getting 100 an hour during the fishing tourney.

Solo or with friends?

Cause playing solo it felt faster then fishing tourney, but I was probably closer to 100 points an hour, averaging 8-10 points a round?

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Oxyclean posted:

Solo or with friends?

Cause playing solo it felt faster then fishing tourney, but I was probably closer to 100 points an hour, averaging 8-10 points a round?

yeah, I was solo and getting 15 points minimum every round in the bug-off. during the fishing tourney i was struggling to get more than 6.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Come and take my extras! Please! Please please please! Anything in the shops is up for grabs, and my island is one big flower bomb for bug catching. Doodles make me happy, I don't need anything else. If you do have a pink Cute bed I could touch, I would love that. Dodo Code: closed

Bonster fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 27, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Waffle! posted:

I'm going to spread out a group of ten rotten turnips for the next one. Luckily my daughter had one because she loves ants, so we farmed that one a bunch. Spider webs are neat and I want to get a bunch for October.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

-I like the toy centipede a lot, but cockroaches are one of the bugs I actually dislike
-I assumed the butterfly wall would be animated, and while it’s too bad it isn’t it does have a cool matte/glossy thing going on
-If the prizes weren’t random I’d get, like, 4 termite mounds
-The artisanal bug cage is awesome, especially since it can replace a real dresser

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah, I like the rewards for this a lot more than the fishing tourney but I wish you could just spend the points on particular prizes, because after 300 points I have two artisanal bug cages (the thing I want most), but I have three or four of things I either didn't really want (the toy bugs), or of things I don't really need more than one of (the shirt, the wallpaper, the wand).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

runchild posted:

-If the prizes weren’t random I’d get, like, 4 termite mounds

Yeah that thing's awesome, I pooped out after 8 or 10 prizes but I would keep going if I could buy more mounds specifically.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I did 4 rounds of this bug off thing and it just isn't worth the effort. I don't have any rotten turnips so I don't have a steady supply of ants to cheese it with. So I'm just running around like an idiot catching like 5 or 6 bugs max. Bugs just aren't interested in coming out in my town today.

The fishing thing was better cause at least I could throw a bunch of bait in a row and get the fish that way, but the bugs it's just run around and hope they spawn. And bugs don't seem to spawn nearly as often as you'd think they would.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Also I thought the spawn rates were bumped up at first because I caught over a dozen the first time, but after that averaged maybe six and never touched ten again.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also I thought the spawn rates were bumped up at first because I caught over a dozen the first time, but after that averaged maybe six and never touched ten again.

I averaged a lot more catches when I was doing it myself, but the number of points was about the same.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Going by my own notes, I had higher average than that (at the least, I hit 310 points after 31 rounds), but certainly I don't think spawn rates were bumped. I've not really delved into what, if anything, can influence bug spawns. For my own island at least, I have, for example, a decent number of trees, a poo poo-town of flowers, and a bunch of stumps. By intention, my island has 50% of its area relatively 'wild'. Since I like catching fish and bugs, and have done lots of that, I already had 'preferred' circuits to run during rounds.

As the most wild outlier, my best round saw me catch 16 bugs. I was pretty much running into the spawns on that one. That was *far* in excess of the norm though.

Still, I enjoyed this event, like I enjoyed the fishing stuff. Now I just need to plan how to incorporate the various rewards into my house's 'trophy room'.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I got 14 on my best run. Most runs were around 10. Shitloads of flowers and a bunch of stumps, but the stumps didn't matter since I tended to scare the bugs off before even noticing they were there. The bulk of it was the commonest butterflies, ladybirds, mantises, long locusts and the occasional pond skater. Got at least one rarer butterfly each time, most times two. Dragonflies I didn't even bother with unless they were right in front of me, chasing them took too much time. Still made bank though, thanks Flick you're a cool guy

Once both Bam and Maggie were right up at a stump, one on either side, nets poised, staring into a violin beetle's face until I ran by and scared it off :lol:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Went a full day without my net breaking. I legit forgot that it shatters

The second Bug Off was over I swung it once and it popped and now I'm back to hating this insanely lovely design choice.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I seemed to have better luck with bug spawns if I entered and exited a building before starting. Of course that could easily be placebo.

But I definitely averaged more bugs per round than I did fish. I think my worst was 5. Sure, you can use bait for fish, but I would guess any time saved that way is balanced out by the digging and crafting involved.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I guess we mostly have to trade for the other color door frames... I got tons of purple ones *nevermind, you can customize

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

eating only apples posted:

Once both Bam and Maggie were right up at a stump, one on either side, nets poised, staring into a violin beetle's face until I ran by and scared it off :lol:

lol I love the reactions to scaring bugs off, and their sadness when they finally swing for one but inevitably gently caress up and miss. I only wish they also did something other than the generic applause when you swoop in and steal one they're going for.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Went a full day without my net breaking. I legit forgot that it shatters

The second Bug Off was over I swung it once and it popped and now I'm back to hating this insanely lovely design choice.

Seriously, the fishing contest and the bug off were super fun to do with friends, and really shows that tools being able to break adds nothing to the game. At the very least, golden tools should have been unbreakable.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Anyone want a flower bombing? I'm weeding out some flowers and don't want to just get rid of hybrids.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Nets and rods are prevented from breaking during a Bug-Off or fishing tourney. Don't catch anything in the last 10 seconds or so and go straight into another round and your tool will last forever

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

jivjov posted:

Nets and rods are prevented from breaking during a Bug-Off or fishing tourney. Don't catch anything in the last 10 seconds or so and go straight into another round and your tool will last forever

My net broke on the last bug I caught during one of my rounds. They'll still break but I don't think they'll break as long as the clock is ticking

edit: I guess that's more or less what you said

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I am profoundly disappointed that the spider web item is a wall-hanger, and thus unable to be displayed outside. We need to be able to hang them on cliffs or between trees or SOMEthing.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Hoping the Dream Suite is activated by the end of this year so I can walk around some cool haunted/abandoned houses that could benefit from those webs come Halloween time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Macaluso posted:

My net broke on the last bug I caught during one of my rounds. They'll still break but I don't think they'll break as long as the clock is ticking

edit: I guess that's more or less what you said

Yeah, I didn't explain it super well. The net is immortal for the duration of the Bug-Off, and the check for "should this break" occurs after the catching animation. So catching something in the last handful of seconds places that break check after the timer has expired.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The lady bug rug, bug wand, and the termite mound are the best things I got from the bug fest.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bonster posted:

I averaged a lot more catches when I was doing it myself, but the number of points was about the same.

Doing Bug Off with my friend, we found that we did better if I waited for a minute or two before starting the next round than if I just started it again as soon as we both cashed in our bugs. I actually did better on my own, but that was entirely due to the fact that I could catch ants from turnips.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
If anyone has an extra bug wallpaper I will gladly purchase it

Disregard. Appears I received it.

yippeekiyaymf fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 28, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I was hoping the bug wand would be a spider or beetle. :(

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Gotta say the lady bug rug looks like something I could make on the custom editor, that is to say, it doesn't blend well and looks cheap.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Flick doesn't have a lot of experience making that kind of thing

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I like the shirt

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hey, so I'm having a tech issue. I'm trying to go to my friend's island, and my game connects to the internet and finds her island just fine, but when it says "Getting ready to depart", I get error code 2618-0513: Unable to connect to the other console(s).

I don't know why it's doing that. I checked my Switch's internet connection and everything came back fine. I don't have anything downloading/uploading in my house. I tried restarting my modem and I still get the error even after restarting. Same with restarting the game/system.

Also I've traveled to other islands just fine recently when selling turnips, and I've been to my friend's island before too.

Anyone know a fix for this?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Opening up Insulinde, got some cool DIYs and stuff plus a free Hyacinth lamp for the first 4 people who come and water my flowers, plus a catalog station for all colours of gnome... plus Ables has a Junihitoe Kimono and Kilts....

Code in the PGS thread.

E: Argh comm error, new code coming very shortly.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 28, 2020

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois
Hey friends,

Opening up while I do some Sunday cleaning.

Most notable thing today: Fossil dupes. They are located in the center of the island heading north to the museum. Some more are on the steps and level leading to the museum.

There are DIYs for grabs on the western side of the island, NW of my house. Good stuff for newbies.

Two bags of 99,999 bells on the island.

I didnt have time to make watering cans so if you have your own and can water everything that has dirt under it, that would be great!

Dodo code: closed

Have fun! I removed a lot of furniture to make way for the fossils, dont mind my bare-ish island.

Duccy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 29, 2020

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Rageaholic posted:

Hey, so I'm having a tech issue. I'm trying to go to my friend's island, and my game connects to the internet and finds her island just fine, but when it says "Getting ready to depart", I get error code 2618-0513: Unable to connect to the other console(s).

I don't know why it's doing that. I checked my Switch's internet connection and everything came back fine. I don't have anything downloading/uploading in my house. I tried restarting my modem and I still get the error even after restarting. Same with restarting the game/system.

Also I've traveled to other islands just fine recently when selling turnips, and I've been to my friend's island before too.

Anyone know a fix for this?

you should have your friend check his Switch and his copy of Animal Crossing for updates. edit you should also do this for yourself as well.

madeupfred fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Sylvia is currently in boxes on Fiorina. Let me know if you'd love to have a friendly kangaroo single mom on your island.