Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
Are we in the Cast Iron part of the Zalgo Spiral again already? It's only been 6 months.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wanna pet that round boi

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Let us celebrate the salvation of the forums with a four-page food derail!

(Actually I would like to try one of these cast iron pans, now)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Tree Bucket posted:

Let us celebrate the salvation of the forums with a four-page food derail!

(Actually I would like to try one of these cast iron pans, now)

Just don't go too far down the rabbit hole. Y'see, there's a certain....subset of people, for whom cast iron is a religion, and who will go ON AND ON about how Griswolds from the 1930s are so much better made because they were cast better and are microscopically smoother, which makes the seasoning better and thus the cooking is better and you're a loving idiot for using a Lodge pan.

Which I mean, I'm sure the Griswolds were made better, but also I just don't care. I'm glad you care, someone should, and congrats on making those pans absurdly expensive (I mean, for cast iron) on Ebay, but I don't care, gently caress off and let me cook in peace.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

The Ape of Naples posted:

What's wrong with making a grilled cheese on a cast iron pan?

I made a grilled cheese this morning from the sourdough bread I made a few days ago with some French salted butter and brie. It was delicious and I made it in my ancient cast iron pan that was handed down from my grandma.

Edit: the bread was also made in a cast iron marmite

Mauser has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Jun 27, 2020

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

Bar Crow posted:

I lean my self heating meals against a rock or something.

I appreciate this

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Aramoro posted:

A range of the cast iron pans are just enamelled on the outside. Only my casseroles are enamelled all over.

My understanding is the inside has a black, textured coating so it doesn't rust, it looks and more or less cooks like cast iron but you don't need to maintain the seasoning.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

doverhog posted:

I mostly use a ceramic non stick pan for actual cooking. :shrug:

Beachcomber posted:

Do those work? I thought those were an As Seen on TV scam.

Mine is cast aluminum with a ceramic coating, and have been using it for some years. Got it as a gift so not sure what the cost was, but it works.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I cook my food in a real bed with my wife

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flyinglemur posted:

I cook my food in a real bed with my wife

I also cook in bed with this guy's wife

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I cook that guy's food in that other guy's bed.

No wives involved.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

The Bloop posted:

The old Dutch oven?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

The Bloop posted:

Brother, don't I know it!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Just don't go too far down the rabbit hole. Y'see, there's a certain....subset of people, for whom cast iron is a religion, and who will go ON AND ON about how Griswolds from the 1930s are so much better made because they were cast better and are microscopically smoother, which makes the seasoning better and thus the cooking is better and you're a loving idiot for using a Lodge pan.

Which I mean, I'm sure the Griswolds were made better, but also I just don't care. I'm glad you care, someone should, and congrats on making those pans absurdly expensive (I mean, for cast iron) on Ebay, but I don't care, gently caress off and let me cook in peace.

You can tell a modern Lodge from good quality older name brand stuff (60s and back) just by weight. A Lodge weighs 3-4x what the same size Griswold or Wagner would weigh.

You should see this 1800s gate-marked cast iron skillet I have. It is so beautiful, and is light as a feather.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I cook beds with a self-heating wife.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Stop fighting about grilled cheeses.

Just make a jaffle. No need for skillets, the Jaffle Maker plugs into the wall. And they are much much better.

funny picture tax:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
shoryuken :3:

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

'Jaffle'?

quote:

The most common type in most countries are electrically heated counter-top models, and names vary from place to place: in the United Kingdom, the pie iron is referred to as a "sandwich maker", in Australia, it may be called a Breville after the appliance manufacturer; in Ireland, it may be called a "toastie maker"; and it is sometimes referred to as a "snackwich-maker" or "snackwicher" in South Africa. The term "jaffle maker" is also used in Australia and Indonesia

Much as I like and respect Aussies, could you stop using 5 year olds to name things?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So we’re saying “pie iron” is the grownup name for it?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Data Graham posted:

So we’re saying “pie iron” is the grownup name for it?

pie iron sounds old timey, so yes

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

quote:

This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

lmao, who the gently caress calls it a breville? Jaffles rule.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Pretty sure "toastie maker" is the five year old naming it.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F-IsXPOy1s

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah jaffles are awesome, don't bring hate in here on people's choice of sandwich toasting.

Picture:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Jaffles? That's an odd name. I'd have called it a Chazwozzler!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Memento posted:

Yeah jaffles are awesome, don't bring hate in here on people's choice of sandwich toasting.

Picture:

First read that as “next president of the USA” and I was like “yeah that tracks”

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

jaffle is one of the few Aussie words that hasn't make it over the ditch for whatever reason

why are the called jaffles?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

bike tory posted:

jaffle is one of the few Aussie words that hasn't make it over the ditch for whatever reason

why are the called jaffles?

Genericised trademark

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Cast iron doesn't distribute heat quickly and evenly, but it does retain heady extremely well

THAT'S HEDLEY! :argh:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This is pretty wild

https://twitter.com/peterswellman/status/1276883249369882625

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/jsv4/status/1277048058275074050

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Man poo poo is rough down in Texas

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Field Mousepad posted:

Man poo poo is rough down in Texas

Well yeah, it's full of Texans.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

gently caress I thought we were finally going to find out what to do with a drunken sailor early in the morning

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nothing about straight medium

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Nothing about straight medium

That's just steak that talks to ghosts. Nothing special, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the "rare' is basically burned lol